Coach Taylor and the "powers that be".......................

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Coach Taylor and the "powers that be".......................

Post by seasider »

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sportspre ... =291368981

Here we go again. The “powers that be” at the University of Hawaii are clueless when it comes to running a D1 revenue producing sports.

Even with the firing of Gibbs and Akana, and the pending NCAA outcome due in <90 days and counting, coach Taylor and his young squad (only one senior, Nevels) are doing more than a creditable job keeping their focus on the court and fan’s interest at a high level.

Bottom line, the “powers that be” should look at the future. With Coach Taylor at the helm for the next 3 years, the future looks good. Coach Taylor will have a solid group (on scholarship) for the 2015-2016 season in sophomore Isacc Fleming, juniors Negus Webster-Chan, Stevan Jovanovic, Mike Thomas, Aaron Valdes, and Stevan Jankovic and seniors Quincy Smith and Roderick Bobbitt, Brandon Jawato.

Next year’s roster barring transfers:
2015-2016 Rainbow Warriors’ Roster 13 (9 scholarship, 4 walk-on)
Four scholarships open for the Class of 2015. However, if Brandon Jawato graduates this spring, decides to transfer out (he'll be able to play right away), that will open another scholarship for the Class of 2015.

Brandon Jawato, SG, 6-4/200, RsSr
Quincy Smith, PG, 6-0/170, Sr
Negus Webster-Chan, CG/SF, 6-7, RsJr
Stefan Jovanovic, C, 6-10/235, Jr
Mike Thomas, F, 6-8/215 Jr
Aaron Valdes, Swing/SF, 6-5/190, RsJr
Stefan Jankovic, C, 6-11/242, RsJr
Isaac Fleming, CG, 6-4/190, So (2014 Class)
Roderick Bobbitt, CG, 6-3/205, Sr, Indian Hills CC

Walk-on:
Niko Filipovich, PG, 6-0/160 RsSo
Dyrbe Enos, SG, 5-9/170, RsJr
Zach Buscher, G, 6-3, RsFr, Iolani
Brock Stepteau, G, RsFr, (Preferred walk-on)

What in the world are the “powers that be” thinking offering coach Taylor a one-year extension. Don’t they know “recruiting is the life-blood” of the program? LOL…what impact recruit will sign on with a coach in limbo.

Bringing in a new coach will impact the 2015 Recruiting Class and probably a KEY underclassman will transfer out. True-freshman Fleming, if he transfers out still has a RS year and after that, 3 to play 3 years. The rest of the underclassmen who had significant playing time at this point of the season: Quincy Smith and Roderick Bobbitt will be seniors; Negus Webster-Chan, Aaron Valdes Stefan Jankovic, will be Red-shirt juniors; Stefan Jovanovic and Mike Thomas will be true-juniors-if both decides to transfer out of the program, after sitting out a year, both will have 2 to play 2. Walk-ons: Niko Flilipovic will be redshirt sophomore if he stays with the program—but, if he transfers, after sitting out a year he’ll have 3 to play 2 years; Zach Busher and Brock Stepteau I believe redshirted this year, so after sitting out a year they’ll both have 4 to play 3; Dyrbe Enos is a redshirt sophomore this year, so if he transfers out he’ll have 2 to play 1 year after sitting out.

And with all the hoopla surrounding this year’s team, the basketball bows have a chance to meet or exceed expectations:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sportspre ... =291368951

The UH men’s basketball team has been a draw despite all the off-the-court drama

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Coach Taylor and the "powers that be"...................

Post by poidog »

I think a one-year extension is more than fair for a guy who "fell into" the job because of an NCAA investigation. Like it or not, he has ties to the guy who was fired and has some character issues he needs to address before they can feel good about offering him a multi-year deal. Remember, we got here because the University was not being careful enough with contracts, so I can't blame them for being cautious in this situation.

Also, "KEY underclassmen" have been transferring out every year since Gib took over. Why is it an issue now?

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

poidog wrote:I think a one-year extension is more than fair for a guy who "fell into" the job because of an NCAA investigation. Like it or not, he has ties to the guy who was fired and has some character issues he needs to address before they can feel good about offering him a multi-year deal. Remember, we got here because the University was not being careful enough with contracts, so I can't blame them for being cautious in this situation.

