MBB 2020 Recruiting

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: MBB 2020 Recruiting

Post by CP3GUY »

Parkpill wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:46 pm There should be 3 scholarships available next year. Looks like it's a heavy guard recruiting class.
Yup should be 3 available as long as Ahmed Ali is playing this season. Next season we'd have senior Drew Buggs and then (likely) sophomore Justin Webster as the only true guards (I still think Junior Madut will play wing with Avea and Hemsley). I like Jessiya Villa, but not as a starter. So it would be nice to get a guy like Jelani Clark who can play the 1 and 2 (plays more of the 1 in high school) who they can groom for a year behind Buggs, and then insert into the starting lineup.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

CP3GUY wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:34 am
Parkpill wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:46 pm There should be 3 scholarships available next year. Looks like it's a heavy guard recruiting class.
Yup should be 3 available as long as Ahmed Ali is playing this season. Next season we'd have senior Drew Buggs and then (likely) sophomore Justin Webster as the only true guards (I still think Junior Madut will play wing with Avea and Hemsley). I like Jessiya Villa, but not as a starter. So it would be nice to get a guy like Jelani Clark who can play the 1 and 2 (plays more of the 1 in high school) who they can groom for a year behind Buggs, and then insert into the starting lineup.
People are underestimating Villa I think mainly because he's been out of sight the past 2 years. Villa is a true point guard he's played the position his entire prep career. I see Villa as a starter possibly by his junior year and not as a career backup. Ganot is obviously recruiting more pgs in future recruting classes but I feel this year to learn behind Buggs and Ali will be huge for him and give him the leg up over future pgs coming in. Plus he is an older freshman due to the mission.

On a side note, did anyone check the roster listings on the official website? Since when did our walk-ons both grow 3 inches over the summer? Ain't no way in hell Nedd is 6'7 and furthermore Ng ain't no damn 5'11" :lol:

CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CP3GUY »

Naz wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:24 am
CP3GUY wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:34 am
People are underestimating Villa I think mainly because he's been out of sight the past 2 years. Villa is a true point guard he's played the position his entire prep career. I see Villa as a starter possibly by his junior year and not as a career backup. Ganot is obviously recruiting more pgs in future recruting classes but I feel this year to learn behind Buggs and Ali will be huge for him and give him the leg up over future pgs coming in. Plus he is an older freshman due to the mission.

On a side note, did anyone check the roster listings on the official website? Since when did our walk-ons both grow 3 inches over the summer? Ain't no way in hell Nedd is 6'7 and furthermore Ng ain't no damn 5'11" :lol:
We'll see about Villa. He's virtually an unknown because we haven't seen him play in basically 2.5 years. Hope that he can contribute this year and give Buggs and Ali some rest when needed.

CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CP3GUY »

Just added above Beon Riley, a 6'6 combo guard out of Chula Vista, California. He took an official visit to UH sometime this weekend. He also had an official visit to San Diego about a month ago and holds offers from Wazzu and San Francisco. His game kind of reminds me of a taller Drew Buggs. Finishes well around the rim and has a good stroke from 3.
Also, I removed Chance McMillian from the list above. He committed to Grand Canyon last week. Thought we had a good chance at getting him.

CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CP3GUY »

Took off Je'lani Clark who just verbally committed to Nevada after an official visit there. He must not have expressed a ton of interest in going to UH or UH felt that he was going to commit to Nevada because he ended up not taking an official visit to UH, as I first mentioned.
The next prospect that UH seems to have on their radar is Jamie Bergens (added to first page). He's an exciting combo guard who has great range and is extremely quick. Played for the Netherlands U18 national team, and is gaining interest from many programs, as listed in this article posted on November 8: https://scoopmantv.com/2019/11/08/2020- ... -to-watch/ . In the article, he is said to be heavily recruited by UC Santa Barbara and Oral Roberts. This seems like Gerlufsen's recruit, so I'm extremely hopeful that UH can maybe get him here for an official visit or something. I think he could be an immediate contributor if he were to come here. One year playing behind and learning from Drew Buggs, and then possibly 3 years of being our starting point guard. It'd give us some firepower from behind the 3-point line if him and Justin Webster were our starting guards for the future.
Updates to come when made available.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

