HS Hoops 2021-2022

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: HS Hoops 2021-2022

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@TheNewNORM:

The Star-Advertiser actually has Maui Prep ranked #9. Regarding Konawaena, well, just because the girls' team is good, doesn't necessarily mean the boys' team is, too, right? It might be coaching, or, simply that the boys aren't as talented as the girls. Look at the Kahuku girls' volleyball team; they're D1 OIA champs. But, I doubt that the boys' team will be champs. The Kamehameha girls' volleyball team is D1 State champs, but the boys' team probably won't be. So, whether it's a public school or a private school, that school won't necessarily be highly ranked for both the girls' and boys' teams in the same sport; so many variables, including the competition. Kamehameha's girls' volleyball team went on to win the D1 State title, but the boys' team will likely run into tougher competition from Punahou. Both schools are tough in girls' and boys' volleyball. For example, Punahou's girls actually won the ILH title, but Kamehameha's girls swept them for the State title. For any sport, it might just so happen that a school's girls' or boys' team might be lucky enough to have a bumper crop of talent, whereas the other gender's team doesn't. Then there's the possible impact of injuries, etc. So many different variables. Two reasons Kamehameha's girls didn't win the ILH title was that their #1 player was away for a long period of time playing for the national junior team, and, their #2 player had a long-term ankle injury.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:27 am @TheNewNORM:

The Star-Advertiser actually has Maui Prep ranked #9. Regarding Konawaena, well, just because the girls' team is good, doesn't necessarily mean the boys' team is, too, right? It might be coaching, or, simply that the boys aren't as talented as the girls. Look at the Kahuku girls' volleyball team; they're D1 OIA champs. But, I doubt that the boys' team will be champs. The Kamehameha girls' volleyball team is D1 ILH champs, but the boys' team probably won't be. So, whether it's a public school or a private school, that school won't necessarily be highly ranked for both the girls' and boys' teams in the same sport; so many variables, including the competition. Kamehameha's girls' volleyball team went on to win the D1 State title, but the boys' team will likely run into tougher competition from Punahou. Both schools are tough in girls' and boys' volleyball. For example, Punahou's girls actually won the ILH title, but Kamehameha's girls swept them for the State title. For any sport, it might just so happen that a school's girls' or boys' team might be lucky enough to have a bumper crop of talent, whereas the other gender's team doesn't. Then there's the possible impact of injuries, etc. So many different variables. Two reasons Kamehameha's volleyball players didn't win the ILH title was that their #1 player was away for a long period of time playing for the national junior team, and, their #2 player had a long-term ankle injury.
I really only watch high school football, but I’ve never heard of Maui Prep. How big is their enrollment? I know basketball requires less players, but it seems uncommon for a small school (I’m assuming) to be ranked so high. It kind of reminds me of when Academy of the Pacific here on Oahu was ranked really high in boys basketball.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Yeah, Maui Prep is a relatively new private high school (well, I think they're actually K-12). I think they were established about 2005. Their nickname is Pueo (that's Hawaiian for Owls, like Mid-Pac Institute). I think their colors are green and white. So they have many similarities to Mid-Pac Institute: Same colors, and same basic nickname. Yes, they're a small school, but of course you really only need 5 good players to have a good basketball team. Maryknoll School is much smaller than Kamehameha Schools and Punahou School, yet for over 40 years they've been just about as good in boys' basketball. Again, if a school has as few as 5 good players, they can be very competitive. Maryknoll, a small school, is in the Top Ten almost every year in boys' basketball, and their girls' teams usually aren't too shabby, either. As TheNewNORM said, Kalaheo is a basketball school. Well, so is Maryknoll. And, Kalaheo isn't that big a school as public schools go. Yet, they often seem to have boys' basketball teams that are just as good if not better than those of much bigger public schools, even private schools sometimes.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:44 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Yeah, Maui Prep is a relatively new private high school (well, I think they're actually K-12). I think they were established about 2005. Their nickname is Pueo (that's Hawaiian for Owls, like Mid-Pac Institute). I think their colors are green and white. So they have many similarities to Mid-Pac Institute: Same colors, and same basic nickname. Yes, they're a small school, but of course you really only need 5 good players to have a good basketball team. Maryknoll School is much smaller than Kamehameha Schools and Punahou School, yet for over 40 years they've been just about as good in boys' basketball. Again, if a school has as few as 5 good players, they can be very competitive. Maryknoll, a small school, is in the Top Ten almost every year in boys' basketball, and their girls' teams usually aren't too shabby, either. As TheNewNORM said, Kalaheo is a basketball school. Well, so is Maryknoll. And, Kalaheo isn't that big a school as public schools go. Yet, they often seem to have boys' basketball teams that are just as good if not better than those of much bigger public schools, even private schools sometimes.
They also have the same colors as my alma mater, Aiea High.