Also, "KEY underclassmen" have been transferring out every year since Gib took over. Why is it an issue now?
Mostly walkons and underperforming underclassmen transferred out...KEY transfers, Shamburger got his degree so he could transfer without loosing a year. The BIG transfer, actually turned PRO, Fotu because of "NCAA investigation".

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

seasider wrote:Mostly walkons and underperforming underclassmen transferred out...KEY transfers, Shamburger got his degree so he could transfer without loosing a year. The BIG transfer, actually turned PRO, Fotu because of "NCAA investigation".
Bo Barnes was not an underperforming underclassmen. He was a promising player who contributed as a true freshman. Trevor Wiseman and Shaq Stokes were not underperforming underclassmen. they were promising young players who, for whatever reason, clashed with Gib and decided it was in their best interests to leave. In fact, as Dave Reardon pointed out in a recent blog, 20 or 26 recruits in a three-year span left before completing their eligibility. 20 of 26!!! You think that's okay? it isn't okay. Maybe it will get better under Taylor, or maybe it won't. All I know is that he was here during all of that and my confidence that he will reverse that trend is very low. That is one of a few reasons why I don't think a long-term extension for Taylor is the right thing right now. If he's really the guy for the job he should take the one-year deal and prove to us that he can be a great full-time college coach and not just be "better than Gib" because being better than Gib isn't saying very much.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

poidog wrote:
seasider wrote:Mostly walkons and underperforming underclassmen transferred out...KEY transfers, Shamburger got his degree so he could transfer without loosing a year. The BIG transfer, actually turned PRO, Fotu because of "NCAA investigation".
Bo Barnes was not an underperforming underclassmen. He was a promising player who contributed as a true freshman. Trevor Wiseman and Shaq Stokes were not underperforming underclassmen. they were promising young players who, for whatever reason, clashed with Gib and decided it was in their best interests to leave. In fact, as Dave Reardon pointed out in a recent blog, 20 or 26 recruits in a three-year span left before completing their eligibility. 20 of 26!!! You think that's okay? it isn't okay. Maybe it will get better under Taylor, or maybe it won't. All I know is that he was here during all of that and my confidence that he will reverse that trend is very low. That is one of a few reasons why I don't think a long-term extension for Taylor is the right thing right now. If he's really the guy for the job he should take the one-year deal and prove to us that he can be a great full-time college coach and not just be "better than Gib" because being better than Gib isn't saying very much.
Shaq Stokes could've helped down the line...but, he had issues at home. Barnes and Wiseman were role players.

Except for Shamburger and Fotu who would definitely be in the rotation on this years team, the rest of the transfers, no pun intended, wouldn't see playing time on this present team...or been offered a scholarship. Maybe Shaq Stokes if his game have evloved from his freshman year. Stokes versus Flemming...no comparison, Flemming "mo betta" no pun intended to Shaq.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Right now we are losing to Cal-State Fullerton, 15-13. I know it's early but losing to them should be a fireable offense. Come on, this ain't baseball!
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

gopunahou wrote:Right now we are losing to Cal-State Fullerton, 15-13. I know it's early but losing to them should be a fireable offense. Come on, this ain't baseball!
No pun intended, but your parents paid big bucks for a Punahou education...please what is a "fireable offense" and..."this ain't baseball"?

managerr
All-conference
All-conference

Post by managerr »

[quote="seasiderNo pun intended, but your parents paid big bucks for a Punahou education...please what is a "fireable offense" and..."this ain't baseball"?[/quote]

Losing to the #296 team in the country would have been fireable--but we didn't.

