Hawaii basketball gets commitment from Bernardo da Silva

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

Hawaii basketball gets commitment from Bernardo da Silva

Post by Parkpill »

The University of Hawaii basketball team today secured a commitment from a post player from one of the country’s top high school basketball teams. Bernardo da Silva of Wasatch Academy in Mount Pleasant, Utah.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/06/ ... ep-school/

CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Hawaii basketball gets commitment from Bernardo da Silva

Post by CP3GUY »

Wow, didn't hear this name at all anywhere. Glad we got his commitment, and love his 7'2 wingspan. One more scholie to go, wonder if we're still in the running for Lok Wur after this guy committed? On the other board, it said Wur is announcing his finalists on Tuesday. I wonder if he'll still take an official visit to Hawaii.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

CP3GUY wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:49 pm Wow, didn't hear this name at all anywhere. Glad we got his commitment, and love his 7'2 wingspan. One more scholie to go, wonder if we're still in the running for Lok Wur after this guy committed? On the other board, it said Wur is announcing his finalists on Tuesday. I wonder if he'll still take an official visit to Hawaii.
That's a good question. It seemed as if he already had his trip planned, so I would think he will still come. Maybe the UH coaches were playing the odds and figured with all the offers Lok Wur was receiving, that they didn't have a good shot at him, and pulled the trigger on Bernardo. Can you imagine the size Hawaii could put on the court if Lok Wur commits. :o

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

da Silva definitely helps with the length and athleticism. Lots of potential. He played in a high caliber program so hopefully he can contribute soon.

When he originally committed to BYU, they put out some of his highlights.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BYUbasketball/statu ... 28384?s=19[/tweet]

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Wasatch Academy plays a running game with quick scores. I don't know how Bernado da Silva will like the half court offense that UH employs.

CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CP3GUY »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:29 am Wasatch Academy plays a running game with quick scores. I don't know how Bernado da Silva will like the half court offense that UH employs.
I think the half-court offense has more to do with personnel than with his actual game style. I think his eventual goal would be to replicate the 2015-2016 season. But that season we had Bobbitt, Smith, and Valdez who could push tempo. The past few seasons we've had Buggs and Stepteau, but a lot of the other guys like purchase aren't really floor runners. Purchase would mainly trail behind to shoot a 3 if he was open, and guys like Stansberry would drift to the corner for 3s. I'm sure getting a long athletic runner like da Silva would help the team push in transition.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/utmountainstars/status/1140076619303804928 https://twitter.com/hawaiiwworld/status/1140065468557824000 https://twitter.com/WATigersBB/status/1140102010286436352 https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1140115509242806273

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

CP3GUY wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:55 am
shrek2 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:29 am Wasatch Academy plays a running game with quick scores. I don't know how Bernado da Silva will like the half court offense that UH employs.
I think the half-court offense has more to do with personnel than with his actual game style. I think his eventual goal would be to replicate the 2015-2016 season. But that season we had Bobbitt, Smith, and Valdez who could push tempo. The past few seasons we've had Buggs and Stepteau, but a lot of the other guys like purchase aren't really floor runners. Purchase would mainly trail behind to shoot a 3 if he was open, and guys like Stansberry would drift to the corner for 3s. I'm sure getting a long athletic runner like da Silva would help the team push in transition.
This makes a lot of sense. I would hope for more up tempo this season.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

My3Cats wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:28 am
Nice to see if that can happen with Avea and Buggs with Hemsley and Nedd as possibilities with Madut as a maybe. How do you use three sophomore 7 footers and Zigmar whose shooting range is within 5 feet? The 7 footers might clog up the middle and be a liability on defense since their lateral mobility is limited.

CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CP3GUY »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:11 pm
My3Cats wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:28 am

Nice to see if that can happen with Avea and Buggs with Hemsley and Nedd as possibilities with Madut as a maybe. How do you use three sophomore 7 footers and Zigmar whose shooting range is within 5 feet? The 7 footers might clog up the middle and be a liability on defense since their lateral mobility is limited.
I would look at Owen Hulland to have a much bigger impact this year as the starting 5 for this team (with Zigmars at the 4). I think Hulland is the stretch 5 that the coaches have been wanting to have in their offense. From coaching interviews and such, it seems like they want Hulland to play the same role that Stefan Jankovic played while at UH.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

CP3GUY wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:28 pm I would look at Owen Hulland to have a much bigger impact this year as the starting 5 for this team (with Zigmars at the 4). I think Hulland is the stretch 5 that the coaches have been wanting to have in their offense. From coaching interviews and such, it seems like they want Hulland to play the same role that Stefan Jankovic played while at UH.
What is the story on Hulland and his lack of playing time at the end of the season. Was it an attempt to redshirt his freshman season? Mate Colina or Dawson Carper were the guys that played. It would seem like it would be great experience for Hulland to play against Amadou Sou of UCSB who was a freshman star and it would have given Hulland good experience to defend someone who he will be playing against for the next three years.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:47 am
CP3GUY wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:28 pm I would look at Owen Hulland to have a much bigger impact this year as the starting 5 for this team (with Zigmars at the 4). I think Hulland is the stretch 5 that the coaches have been wanting to have in their offense. From coaching interviews and such, it seems like they want Hulland to play the same role that Stefan Jankovic played while at UH.
What is the story on Hulland and his lack of playing time at the end of the season. Was it an attempt to redshirt his freshman season? Mate Colina or Dawson Carper were the guys that played. It would seem like it would be great experience for Hulland to play against Amadou Sou of UCSB who was a freshman star and it would have given Hulland good experience to defend someone who he will be playing against for the next three years.
I believe he had a nagging injury.

CP3GUY
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CP3GUY »

Parkpill wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:45 am
shrek2 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:47 am
I believe he had a nagging injury.
Yes, I think it was a foot injury that just never got 100% healed. Hopefully this offseason he's working on getting that foot near 100%.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

I think Hulland is key to the team's success this season.