Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:33 pm @ChadFukuoka:
1. No, I don't really know the difference. For one thing, I didn't play tennis in high school. (Besides, there wasn't soft tennis in the high schools back then.) I think I heard something once about the racket being different? I really don't know.
2. I'd like to think that the strength of a high school bowling team has nothing to do with whether there's a bowling alley nearby, but it stands to reason that that might be true. Hawaii Baptist Academy seems to have been one of the best schools in bowling in the ILH in recent years, and they're not near a bowling alley. (I think their high school campus is in Nuuanu.)
3. Well, I wouldn't call bowling a fad; it's been around for many decades. Having said that, the sport seems to have been dying out--for whatever reason--over the past ten years or so, at least here on Oahu. That's why there are so few bowling alleys here today. That must suck for guys who played bowling in high school; it's like irretrievably losing a part of their life experiences.
Yes, I was in high school in the mid-'70s. And yes, bowling was much more popular then; that's why there were so many bowling alleys back then. As for disco, yes: That was the thing back then, for better or for worse. Some of the disco hits of the time make me cringe when I hear them today.
Like all other sports, playing it from an early age has its advantages. How would someone who grew up far away from a bowling alley take up the sport before the high school level, and learn the fundamentals of it for years? Lots of kids like to do things their friends do, or are easily accessible in their hometown. Every city or town has Little League baseball (and softball). Or some form of football. Or basketball. Or volleyball. Or soccer. But bowling, not so much. Someone from Kahuku for example, could have access to all of the other team sports I mentioned, because they require a gym or field, and their respective sports equipment. They don’t need a facility completely dedicated to that sport, like a bowling alley.

Hawaii Baptist, like St Francis when they were around, has an elite athletic program at the D2 level. It’s also easier for private school parents to drive their child to bowling practices on the weekend, and the school has more resources to have the bowling team bus to the nearest bowling alley on school days.

Maybe one reason for bowling slowly dying out is that there’s no need for an indoor gathering place anymore? People just text and see each other virtually now. Back then, the bowling alley was also a place to congregate and eat at the snack bar, and talk amongst friends, before the cell phone and Internet came along.

I’ve heard class reunions are slowly dying out too. Now, if you wanted to see what your old classmates are up to, there’s social media. You don’t need to physically go back to the campus for a night, to say hi. Especially, since a lot of people have left the island, after going to college, military, or just living somewhere cheaper.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:33 pm @ChadFukuoka:
1. No, I don't really know the difference. For one thing, I didn't play tennis in high school. (Besides, there wasn't soft tennis in the high schools back then.) I think I heard something once about the racket being different? I really don't know.
2. I'd like to think that the strength of a high school bowling team has nothing to do with whether there's a bowling alley nearby, but it stands to reason that that might be true. Hawaii Baptist Academy seems to have been one of the best schools in bowling in the ILH in recent years, and they're not near a bowling alley. (I think their high school campus is in Nuuanu.)
3. Well, I wouldn't call bowling a fad; it's been around for many decades. Having said that, the sport seems to have been dying out--for whatever reason--over the past ten years or so, at least here on Oahu. That's why there are so few bowling alleys here today. That must suck for guys who played bowling in high school; it's like irretrievably losing a part of their life experiences.
Yes, I was in high school in the mid-'70s. And yes, bowling was much more popular then; that's why there were so many bowling alleys back then. As for disco, yes: That was the thing back then, for better or for worse. Some of the disco hits of the time make me cringe when I hear them today.
While disco was way before my time, I was born in 1989, do you happen to remember a MLB game with an anti disco theme? I think it was something like Disco Demolition, the home team blew up a box of disco records, leading to an accidental fire on the field, and a riot by the fans in attendance?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@ChadFukuoka: I'm glad you posted that. When I was in high school in the mid-'70s, most of the students--myself included--didn't detest disco. That was the hit music of the time; many of the Top 40 hits were disco. But, I realize how sucky some of those disco hits seem to me today; time provides tremendous perspective. No, I don't remember that baseball game. However, it certainly doesn't surprise me that they'd blow-up disco records. There's considerable aversion to disco today, but again, disco was hot back in the mid-'70s.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Adding my two cents to the above conversation:
1. Soft tennis uses a different, more flexible racket, and the ball is soft rubber.
2. Bowling alleys are closing out IMHO mainly due to the cost of the land/property. Land owners can get more out of redevelopment, such as condos and multi-level retail.
3. With the bowling alleys closing, the participants had to either squeeze into the existing alleys, or quit playing. And less youth leagues to bolster future participants.
4. Kam Bowl (Mak Bowl) became a Walgreens.
5. Alexander and Baldwin (landowner) wanted to fully replace Pali Lanes but the community still wants a bowling alley. Although the existing bowling alley has already lost it's lease, A&B is rethinking the redevelopment concept.
6. Waialae Bowl was redeveloped into more shopping area for Kahala Mall.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@My3Cats:
1. Yes, I knew the racket was different; didn't know the ball was, too.
2. It's a shame that high school bowling (and bowling in general), should have to die-off due to land speculation. Perhaps high school bowlers and coaches, and older bowlers, need to mount an effort to save private bowling alleys.
3. Otherwise, the only bowling alleys left will be on military bases, eventually.
4. Yes, as a person in his 60s, I remember both Kam Bowl and Waialae Bowl. While I didn't play bowling in high school, I went to Kam Bowl to eat at their snack bar, and I went to Waialae Bowl to play their coin-operated pinball/shooting machines. Waialae Bowl didn't have a snack bar because McDonald's was literally next door; there were glass doors that led from Waialae Bowl directly into McDonald's. The two businesses were separated only by those glass doors; you gained instant access to either business through those doors.
I'd never been to Pali Lanes, however.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