I’m not too familiar with the inner workings of athletic departments, but I wonder if a smaller school doesn’t have a football team, or are part of PAC-5, or in Kalaheo’s case, in D2, is it easier to focus more on basketball, volleyball, etc, that requires less players? Since you need less players, is it easier to find enough good ones with your smaller enrollment, or geographic area?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

That's right; Aiea is also green and white. I don't know, but I'd be surprised if there were any correlation between the size of a school and whether that school is good in sports other than football. I suspect it's indeterminate. I mean, Maryknoll is a small school, but they need to recruit only 5 good players to have a decent basketball team. And, let's face it: As a private school, it's easier for Maryknoll to recruit. I mean, how many public schools can recruit basketball players? As they say, it's "just one of those things", right? Kalaheo may be small compared to many other public schools, but they have always been able to field a football team. I really have no idea why Kalaheo seems to always be decent in boys' basketball. Obviously, it's easier to find 5 good players (for a basketball team) than, say, 20 good players (for a football team); that simply comes down to numbers. But, isn't Waialua also a small public school? Then, why don't they always have a decent boys' basketball team? I might know the answer to that one: Demographics. Kalaheo includes KMCAS, and there are often good basketball players among military brats (Blacks and Whites) on base. By contrast, I don't think Waialua includes any military bases, so where would their good basketball players come from? It's all very complicated; again, there are so many different possible variables. I wouldn't say Aiea sucks in boys' basketball, but they're not exactly world-beaters, either. Their boys' basketball teams are usually average; I don't think we can call Aiea a basketball school. Who can explain it?

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:50 pm @ChadFukuoka:

That's right; Aiea is also green and white. I don't know, but I'd be surprised if there were any correlation between the size of a school and whether that school is good in sports other than football. I suspect it's indeterminate. I mean, Maryknoll is a small school, but they need to recruit only 5 good players to have a decent basketball team. And, let's face it: As a private school, it's easier for Maryknoll to recruit. I mean, how many public schools can recruit basketball players? As they say, it's "just one of those things", right? Kalaheo may be small compared to many other public schools, but they have always been able to field a football team. I really have no idea why Kalaheo seems to always be decent in boys' basketball. Obviously, it's easier to find 5 good players (for a basketball team) than, say, 20 good players (for a football team); that simply comes down to numbers. But, isn't Waialua also a small public school? Then, why don't they always have a decent boys' basketball team? I might know the answer to that one: Demographics. Kalaheo includes KMCAS, and there are often good basketball players among military brats (Blacks and Whites) on base. By contrast, I don't think Waialua includes any military bases, so where would their good basketball players come from? It's all very complicated; again, there are so many different possible variables. I wouldn't say Aiea sucks in boys' basketball, but they're not exactly world-beaters, either. Their boys' basketball teams are usually average; I don't think we can call Aiea a basketball school. Who can explain it?
I also wonder if any of those players on those schools are transfers. Maybe geographic exceptions play a role for public schools like Kalaheo? Once they had a reputation for being good at boys basketball, do players want to transfer over to play for them? Are they getting players who are supposed to be at Kailua or Castle to play for them? Or is all of their talent homegrown? This wouldn’t matter for a private school like Maryknoll, but does it matter for a school like Kalaheo?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Good question. I mean, Kalaheo has been good in boys' basketball for, what, over 30 years? I don't know, I kind of doubt that that was all due to recruiting. As I mentioned in a previous post, I suspect that it has something to do with the fact that KMCAS is in their geographic district. I mean, imagine how many good Black and White military brats there are at KMCAS? That's what jumps-out at me right away. I don't know about GEs, either. I think the school closest to Kalaheo geographically is Kailua. While they haven't been as consistently good in boys' basketball as Kalaheo, can you remember a year that they sucked? I can't. I'd say Kailua is usually above-average in boys' basketball; perhaps not always in the Top Ten, but they never suck, right? In fact, the Star-Advertiser currently has them ranked #10, right behind Maui Prep. I.e., I'd be surprised if basketball boys are transferring from Kailua to Kalaheo. In fact, Kailua and Kalaheo are rivals overall. As for Castle, I'd say that Kailua is usually better than them in boys' basketball. I mean, you rarely see Castle in the Top Ten.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Wellp...Iolani School no longer has the top-ranked boys' basketball team in the state. Today's Star-Advertiser poll has St Louis School at #1, followed by the Raiders. I don't exactly like St Louis School, but I'd rather have them than Iolani School.

