2019-20 MBB Schedule

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
All-American
All-American

2019-20 MBB Schedule

Post by 808 »

https://hawaiiathletics.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

No home games to really get excited about, but at least the team goes on the road to play Illinois and Oregon.

CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2019-20 MBB Schedule

Post by CP3GUY »

808 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:47 pm https://hawaiiathletics.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

No home games to really get excited about, but at least the team goes on the road to play Illinois and Oregon.
The San Fran game should be really competitive. And (knock on wood) the team will get to play Washington in the 2nd round of the DHC.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Any predictions on how good/bad this team will be? I only know a little about UH B-ball, I watch the games, but really don't know how good each player is.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CP3GUY »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:45 am Any predictions on how good/bad this team will be? I only know a little about UH B-ball, I watch the games, but really don't know how good each player is.
Hard to tell at this point. We lose a lot of scoring last year from Purchase, Stepteau, and Drammeh. But we bring in a lot of new and talented faces, plus have younger guys who didn't receive a lot of playing time last year who will receive extended playing time this year. Our strengths are going to be our guard play with our floor general Drew Buggs back and the sharpshooting Wazzu transfer Ahmed Ali. Plus, Stansberry will be in his 2nd year and will hopefully continue as a 3-point threat (and hopefully even more consistent than last year).
Lots of wildcards and unknowns with this team though. Zigmars Raimo played out of position as an undersized center last season, but it sounds like the coaches want to move him to the 4 position, where Raimo has stated he's been working on his 3-point shooting. That leaves the center position open, where no matter who starts there the center will be a huge 7-footer between either Mate Colina, Dawson Carper, or Owen Hulland.
At wing, although we don't get Madut until January, we still have Samuta Avea who will begin his 3rd year and Justin Hemsley. I think they'll provide a much needed boost to a position that really hasn't been strong since we had Noah Allen. Avea and Hemsley will both be natural wing players with good size at 6'6.
In terms of my prediction on how this team will be, I think we have a chance to be a top 3 team in conference. But optimistically, I think we could be a 1 or 2 seed come conference tournament time. Our team is inexperienced in terms of playing together, but come conference time I wouldn't be surprised if this team starts clicking together.
Also, just for fun, here's my starting lineup prediction for this season:
1. Ahmed Ali
2. Drew Buggs
3. Samuta Avea
4. Zigmars Raimo
5. Owen Hulland
Key guys off the bench: Eddie Stansberry, Justin Hemsley, and Dawson Carper
Excited for this season to start already! Go bows!

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

CP3GUY wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:36 pm Also, just for fun, here's my starting lineup prediction for this season:
1. Ahmed Ali
2. Drew Buggs
3. Samuta Avea
4. Zigmars Raimo
5. Owen Hulland
I don't know if I'd pull my senior shooting guard in Stansberry off the bench. Different teams will likely require shifts in the starting lineup but Ganot seems like a guy who gives his seniors the leg up especially for starters. I felt that Madut was the biggest threat to Avea's playing time because Madut can match his athleticism but handles the ball much more efficiently. I hope Avea's handles have improved because that has really been the part of his game that has been the difference between him being a cleanup/role player and a top 2 scoring option.

CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CP3GUY »

Naz wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:44 pm
CP3GUY wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:36 pm Also, just for fun, here's my starting lineup prediction for this season:
1. Ahmed Ali
2. Drew Buggs
3. Samuta Avea
4. Zigmars Raimo
5. Owen Hulland
I don't know if I'd pull my senior shooting guard in Stansberry off the bench. Different teams will likely require shifts in the starting lineup but Ganot seems like a guy who gives his seniors the leg up especially for starters. I felt that Madut was the biggest threat to Avea's playing time because Madut can match his athleticism but handles the ball much more efficiently. I hope Avea's handles have improved because that has really been the part of his game that has been the difference between him being a cleanup/role player and a top 2 scoring option.
I put Ali over Stansberry because Ganot likes playing 2 ball-handlers as his backcourt, for example Rod Bobbitt and Quincy Smith, and then Drew Buggs and Brocke Stepteau the past couple seasons. Stansberry was more a catch and shoot type of player, someone that I can see filling in the 6th man role. Ali on the other hand is a shooter but can also create for others with his passing and then handle the ball. Last year during the conference tourney when UH blew that lead against LBSU it was mainly due to the press and UH's inability to break the press. What really hurt during that game was when Buggs went out with about 5 minutes left in the first half after picking up his 2nd foul. We had Stepteau, Drammeh, and Stansberry in there, and even though it was a 3-guard lineup they all kinds of trouble getting it past half-court and then trying to setup their offense. I don't see Stansberry as a true ball handler, but I wouldn't be surprised to also see a 3-guard lineup with Buggs, Ali, and Stansberry during a game, at least in the beginning of the season just to have floor spacers on the court at the same time.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

