'Iolani football adds three OIA opponents

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Nick Abramo
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

'Iolani football adds three OIA opponents

Post by Nick Abramo »

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 'Iolani football adds three OIA opponents

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@Nick Abramo: I think they'll beat Castle, and they'll probably smash Radford. But, it should be interesting when they play Kailua. I don't really know a whole lot about Kailua this year; they haven't played yet. But, Iolani has been playing for weeks, so they're a known factor. What we know about them is that they have a strong O, and are undefeated. What I know about Kailua is that they almost always have a huge O-line. Seeing as Iolani's O-line is small, it's probably safe to assume that their D-line isn't bigger. So, the interesting match-up, given what limited info I have, is Kailua's O-line against Iolani's D-line. I have to think that that Kailua will try to run the ball down Iolani's throat. I have to think that Kailua's O-line will attempt to make roadkill of Iolani's D-line.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:08 pm @Nick Abramo: I think they'll beat Castle, and they'll probably smash Radford. But, it should be interesting when they play Kailua. I don't really know a whole lot about Kailua this year; they haven't played yet. But, Iolani has been playing for weeks, so they're a known factor. What we know about them is that they have a strong O, and are undefeated. What I know about Kailua is that they almost always have a huge O-line. Seeing as Iolani's O-line is small, it's probably safe to assume that their D-line isn't bigger. So, the interesting match-up, given what limited info I have, is Kailua's O-line against Iolani's D-line. I have to think that that Kailua will try to run the ball down Iolani's throat. I have to think that Kailua's O-line will attempt to make roadkill of Iolani's D-line.
If Kailua has pretty good size, do you see them as a threat to win the OIA D1? Now that Leilehua moved up to Open, the division seems to be wide open. Moanalua is the defending champs, Waipahu often has a solid running game, Kailua seems to have size, Roosevelt is an unknown, having moved up from D2, but winning a lot recently, Castle and Aiea haven’t really been threats recently, but who knows with teams not having played for two years. The ILH Open certainly has been a surprise with Kamehameha leading the pack.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@ChadFukuoka: Well, size isn't everything; you also have to be good. Also, I don't think Waipahu High often has a solid run game; depends. They happened to have Failauga the past several years, but no school has someone that good all the time. Yes, Kailua High is one of those OIA schools that always seem to have size on the O-line, but if that O-line is slow, well, it can be offset by a strong, fast D-line. Looking just at the OIA D1 schools you mentioned, I would have to go with Kailua High, as having a thick O-line always helps. Moanalua High may be defending champs, but how many starters did they lose to graduation over the past two years? Also, Moanalua High doesn't always have size in the trenches; they've had that problem for years.