Also, before Kamehameha soccer fans get too excited, there was a misprint in today's paper. Under girls' soccer, it said Kamehameha 2, Punahou 0. Actually, that was the Punahou 2 team. So, the Warriors might want to start getting concerned that Kamehameha 1 was able to beat Punahou 2 by only 2 goals. I.e., what's gonna happen when Kamehameha 1 plays Punahou 1? Will the latter kick the former's butts?

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

At this early in the BB season, polls are just, polls. I'm surprised that any football player with a decent college offer would opt to play basketball or that the college would allow it.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Also you know I'm a Kahuku fan and look forward to watching Amari Westmorland Vendiola play. Again Kahuku has a team of hustlers. Hope Akana can pull off some surprises. Leonard Ah You and Kaeo Kaio are also ballerz.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@TheNewNORM:

I didn't know you're a Kahuku fan, but I'm glad you're that instead of a St Louis fan. If I had to support one of those two schools, I'd opt for Kahuku in a heartbeat. I'm assuming you knew there's a big write-up on Westmoreland-Vendiola in the Sports section of today's Star-Advertiser? It's huge; it takes-up an entire half of a page. There's also a color photo of him in Kahuku's home uni (red shorts, red jersey). Apparently he's one of the best basketball players in the state. Also, Kahuku is ranked #7 in today's Star-Advertiser poll. As such, yes, it would be a surprise if Kahuku were to win States. But, I'd rather see them win it than St Louis or Iolani, believe me.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

In today's Star-Advertiser boys' basketball poll, Punahou is ranked #3, and Maryknoll is ranked #5. But just a little while ago tonight, Maryknoll beat Punahou, 52-50. Might force an adjustment in next week's poll.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

A month or two ago--might have been on the football thread--someone posted that it's unfair that St Louis gets to compete in D1 in some sports, but in D2 in other sports. I posted my agreement, and mentioned soccer as one sport in which St Louis competed in D2. They're still in D2 for soccer, but apparently in the ILH, D2 schools have to play D1 schools this year. Kamehameha is in D1, but yesterday St Louis still played them, and got their butts kicked, 7-0. I think St Louis will get revenge tonight when they invade Kamehameha's house to play them in basketball. In that sport, both schools are in D1.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I wonder if Damien regrets getting rid of Klaneski and Stephenson, considering the way their FB and BB teams have played this year.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:01 pm A month or two ago--might have been on the football thread--someone posted that it's unfair that St Louis gets to compete in D1 in some sports, but in D2 in other sports. I posted my agreement, and mentioned soccer as one sport in which St Louis competed in D2. They're still in D2 for soccer, but apparently in the ILH, D2 schools have to play D1 schools this year. Kamehameha is in D1, but yesterday St Louis still played them, and got their butts kicked, 7-0. I think St Louis will get revenge tonight when they invade Kamehameha's house to play them in basketball. In that sport, both schools are in D1.
I was the one who posted on this D1/D2 cherry-picking; thanks for the agreement and the update. I'll add that St.L getting routed in soccer by KS isn't proof that they belong in D2. When an athletic machine like St.L dips down into D2 in any sport, it works to the detriment of schools with smaller athletic programs in the OIA, MIL, BIIF, KIF and ILH. And it can shortchange the ILH a D1 state tournament berth that could go to a school like MPI which plays up in soccer and volleyball (e.g., the sports St.L plays down in).