HS Hoops 2021-2022

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: HS Hoops 2021-2022

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:07 pm @gopunahou:

From what I understand, Bianco is a good basketball player, so I'm assuming he'll join St Louis' team now that football is over.
Timmy Chang was a baller and a three-year starter, but didn't play his senior season. Had he played as a senior, St. Louis would've likely won states, becoming only the second team to do that (1975-76 Kamehameha is the only school to have done that). Kahuku also could've won states in basketball and football in 2016-17 had they done what they did against us in 2011 and 2012 (i.e. surprise St. Louis with passes).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@gopunahou:

Well, we have no reason to believe Bianco won't play basketball. And now that you've mentioned Kamehameha's '75-'76 basketball team, that team also had the QB (Blaine Gaison) who helped Kamehameha win the Prep Bowl title that school year, in Fall '75. And Gaison, like Bianco this year, was a senior that year. Gaison wasn't as good a passer or runner as Bianco, but he got the job done in Fall '75. If Bianco plays for UH, that's what Gaison did, too; Gaison played QB and DB for UH. What's more, Gaison went on to play Pro, playing DB for the Atlanta Falcons. So, if Bianco plays basketball for St Louis and then plays football for UH, there'd be a lot of similarities between he and Gaison, some 44 years later.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:32 pm @gopunahou:

Well, we have no reason to believe Bianco won't play basketball. And now that you've mentioned Kamehameha's '75-'76 basketball team, that team also had the QB (Blaine Gaison) who helped Kamehameha win the Prep Bowl title that school year, in Fall '75. And Gaison, like Bianco this year, was a senior that year. Gaison wasn't as good a passer or runner as Bianco, but he got the job done in Fall '75. If Bianco plays for UH, that's what Gaison did, too; Gaison played QB and DB for UH. What's more, Gaison went on to play Pro, playing DB for the Atlanta Falcons. So, if Bianco plays basketball for St Louis and then plays football for UH, there'd be a lot of similarities between he and Gaison, some 44 years later.
I should've known you'd mention the 70s. You always talk about that period.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou:

Well, I was in high school in the mid-'70s, so that was "my time." By the way, seeing as this is the basketball thread, the Punahou Boys' Invitational is going-on right now. Punahou made the mistake of inviting Iolani, which will probably win the D1 State title. I wouldn't be surprised if they play Punahou for the title. So, the championship game for the Punahou Invitational will probably feature those two schools, with Iolani likely winning. That will piss-off a lot of Punahou alumni, as Iolani School is Punahou School's most bitter rival.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou:

Correction: Looks like it might be Iolani vs Kamehameha for the D1 State title. Kamehameha murdered Kalaheo by 32 points a little earlier today.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Well it's too early to call any lead horse in this BB season. Of course any 2 ILH team will be in at the end. With Tolentino gone from Maryknoll, they still have a good chance. With Punahou turning in the pads early, lots of extra time for transitions from FB to bb. Iolani already touting those 2 players, plus help from football players too.
Kalaheo is a basketball school. Kahuku has been up there too. Brandyn Akana is a good coach. Also has connections for his players to get in D1 college programs. I'm sure he has plan for this season.
Plus with the 24 flavors of covid, who knows what's in store. Just hope they can at least play out their division schedule. At least now it's a five day quarantine and milder symptoms so the turn around for players is manageable.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

TheNewNORM wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:09 pm Well it's too early to call any lead horse in this BB season. Of course any 2 ILH team will be in at the end. With Tolentino gone from Maryknoll, they still have a good chance. With Punahou turning in the pads early, lots of extra time for transitions from FB to bb. Iolani already touting those 2 players, plus help from football players too.
Kalaheo is a basketball school. Kahuku has been up there too. Brandyn Akana is a good coach. Also has connections for his players to get in D1 college programs. I'm sure he has plan for this season.
Plus with the 24 flavors of covid, who knows what's in store. Just hope they can at least play out their division schedule. At least now it's a five day quarantine and milder symptoms so the turn around for players is manageable.
It’d be interesting if Kahuku were to win states, winning football and basketball the same year. It’s only happened once when Kamehameha won the Prep Bowl and state basketball championship in 1975-76.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheNewNORM wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:09 pm Well it's too early to call any lead horse in this BB season. Of course any 2 ILH team will be in at the end. With Tolentino gone from Maryknoll, they still have a good chance. With Punahou turning in the pads early, lots of extra time for transitions from FB to bb. Iolani already touting those 2 players, plus help from football players too.
@TheNewNORM:

I agree that Kalaheo is a basketball school, but the only D1 ILH schools they can beat are Damien and Mid-Pac. I'd be surprised if Kahuku would be that much better. Leilehua was OIA JV champ from the last season played ('20), so those JV players are seniors on the vars now. Leilehua has already been mowed-down by ILH D1 schools.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:22 pm
It’d be interesting if Kahuku were to win states, winning football and basketball the same year. It’s only happened once when Kamehameha won the Prep Bowl and state basketball championship in 1975-76.
@gopunahou:

No way will Kahuku win State basketball this year. They wouldn't get past any ILH D1 schools except Damien and Mid-Pac. They might get past St Louis, but QB Bianco is a good basketball player. Question: How many guys on the Kahuku football team are also good in basketball? That might determine whether they can beat St Louis.

BowTow
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by BowTow »

That freshman Mandaquit looks like the real deal.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

BowTow wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:45 pm That freshman Mandaquit looks like the real deal.
Is he the son of Jason Mandaquit, who won a state title in 2000? The 2000 state title game would’ve been much more compelling had Timmy Chang played hoops his senior year. St. Louis could’ve won states in football and basketball that year or at least given Hilo a better game.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

BowTow wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:45 pm That freshman Mandaquit looks like the real deal.
@BowTow:

He's one reason Iolani will probably win D1 States.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:10 pm
Is he the son of Jason Mandaquit, who won a state title in 2000? The 2000 state title game would’ve been much more compelling had Timmy Chang played hoops his senior year. St. Louis could’ve won states in football and basketball that year or at least given Hilo a better game.
@gopunahou:

The question is, was it for the better or for the worse? Personally, I prefer Hilo High to St Louis School.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

News flash: Today's Star-Advertiser's first state boys' basketball poll has Iolani School and St Louis School tied for first. For those who don't care for Iolani School, that might be something of a relief. It is, for me. I mean, I don't exactly like St Louis School, but I'd rather have them than Iolani School. Iolani School is ranked #1 in the girls' basketball poll. I'd sure hate to see that school win both D1 State titles. I'd rather see St Louis take the boys' title.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Maui Prep? #10? Interesting. Baldwin and Maui the only outer island teams in the top 10. How can Konawaena girls program excel yet the boys cant? Is there limited club play? When the city parks had boys league play, lots of players came out of these teams. Remember the Kalakaua program run by Dennis Agena was a big producer of talent. Times have changed.