2021-2022 Wrestling Season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider

Re: 2021-2022 Wrestling Season

Post by OldManJenkins »

UH used to have wrestling back in the 70's. i am not sure how or why it was disbanded.
Hawaii women's wrestling for HHSAA didn't start till 1998. Clarissa was a state champ that inaugural year as a Junior. Prior to that year the girls had to wrestle and compete with the boys.

Wrestling this year will be interesting to see who shows up (some kids moved away or don't want to) and who will be able to shake the rust off. So far I hear enrollment of new wrestlers is down across the board, some programs don't have a women's program because the girls don't want to wrestle. KSK definitely a front runner. There have been a lot of club wrestlers that have been working out the whole time so there might be a lot of names we never heard of shooting to the top!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@OldManJenkins:

UH had wrestling in the '70s? I went there right after high school in the mid-'70s, and I don't recall their having a wrestling team. Oh, well.

I'm glad to hear Kamehameha Schools is a front-runner, as I like that school. We'll see how it all shakes-out.

Speaking of girls competing with the boys: I don't know how many guys know, but some high schools have girls on their baseball teams. That's right! Someone told me McKinley High had a girl on their JV baseball team; I think this was a few years back. That tripped me out, because you'd figure that girls would just join the softball team, right? Softball is so similar to baseball; it's like the female version of baseball (though of course there are company/senior men's softball leagues). I recall that perhaps five years or so ago, there were high school alumni men's softball teams. I think those alumni teams represented the alumni of a high school, not the high school itself. But, close enough, right? There's still that connection with that particular school. I mean, the team still carries the school name. I guess you could call it representation by default.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:51 am @OldManJenkins:

UH had a wrestling in the '70s? I went there right after high school in the mid-'70s, and I don't recall their having a wrestling team. Oh, well.

I'm glad to hear Kamehameha Schools is a front-runner, as I like that school. We'll see how it all shakes-out.

Speaking of girls competing with the boys: I don't know how many guys know, but some high schools have girls on their baseball teams. That's right! Someone told me McKinley High had a girl on their JV baseball team; I think this was a few years back. That tripped me out, because you'd figure that girls would just join the softball team, right? Softball is so similar to baseball; it's like the female version of baseball (though of course there are company/senior men's softball leagues). I recall that perhaps five years or so ago, there were high school alumni men's softball teams. I think those alumni teams represented the alumni of a high school, not the high school itself. But, close enough, right? There's still that connection with that particular school. I mean, the team still carries the school name. I guess you could call it representation by default.
In my senior year at Aiea, we had a girl on the varsity baseball team. She had played softball her precious 3 years, but was friends with a lot of baseball players, and they jokingly at first asked her to try out for baseball, and it turned out she made the team. I don’t remember how much she played, or if she was a starter or not. I believe she was an infielder.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

UH had a wrestling in the '70s? I went there right after high school in the mid-'70s, and I don't recall their having a wrestling team. Oh, well.

A few years ago, McKinley had a female QB, who threw a touchdown pass. I think against Roosevelt. I also remember when Word of Life was around, they had a female linebacker. So even in football, where there is no girls equivalent of a sport, at least a few of them have played here on Oahu.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:53 pm

In my senior year at Aiea, we had a girl on the varsity baseball team. She had played softball her precious 3 years, but was friends with a lot of baseball players, and they jokingly at first asked her to try out for baseball, and it turned out she made the team. I don’t remember how much she played, or if she was a starter or not. I believe she was an infielder.
@ChadFukuoka:

There was a girl on Aiea's vars? Now that's something. It's still quite rare, though, whether on vars or JV.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:06 pm

A few years ago, McKinley had a female QB, who threw a touchdown pass. I think against Roosevelt. I also remember when Word of Life was around, they had a female linebacker. So even in football, where there is no girls equivalent of a sport, at least a few of them have played here on Oahu.
@ChadFukuoka:

Oh, yeah, I remember that. Her name was Alexandria Buchanan, if I recall correctly. She was McKinley's starting QB. I remember because she was all over the news. About 15 years ago or so, Nanakuli's JV had a female starting QB, too. Some years ago, I think Kailua had two female O-linemen! How about that?! Usually, though, if a girl is on the football team, she's usually a kicker. She's usually also on the soccer team; that's why she's good at kicking the ball. Iolani had a female kicker on their vars football team a few years back; I think she was HC Look's daughter, too.

