HS Hoops 2021-2022

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: HS Hoops 2021-2022

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, they're playing Waianae right now, and it's the 3rd qrtr. At the moment, Aiea is up 25-21.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, they ended-up losing by 3, 56-53.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Punahou beat St Louis, 55-52. You know St Louis alumni are pissed. They probably thought St Louis would go undefeated all the way to the D1 State title. I certainly did. Doo-doo happens.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

I see you're online. You said you follow only football, but your alma mater plays-on in other sports, too, of course. Unfortunately, their girls' basketball team is getting hammered by Nanakuli. It's the 4th qrtr, and the score is unbelievable: 50-3. That's no typo, unfortunately.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:54 pm Punahou beat St Louis, 55-52. You know St Louis alumni are pissed. They probably thought St Louis would go undefeated all the way to the D1 State title. I certainly did. Doo-doo happens.
I’m not a fan of either team, but it’s better to lose in the regular season, than in the playoffs. At least St Louis can figure out what went wrong.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

I'm not a fan of either team, too, but I'd much rather have St Louis School than Punahou School, so I was kind of pissed when the latter won. It was just a 3-point loss, so I don't know if St Louis has to make major structural changes. It could have been simply a bad bounce here and a missed bucket there, especially during the last minute of the game. It's not like they lost to a sucky team; Punahou is ranked #5. They might go up in the rankings in this coming Tuesday's poll.

By the way, the final score of the girls' basketball game against Nanakuli was 65-8. Sorry to report that. I don't know, the Aiea HC obviously needs to do something about the team. Perhaps give some of the girls warming the bench, another look.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:38 pm @ChadFukuoka:

I see you're online. You said you follow only football, but your alma mater plays-on in other sports, too, of course. Unfortunately, their girls' basketball team is getting hammered by Nanakuli. It's the 4th qrtr, and the score is unbelievable: 50-3. That's no typo, unfortunately.
Well, basketball isn’t Aiea’s sport, for now. I believe Aiea girls basketball won a state title sometime in the early 2000’s. I was probably in middle school at the time. When I was a student in high school, I went to a ton of football games, and some baseball and volleyball games. I believe I attended a few softball games, when I knew some girls on the JV team. Never went to a basketball game.

I’d probably say basketball isn’t one of my favorite sports. Just never got into the flow of it.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka: Well, basketball is the second-biggest sport after football, but that's OK; you don't have to like it. Everyone's different. I don't dislike Aiea High at all, so I feel bad for them. I wish they were doing better in basketball. I have nothing against that school at all.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:58 pm @ChadFukuoka:

I'm not a fan of either team, too, but I'd much rather have St Louis School than Punahou School, so I was kind of pissed when the latter won. It was just a 3-point loss, so I don't know if St Louis has to make major structural changes. It could have been simply a bad bounce here and a missed bucket there, especially during the last minute of the game. It's not like they lost to a sucky team; Punahou is ranked #5. They might go up in the rankings in this coming Tuesday's poll.

By the way, the final score of the girls' basketball game against Nanakuli was 65-8. Sorry to report that. I don't know, the Aiea HC obviously needs to do something about the team. Perhaps give some of the girls warming the bench, another look.
Speaking of lopsided scores, in girls soccer, Mililani defeated Radford 18-0. I think high school soccer plays 80 minute games, 40 minutes per half. 18 goals by one team in soccer is crazy, I wonder if that’s a Hawaii state record. Soccer is a relatively low scoring sport, even in high school leagues, where like in this game, there is a big talent gap between teams.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, Moanalua's girls' team beat McKinley by the same score, 18-0, two weeks ago. I mean, some schools suck in girls' soccer, right? That's all there is to it. I'm sure Radford alumni and McKinley alumni are pissed by the scores, but what can you do? It is what it is. Now, Radford might be able to get revenge against Moanalua in girls' basketball, as they're 8-1. I'm afraid McKinley isn't going to get revenge against Moanalua in girls' basketball; they got blown-out by Kaiser last night, 50-10. That's not a typo; McKinley scored only ten points the entire game. I think the McKinley HC needs to give the girls warming the bench, another look. I mean, McKinley alumni must be really pissed about how that school's girls' soccer and girls' basketball teams are doing.