My3Cats wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:41 am Adding my two cents to the above conversation:
1. Soft tennis uses a different, more flexible racket, and the ball is soft rubber.
2. Bowling alleys are closing out IMHO mainly due to the cost of the land/property. Land owners can get more out of redevelopment, such as condos and multi-level retail.
3. With the bowling alleys closing, the participants had to either squeeze into the existing alleys, or quit playing. And less youth leagues to bolster future participants.
5. Alexander and Baldwin (landowner) wanted to fully replace Pali Lanes but the community still wants a bowling alley. Although the existing bowling alley has already lost it's lease, A&B is rethinking the redevelopment concept.
I know Aiea Bowl has tried to reinvigorate themselves with the cosmic bowling/party/club theme, especially at night with their promotional events. So they’re more than just pure bowling. I wonder if they’re financially more successful with this plan.

I think with bowling, it attracts more of the diehards. Most regular bowlers are in organized leagues, while some people do bowl with friends or family for fun, it’s not as common as other sports. I know people who play beach volleyball, frisbee, or basketball casually, but not so much for bowling. Maybe it’s also because bowling isn’t free, the alley charges you per hour or per game Bowles.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:42 pm
My3Cats wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:41 am Adding my two cents to the above conversation:
I know Aiea Bowl has tried to reinvigorate themselves with the cosmic bowling/party/club theme, especially at night with their promotional events. So they’re more than just pure bowling. I wonder if they’re financially more successful with this plan.

I think with bowling, it attracts more of the diehards. Most regular bowlers are in organized leagues, while some people do bowl with friends or family for fun, it’s not as common as other sports. I know people who play beach volleyball, frisbee, or basketball casually, but not so much for bowling. Maybe it’s also because bowling isn’t free, the alley charges you per hour or per game Bowles.
This is true. Also with the seniors passing on, and many seniors choosing not to find a way to the open alleys, this segment of the bowling population is no longer active.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:41 am @ChadFukuoka: I'm glad you posted that. When I was in high school in the mid-'70s, most of the students--myself included--didn't detest disco. That was the hit music of the time; many of the Top 40 hits were disco. But, I realize how sucky some of those disco hits seem to me today; time provides tremendous perspective. No, I don't remember that baseball game. However, it certainly doesn't surprise me that they'd blow-up disco records. There's considerable aversion to disco today, but again, disco was hot back in the mid-'70s.
Pop-punk is much worse than disco. You could be a CREED and NICKELBACK fan and have a better taste than dumbass fans of Blink 182 and bands like them!
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

The ILH football schedule is out. Games begin weekend after next. Kamehameha,Punahou,and St.Louis play each other twice. PAC-Five,Damien,and Iolani play each other twice.All three play St.Louis II and Kamehameha II once. The STL and Kam Second squads play each other twice.

