Kale Ane To Coach McKinley!!!!!!!

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Nick Abramo
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Kale Ane To Coach McKinley!!!!!!!

Post by Nick Abramo »

I think Kale Ane is a great guy and I think it's awesome that he's going to be coaching the McKinley football team (see BedrockSportsHawaii.com for the breaking news).

Anyone else have thoughts?

Also, Gary Wirtz is the new football coach at Waialua. That story is also at Bedrock, if you want to toggle over.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Kale Ane To Coach McKinley!!!!!!!

Post by gopunahou »

I'd love to see Coach Ane succeed, but good luck at McKinley!

This reminds me of the Lee brothers coaching at Kalani.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

It's tough for the town side schools to compete with the central and west side schools because of the population shift that's been happening for several years now. I wish coach Ane well. Back in my high school days, Campbell was a rather small country school and is now bursting at the seams, never had a Kapolei, and Mililani was just starting up.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:20 pm I'd love to see Coach Ane succeed, but good luck at McKinley!

@gopunahou: Well, we all know Kalani High has been weak in football for some four decades now. They did have a fairly decent team sometime back in the late-'80s or mid-'90s, if memory serves me well. Cal was an AC there, what, some 10 or 15 years ago? Can't remember exactly. Thing is, he not only attended Kalani High as a student, he was also a very good LB on their football team; I think he made all-star. McKinley High suffered a couple of extremely embarrassing blowouts back in what, 2015 or so? They were murdered by Kahuku High something like 70-something to zero? And they were murdered by Waianae High 90-something to zero? However, it's not like McKinley High was weak for four decades; they had some very decent teams in the mid-'70s and mid-'80s. So, Kale has taken over, but he's not a McKinley alumnus. Not that that necessarily matters, but I think he'll have an easier time lifting that school's FB team up than if he were at Kalani High. I suspect that McKinley High's misfortunes in football have more to do with turnout, really. I.e., I think they've always had fairly decent FB players at that school. Trouble is, they hadn't been turning out. Compare that with Kalani High. I mean, they simply haven't had a whole lot of decent players at that school, right? At least, not in the past four decades.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I think kalani made it to the white division championship game with the Lee brothers on staff. A bunch of decent players followed them there (and a few left when they left).

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

poidog wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:13 am I think kalani made it to the white division championship game with the Lee brothers on staff. A bunch of decent players followed them there (and a few left when they left).
@poidog: OK; that explains the (few) good teams Kalani High had during that era. When were the Lees coaching there? Think it was the mid-2000s or something? And the amazing thing is that both Cal and Ron were only ACs at that school (Greg Taguchi was HC, right?) Kind of amazing to think that kids on the high school level would "migrate" to where the good coaches are. Back in the mid-'70s, when I was in high school, you just played for whichever school you were at.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:40 am
poidog wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:13 am I think kalani made it to the white division championship game with the Lee brothers on staff. A bunch of decent players followed them there (and a few left when they left).
@poidog: OK; that explains the (few) good teams Kalani High had during that era. When were the Lees coaching there? Think it was the mid-2000s or something? And the amazing thing is that both Cal and Ron were only ACs at that school (Greg Taguchi was HC, right?) Kind of amazing to think that kids on the high school level would "migrate" to where the good coaches are. Back in the mid-'70s, when I was in high school, you just played for whichever school you were at.
I think the Lee brothers were there from 2013 - 2015 under Greg Taguchi. I believe the QB was a St. Louis transfer and I personally know of at least a couple other kids who transferred there specifically to play for the Lees.

I used to be very against HS athletes transferring, but now I'm very much for it. High School is so short and if you get stuck in the wrong situation your career will be over before you know it. I played hoops in HS for one of today's very prominent local basketball coaches, but back in the 90's he was just out of college and he was very young and ignorant and not qualified to be a leader of young men. in my senior year we were coming off the two most successful seasons at our school in like 10 years, but he decided that it was a "rebuilding" year and decided it was best to focus on the underclassmen, even though we had a senior returning starter (me). I wasted my senior year coming off the bench, he got fired before the end of the season, and we followed up two straight playoff appearances by going 2-7. It never entered my mind to transfer "down the road" but looking back I totally should have. Even if I didn't start there (and I might have), I would have enjoyed my senior season a lot more and I wouldn't have held that frustration with me as long as I did because I would have felt like I had taken some control of my situation instead of letting the situation control me.

sorry for the rant!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:04 pm
gopunahou wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:20 pm I'd love to see Coach Ane succeed, but good luck at McKinley!

