2019 Hawaii Basketball recruits?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

Re: 2019 Hawaii Basketball recruits?

Post by Parkpill »

3 days to go before the ending of the signing period. I think they will probably get guys to commit to non binding scholarship agreements after then deadline passes.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Naz wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:54 am
Parkpill wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:15 pm
To an extent I agree, but after looking at his video, is he what we would need right now? A 6'6 post player that doesn't show much range in his shooting, shouldn't be a priority in the recruiting at the moment.
We have three open scholarships as of right now and the guys UH are offering are landing at other schools. I don't see a recruit worthy of an offer for Nevada being below an offer from UH. I believe he is bigger than 6'6". I feel Washington would highly consider moving back to play at Hawai'i.
Verbal commits has him at 6'8". He's not in the 247 database.
ImageImage

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

6'6 or 6'8, his skillset isn't what we sorely need at the moment.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Parkpill wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:41 am 6'6 or 6'8, his skillset isn't what we sorely need at the moment.
We couldn't use a 6'8" post who stuffs everything? He could take Raimo's spot starting next season. With three available scholarships, we are in a position to at least use one on a player whose gonna payoff dividends in the long-run.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

First off, he's a 6'6 center. I don't know where you're seeing 6'8 at, but I've looked at at least 5-6 different sites, and none list him at 6-8. Unless something has changed, he signed with Salt Lake Community College. Per the Las Vegas Review-Journal, Washington also received interest from Division I North Dakota State and Division II Fresno Pacific as well as Casper College (Wyo.).

Look at the style of basketball Ganot runs here, and the fact that we have 3 7ft bigs already here. With what we already have on the roster, we don't need a 6'6 center. I'm going to guess his height and lack of shooting were the main reasons he wasn't offered by any division 1 schools.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

Deadline day is here. Looks like scholarship agreements it is.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Parkpill wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:31 am First off, he's a 6'6 center. I don't know where you're seeing 6'8 at, but I've looked at at least 5-6 different sites, and none list him at 6-8. Unless something has changed, he signed with Salt Lake Community College. Per the Las Vegas Review-Journal, Washington also received interest from Division I North Dakota State and Division II Fresno Pacific as well as Casper College (Wyo.).

Look at the style of basketball Ganot runs here, and the fact that we have 3 7ft bigs already here. With what we already have on the roster, we don't need a 6'6 center. I'm going to guess his height and lack of shooting were the main reasons he wasn't offered by any division 1 schools.
Are we talking about the same Brian Washington??? … He has THREE D1 offers (Oral Roberts, UMKC, and Nevada)...and he's listed at 6'8" here... https://verbalcommits.com/players/brian-washington

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

Naz wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:49 pm
Parkpill wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:31 am First off, he's a 6'6 center. I don't know where you're seeing 6'8 at, but I've looked at at least 5-6 different sites, and none list him at 6-8. Unless something has changed, he signed with Salt Lake Community College. Per the Las Vegas Review-Journal, Washington also received interest from Division I North Dakota State and Division II Fresno Pacific as well as Casper College (Wyo.).

Are we talking about the same Brian Washington??? … He has THREE D1 offers (Oral Roberts, UMKC, and Nevada)...and he's listed at 6'8" here... https://verbalcommits.com/players/brian-washington
I stand corrected. I was looking at the wrong Brian Washington. However, I still doubt the coaching staff will offer him based on his height and skillset. They could have offered Drew Buggs teammate a few years ago Myles Johnson 6-10, F/C who is now at Rutgers, and they passed.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

Ferd Lewis: No panic as University of Hawaii basketball recruiting remains silent:
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/05/ ... ns-silent/

Interesting take by Ferd Lewis in this morning's paper. I hope the proof is in the pudding.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Parkpill wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:37 pm
I stand corrected. I was looking at the wrong Brian Washington. However, I still doubt the coaching staff will offer him based on his height and skillset. They could have offered Drew Buggs teammate a few years ago Myles Johnson 6-10, F/C who is now at Rutgers, and they passed.
If Nevada, a team that is coming off a trip to the NCAA tournament, is willing to offer and sees the value in his skillset, how does UH not? Washington probably had more throw downs in his senior year than all our Centers combined last season. We go 6'8" C with Raimo and I watched him fumble passes and miss layups throughout the season. I'd rather have Washington who wants to stuff everything.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

Naz wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:50 pm
Parkpill wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:37 pm
If Nevada, a team that is coming off a trip to the NCAA tournament, is willing to offer and sees the value in his skillset, how does UH not? Washington probably had more throw downs in his senior year than all our Centers combined last season. We go 6'8" C with Raimo and I watched him fumble passes and miss layups throughout the season. I'd rather have Washington who wants to stuff everything.
Is UH recruiting him? Then there you have your answer. They aren't looking for a another 6'8 C with limited shooting range. We have 3-4 guys on current roster that can play the C position already.

Another question is, if he has all those offers already, why didn't he sign by the deadline yesterday?

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

Did a little digging and I think UH may be going after Jay Allen-Tovar, a 6-9 F out of Valley Christian HS in San Jose. He's a 2019 grad, that probably was under the radar as his team finished 1-13 in a really tough Catholic school league. He can bring the ball up the floor in transition, finishes aggressive at the bucket, and has 3 point range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpd3sZX ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by Parkpill on Thu May 23, 2019 10:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

Even the media is starting to make some noise regarding the lack of recruits thus far.

https://www.hawaiiwarriorworld.com/cour ... ecruiting/

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Wow. Still no word of any new recruits?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

Now that the deadline for all players to opt out of the NBA draft passed on Wednesday, I expect recruiting to pick up more rapidly as teams now know exactly how many scholarships they have.