HS Hoops 2021-2022

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: HS Hoops 2021-2022

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@locomoko:

Yeah; I mean, if St Louis is in Open for football and in D1 for basketball, why should they be allowed to be in D2 for soccer? But, since in ILH soccer D2 schools have to play D1 schools, why have D2 soccer in the ILH in the first place? And again, why should St Louis be allowed D2 status in any sport? There's something messed-up in the ILH. Some schools like St Louis are being allowed to have it both ways.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:18 am @locomoko:

Yeah; I mean, if St Louis is in Open for football and in D1 for basketball, why should they be allowed to be in D2 for soccer? But, since in ILH soccer D2 schools have to play D1 schools, why have D2 soccer in the ILH in the first place? And again, why should St Louis be allowed D2 status in any sport? There's something messed-up in the ILH. Some schools like St Louis are being allowed to have it both ways.
There are still separate league and state tournaments for D1 and D2 in boys soccer, along with other sports like basketball, volleyball, etc. I believe only games against opponents at your level (D1 or D2), count towards qualifying for league and state tournaments.

It’s just because there aren’t enough teams to play a full schedule in the ILH. Or teams would play each other 3 times in the regular season.

I’m guessing the ILH allows St Louis to play in D2 for some sports based on performance? The soccer team was blown out by Kam 7-0 like you mentioned earlier. I wonder if things like that are just based on a school’s decision to drop down a level, or if the other ILH D2 schools have to approve it.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Because they might not had recruited for soccer. I would believe many small St.Louis football reserves, could run circles around a 6'5" 325 lbs blue chip. Off season some kids have basketball, wrestling, judo, volleyball etc. So soccer at St.Louis might be last and less important. But because of popularity and college scholarship, it will gain traction.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:24 am

There are still separate league and state tournaments for D1 and D2 in boys soccer, along with other sports like basketball, volleyball, etc. I believe only games against opponents at your level (D1 or D2), count towards qualifying for league and state tournaments.

It’s just because there aren’t enough teams to play a full schedule in the ILH. Or teams would play each other 3 times in the regular season.

I’m guessing the ILH allows St Louis to play in D2 for some sports based on performance? The soccer team was blown out by Kam 7-0 like you mentioned earlier. I wonder if things like that are just based on a school’s decision to drop down a level, or if the other ILH D2 schools have to approve it.
@ChadFukuoka:

I don't know, I still think there's a ripoff here. I mean, if St Louis can field a football team good enough to be in Open, why can't they field a soccer team good enough to be in D1? The Saints shouldn't be able to have it both ways. If a school is in D1 (or Open) in one sport, it should be forced to be D1 in all sports. All or nothing. Like locomoko said, a school shouldn't be allowed to cherry-pick. Kamehameha should tell St Louis, "Hey! We're in D1 for all sports; what's your excuse? Get with it!"

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheNewNORM wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:37 am

Because they might not had recruited for soccer. I would believe many small St.Louis football reserves, could run circles around a 6'5" 325 lbs blue chip. Off season some kids have basketball, wrestling, judo, volleyball etc. So soccer at St.Louis might be last and less important. But because of popularity and college scholarship, it will gain traction.
@TheNewNORM:

OK, but couldn't the same be said for Kamehameha? I mean, if a school is good enough to be in Open for football, it ought to be good enough to be in D1 for all other sports. St Louis shouldn't be allowed to panty-out in soccer and volleyball. In the OIA, there's no D2 for soccer. The school you're a fan of, Kahuku, is in the same division as the best soccer schools in the OIA East. If Kahuku is forced to be in the same division as the best soccer schools in the OIA East, St Louis should be forced to be in the same division as the best soccer schools in the ILH (there's no "East" or "West" in the ILH). I think St Louis is riding a double standard. Kamehameha and Kahuku are manning-up. So should St Louis. A school shouldn't be able to run with the big dogs in football, and then run with the puppies in soccer. All or nothing.

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:06 am
TheNewNORM wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:37 am

@TheNewNORM:

I mean, if a school is good enough to be in Open for football, it ought to be good enough to be in D1 for all other sports. St Louis shouldn't be allowed to panty-out in soccer and volleyball. ... Kamehameha and Kahuku are manning-up. So should St Louis. A school shouldn't be able to run with the big dogs in football, and then run with the puppies in soccer. All or nothing.
The school that cannot hack D1 soccer or volleyball is currently ranked #1 in the state in Basketball. Likely will be ranked #1 (or close to it) in baseball too.

Crusaders absolutely belong in D1 in ALL sports.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@locomoko:

Amen. I don't exactly like St Louis School, so I hate to see them get off easy in soccer and volleyball. But again, ILH D2 soccer schools still have to play the D1 schools like Kamehameha, which kicked St Louis' butts, 7-0. I don't know if ILH D2 volleyball schools also have to play the D1 schools.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Watching the ILH and OIA basketball, I see that ILH has a stricter facemask rule. OIA is wearing it on their chin? Why even wear it?

