UH Men's Basketball 2021

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
shrek2
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

UH Men's Basketball 2021

Post by shrek2 »

Watched the second half of the game against UC Riverside and the team looks different with the stars being all newcomers. UH won 88-83. UCR can't be that bad as they beat Pac-12 Washington Huskies 57-42. The stars for the team looked to be Junior Madut and James Jean-Marie both transfers. Most points, most rebounds and most minutes. Mate Colina still doesn't appear to have a move to the basket or a shot from 5 feet and not dominating on the boards. Casdon Jardin looks like he's got a left handed layup at 6'7. Not many minutes played by Silva or Hemsley.

I usually send the game to my tv and really dislike the Big-West broadcasting (amateurish) and really appreciate Spectrum with their multiple camera looks and closeups.

shrek2
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: UH Men's Basketball 2021

Post by shrek2 »

UCR beat UH by 2, 70-68 on a last second shot by their big man. Casdon Jardin is probably their most valuable player on offense/defense as I watched the entire game. Hawaii had the ball with 35 seconds left with the game tied and Justin Webster took a three pointer with 16 seconds left missing the rim leaving UCR with 15 seconds. I wonder if the coaches told them to take the shot with the shot clock down to 5 instead of taking the shot when its open. If they had an expiired shot clock it would have only left UCR with 5 seconds instead of 15. Anyway Jardin was 4-4 from three and 10 for 12 overall with 9 rb. When he hits from the outside he's really good at the fake, drive and shoot or pass back out. The guard play is questionable. UCR guards got a lot of rebound/second shots.

Funny that there were a lot of media timeouts but they didn't cut to a video commercial but it seemed like a radio commercial.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly So. Cal. (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Not entirely unexpected given his lack of playing time.....even in the exhibition games against HPU and UH-Hilo.....considering that local walk-on F Zoar Nedd logged more playing time in those games. https://twitter.com/ManelAyol/status/1348749557807550464 https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1348730694193741825

My3Cats
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by My3Cats »

Division I is a much higher level of play than JC. He must have struggled with the offensive responsibilities in Ganot's system.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by shrek2 »

Only one and a half games for me watching UH Basketball but I think Casdon Jardin will be a force on this year's team. Video below on his interview with Kayleen Fukushima.

Link

shrek2
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by shrek2 »

I was yelling at the television no cross court pass. There was three turnovers because of that against UCB. Then there was no weak side help against their 260 pound center when he got the ball inside. Also, there was no kickout on the drives to give opportunities on the three point. When the guards make a decision to drive, they are only going to kickout when they are trapped. Also, they need a little more hand strength. Can't believe that they lost so many balls because they have rubber hands.

shrek2
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by shrek2 »

UH outcoached by UCB. I thought Irvine had a good coaching staff but Bakersfield will be probably be tough in this conference.