2019 Hawaii Basketball recruits?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

Re: 2019 Hawaii Basketball recruits?

Post by Parkpill »

Wilfried Likayi (6-10 F) who as offered by UH, just committed to New Mexico St. today.

Aaron Falzon (6-8 F), a grad transfer from Northwestern, who was offered by UH as well, committed to Quinnipiac yesterday.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Naz wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:18 am
uhwarriors wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:04 am
Naz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:07 pm Why did Ng take a preferred walk-on "offer" if he was telling everyone he had D1, D2, and NAIA offers on the table for himself? Seems odd.
Star-Advertiser article says it's a preferred walk-on.
Right. My question is didn't he supposedly have other D1 offers? If so, then why would someone even consider walking-on anywhere if that was the case?
Ryan Boyce signed a LOI with UAB then decided he wanted to walk on at Memphis. I don't know if he was expecting to get a scholarship this year but with the guys they are in with, he may not. Although not a real high level recruit, he was #230 on 247 composite in 2018.
ImageImage

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Irse wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:37 am
Ryan Boyce signed a LOI with UAB then decided he wanted to walk on at Memphis. I don't know if he was expecting to get a scholarship this year but with the guys they are in with, he may not. Although not a real high level recruit, he was #230 on 247 composite in 2018.
Boyce wanted to play for his HS coach, Penny Hardaway as well as with old teammates from the Memphis East HS team. I'm sure if Hardaway was aware of his intention to play at Memphis earlier, he wouldn't be walking on as a 4-star commit. I guarantee he gets one in the following season. That's a big difference from a kid whose been telling everyone who will listen that he has other D1 offers but those end up not being true and he ends up having to walk-on.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Naz wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:48 pm
Irse wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:37 am
Boyce wanted to play for his HS coach, Penny Hardaway as well as with old teammates from the Memphis East HS team. I'm sure if Hardaway was aware of his intention to play at Memphis earlier, he wouldn't be walking on as a 4-star commit. I guarantee he gets one in the following season. That's a big difference from a kid whose been telling everyone who will listen that he has other D1 offers but those end up not being true and he ends up having to walk-on.
I hope he gets one but not a guarantee. Depends on who else they can get to sign. They are in on about 5 guys. If four sign and Penny's son walks on on then Boyce gets one. If all five sign, then Boyce and Hardaway will walk on.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I guess that's the difference between Memphis, a high mid-major yet national power, and Hawaii, a lower mid-major, mediocre team. Ganot got to get moving.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

The coaches need to do a better job of keeping the fan base intrigued and hyped for the upcoming season. I understand they may be trying to keep their recruits a secret, but there needs to be something to keep the fans interested for the upcoming season, if for no other reason than selling tickets.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

May 15th is the final day to sign. Anyone got any tidbits on players being brought in, or offered?

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

There are 3 kids with ties to Maryknoll that are on the recruiting market right now I would like to see UH get. 1) Justice Sueing (Cal transfer) - probably the hardest get of the three... 2) Marcus Shaver, Jr. (Portland transfer) and 3) Brian Washington (just graduated has offers from UMKC and Oral Roberts). Imagine a UH team with 5 scholarship players 2 of which from Kahuku and 3 from Maryknoll. That would be something!

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

I don't think they have a shot with Sueing. He visited Ohio St. last week, so it looks like he has his eyes on another Power 5 team. Do you know if they are pursuing Shaver? He'd have to sit a year, so that might not be the best thing for UH.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

The clock is winding down on Ganot. Will he surprise and pull a rabbit out of the hat, or will he get coal in his stocking?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

My3Cats wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:07 am The clock is winding down on Ganot. Will he surprise and pull a rabbit out of the hat, or will he get coal in his stocking?
Yup, one week to go. I hope the coaching staff has a plan.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

Naz wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:50 pm There are 3 kids with ties to Maryknoll that are on the recruiting market right now I would like to see UH get. 1) Justice Sueing (Cal transfer) - probably the hardest get of the three... 2) Marcus Shaver, Jr. (Portland transfer) and 3) Brian Washington (just graduated has offers from UMKC and Oral Roberts). Imagine a UH team with 5 scholarship players 2 of which from Kahuku and 3 from Maryknoll. That would be something!
Shaver just committed to Boise St.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Parkpill wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:14 pm
I'm fine with losing Sueing and Shaver... but Washington? To not even offer the kid is crazy. As of 5/2, Nevada was his third offer. Kids with D1 talent with even remotely the slightest connection to Hawai'i should always be considered in Hawai'i's recruiting trail.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

Naz wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:46 pm
Parkpill wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:14 pm
I'm fine with losing Sueing and Shaver... but Washington? To not even offer the kid is crazy. As of 5/2, Nevada was his third offer. Kids with D1 talent with even remotely the slightest connection to Hawai'i should always be considered in Hawai'i's recruiting trail.
To an extent I agree, but after looking at his video, is he what we would need right now? A 6'6 post player that doesn't show much range in his shooting, shouldn't be a priority in the recruiting at the moment.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Parkpill wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:15 pm
To an extent I agree, but after looking at his video, is he what we would need right now? A 6'6 post player that doesn't show much range in his shooting, shouldn't be a priority in the recruiting at the moment.
We have three open scholarships as of right now and the guys UH are offering are landing at other schools. I don't see a recruit worthy of an offer for Nevada being below an offer from UH. I believe he is bigger than 6'6". I feel Washington would highly consider moving back to play at Hawai'i.