BowTow

Post by BowTow »

Fewer years ago Moanalua had a girl on the offensive line that was actually a starter. Aiea also had a female lineman but she only played in rubbish time.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@BowTow:

That Moanalua girl was a starter on the O-line? Man, that's nuts. Those two Kailua girls on the O-line weren't starters, I think. Finally, I like how you said that the Aiea female lineman played only in "rubbish time." That's funny! I like that.

FlyingSquirrel808

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

justafan wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:32 am It has to be Kamehameha for the boys and girls right? Champs until proven otherwise
It's hard to say who's still around on every team. I'm sure Kamehameha will still be strong in both boys and girls, but I'm wondering if the departure of coach Rob Hesia to a new position in the school will affect the success of the wrestling program.

In the OIA, I think Mililani has a bunch of tough girls returning, and Moanalua has a pretty strong team again too. On the boys side, I'm not sure there is a clear cut favorite to win the state tournament though. St. Louis had a lot of state placers returning, but I've heard their 195 (state runner up 2 years ago) moved to the mainland, and their 170 (state runner up 2 years ago) got hurt in football. Iolani has some tough lighter weight guys, Punahou has a couple studs too. Kalani has a couple returning state placers, and so does Kapolei I think. Should be a fun season!

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

ILH just pushed back their season back 1 week.
OIA still practicing with no masks, they better start wearing masks cause thats the way it looks like its going, if there is a season. Wrestling with a mask is unimaginable! I can't even go up a few flight of stairs with the mask on.
3,500+ cases
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@OldManJenkins:

It's crazy of the OIA schools to hold wrestling practice without masks. I mean, wrestling is practiced indoors, and if your teammate(s) has/have Omicron, you are toast.

Last school year, the OIA held track events with masks. Can you imagine running track--especially the longer-distance events--with a mask? That's what happened. I mean, wouldn't you agree that it borders on stupid to hold track events when runners have to wear a mask? How ridiculous and unreasonable is that? When you run track, it's hard enough to catch your breath even without a mask.

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

Well I can't see an outdoor sport like track needing masks. The football teams played without masks and they did pretty fine this season.
ILH intermediate wrestling have been wrestling with masks, I feel sorry for those kids. At a certain point a mask must be more detrimental than covid.
Craziness is the basketball teams playing with no mask and there has already been spread at the Iolani Classic.
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@OldManJenkins:

There was a cluster at the Iolani Classic? That sucks. Presumably all or most of the teams were put at risk.

Regarding wrestling, well, wearing a mask might impede your performance, but that's better than catching COVID. I mean, catching COVID isn't as minor as catching a cold.

FlyingSquirrel808

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

https://www.bedrocksportshawaii.com/bal ... wrestlers/

Check out the initial pound for pound rankings. What you guys think? Anybody get snubbed? Anybody should be ranked higher? I can think of a couple returning state placers who didn't make the top 10 on the boys side.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

I know it's hard to observations since there's no spectators, but some results/videos are being posted in https://www.bedrocksportshawaii.com/category/wrestling/ . Anything stand out? The rankings are weird because there's not a lot of chance for real results this year(no Official's, Duals, Maui, any cross-league comp), but who is looking better/worse than expected(teams or individuals)?

Kamehameha Girls look real strong right now, as do Mililani and Lahainaluna. On the boys front, honestly don't know who might be the front runner. Moanalua has Sumiya, Nitahara, and Taam with a few role players. Kamehameha has a lot of young unproven guys that can possibly make noise. Baldwin could be interesting as well for both girls and boys, but just have no idea what their size etc look like. Thoughts?