@gopunahou: Well, we all know Kalani High has been week in football for some four decades now. They did have a fairly decent team sometime back in the late-'80s or mid-'90s, if memory serves me well. Cal was an AC there, what, some 10 or 15 years ago? Can't remember exactly. Thing is, he not only attended Kalani High as a student, he was also a very good LB on their football team; I think he made all-star. McKinley High suffered a couple of extremely embarrassing blowouts back in what, 2015 or so? They were murdered by Kahuku High something like 70-something to zero? And they were murdered by Waianae High 90-something to zero? However, it's not like McKinley High was weak for four decades; they had some very decent teams in the mid-'70s and mid-'80s. So, Kale has taken over, but he's not a McKinley alumnus. Not that that necessarily matters, but I think he'll have an easier time lifting that school's FB team up than if he were at Kalani High. I suspect that McKinley High's misfortunes in football have more to do with turnout, really. I.e., I think they've always had fairly decent FB players at that school. Trouble is, they hadn't been turning out. Compare that with Kalani High. I mean, they simply haven't had a whole lot of decent players at that school, right? At least, not in the past four decades.
Do you think one reason for McKinley’s struggles, is that they are near all of the private schools? St Louis and Punahou are probably scouting youth camps and club teams there, looking for young talent. It would be difficult for McKinley to keep all of their good players that are in their district.

The two other schools in that district, Roosevelt and Kaimuki, have mainly been in division 2 (although Roosevelt is moving up to division 1 this year). Or back when there was only one division, were never truly contenders for any type of championship.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

McKinley hasn’t always been abysmally bad. There was one year where they reached the semifinals of the D1 state tournament and another year where they beat KAHUKU!
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

poidog wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:56 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:40 am
I think the Lee brothers were there from 2013 - 2015 under Greg Taguchi. I believe the QB was a St. Louis transfer and I personally know of at least a couple other kids who transferred there specifically to play for the Lees.

I used to be very against HS athletes transferring, but now I'm very much for it. High School is so short and if you get stuck in the wrong situation your career will be over before you know it. I played hoops in HS for one of today's very prominent local basketball coaches, but back in the 90's he was just out of college and he was very young and ignorant and not qualified to be a leader of young men. in my senior year we were coming off the two most successful seasons at our school in like 10 years, but he decided that it was a "rebuilding" year and decided it was best to focus on the underclassmen, even though we had a senior returning starter (me). I wasted my senior year coming off the bench, he got fired before the end of the season, and we followed up two straight playoff appearances by going 2-7. It never entered my mind to transfer "down the road" but looking back I totally should have. Even if I didn't start there (and I might have), I would have enjoyed my senior season a lot more and I wouldn't have held that frustration with me as long as I did because I would have felt like I had taken some control of my situation instead of letting the situation control me.

sorry for the rant!
@poidog: No, I guess you're entitled to rant, given your experience. But, I still kind of take a dim view of chasing good coaches, rather than simply playing at the school you're at. I mean, the grass always seems to be greener on the other side. If a kid really has the size/height/talent to go really far, I suspect college scouts would probably know about it, regardless of which school he plays for. Take that Tolentino kid who plays basketball for Maryknoll School. He's like, what, 7'? Of course, Maryknoll School is known for basketball, and it's been that way since what, the mid-'70s? Now, let's consider a school that isn't known for basketball. How about, say, Nanakuli High? If Tolentino were playing for Nanakuli High, would college scouts not know about him? Some guys think he could play pro someday. If he's that good, any college scout worth his salt should know about him, regardless of which school he's playing for.

Regarding the Lees at Kalani High, I didn't know they were there as recently as 2015; I thought they were there some years before. Also, I guess we shouldn't be surprised if the Lees were to invite players from St Louis School to follow them to Kalani High. But, why would they leave St Louis' football team, which was much better than Kalani's team? Perhaps those transferring players weren't good enough to start at St Louis? I don't know.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:10 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:04 pm

@gopunahou: Well, we all know Kalani High has been week in football for some four decades now. They did have a fairly decent team sometime back in the late-'80s or mid-'90s, if memory serves me well. Cal was an AC there, what, some 10 or 15 years ago? Can't remember exactly. Thing is, he not only attended Kalani High as a student, he was also a very good LB on their football team; I think he made all-star. McKinley High suffered a couple of extremely embarrassing blowouts back in what, 2015 or so? They were murdered by Kahuku High something like 70-something to zero? And they were murdered by Waianae High 90-something to zero? However, it's not like McKinley High was weak for four decades; they had some very decent teams in the mid-'70s and mid-'80s. So, Kale has taken over, but he's not a McKinley alumnus. Not that that necessarily matters, but I think he'll have an easier time lifting that school's FB team up than if he were at Kalani High. I suspect that McKinley High's misfortunes in football have more to do with turnout, really. I.e., I think they've always had fairly decent FB players at that school. Trouble is, they hadn't been turning out. Compare that with Kalani High. I mean, they simply haven't had a whole lot of decent players at that school, right? At least, not in the past four decades.
Do you think one reason for McKinley’s struggles, is that they are near all of the private schools? St Louis and Punahou are probably scouting youth camps and club teams there, looking for young talent. It would be difficult for McKinley to keep all of their good players that are in their district.

