MBB Rainbow Classic

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

MBB Rainbow Classic

Post by CP3GUY »

2 wins and 1 loss to start the season. The South Dakota and Pacific games were definitely a lot more exciting to watch than the Florida A&M game. Even though they didn't pull out the win against South Dakota, they clawed their way back from a double digit 2nd half deficit and were a few shots, defensive stops, and calls away from pulling that one out.
Some notes for those who weren't able to watch the game:

1. Buggs looked more aggressive in hunting down his shot, but his shots weren't following from 3. He finished the tournament shooting 2/14 from 3-point land (yikes). I think he should look more towards getting his shot via mid-range or driving to the basket. He's been much more effective in both aspects, and he's still the commanding ball-handler, defensive leader, and floor general that is vital to this team's success.

2. Kameron Ng was the first guy off the bench for the guard rotation. Webster injured his ankle a day or so before the tournament and was held out for the entire weekend. Hoping Webster returns for the Friday game against Portland State. But Ng did a very good job this weekend for a true freshman. In the first game, he looked a little rattled possibly from it being his first D1 action. But he looked more aggressive the next two games, attacked the paint with a purpose, and did what the coaches wanted from him so they could give Buggs a quick breather. He was much more confident handling the ball as well in the last 2 games (2 combined turnovers compared to 3 turnovers against Florida A&M).

3. Justin Hemsley struggled with foul trouble in the first game, but had 2 nice bounce back performances in the next two games. He was the first man off the bench in all 3 games, usually coming in for Carper so UH could go with an undersized but quicker rotation. If he stays out of foul trouble I like his potential for this season and beyond.

4. Bernardo Da Silva showed potential in the first game, being a spark off the bench with 11 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 huge blocks (one being a chase down block). He didn't play as much the next 2 games against bigger players (Da Silva is listed at 200 pounds), but I think he'll be a valuable asset off the bench for this team.

5. Eddie Stansberry! He was the man against South Dakota and Pacific, scoring 21 against South Dakota (all in the 2nd half) and 26 against Pacific (playing all 40 minutes and shooting 70% from the field). He didn't get his 3-pointer to fall in the first game and a half, but started the 2nd half against South Dakota by attacking the basket and hitting a couple of mid-range shots, which gave him confidence and opened it up for him to start hitting his 3s. He looks like he'll be the go to scorer on this team.

6. Samuta Avea looked good as well, especially from behind the 3-point line. He connected on just under 50% of his 3s (10/21) and had 15 total rebounds over the weekend. He missed on a few dunks, but he's a strong finisher. I hope he develops a one dribble mid-range shot, because he can rise over the top and hit that over any defender who guards him this season.

7. Dawson Carper got the start in all 3 games, but it was Mate Colina who looked like the better option, especially in the 3rd game. I think Colina showed that he is the better defender, in terms of rotating quicker, boxing out more effectively, holding his ground, and hedging better than Carper. He also has a post game (had a nice post move to a reverse layup against Pacific). If I had to guess, I'd say Colina will start the next game, but that's based off my opinion. I think Carper is fine, but he doesn't finish as strong as he should and his free throw shooting leaves him in a hack-a-Shaq game play. His defense also wasn't as good as I thought it would be, and he doesn't have a post game.

I think this team will be fine, especially come conference play when they get back Owen Hulland and Justin Webster. Those two guys are two players I expect will be key reserves on this team. Even the loss to South Dakota is a good loss for this team. South Dakota returned like 6 of their top 7 scorers or something from last season, and are projected to finish 2nd in their conference. That was a veteran team that UH went toe-to-toe with and could've (and should've) beat.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

Re: MBB Rainbow Classic

Post by Parkpill »

Good takes. I was plesantly surprised at Hemsley's improvement. I can't wait to see Hulland and Webster in action as well. If Stansberry and Avea can be consistent with their 3 pt shooting, this team will do just fine in conference play.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

A decent start to a tumultuous season. Coach Chris was the find of the century.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

I'm curious what the reason is that Villa didn't get in any of the games the entire tournament. All the articles leading into the FAMU game and even the ESPN 1420 pre game expected him to be in the rotation at least. I can only assume coaches might redshirt him but if they're holding him out for injury insurance, then that's a waste of a year for him. You would think the Outrigger tourney is the time to give your bench time to improve during in game situations but if they're not even going to give him a look now, I cannot believe they'll play him closer to big west regular season play.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

It was stated that he looks more suited to play the 2 than the 1. If that's the case, he's behind Stansberry, and more than likely Webster as well. I would think this is the reason they are probably going to redshirt him.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Parkpill wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:44 pm It was stated that he looks more suited to play the 2 than the 1. If that's the case, he's behind Stansberry, and more than likely Webster as well. I would think this is the reason they are probably going to redshirt him.
I hope they do redshirt him. But during the green-white scrimmage he looked pretty solid running the point while being guarded by Buggs. I don't buy the part that he can't play the pg in a relief position. And if he is going to be the 2, why did they not give him a look when Stansberry was shooting 1-9? I just think this staff is wasting a year for him.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

Naz wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:37 pm
Parkpill wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:44 pm It was stated that he looks more suited to play the 2 than the 1. If that's the case, he's behind Stansberry, and more than likely Webster as well. I would think this is the reason they are probably going to redshirt him.
I hope they do redshirt him. But during the green-white scrimmage he looked pretty solid running the point while being guarded by Buggs. I don't buy the part that he can't play the pg in a relief position. And if he is going to be the 2, why did they not give him a look when Stansberry was shooting 1-9? I just think this staff is wasting a year for him.
I didn't say he can't play PG position, but it was said that Ng looked better running the 1 in practice than Villa did. Once they play Villa, his RS year is gone. If Webster is only going to be out for a week or two, why waste a whole year for Villa if he's going to sit on the bench the rest of the year?

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Parkpill wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:42 pm
I didn't say he can't play PG position, but it was said that Ng looked better running the 1 in practice than Villa did. Once they play Villa, his RS year is gone. If Webster is only going to be out for a week or two, why waste a whole year for Villa if he's going to sit on the bench the rest of the year?
I think it's odd that this staff is willing to invest the time to turning two shooting guards whose natural positions are not point guards into pgs instead of bringing Villa along as a rotational backcourt player. I realize you've heard people say he doesn't look quite comfortable yet but remember he was the last guard to join the team late summer. When teams press UH, they make things really uncomfortable for them and I feel that is where Villa's skillset comes in handy. But I hope you are correct in the redshirt part. Teams like Illinois and Oregon are going to crank the pressure up on UH. If I'm an opposing UH coach, I'd tell my team to press all game long and take Ng into the post whenever he's in.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

Being a former high school coach, I know that people who aren't at practice everyday think they know what's best for the team. I'll trust the coaches, and believe that they are doing what's best for the team.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Parkpill wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:37 am Being a former high school coach, I know that people who aren't at practice everyday think they know what's best for the team. I'll trust the coaches, and believe that they are doing what's best for the team.
Even guys who I know have been to practice and watched closed-door scrimmages thought Villa would be in the rotation.