HS Hoops 2021-2022

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

HS Hoops 2021-2022

Post by unpaid »

MaxPreps has come out with their list of the best team in all fifty states plus DC for the upcoming basketball season. Iolani got their vote as the best team in Hawaii. Writers pointed to D-I college prospects Aaron Claytor 6-2 So,and JJ Mandaquit 6-0 FR as one of the primary reasons.MaxPreps loves teams with a lot of college D-I potential. It is certainly one criteria to judge a teams strength.

I don’t follow basketball as closely as I do football,but I am not sure that Punahou,Kamehameha,or Maryknoll might not wind up winning states over the winter.

The last time this years upperclassmen played was in 2019 when they were freshman and sophomores.Claytor and Mandaquit are talented players who will be playing their first full varsity season this year thanks to Covid. Iolani was 0-12 in the ILH in 2019.

I feel like MaxPreps didn’t fully take into account some other factors such as returnees from some other local schools who played on teams with better records than Iolani in 2019.Some of these players are also on club teams and have been staying sharp with their playing skills just like the two Iolani players.

Just a thought.

One other tidbit from the article.It seems you will get to see LeBron James’ son,Bronny James at the Iolani Classic this year. The writer said Sierra Canyon HS ,Chatsworth CA is one of the mainland teams playing.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: HS Hoops 2021-2022

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@unpaid:

It's amazing how radically the basketball fortunes of high schools can change. Iolani didn't even make States the last season. Assuming Iolani makes the D1 State title game, I wonder which school will be their opponent. I.e., I wonder which school is #2 in the Hawaii rankings.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

MaxPreps uses some kind of algorithm to rank teams that needs data input from games played.As a result,they don’t do state rankings until a few weeks after the season starts and they have some stats to feed their ranking algorithm.

MaxPreps has now revealed its best girls team in all 50 plus DC.They picked Iolani as the best for Hawaii.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@unpaid:

OK, the girls are no surprise. They were state champs the last season. But again, I wonder who they'll be playing in the D1 State title game. I.e., I wonder which school has the #2-ranked girls.

gopunahou and other Punahou alumni won't like the news you've shared. Iolani School is their most bitter rival. In fact, gopunahou might even be pissed at the prospect of Iolani taking both crowns. I'm not exactly thrilled about it myself; I dislike Iolani School, too. However, I have to tip my hat to the Iolani girls' volleyball team for waiting respectfully while the Kamehameha girls sang their alma mater after last night's match. (The match was at Kamehameha's gym.) Iolani lost, and that loss ended their season. Iolani's girls showed a lot of class and grace. I mean, I may not like their school, but those girls deserve a ton of credit. I tip my hat to each and every member of Iolani's girls' volleyball team. I hope this message gets to them somehow. They are a credit to their school.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

How has Iolani never expanded their gym yet? Not they gonna have Bronny coming and there already typically was absolutely no room in there for previous Classics. Plus they showing the game on network and that's gonna take up more seats with their cameras

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Room for fans,sadly,won’t be a problem this year.Apparently,Iolani is only allowing two family members per player to attend a game. Fans can not attend any game that their relative is not playing in,so you can see that there is going to be plenty of wide open spaces even in Iolani’s gym this year under their Covid restrictions on fan attendance.

Worse given the fact that enough people are antivaxx, the virus will probably have restrictions on players and fans in place in the 2022-2023 school year too because the spread will still be unchecked within the antivax crowd.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:33 pm How has Iolani never expanded their gym yet? Not they gonna have Bronny coming and there already typically was absolutely no room in there for previous Classics. Plus they showing the game on network and that's gonna take up more seats with their cameras
@Neighbor:

That's true; Iolani's gym is kind of small. But, at least it's air-conditioned. I don't know how many other high schools have A/C, if any.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:14 pm Room for fans,sadly,won’t be a problem this year.Apparently,Iolani is only allowing two family members per player to attend a game. Fans can not attend any game that their relative is not playing in,so you can see that there is going to be plenty of wide open spaces even in Iolani’s gym this year under their Covid restrictions on fan attendance.