UH should contact Ryan Boyce who just left Memphis. He was a walk on but is better than any guard that UH has. Was #237 prospect out of high school according to 247.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

Post by Parkpill »

This guy is a stud. One year behind Buggs, will do wonders for him as well.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Parkpill wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:46 am This guy is a stud. One year behind Buggs, will do wonders for him as well.
I notice a lot of people overlooking Jessiya Villa as a pg contender in the post-Buggs era. Villa should have the edge next year in regards to knowing the offense/defense over any incoming guards next season.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

Post by Parkpill »

Naz wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:40 pm
Parkpill wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:46 am This guy is a stud. One year behind Buggs, will do wonders for him as well.
I notice a lot of people overlooking Jessiya Villa as a pg contender in the post-Buggs era. Villa should have the edge next year in regards to knowing the offense/defense over any incoming guards next season.
I'm all for the best players playing. If Jessiya is in the rotation, more power to him. Besides the Big West is a guard heavy league, so they can run two pt. guards on the floor at the same time.

CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CP3GUY »

Naz wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:40 pm
I think Villa will get the nod over Bayles early in the season. But I think eventually, probably by conference season next season, Bayles will be the backup to Buggs. And I don't think that's a knock on Villa, I think he's good and he'll be good for UH. But I don't ever see him being a starting PG for UH. But you need someone to backup the guards, and having good guard depth is always important. Villa next year could be the backup PG and SG to start the season behind Buggs and probably Webster. Next season I think we'll have Buggs and then 2 solid PGs in Villa and Bayles to back him up. Injuries happen all the time, and if that time comes Villa will come in and shine. Ng is also a viable option, but he's shown that he's too small defensively (even though he gets good positioning) and then doesn't handle the ball as confidently when under duress.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

CP3GUY wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:31 pm
I think Villa will get the nod over Bayles early in the season. But I think eventually, probably by conference season next season, Bayles will be the backup to Buggs. And I don't think that's a knock on Villa, I think he's good and he'll be good for UH. But I don't ever see him being a starting PG for UH.
That is selling him short if you ask me. In a recent article on Stansberry when he was named BWC player of the week, he said Villa was going at him all week long in preparation for a (I forget which) game. Villa will be a 22-year old freshman and much more mature when these guys roll in. It looks like this redshirt year allowed him to get his body in physical shape and get his speed back. I'm not saying Villa is a bonafide starter, but I will not rule out the possibility that he does become a starter eventually maybe around his junior year.

CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CP3GUY »

Naz wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:35 pm
CP3GUY wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:31 pm
I think Villa will get the nod over Bayles early in the season. But I think eventually, probably by conference season next season, Bayles will be the backup to Buggs. And I don't think that's a knock on Villa, I think he's good and he'll be good for UH. But I don't ever see him being a starting PG for UH.
That is selling him short if you ask me. In a recent article on Stansberry when he was named BWC player of the week, he said Villa was going at him all week long in preparation for a (I forget which) game. Villa will be a 22-year old freshman and much more mature when these guys roll in. It looks like this redshirt year allowed him to get his body in physical shape and get his speed back. I'm not saying Villa is a bonafide starter, but I will not rule out the possibility that he does become a starter eventually maybe around his junior year.
That was for the CSUN game. Stansberry gave Villa credit for making him chase him around in preparation for guarding Terrell Gomez. Villa is good, but I think his ceiling is significantly lower than Bayles. Neither have played a single minute of collegiate basketball yet, so this is all just based off of what I see from game footage and what not.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

6-7, F Manel Ayol commits.
https://twitter.com/ManelAyol/status/1242219437161316357

Link

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

From the video, Ayol looks real good.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.