The two other schools in that district, Roosevelt and Kaimuki, have mainly been in division 2 (although Roosevelt is moving up to division 1 this year). Or back when there was only one division, were never truly contenders for any type of championship.
@ChadFukuoka: You've made a very good point. Another reason McKinley High has been hampered in football is that St Louis School has been raiding them for players for decades. MWH is in McKinley High's district, and MWH has been a breeding ground for outstanding football talent for decades. If you look at St Louis School's best football players during the past 30 years or so, you'll see that many of them were from MWH. As for Punahou School, I suspect they hadn't been recruiting as zealously as St Louis School has, especially at MWH. In fact, I think it's been only over the past 15 years or so--under Kale Ane--that Punahou School has been recruiting heavily. Ane had been recruiting Polys, especially from Kahuku High. That's why some guys refer to Punahou School as "Kahuku South"; there've been so many players at Punahou School who either transferred from Kahuku High, or were recruited away from Kahuku High just before they were supposed to start high school there (Kahuku High also has an intermediate school; they're officially known as Kahuku High and Intermediate). But, McKinley High has been raided and ripped-off by St Louis School for at least 30 years, and I suppose the Lees led that effort.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:15 pm McKinley hasn’t always been abysmally bad. There was one year where they reached the semifinals of the D1 state tournament and another year where they beat KAHUKU!
@gopunahou: Well, that is true. I think McKinley High made it to the D1 state semifinals in '03. And yes, they beat Kahuku High by a field goal, and I think that was in '02, or sometime around there. I know it was no later than '05.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

My3Cats wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:42 am It's tough for the town side schools to compete with the central and west side schools because of the population shift that's been happening for several years now. I wish coach Ane well. Back in my high school days, Campbell was a rather small country school and is now bursting at the seams, never had a Kapolei, and Mililani was just starting up.
@My3Cats: That's true. Mililani High was established in '73, and Kapolei High was established in '00, I think. Today, I think Campbell High is the largest public high school, enrollment-wise, on Oahu.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:12 pm
My3Cats wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:42 am It's tough for the town side schools to compete with the central and west side schools because of the population shift that's been happening for several years now. I wish coach Ane well. Back in my high school days, Campbell was a rather small country school and is now bursting at the seams, never had a Kapolei, and Mililani was just starting up.
@My3Cats: That's true. Mililani High was established in '73, and Kapolei High was established in '00, I think. Today, I think Campbell High is the largest public high school, enrollment-wise, on Oahu.
Mililani has been very successful in recent years, even winning a state title with McKenzie Milton, Vavae Malepeai, and Kalakaua Timeteo in 2014.

As more and more people continue to move to the west side of the island, avoiding the more expensive downtown Honolulu living costs, I wonder if these schools will see increased football success. Will Campbell or Kapolei break through like Mililani has in terms of being an elite OIA team? From your previous post, it doesn’t seem like private schools are recruiting this part of the island.

It seems like Darren Hernandez has done a pretty good job in getting some of his Kapolei players college scholarships, but they haven’t risen to the top of the league yet. He seems to have a lot of college connections.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:59 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:12 pm
Mililani has been very successful in recent years, even winning a state title with McKenzie Milton, Vavae Malepeai, and Kalakaua Timeteo in 2014.

As more and more people continue to move to the west side of the island, avoiding the more expensive downtown Honolulu living costs, I wonder if these schools will see increased football success. Will Campbell or Kapolei break through like Mililani has in terms of being an elite OIA team? From your previous post, it doesn’t seem like private schools are recruiting this part of the island.

It seems like Darren Hernandez has done a pretty good job in getting some of his Kapolei players college scholarships, but they haven’t risen to the top of the league yet. He seems to have a lot of college connections.
I'd take that any day over seeing another St. Louis dynasty. We need that as much as we need Iolani boys basketball, Kamehameha girls volleyball, and Punahou baseball winning every year. Oh wait...