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

As far as soccer, communities with more asian kids probably had youth programs since the kids were 5. This also goes for baseball. So should the high school in those areas be top tier? I never heard Farrington, Kahuku or Waianae winning the Soccer championship. To tell you the truth I never seen a dedicated soccer field in Kalihi,Waianae or Kahuku lol.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheNewNORM wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:57 pm Watching the ILH and OIA basketball, I see that ILH has a stricter facemask rule. OIA is wearing it on their chin? Why even wear it?
@TheNewNORM:

I don't know; if you watch the high school games on TV, both leagues seem to have players on the court with their masks around only their chins. My hunch is that in the hustle and running of basketball, those masks simply work their way down the players' faces.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheNewNORM wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:21 pm As far as soccer, communities with more asian kids probably had youth programs since the kids were 5. This also goes for baseball. So should the high school in those areas be top tier? I never heard Farrington, Kahuku or Waianae winning the Soccer championship. To tell you the truth I never seen a dedicated soccer field in Kalihi,Waianae or Kahuku lol.
@TheNewNORM:

Well, if I recall correctly, Kahuku had a pretty good boys' soccer team about 8 years ago or so. In baseball, Waianae and Farrington have had above-average baseball teams over the years. The one thing that stands out is that I can't remember Kahuku ever having a good baseball team. St Louis might point the finger and laugh at Kahuku for that, as St Louis was ILH champs this past season. To offset that, looking forward this school year, Kahuku has to find a way to be stronger than St Louis in some sport other than football and basketball. I think that sport might be soccer. Kahuku kicked McKinley's butts in soccer, 6-0. McKinley's soccer team is pretty decent; they don't suck. If Kahuku were to play St Louis, I'm pretty sure they'd beat the Saints. We'll probably never know, because even if both schools made States, they'd be in different divisions: Kahuku in D1, St Louis in D2. The question is: Will Kahuku make the D1 State tourney, and will St Louis make the D2 State tourney? Even if they both do, they won't meet. I'm sure Kahuku would love to play St Louis and beat them. They might not kick their butts, but I think they'd beat them. We'll never know, because St Louis is pantying-out in ILH D2, while Kahuku is slugging it out with the best soccer schools in OIA East. I think we both agree that since St Louis is in Open for football, they have no business being in D2 for soccer. That deprives Kahuku of ever having the chance to play them and beat them. It's like St Louis can thumb their noses at Kahuku, from behind the "protective glass" of D2.

Also, of course there need not be a dedicated soccer field near a school; every school uses its football field. And, it doesn't matter if they have a stadium or not. Each school simply puts-up the soccer nets at both goals, stadium or not.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

For people hoping that Punahou finishes with a losing league record, keep in mind that’s never happened since 1991.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou:

Well, you know that unfortunately I dislike your alma mater, so yes, I hope they finish with a losing record. But, it doesn't matter that it hasn't happened since '91, right? After all, history doesn't play; it's the players on the team this year, who play. Each year is a new year, and anything can happen. Precedent really means nothing, right? For example, when a school plays Punahou, that school doesn't care about the last time Punahou had a losing record; they might not even know that it was '91. All they know is that they want to win the game, like any school would. And, if they have the better team that night, that's probably exactly what they'll do: Win the game.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me whether a school has a losing record or not. To me, if they don't make States, nothing else matters. For example, I like Kamehameha. But if they don't make States, it wouldn't matter to me if they didn't win any games at all. I mean, if a school doesn't make States, its season is over; does its record really matter? I don't know; not to me. If the season's over for that school, the season's over. That alone sucks enough that, to me, who cares about their record. Their season is just as over as any other school that might have won more games, yet their season is over, too.

Speaking of Kamehameha, they beat Mid-Pac by only 7 this past Tuesday. If they keep playing like that, they won't make States.

@ChadFukuoka:

I see you're online. Unfortunately, your alma mater lost to Waialua last night by 1 point, 68-67. That sucks. Those 1-point losses are devastating. All the effort, hustle, and sweat that goes into a basketball game, and you lose by just 1 point? That always sucks.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Pretty big upset: Maryknoll beat Iolani in boys' basketball a few minutes ago, 55-49. Iolani alumni must be pissed.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:31 pm @gopunahou:

Well, you know that unfortunately I dislike your alma mater, so yes, I hope they finish with a losing record. But, it doesn't matter that it hasn't happened since '91, right? After all, history doesn't play; it's the players on the team this year, who play. Each year is a new year, and anything can happen. Precedent really means nothing, right? For example, when a school plays Punahou, that school doesn't care about the last time Punahou had a losing record; they might not even know that it was '91. All they know is that they want to win the game, like any school would. And, if they have the better team that night, that's probably exactly what they'll do: Win the game.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me whether a school has a losing record or not. To me, if they don't make States, nothing else matters. For example, I like Kamehameha. But if they don't make States, it wouldn't matter to me if they didn't win any games at all. I mean, if a school doesn't make States, its season is over; does its record really matter? I don't know; not to me. If the season's over for that school, the season's over. That alone sucks enough that, to me, who cares about their record. Their season is just as over as any other school that might have won more games, yet their season is over, too.

Speaking of Kamehameha, they beat Mid-Pac by only 7 this past Tuesday. If they keep playing like that, they won't make States.

@ChadFukuoka:

I see you're online. Unfortunately, your alma mater lost to Waialua last night by 1 point, 68-67. That sucks. Those 1-point losses are devastating. All the effort, hustle, and sweat that goes into a basketball game, and you lose by just 1 point? That always sucks.
I really only watch football. I just checked, and Aiea is apparently winless on the season, 0-5. I'm guessing the boys basketball team is down this year.