UH Baseball 2019

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

UH Baseball 2019

Post by shrek2 »

Disappointing losses to Portland State. Iowa gave Hawaii a taste of playing with the big boys. With the adjustments of putting Yamazaki at the bottom of the lineup since he wasn't hitting was a good adjustment. Putting Dallas Duarte at the top of the lineup was a great move because he can make contact and run. Glad that Scotty Scott laid down a drag bunt against Longwood and the team started stealing bases. With the same kind of activity for the rest of the games, they will be competitive against the rest of the Big West. So, maybe this is the year they start to gel. Li'i Pontes looks like a pretty good local freshman pitcher and Dallas Duarte looks very good as the starting freshman catcher from the Big Island. Alex Baeza looks like the player to watch this year.

whirlygig5
High-quality H20 provider

Re: UH Baseball 2019

Post by whirlygig5 »

been out of the country what's going on w the bows???? right before i left i think i heard 2nd baseman Demeter for the year due to injury..whats up the pitching staff and rotation???Thomas not starting?? how about other pitchers i thot they might rely on like dominic demiero and kyle hatton??? what about catcher Murray?? if anyone can help id really appreciate it thanx

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Pitching rotation might be a couple of different pitchers. Wu-Yelland is the first game, looks like Dylan Thomas is second and third and fourth pitcher is up for grabs. Li'i Pontes looks pretty solid as RHP starter but it remains to be seen how far he will go into the season since this is his freshman year. In my opinion, Dallas Duarte is an undersized catcher playing above his head and plays with spirit. He reminds me of Ron Nomura from the Derek Tatsuno days. Dallas makes contact with the ball every time he is up and has speed on the base path. So far he covers the plate as good as some of the best. Murray caught the 9th inning of the final game because Dallas got a sprained ankle in the first inning. At this point, I would start Duarte over Murray. Dominic Demiero has seen limited action, once as a starter but total of 3.2 innings in two outings. Kyle Hatton has seen none. Demeter is out, they have JC gold glover Jack Kennelly at second. They had Tyler Best at 2nd but there were a few errors so they switched him to the outfield after realizing that they needed his bat. Logan Pouelsen looks like he will contribute as a often used pitcher and pinch hitter. He seems to have a pretty good eye for one of the big bats for UH. Big improvement by Alex Baeza in his hitting and has 3 home runs in the first two series. This team looks like it has more speed and will run. The character of the team looks like its feeding off of the incoming players. Like the fact that they had some bunt singles by Scotty Scott, Dallas Duarte and Maaki Yamazaki. They may not be able to do that against this week's opponent Oregon.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Cade Halemalu looks like he may be a starter for UH in the future. He's 6'3 frosh out of Pearl City and pitches up to 90 on the fastball. He throws over the top so he may not have a good pitch mixture that I could see on his outing against Longwood. He does throw strikes and works quickly. With all the pitchers in the bullpen, Logan Pouelsen relief pitched for an inning and two thirds. Amazing that he beat out a ground ball to the second and he stole third on a delayed steal. Murray still looks like he has a problem handling the ball behind the plate consistently. Maybe due to his injury.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Wow, Daylen Calicdan hit a crucial double in the 8th to bring in three runs which eventually became the winning runs with UH beating Oregon 7-6. Love Scotty Scott going 3 for 4, stealing a base against Oregon (tough to do) and scoring from first a double that was the winning run. Nothing makes baseball more exciting than home runs and speed. Li'i Pontes although allowing four runs threw strikes and only one batter hit him solid. Great game Hawaii.

whirlygig5

Post by whirlygig5 »

hey shreik2 thanx for updating me on the team....man that oregon series sucked i went to every game and man wishing i didn't. there weather was horrible super cold and windy but what made it worse was that bullpen omg does UH need a bullpen. Something must be wrong with Hatton or he's no longer on the team cz they pretty much coulda used anyones arm this weekend Didn't like Trapsson putting in the freshman in relief in Saturday night game, but oh well that was traps call

