Windows 7

Discuss computer software and hardware information, along with the latest pc and console gaming news.
maria
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Windows 7

Post by maria »

Hi,
I am using Windows Vista Home Premium. I want to know about Windows 7. Is it better then Vista or not? How it is different then Vista. Windows 7 is faster then Vista? How i can get Windows 7?

ktownwarrior
All-conference
All-conference

Post by ktownwarrior »

If you're coming from a Mac, you'll—-hahahahaha. But seriously, even the Mactards will have to tone down their nasal David Spadian snide, at least a little bit.
Not sure why he made this snide remark, but I've been running the 32-bit RC on my Mac via VMWare Fusion for a while, and I have to say I'm impressed. It's right up there in terms of stability and nice looks that my Snow Leopard has right now. Much faster than the turtle-like Vista, too.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

ktownwarrior wrote:
If you're coming from a Mac, you'll—-hahahahaha. But seriously, even the Mactards will have to tone down their nasal David Spadian snide, at least a little bit.
Not sure why he made this snide remark, but I've been running the 32-bit RC on my Mac via VMWare Fusion for a while, and I have to say I'm impressed. It's right up there in terms of stability and nice looks that my Snow Leopard has right now. Much faster than the turtle-like Vista, too.
:roll: Vista is not slow. if you have the service pask and 2 gigs of ram, its fast. its runs as fast as xp did for. i dont know hwy everyone thinks vista is slow. am i the only who had a good experience with vista?

in any case, I play games and love DX 10, so Mac OS's are usless to me anyways.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

maria wrote:Hi,
I am using Windows Vista Home Premium. I want to know about Windows 7. Is it better then Vista or not? How it is different then Vista. Windows 7 is faster then Vista? How i can get Windows 7?

Maria there are many links in this thread to articles that point out the myriad of differences between the operating systems.

Here's one -> http://www.maximumpc.com/article/review ... s_7_review

Windows 7 is faster. It loads faster, runs smoother, is more secure and supports more drivers.

The thing is, it also comes in a number different flavors.
see here -> [url]http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... itions/url]

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

madeinhawaii wrote:
maria wrote:Hi,

Maria there are many links in this thread to articles that point out the myriad of differences between the operating systems.

Here's one -> http://www.maximumpc.com/article/review ... s_7_review

Windows 7 is faster. It loads faster, runs smoother, is more secure and supports more drivers.

The thing is, it also comes in a number different flavors.
see here -> [url]http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... itions/url]
right now, my only question is, will DX11 ship with windows 7? if so, I am Definately gonna switch.

targets.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

I'm pretty sure maria is a bot, but as for upgrading, my recommendation is if you're buying a new box, definitely get win7 over vista/xp. If you have vista, there's no need to rush to an upgrade, maybe after a win7 service pack or when you get your next machine. If you have an old XP machine, stick with XP but if you have a newer XP box (went with the downgrade) win7 may be for you.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

One question about Win 7. I have XP pro 32 bit, can I use the iupgrade version to install Win 7 pro 64 bit or do I need XP pro 64 bit? I've heard conflicting answers so a link to a Microsoft article would be helpful.
ImageImage

krazychinaman
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Phillies
NBA: None
NFL: Patriots

Post by krazychinaman »

Irse wrote:One question about Win 7. I have XP pro 32 bit, can I use the iupgrade version to install Win 7 pro 64 bit or do I need XP pro 64 bit? I've heard conflicting answers so a link to a Microsoft article would be helpful.
sorry to say but you cant just upgrade from xp to 7...you need to do a full clean install so since you doing a fresh install it dont matter what os you were using before... also cool thing is everything will be install to the pc..all edition of 7 will be install is just lock out if you not using that cd-key...

check out this chart

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

krazychinaman wrote:
Irse wrote:One question about Win 7. I have XP pro 32 bit, can I use the iupgrade version to install Win 7 pro 64 bit or do I need XP pro 64 bit? I've heard conflicting answers so a link to a Microsoft article would be helpful.
sorry to say but you cant just upgrade from xp to 7...you need to do a full clean install so since you doing a fresh install it dont matter what os you were using before... also cool thing is everything will be install to the pc..all edition of 7 will be install is just lock out if you not using that cd-key...

check out this chart

I knew that I had to do a clean install but I'm using the upgrade version which they had on sale earlier. Looks like I can install whatever I want.
ImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

The Cheapest Way to Get Windows 7!

By Danny Allen
1:34 AM on Tue Sep 29 2009

Newegg has listed prices for OEM copies of Windows 7 — technically intended for little computer building businesses, but there's nothing stopping you buying them. And as long as you understand some mostly-minor limitations, you can save some serious money.

Take a look at the table — that's not chump change. Newegg is also taking a further $5 - $15 off some prices for pre-orders before October 20.

Read more:
ImageImageImageImage

NiCkOwNsRTR
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Chicago White Sox
NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder
NFL: Indianapolis Colts

Post by NiCkOwNsRTR »

The RTM version of Windows 7 is out. (well leaked)

I must say, WOW

Night and day BETTER than Vista Ultimate. NO comparison.

Microsoft will hit a homerun with this one.

Vista will become Windows ME 2.0, an OS that should have been avoided.

krazychinaman
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by krazychinaman »

NiCkOwNsRTR wrote:The RTM version of Windows 7 is out. (well leaked)

I must say, WOW

Night and day BETTER than Vista Ultimate. NO comparison.

Microsoft will hit a homerun with this one.

Vista will become Windows ME 2.0, an OS that should have been avoided.
i got the rtm pro from msdnaa (love the fact that we get free software being a student...) and yes is WOW great OS this will replace XP...i love the way the bottom taskbar look...speed is good...uac is alot better...

Poopsnorkeler
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Poopsnorkeler »

The best feature for me so far is the much easier "Run As Administrator" options that Windows 7 presents to a limited-account user whenever there is an important system change that is being requested (say installing new software, updates, changing system settings, etc). Now I might actually log on under a limited-account instead of an administrator account, as most people should to practice safe security.

The old "Run As" command was just too cumbersome... err make that I'm too lazy to do that. :oops:

krazychinaman
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by krazychinaman »

Poopsnorkeler wrote:The best feature for me so far is the much easier "Run As Administrator" options that Windows 7 presents to a limited-account user whenever there is an important system change that is being requested (say installing new software, updates, changing system settings, etc). Now I might actually log on under a limited-account instead of an administrator account, as most people should to practice safe security.

The old "Run As" command was just too cumbersome... err make that I'm too lazy to do that. :oops:

is not new..they had that for vista...

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

ive tried 7, and really, its not much differnt from vista. its a little cleaner, a little faster, but not a huge change IMO.

am i the only one who had no problems with vista?

targets.