Wahine volleyball back in the top 25

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Wahine volleyball back in the top 25

Post by shrek2 »

CP3GUY wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:21 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:25 am I didn't watch the conference games where they beat LB and CSUN. Would have thought they would have swept because of their opponents records but the games looked close. Can anybody who watched the games possibly explain why? Were the other teams well coached or the other teams better than their record indicated?
I got to watch bits and pieces of the game, and Hawaii definitely looked a little fatigued. Especially in the CSUN game, considering that was the second of a back-to-back. The Wahine had been on the road up to that point for I believe 12 games, after not having traveled to the mainland before that point. I don't think it's anything to worry about. I mean LBSU is 3-11, but they took a 11th ranked Florida team to 5 sets on the road, and lost the 5th set 19-17. Just glad the Wahine survived that long road trip with a 3-1 record.
Thanks.

CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CP3GUY »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:56 pm
CP3GUY wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:21 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:25 am I didn't watch the conference games where they beat LB and CSUN. Would have thought they would have swept because of their opponents records but the games looked close. Can anybody who watched the games possibly explain why? Were the other teams well coached or the other teams better than their record indicated?
I got to watch bits and pieces of the game, and Hawaii definitely looked a little fatigued. Especially in the CSUN game, considering that was the second of a back-to-back. The Wahine had been on the road up to that point for I believe 12 games, after not having traveled to the mainland before that point. I don't think it's anything to worry about. I mean LBSU is 3-11, but they took a 11th ranked Florida team to 5 sets on the road, and lost the 5th set 19-17. Just glad the Wahine survived that long road trip with a 3-1 record.
Thanks.
Also if you wanted to watch there's usually full game videos of the game posted on YouTube about a day or so after the game happens.
vs. CSUN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypK1fu9Dg-E
vs. LBSU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HVKdDkc8h8

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Let’s hope that the Wahine can turn these two previous matches into anomalies.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Tough weekend with the loss on Fri night. Good bounceback on Sat. Hopefully van Sickle and Rasmussen can come back soon.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Glad that Robyn and team found a way to win on Saturday. But what a struggle against a bottom feeder. Need to up their level against the top two teams in the BWC on the road next. We'll see how much depth the Wahine have when thrust into the limelight.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CP3GUY »

Although they dropped to 19th in the rankings, they debuted in the first RPI rankings of the season at 14. Remember, Jolie Rasmussen has been out since the West Virginia game, and Brooke Van Sickle got injured in Friday's game and didn't play at all in Saturday's game. Those are two upperclassmen leaders for this team, which is forcing underclassmen (mainly freshmen) to be put into these situations to be lead hitters. Experience that will pay dividends for a relatively young team. I'm sure they'll right the ship starting with this week's upcoming games.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

The Cal Poly game was the first game I saw in full and it looked like Hawaii was not as physical as Cal Poly. My suspicion is that Hawaii will drop out of the top 25 come next week. Iosia seems like the only consistent hard server on the team.

Irse

Post by Irse »

Without Rasmussen and van Sickle, they are not a top 25 team.
ImageImage

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Irse wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:10 pm Without Rasmussen and van Sickle, they are not a top 25 team.
This season has spiraled out of control.

It reminds me of the basketball team that beat Indiana and Kansas when AC and Alika were seniors than started poorly in the WAC. That team gave itself a fighting chance to go to the NCAAs. Let's hope this team can do the same.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

The Wahine have to find a new identity without the services of Rasmussen and Van Sickle.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CP3GUY »

Good bounce back sweep on the road on the second of a back-to-back against UCSB, who came into the game with the 2nd highest rated rpi at 35.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Last night was the first night of watching Wahine volleyball against Riverside. They looked like athletes but the closeups by Spectrum, you can see the youth in their eyes. Always liked Iosia but Hanna Hellvig looks like an athlete.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Against UCD, Van Sickle was amazing. For someone 5'9, she hits like an animal. There's some speed on her spikes.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Okay, van Sickle has the genes. Looking at her background mom, dad and aunt played the game. No wonder she can climb the ladder to play tall.

Irse

Post by Irse »

Great 2 wins on the road.
ImageImage