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

They said that Kyle Hatton is out for the season with an injury and Adam Fogel has to undergo season ending shoulder surgery. Even in the loss, Hawaii showed that they can play against Oregon. It's kind of a bummer that they didn't come away with the win but I think they will win against some of the best in the Big West. Everybody can lay down a bunt and Trap made Yamazaki bunt with one out in the first with runner on first which was the right decision because they went on to score two runs. No more grounding into double plays if they continue this philosophy.

whirlygig5

Post by whirlygig5 »

man this team..ugh i dunno...Today the Hilo kid on bakersfield was lights out only allowed 1 hit, but man UH had their chances....always been a somewhat of a fan of Trapssos but he looks so confused this year, he dunno weather to scratch his watch or wind his butt. Shud had a righty at today, maybe the Crabbe kid at DH, shoulda pinch hit for Sniffin when they were threatening cz he looked really bad at all his at bats today and it was a very crucial part of the game. And putting Dylan in the 7th??? what was up w that?? last thing we need is for this guy to get uncomfortable and start to lose his confidence...man just use him to close...its what he does best. Now i don't think Dylan will fold that easy but man, gotta put him in better situations....

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

At least Trapasso is making some changes instead of leaving things the same. I kind of question his lineup though. I like the fact that they dropped Yamazaki down in the lineup but rather see him at 7th. Should have started Duarte at catcher instead of Murray early in the series since Duarte is better defensively and strikes out less. Murray should be a backup catcher. He had holes in his glove last year and this year the ball stills seems to be getting away from him. He had one good game last year but otherwise struck out a lot. Crabbe had a good game against Oregon and came in with a .500 batting average in high school. Didn't know the kid on Bakersfield was from Hilo. I guess they play some baseball in Hilo with Duarte, Calicdan and him.

whirlygig5

Post by whirlygig5 »

i agree w you about Murray..they said they wanted him back there for his defense but yea i seen pass balls go his way...i think they wanted him cz his experience with Duarte being a frosh....but i think you go with Duarte cz right now cz he's the better player. yea man how'd we lose that lefty in bakersfield in recruiting lol

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

The Big West plays a lot of small ball with the other team making the mistakes. They have yet to figure out the pitching rotation. Seems like they start out with a lot of pitchers but a lot of them get hurt. They can't afford the passed balls cause with man on third most of the teams aren't afraid to squeeze bunt and sometimes get a hit. I think they wanted to use Dylan Thomas as a long reliever as well as a lock down reliever for the save. I think Trap has to talk to him before the game to get him into the mindset of doing one or the other. Especially since he's one of the keys to Hawaii's pitching. He's gotta tell Thomas to get ready to pitch from the fifth with Dominic Dimiero or come in for the save if someone else is going to be the long reliever. Its a different mindset to be a closer versus a hold guy or long reliever.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

During the Ohio State series, they had runners on in a bunting situation and it looked like some of their contact guys missed the bunt. Yamazaki who I thought was a pretty good contact guy struck out with runners on first and second with no outs. What a rally killer. He still has a quick release on fielding but maybe not a MLB prospect because of his hitting.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Looks like a rough weekend for UH against UCI. Be lucky if they take one.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Almost feels like Hawaii can play with anybody at times. Murray still has a ball in the strike zone in first game for strike three but inning continues because the ball went through a hole in Murray's glove. Cannot understand why when Hawaii gets its first hit of the game in the last game with runner on first and nobody out, Maaki Yamazaki is not bunting but ends up striking out with a double play to follow and Irvine with a 3-0 lead. What a bonehead coaching call.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Hawaii did win the rubber match against UCD but in the fourth inning, Calicdan hits a single and instead of moving the runner up with a sacrifice bunt, Duarte hits into a double play. Hawaii was up by 3-0 at the time. Murray hits a double after the double play but no runs are scored because Calicdan was not sacrificed over. How long is this bad coaching going to continue?