Worse given the fact that enough people are antivaxx, the virus will probably have restrictions on players and fans in place in the 2022-2023 school year too because the spread will still be unchecked within the antivax crowd.
@Neighbor:

And now there's the new COVID variant, Omicron, to worry about.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Bad news coming out of the Iolani Classic with Covid knocking local teams out of the tournament.StarAdvertiser reports that Damien has canceled their tournament next week.

Guess we are in the Omicron wave now.At least we were able to get through fall sports relatively unscathed by Covid. Winter sports might be a different story.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:16 am MaxPreps has come out with their list of the best team in all fifty states plus DC for the upcoming basketball season. Iolani got their vote as the best team in Hawaii. Writers pointed to D-I college prospects Aaron Claytor 6-2 So,and JJ Mandaquit 6-0 FR as one of the primary reasons.MaxPreps loves teams with a lot of college D-I potential. It is certainly one criteria to judge a teams strength.

I don’t follow basketball as closely as I do football,but I am not sure that Punahou,Kamehameha,or Maryknoll might not wind up winning states over the winter.

The last time this years upperclassmen played was in 2019 when they were freshman and sophomores.Claytor and Mandaquit are talented players who will be playing their first full varsity season this year thanks to Covid. Iolani was 0-12 in the ILH in 2019.

I feel like MaxPreps didn’t fully take into account some other factors such as returnees from some other local schools who played on teams with better records than Iolani in 2019.Some of these players are also on club teams and have been staying sharp with their playing skills just like the two Iolani players.

Just a thought.

One other tidbit from the article.It seems you will get to see LeBron James’ son,Bronny James at the Iolani Classic this year. The writer said Sierra Canyon HS ,Chatsworth CA is one of the mainland teams playing.
@unpaid: Yes, I think those 3 ILH schools might challenge Iolani. Might also want to consider Leilehua; they were OIA D1 JV champs in 2020, so they'll be seniors on this year's vars.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:36 am Bad news coming out of the Iolani Classic with Covid knocking local teams out of the tournament.StarAdvertiser reports that Damien has canceled their tournament next week.

Guess we are in the Omicron wave now.At least we were able to get through fall sports relatively unscathed by Covid. Winter sports might be a different story.
@unpaid:

Omicron may very likely shut high school sports down. It's already forcing the cancellation of NFL and NBA games.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:13 pm
unpaid wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:16 am MaxPreps has come out with their list of the best team in all fifty states plus DC for the upcoming basketball season. Iolani got their vote as the best team in Hawaii. Writers pointed to D-I college prospects Aaron Claytor 6-2 So,and JJ Mandaquit 6-0 FR as one of the primary reasons.MaxPreps loves teams with a lot of college D-I potential. It is certainly one criteria to judge a teams strength.

Just a thought.

@unpaid: Yes, I think those 3 ILH schools might challenge Iolani. Might also want to consider Leilehua; they were OIA D1 JV champs in 2020, so they'll be seniors on this year's vars.
@unpaid:

Better add St Louis to the schools that might win States. They beat Moanalua 74-34 tonight, and Moanalua is good.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Perhaps St Louis isn't that good, after all. They beat Mililani by only 2 tonight. Mililani isn't that good, right? But then again, St Louis QB Bianco is a good basketball player, so when he joins the team after football, they should be better.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:15 pm Perhaps St Louis isn't that good, after all. They beat Mililani by only 2 tonight. Mililani isn't that good, right? But then again, St Louis QB Bianco is a good basketball player, so when he joins the team after football, they should be better.
Is Bianco even playing BB this year (since he’s a senior)? Timmy Chang was a killer basketball player (who could shoot the rock) but sat out his senior season to avoid injuries after the football season.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou:

From what I understand, Bianco is a good basketball player, so I'm assuming he'll join St Louis' team now that football is over.