Is cancellation of sports next?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Is cancellation of sports next?

Post by unpaid »

This postponement of fall sports to late September probably won’t be the end of it.

Vaccines have been out for months,long enough for almost every one of us to get vaccinated. Yet there is a far too sizable number of people who probably are not going to ever get vaccinated and provide a continuing breeding ground for the virus
and it’s continuing new variants. So what’s going to change in the next two months? Not much based on recent vaccination history. Hope I’m wrong.

When late September rolls around I won’t be surprised if the DOE announces another postponement until late in this year or the beginning of 2022.

The weird thing is, schools are in classrooms this year,and some students haven’t been vaccinated. DOE has not cancelled students returning to school. If kids can learn together ,why can’t they play sports together?

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Is cancellation of sports next?

Post by poidog »

unpaid wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:44 am This postponement of fall sports to late September probably won’t be the end of it.

Vaccines have been out for months,long enough for almost every one of us to get vaccinated. Yet there is a far too sizable number of people who probably are not going to ever get vaccinated and provide a continuing breeding ground for the virus
and it’s continuing new variants. So what’s going to change in the next two months? Not much based on recent vaccination history. Hope I’m wrong.

When late September rolls around I won’t be surprised if the DOE announces another postponement until late in this year or the beginning of 2022.

The weird thing is, schools are in classrooms this year,and some students haven’t been vaccinated. DOE has not cancelled students returning to school. If kids can learn together ,why can’t they play sports together?
Couple things...
I think they are waiting to see if this spike comes down like it has in other places that have been hit by the delta variant before us.

In-person classroom learning differs from sports because the students and the desks can be distanced and they have to wear masks.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

The next spike is supposed to come in early September from what I can gather. What is this,maybe the third or fourth spike since this started back in late 2019. I know early on there was no vaccine. By the time the third wave hit there was a vaccine , and almost half of the country doesn’t take it?

As far as I can tell from media there are only three states out of fifty that aren’t seeing rising Covid hospitalizations.Hawaii is not one of the three .

High school sports might get farmed out to club teams.
I don’t think that’s a good idea, but that might be the way it’s headed in Hawaii.

Two hours on a football field is close contact , I agree.
Six or seven hours in a classroom even 3 feet apart still is plenty of time for Covid to spread.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

unpaid wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:29 pm The next spike is supposed to come in early September from what I can gather. What is this,maybe the third or fourth spike since this started back in late 2019. I know early on there was no vaccine. By the time the third wave hit there was a vaccine , and almost half of the country doesn’t take it?

As far as I can tell from media there are only three states out of fifty that aren’t seeing rising Covid hospitalizations.Hawaii is not one of the three .

High school sports might get farmed out to club teams.
I don’t think that’s a good idea, but that might be the way it’s headed in Hawaii.

Two hours on a football field is close contact , I agree.
Six or seven hours in a classroom even 3 feet apart still is plenty of time for Covid to spread.
I would hope by next school year, 2022-2023, that covid will be completely done with. Of course, there’s no way of knowing. But by then, every age group, including infants, should have access to the vaccines, and they will be fully FDA approved, so employers and schools can mandate them, if necessary. Hopefully, as other less developed nations also become more vaccinated, that would cause less variants to arise and spread.

Hopefully next school year should have no restrictions. Full schedules with no cancellations, and no limits on fan attendance.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

ChadFukuoka,

I love your optimism! Deep down, I believe things will get better. We will see.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Hate to pour cold water on everyone's optimism, but: Did you guys hear about today's Oahu COVID count? 420. 420. That is disastrous. I think we are totally screwed. Will Oahu high schools have to shut down again, and soon? It seems the delta variant has Oahu and its high schools circling the drain. Looks like we can kiss high school sports goodbye. Today's count not only broke Oahu's COVID record; it smashed it. At this rate, it seems like Oahu is on fire with COVID. There's something apocalyptic about it. It's absolutely appalling that things have come to this.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

All Hawaii HS football fans can all agree that, regardless of your favorite team, it sucks to have your season cancelled and watch your best players lose a season.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I don't think they will cancel sports after making vaccines mandatory. Sports is one of the best carrots available for getting people to get vaccinated. It you shut down or cancel things, there is zero motivation for the unvax'd to get vax'd. It is critical that they do not cancel any sports or school.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

poidog wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:21 am I don't think they will cancel sports after making vaccines mandatory. Sports is one of the best carrots available for getting people to get vaccinated. It you shut down or cancel things, there is zero motivation for the unvax'd to get vax'd. It is critical that they do not cancel any sports or school.
@poidog: They might not cancel school, but they certainly might cancel sports. They might force the schools to remote learning only.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:49 pm All Hawaii HS football fans can all agree that, regardless of your favorite team, it sucks to have your season cancelled and watch your best players lose a season.
@gopunahou: I think the worst part is that it puts alumni out of touch with their alma mater. For example, you're a Punahou alumnus. If football--if all sports--are shut down, how do you maintain a feeling of connection to Punahou School? It's like you're cut off.