I think there's something really stupid going-on in ILH girls' soccer. They've got the 1 and 2 teams of the same school playing each other. The Punahou 1 team played the Punahou 2 team, winning 7-0. Does that strike anyone as stupid? If a school has a 2 team, there should be a separate division for them, as in D2. I mean, I don't like Punahou School, but I feel sorry for the girls on the Punahou 2 team. I think it sucks to put any school in the position of beating-up on another team from the same school. I think there's something very unfair, uncool, and awkward about it.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:19 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Well, Moanalua's girls' team beat McKinley by the same score, 18-0, two weeks ago. I mean, some schools suck in girls' soccer, right? That's all there is to it. I'm sure Radford alumni and McKinley alumni are pissed by the scores, but what can you do? It is what it is. Now, Radford might be able to get revenge against Moanalua in girls' basketball, as they're 8-1. I'm afraid McKinley isn't going to get revenge against Moanalua in girls' basketball; they got blown-out by Kaiser last night, 50-10. That's not a typo; McKinley scored only ten points the entire game. I think the McKinley HC needs to give the girls warming the bench, another look. I mean, McKinley alumni must be really pissed about how that school's girls' soccer and girls' basketball teams are doing.

I think there's something really stupid going-on in ILH girls' soccer. They've got the 1 and 2 teams of the same school playing each other. The Punahou 1 team played the Punahou 2 team, winning 7-0. Does that strike anyone as stupid? If a school has a 2 team, there should be a separate division for them, as in D2. I mean, I don't like Punahou School, but I feel sorry for the girls on the Punahou 2 team. I think it sucks to put any school in the position of beating-up on another team from the same school. I think there's something very unfair, uncool, and awkward about it.
Do you think it helps the girls on the 2 team, who will maybe move up to varsity if they’re underclassmen, to play against them? I’m guessing not all schools have a reserve team, and even the other schools that play in D2, or D3, it’s actually the varsity team that’s playing. So maybe reserve teams at D1 schools just don’t have enough opponents to play against.

I’d imagine if a school is bad at a sport, the players on the bench are probably worse. Usually, if you’re on the bench, you couldn’t beat out the starters. It’s probably just lack of talent. There has to always be someone at the bottom.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

I guess in a sense, it "helps" a 2 team to play a 1 team. But, I think there's still something very uncool about playing the 1 team from your own school. There's something awkward and internecine about it. To avoid it, I think a school's 2 coach should forfeit to the same school's 1 coach, as a courtesy.

And yeah, I guess it does stand to reason that the girls riding the bench are worse than the starters. But, sometimes there isn't that much of a dropoff. Perhaps if a school gets blown-out, and a benchrider is not that much worse than a starter, let the benchrider start the next game. If she sucks, you can always send the starter back in. And, that gives the starters an incentive to play their absolute best, to avoid getting benched. Also, it gives the bench a chance to play. After all, those girls have to attend practice, too.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:19 pm @ChadFukuoka:

McKinley is really struggling in a lot of the major sports. Their football team has been losing for a while. I guess their girls soccer team is bad this year as well. I believe their baseball team has had some difficult seasons. You’ve mentioned they keep getting players poached by St Louis in football. Does this also happen for their other sports? Or is it a different problem?

bow89
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bow89 »

For those complaining about Saint Louis playing D2 soccer and volleyball, you need to remember that Saint Louis is a relatively small school enrollment wise. Unless you are asking every student to play multiple sports, they usually don't have enough sport specific athletes to compete in D1. Just because they have a large squad playing football doesn't mean that the football students want to play soccer. No one complains that other Open division football schools play D2 sports or that Iolani plays D1 in all sports, but not football. Saint Louis' total high school enrollment is probably under 500 students. As was previously stated, SLS lost to Kamehameha 7-0. Are you saying that just because you are good in some sports, you should have your students go out and get clobbered by everyone in other sports? If that's the case, then Iolani should move up to the Open division whenever they win a D1 state championship in another sport.

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

bow89 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:32 pm No one complains that other Open division football schools play D2 sports or that Iolani plays D1 in all sports, but not football. Saint Louis' total high school enrollment is probably under 500 students.
Sorry ... gotta correct a few misstatements here:
-- The rule I'm advocating is for all schools (not just St.L) to play all sports in the division of their football team and not lower.
-- Iolani does play D1 football.
-- St.L's enrollment may be "probably under 500 students," but they're all male. So if you want to compare that to a co-ed school, divide the other school by 2. MPI has about 800 students in high school, so that's about 400 boys. MPI plays D1 soccer and volleyball.