Hawaii basketball: JC guard (Junior Madut) granted NCAA waiver, will join ‘Bows in January

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

Hawaii basketball: JC guard (Junior Madut) granted NCAA waiver, will join ‘Bows in January

Post by Parkpill »

https://www.hawaiiwarriorworld.com/rain ... n-january/

The NCAA has approved a hardship waiver that will allow guard Junior Madut to join the Rainbow Warrior basketball team in January. Madut had signed with the ‘Bows in April. \:D/

CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Hawaii basketball: JC guard (Junior Madut) granted NCAA waiver, will join ‘Bows in January

Post by CP3GUY »

Parkpill wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:05 pm https://www.hawaiiwarriorworld.com/rain ... n-january/

The NCAA has approved a hardship waiver that will allow guard Junior Madut to join the Rainbow Warrior basketball team in January. Madut had signed with the ‘Bows in April. \:D/
Was getting really worried about him. Also sounds like Ahmed Ali is cleared to play this season, but no official word from Tsai, McInnis, UH, or the coaches, so I'll believe it when I see it.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

Re: Hawaii basketball: JC guard (Junior Madut) granted NCAA waiver, will join ‘Bows in January

Post by Parkpill »

IMO, it's going to be hard for Madut to come in January, and get any significant playing time. He'll be so far behind as far as learning the system. Unless he's head and shoulders above what we already have on the current roster, he'll definitely redshirt.

CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CP3GUY »

Parkpill wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:55 am IMO, it's going to be hard for Madut to come in January, and get any significant playing time. He'll be so far behind as far as learning the system. Unless he's head and shoulders above what we already have on the current roster, he'll definitely redshirt.
Agreed. I think it'd be smart for him to redshirt. That would make the wing position pretty competitive, with senior year Avea, junior year Hemsley, and junior year Madut.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

The biggest threat to Samuta's playing time is Madut coming in. Madut can do everything Avea can do, is more versatle, and most importantly can handle the ball. If Avea has not shown significant improvement in his ability to handle the ball as a guard, then I don't think Madut coming late will be an issue if the coaches feel that they need Madut's guard skills right away. For Avea's sake, let's hope his handles, and his confidence in his handles, has improved.

akuhead2
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by akuhead2 »

Quiet website here, but it is quiet everywhere. But I think I just like saying 'Mad Dunking Running Team'. Its kind of fun to say. And in that line, my suggestion was to start Buggs, Madut, Hemsley, Avea and well, one other. I originally thought Hulland, but he might be too heavy to run up and down the court. Some good soul suggested Da Silva. He is a freshman and I haven't seen him against competition, but I could pencil him in. Then again it might be a team effort since they would be 'running'. But I think that Avea and Madut could together be core players on an exiting team.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

akuhead2 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:00 pm Quiet website here, but it is quiet everywhere. But I think I just like saying 'Mad Dunking Running Team'. Its kind of fun to say. And in that line, my suggestion was to start Buggs, Madut, Hemsley, Avea and well, one other. I originally thought Hulland, but he might be too heavy to run up and down the court. Some good soul suggested Da Silva. He is a freshman and I haven't seen him against competition, but I could pencil him in. Then again it might be a team effort since they would be 'running'. But I think that Avea and Madut could together be core players on an exiting team.
Your starting 5 offers no legit 3-point threat. I don't see any scenario for a starting 5 where Ganot doesn't go with his senior shooting guard Stansberry in the lineup. Unless Stansberry is injured - God forbid - I feel Ganot will go with his senior. Hemsley is just as much a wildcard to start as Da Silva, imo, as he's very unproven himself as to what he brings to the team. I've always felt that the biggest threat to Avea's playing time is going to be Madut because he is just as athletic, if not more, than Avea and handles the ball well which is something Avea has struggled with his first two years at UH. And unfortunately, they will be utilized mainly for the same wing position. Most people feel Madut will not play this season and will sit out to play the next two. I agree with that.