Murakami 2020-02-21

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
GoBows2014
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Murakami 2020-02-21

Post by GoBows2014 »

Great pitching and sparkling defense made a fun night at Murakami for the home crowd, 'Bows winning 4-2

UH playing host to Washington State in the second of a four game series, had a beautiful night for baseball, slightly cool, almost no breeze, and just a few minutes here and there of Manoa mist. Number 24 was starting pitcher for UH and Aaron Davenport pitched a superb game, holding the Cougars to no runs through the 6th inning. Cougars were getting hits, and getting men on, but stellar D by the 'Bows kept them on the schnide.

First baseman Alex Baeza was on his best game, with an unassisted DP at 1st to end one inning followed by a next at bat with a solid double. He also had some *incredible* saves, somehow getting his glove on many, many, bad throws from the hill that should have been in the stands or the dugout, and later a late game saving scoop of a one hopper from Dustin Demeter who had charged a 3rd baseline bunt late and they still got the out with men on in a close game. Crowd was going crazy with the superb D! I might be wrong, but I believe they turned at least 3 DP's tonight, the most in one game in many years.

It should all be on OC16, but for games like this? You really want to enjoy the action live!

Two more games in this series, a 6:35 PM game Saturday night and a 1:05 PM Sunday. If you had not heard about Friday night? UHBB lost, but Tai Atkins set the stadium on fire with 7 K's in 3 innings as a middle reliever. Watching Tai come in, and throw 8 strikes out of 9 pitches, retire the side, retire them again in next inning, and still notching K's in his 3rd inning on the hill? Some of the most electrifying pitching we have seen at Murakami in a long time, absolutely sensational!! Tai is a local boy, and only a freshman just out of Kohala & Kamehameha on the Big Island. Kudos to Trap for recruiting lots of local talent this year, and giving our boyz a chance to shine like Tai did on Friday night!

Go Bows!

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Murakami 2020-02-21

Post by shrek2 »

I was only able to watch the Wazzu games on BigWest tv. There are a lot of good things to look forward to in this 2020 team as in the recruits that are local and some of them freshman that are starting and the locals who have transferred into the program. Demeter at third looks like a good move as opposed to second. It's still kind of disappointing to see basic mistakes. One being Logan Poulesen pitching to Collin Montez's wheelhouse in his second at bat homerun as opposed to pitching away. As a fan to watch this happen makes you wonder I'm only watching and can see it so why can't the coaches or the players see it? I'm saying to myself pitch low and outside and no, it comes right down the middle and boom. The other is the baserunning which makes you wonder why they have base coaches. Daylen Calicdan taking a big lead against a pitcher who has a good move to first gets thrown out, Wong got caught going to third on a lineout to left field while Alex Baeza is smart enough to tag up, Scotty Scott gets caught turning inward after a bobble at first and Kaler gets caught going on a lineout to prevent the lead from moving up from 4-0. I guess if you don't care about these little things and have favorites that you like this is a good team to watch because there still is a lot of potential. It will be interesting when they play Vanderbilt who has a pitcher that pitched a no-hitter in last year's NCAA playoffs.

GoBows2014
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Murakami 2020-02-21

Post by GoBows2014 »

Shrek2, great comments on all counts. Runners getting picked off, and yes Baeza vs Wong on the same play just show how inexperienced some of our new team is. We have had more runners picked off in first 9 games this year than we had for season totals for the last decade. Young kids, they'll learn, and they are surely hearing about it from the coaches.

Lots of young gloves, young bats, newbie baserunners. But talent up the ying-yang, I think we'll be fine : )