Bottom line is that Taylor could have locked up the job already with a stronger performance in conference play. But a 5th place showing so far--that's the reason his job is up in the air.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

seasider wrote:
gopunahou wrote:Right now we are losing to Cal-State Fullerton, 15-13. I know it's early but losing to them should be a fireable offense. Come on, this ain't baseball!
No pun intended, but your parents paid big bucks for a Punahou education...please what is a "fireable offense" and..."this ain't baseball"?
Isn't CSUF a baseball powerhouse? I was saying I could understand losing to them in baseball but basketball, where they are like 2-8 in the conference? It shouldn't happen and good thing it didn't.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

gopunahou wrote: Isn't CSUF a baseball powerhouse? I was saying I could understand losing to them in baseball but basketball, where they are like 2-8 in the conference? It shouldn't happen and good thing it didn't.
Rather great points gopunahou.....but, where are we going with the program if Benji isn't the answer? Start all over? We are in the BIG West,and I really thought we had a better chance getting into the NCCAs than from any other conference.......Gibb didn't get us there, and neither did Nash..... :read:
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Ravens

Post by noasark2x2 »

Taylor's not getting us there either we are middle of the pack still. Taylor is more of the same from Gib.
My suggestion would be to go after a VCU assistant Jeremy Ballard would be awesome or a Gonzaga Assitant. Or maybe Erin Ganot.
Let's Go Bows

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

noasark2x2 wrote:Taylor's not getting us there either we are middle of the pack still. Taylor is more of the same from Gib.
My suggestion would be to go after a VCU assistant Jeremy Ballard would be awesome or a Gonzaga Assitant. Or maybe Erin Ganot.
:hello1: Great post noasark2x2.....and nice choices as well.
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

At this point of the season, the team with Coach Taylor at the helm:

Men’s basketball (one home game remaining) averaging 6,108 is close to Wahine volleyball’s 6,652 average per home game. Even without Isaac Fotu, and promising frosh Sammis Reyes, a back-to-back 20 win season is money in the bank. With 2 more regular conference (1 home, 1 away) games and 1 or more BWC tournament games yet to be played.

Consecutive 20 win seasons:
Red Rocha FAB 5-1970-71/1971-72
Riley Wallace AC Carter/Alika Smith-1996-97/1997-98

Even when the team lose, this team is fun to watch, reminiscent of past 20 win seasons.

And, as per my opening post...LOL…this team has only one senior in Nevels, the rest: electrifying freshman Isaac Fleming; sophomores Negas Webster-Chan, Stefan Jankovic, Aaron Valdes, Mike Thomas, Stefan Jovanovic; juniors Roderick Bobbitt, Quincy Smith, Brandon Jawato. The rest are underclassmen walk-ons: Niko Flipovich, Dyrbe Enos, Zach Bushcer, and Brocke Stepteau.

Four scholarships will be open for the 2015 Recruiting Class. IMHO Flipovich should be given one.

LOL…extending coach Taylor’s contract to 3 years is a no brainer move for “the powers that be”; and, money in the bank for the Athletic Department.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

seasider wrote: And, as per my opening post...LOL…this team has only one senior in Nevels, the rest: electrifying freshman Isaac Fleming; sophomores Negas Webster-Chan, Stefan Jankovic, Aaron Valdes, Mike Thomas, Stefan Jovanovic; juniors Roderick Bobbitt, Quincy Smith, Brandon Jawato. The rest are underclassmen walk-ons: Niko Flipovich, Dyrbe Enos, Zach Bushcer, and Brocke Stepteau.
There is no reason to believe this team will return intact for 2015-2016 season. The annual mass exodus, a new UH basketball tradition, will occur again, especially now that Gib is out. This will be like football all over again. They'll lock Benji up, and then everyone will bolt...coaches, players, etc.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

J-Rod wrote:
seasider wrote: And, as per my opening post...LOL…this team has only one senior in Nevels, the rest: electrifying freshman Isaac Fleming; sophomores Negas Webster-Chan, Stefan Jankovic, Aaron Valdes, Mike Thomas, Stefan Jovanovic; juniors Roderick Bobbitt, Quincy Smith, Brandon Jawato. The rest are underclassmen walk-ons: Niko Flipovich, Dyrbe Enos, Zach Bushcer, and Brocke Stepteau.
There is no reason to believe this team will return intact for 2015-2016 season. The annual mass exodus, a new UH basketball tradition, will occur again, especially now that Gib is out. This will be like football all over again. They'll lock Benji up, and then everyone will bolt...coaches, players, etc.
Could happen as UHs plan is to begin posting the job soon as Taylor turned down an offer for a one year extention. Taylor is out recruiting now and this is what I think we should be watching. To see what kind of players he will be able to bring in.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: