2021-2022 Wrestling Season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
FlyingSquirrel808
High-quality H20 provider

2021-2022 Wrestling Season

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

We having a wrestling season this year or what? Let's do this!!!

OldManJenkins

Re: 2021-2022 Wrestling Season

Post by OldManJenkins »

ILH Intermediate season is underway! It sure sucks that they have to wear masks to compete, really feel sorry for the kids.
ALl sorts of new uniform rules also...
Super cool they allow some clubs to participate too. Bad part is numbers seem to be really down
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

USA Wrestling,FloWrestling,and the National Wrestling Hall of Fame collaborated on a list of the top25 high school girl wrestlers by weight class for the 2021-2022 school year. Four Hawaii wrestlers made the preseason list in their weight class nationwide. This was released back in September this year.

100-Erin Hikiji ,Mililani SR No.5 in USA
106-Angela Daoang,Punahou SO No.18 in USA.
112-Haley Narahara, Kamehameha SR No.9 in USA.
200-Jacinta Fonoti, Mililani SR No.13 in USA.

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

Clarissa Chun first women's coach of Iowa, the first D1 wrestling program to introduce a women's team! :hello1:
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

OldManJenkins wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:14 am Clarissa Chun first women's coach of Iowa, the first D1 wrestling program to introduce a women's team! :hello1:
@OldManJenkins:

Yes, I remember seeing that in the paper. She's a Roosevelt alumna, I believe. I think she lives in Mililani, so I don't know why she didn't go to Mililani High. I think she graduated from Roosevelt in the late-'90s. Was their girls' wrestling team better than Mililani's back then? I have no idea; that's too far back. There was girls' wrestling already as a league sport back then, right? Again, that's too far back for me to remember, and I didn't follow wrestling that closely, either.

By the way, does UH have a women's wrestling team? I don't follow women's sports that closely on the collegiate level, though I kind of follow UH softball and women's volleyball and sand volleyball. UH is pretty good in the last two sports, but they have to get more hitting for the softball team. This past season, Long Beach kicked UH's butts with their offensive firepower. But then, UH kicked Long Beach's butts in women's water polo this past season.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:29 am
OldManJenkins wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:14 am Clarissa Chun first women's coach of Iowa, the first D1 wrestling program to introduce a women's team! :hello1:
@OldManJenkins:

Yes, I remember seeing that in the paper. She's a Roosevelt alumna, I believe. I think she lives in Mililani, so I don't know why she didn't go to Mililani High. I think she graduated from Roosevelt in the late-'90s. Was their girls' wrestling team better than Mililani's back then? I have no idea; that's too far back. There was girls' wrestling already as a league sport back then, right? Again, that's too far back for me to remember, and I didn't follow wrestling that closely, either.

By the way, does UH have a women's wrestling team? I don't follow women's sports that closely on the collegiate level, though I kind of follow UH softball and women's volleyball and sand volleyball. UH is pretty good in the last two sports, but they have to get more hitting for the softball team. This past season, Long Beach kicked UH's butts with their offensive firepower. But then, UH kicked Long Beach's butts in women's water polo this past season.
Hawaii doesn’t have collegiate wrestling for either men or women. Here’s a list of sports UH offers. Men’s sports include football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, golf, tennis, swimming and diving. Women’s sports include the same as the mens’ list with the exception of football obviously, and the inclusion of water polo, beach volleyball, soccer, cross country, and track and field. Due to Title IX, most schools tend to offer more women’s sports, and more non revenue women’s sports. You’ll often see sports like soccer, water polo, track and field, cross country, volleyball, etc, offered for women but not for men.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't watch women's wrestling, not even on the high school level. But, if the University of Iowa has it, why shouldn't UH have it? I mean, it's not like the University of Iowa is superior to UH in all sports. For example, I'm sure UH could beat Iowa in men's volleyball, perhaps even in women's volleyball.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:24 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't watch women's wrestling, not even on the high school level. But, if the University of Iowa has it, why shouldn't UH have it? I mean, it's not like the University of Iowa is superior to UH in all sports. For example, I'm sure UH could beat Iowa in men's volleyball, perhaps even in women's volleyball.
Wrestling has a storied history in Iowa, and both Iowa and Iowa St have had legendary programs. Wrestling is especially popular in the Midwest, in “Big Ten country”. Just like how a niche sport like lacrosse is popular in the Northeast/New England area. One reason might be the big farm boys that grow up in the Midwestern states. It’s also why you see college football teams like Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, historically Nebraska, playing smash mouth, power running football.

Maybe there’s just a lack of interest here in Hawaii. It’s not part of our culture. Just like how volleyball is big here, but not that popular in most parts of the US, outside of California, and some college towns where the team is really good at it (Penn St women, Nebraska women)

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Guess so. I don't know, though. I mean, when I watched the state high school wrestling championships on TV before the pandemic hit, there seemed to be quite a bit of interest. The championships were held at NBC, and there seemed to be a lot of enthusiasm.
Regarding those big farm boys of the Midwest, well, there are some pretty big boys here in Hawaii, too, especially here on Oahu. Have you seen the O-lines of Kahuku, Farrington, St Louis, Kamehameha, and Kapolei? Now, if we could get those huge O-linemen to play for UH, UH could certainly play smashmouth football, too.

I'm not sure we can say that wrestling "isn't part of our culture." For one thing, I'm sure all 50 states have high school wrestling. Hopefully someday UH can have it, too.

As a UH alumnus, it distresses me that so many high school volleyball girls insist on playing for mainland colleges. I mean, I could understand it if UH's team sucked, but UH is above-average; they're very decent in women's volleyball. I think UH's women's volleyball team is being unfairly snubbed by too many high school senior girls here.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:56 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Guess so. I don't know, though. I mean, when I watched the state high school wrestling championships on TV before the pandemic hit, there seemed to be quite a bit of interest. The championships were held at NBC, and there seemed to be a lot of enthusiasm.
Regarding those big farm boys of the Midwest, well, there are some pretty big boys here in Hawaii, too, especially here on Oahu. Have you seen the O-lines of Kahuku, Farrington, St Louis, Kamehameha, and Kapolei? Now, if we could get those huge O-linemen to play for UH, UH could certainly play smashmouth football, too.

I'm not sure we can say that wrestling "isn't part of our culture." For one thing, I'm sure all 50 states have high school wrestling. Hopefully someday UH can have it, too.

As a UH alumnus, it distresses me that so many high school volleyball girls insist on playing for mainland colleges. I mean, I could understand it if UH's team sucked, but UH is above-average; they're very decent in women's volleyball. I think UH's women's volleyball team is being unfairly snubbed by too many high school senior girls here.
I don’t believe UH has ever sponsored wrestling as a sport. I’m not completely sure on that, but don’t remember it ever being a thing. So college wrestling isn’t a part of our sports culture in Hawaii, like it is in some mainland states.

As for women’s volleyball, I wonder if it’s a matter of Robyn Ah Mow not being able to recruit as highly as Dave Shoji did. Maybe she needs a little more time to find the same clout that Shoji had. I’m completely guessing on this, as I’m not a huge volleyball fan.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Happy Thanksgiving, all. Hope you did/will enjoy a great turkey meal.

@ChadFukuoka:
I'm not so sure that wrestling isn't a thing here in Hawaii. I recall about four years ago, there were some pretty passionate wrestling guys on one of the wrestling threads on this website. I doubt that they're the only ones in the state. It's up to such guys to prod UH to begin wrestling teams.

I don't think we can blame Ah Mow. I think it's about high school volleyball players who seem to have this notion that UH isn't "good enough" for them. Again, I could see it if UH sucked, but that is not the case. UH's women's volleyball team is very decent, very competitive. Kamehameha's Devin Kahahawai is probably the best player in the state, so I guess I could see her opting for University of Texas, which at the time she made her commitment to them, was #1 in the nation. What really annoys me, honestly, are the other quite-talented seniors island-wide who refuse to play for UH, but insist on playing for mainland colleges. As a UH alumnus, quite frankly I find that somewhat offensive. Plus, UH is the home team. Of course, we understand that the girls have the right to play for any college they choose. But to me, Hawaii residents (except those who are alumni of whichever colleges those girls selected) should "disown" them if they snub UH. If those girls turn their backs on UH, I think it's perfectly fair for UH alumni to turn their backs on them. Again, I wouldn't begrudge those girls playing for mainland colleges if UH's volleyball team sucked; then anyone could understand their choice. But UH's team doesn't suck. Far from it.

justafan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by justafan »

It has to be Kamehameha for the boys and girls right? Champs until proven otherwise

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@justafan:

Well, yes, they're defending champs, but that's from two years ago, right? I don't think there was wrestling this past season because of the pandemic. So that means that most of their vars from that championship season has graduated already. I think the better indication would be: Who won the JV two years ago? Those kids would be on this year's vars. Is there a JV for girls' wrestling?

justafan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by justafan »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:18 am @justafan:

Well, yes, they're defending champs, but that's from two years ago, right? I don't think there was wrestling this past season because of the pandemic. So that means that most of their vars from that championship season has graduated already. I think the better indication would be: Who won the JV two years ago? Those kids would be on this year's vars. Is there a JV for girls' wrestling?
True, I guess this will be the most unknown season since mostly all the wrestlers will be unproven. Kamehameha will definitely have the most athletes

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@justafan:

Well, I guess that statistically, Kamehameha might have an advantage. But of course, another school can have fewer, but better, wrestlers. Then that school might beat Kamehameha.