Post by Parkpill »

There a lot of combinations Ganot can use this year provided guys like Hulland and Hemsley step up.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Anybody feel like UH lacks any kind of physical play? Seems like only Drew Buggs and Samuta Avea are the only ones willing to mix it up inside. I hope in the offseason they can increase the vertical jumps of their seven foot centers to at least two feet and also make them more capable of moving better laterally. I wouldn't mind seeing more body on body contact by other members of the UH team putting their bodies on other players. Also, they still don't go to the basket strong for any of the 7 footers. Recruit as much as they want, but they gotta improve on the players they already have.

CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CP3GUY »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:10 pm Anybody feel like UH lacks any kind of physical play? Seems like only Drew Buggs and Samuta Avea are the only ones willing to mix it up inside. I hope in the offseason they can increase the vertical jumps of their seven foot centers to at least two feet and also make them more capable of moving better laterally. I wouldn't mind seeing more body on body contact by other members of the UH team putting their bodies on other players. Also, they still don't go to the basket strong for any of the 7 footers. Recruit as much as they want, but they gotta improve on the players they already have.
That's one of the biggest knocks on the 7-footers. Colina plays the most aggressive and physical out of the 3 7-footers, but he doesn't have the upper body strength like Carper or Hulland. Hulland is probably the most skilled offensively, but he's out of shape right now and sometimes is out of position on defense. Carper is probably the most well-rounded of the bunch, but unless he's getting an open layup or dunk, he's not much of an offensive threat.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

CP3GUY wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:09 am
shrek2 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:10 pm Anybody feel like UH lacks any kind of physical play? Seems like only Drew Buggs and Samuta Avea are the only ones willing to mix it up inside. I hope in the offseason they can increase the vertical jumps of their seven foot centers to at least two feet and also make them more capable of moving better laterally. I wouldn't mind seeing more body on body contact by other members of the UH team putting their bodies on other players. Also, they still don't go to the basket strong for any of the 7 footers. Recruit as much as they want, but they gotta improve on the players they already have.
That's one of the biggest knocks on the 7-footers. Colina plays the most aggressive and physical out of the 3 7-footers, but he doesn't have the upper body strength like Carper or Hulland. Hulland is probably the most skilled offensively, but he's out of shape right now and sometimes is out of position on defense. Carper is probably the most well-rounded of the bunch, but unless he's getting an open layup or dunk, he's not much of an offensive threat.
Yeah, I agree about Mate Colina that he does seem to move better on the basketball court but they seem to always want to start Bill Walton's look alike, Carper. Since I'm not watching practices, it must be like a picnic at Ala Moana park. I can't imagine that the seven footers along with Zigmars Raimo are battling for the rebounds in practice. They need to learn how to shove each other around, ie body on body. In the off season Bob Nash ran the 440 in UH track. I would suggest that some of the basketball players on the current team set goals to run mile and 400 meters within respectable times. Weights are okay but too much heavy weight lifting messes up finger tip control. Hate to see the lack of improvement over last year.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I'm watching the TV during the UCR game and other games and I'm yelling "MOVE" at the tv. I just don't understand why players are standing around waiting for the ball to come to them instead of coming to the ball. There are so many moving screens up high and there are no screens down low. Stansberry always seems to be on the right corner waiting for the pass. Hopefully Ganot can coach the whole season next year and keep the ball moving and keep to a minimum the moving screens

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:34 am I'm watching the TV during the UCR game and other games and I'm yelling "MOVE" at the tv. I just don't understand why players are standing around waiting for the ball to come to them instead of coming to the ball. There are so many moving screens up high and there are no screens down low. Stansberry always seems to be on the right corner waiting for the pass. Hopefully Ganot can coach the whole season next year and keep the ball moving and keep to a minimum the moving screens
I was wondering the same things too. And why no one cutting to the basket? Stand around offense, clock ticks down, desperate shot. Miss. No offensive rebound.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

The past eight games have made me question Ganot’s ability to motivate this team. Most of it should come back next year, even though that ain’t a guarantee. With that being the case, next year might be a make-or-break year for Ganot. Hiring at least one better assistant wouldn’t hurt.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!