On the face of it,it seems obvious the ILH is going to be league only this year. Their league champions will be crowned in mid- October when the OIA (maybe) will just be starting it’s season. If the OIA goes league only,then the ILH championship teams will go from mid-October until sometime in December before their first state playoff. That’s not good. Although it’s possible that the ILH Open and D-I champs and runner ups (excluding the St.Louis II and Kamehameha II teams) could try to schedule OIA schools in the same division if the public schools have any open dates when their schedule comes out. This season just gets weirder.

Anyways, looks like St.Louis -Bishop Gorman is on this Friday.
Last edited by unpaid on Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:51 pm The ILH football schedule is out. Games begin weekend after next. Kamehameha,Punahou,and St.Louis play each other twice. PAC-Five,Damien,and Iolani play each other twice.All three play St.Louis II and Kamehameha II once. The STL and Kam Second squads play each other twice.

On the face of it,it seems obvious the ILH is going to be league only this year. Their league champions will be crowned in mid- October when the OIA (maybe) will just be starting it’s season. If the OIA goes league only,then the ILH championship teams will go from mid-October until sometime in December before their first state playoff. That’s not good. Although it’s possible that the ILH Open and D-I champs and runner ups (excluding the St.Louis II and Kamehameha II teams) could try to schedule OIA schools in the same division if the public schools have any open dates when their schedule comes out. This season just gets weirder.

One great thing is that kids will play.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:42 pm

@ChadFukuoka: Seeing as this is the "High School Sports" category of this website, I guess I'm looking at bowling strictly as a high school sport. And, for that reason alone, I'd hate to see it die-out. I mean, think of all the high school students down through the decades who were on the boys' or girls' bowling team at their school. I think it would suck for high school bowling to end. You'd think that something could be done, something could be worked out, that would allow high school bowling to continue. If eventually the only bowling alleys left were on military bases, hopefully the military would continue renting its facilities for high school bowling. That would help subsidize the military bowling alleys, but it would also restrict access by members of the military. I mean, if there's a big ole high school match featuring many schools, no one in the military could use the facility during that time, right? But hopefully, some understanding could be reached, some arrangement made.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:57 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:41 am @ChadFukuoka: I'm glad you posted that. When I was in high school in the mid-'70s, most of the students--myself included--didn't detest disco. That was the hit music of the time; many of the Top 40 hits were disco. But, I realize how sucky some of those disco hits seem to me today; time provides tremendous perspective. No, I don't remember that baseball game. However, it certainly doesn't surprise me that they'd blow-up disco records. There's considerable aversion to disco today, but again, disco was hot back in the mid-'70s.
Pop-punk is much worse than disco. You could be a CREED and NICKELBACK fan and have a better taste than dumbass fans of Blink 182 and bands like them!
@gopunahou: Yeah; well, I was never a punk-rock fan. I am aware that some guys don't like punk rock, but I suspect that more guys don't like disco. Not just the music, but the getups. When I think of what guys wore to the disco (platform shoes, bell-bottomed high-waisted hip-hugging polyester pants, and butterfly-collar leisure suits), I almost want to hide. Not to mention the gaudy colors they wore.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:51 pm The ILH football schedule is out. Games begin weekend after next. Kamehameha,Punahou,and St.Louis play each other twice. PAC-Five,Damien,and Iolani play each other twice.All three play St.Louis II and Kamehameha II once. The STL and Kam Second squads play each other twice.

@unpaid:
Some thoughts:

1. I think the ILH is playing with fire. Are the ILH honchos aware of the daily new COVID counts we've had on Oahu recently? If I'm not mistaken, Oahu had about 540 new infections this past Friday and Saturday. I mean, give me a break: How can any high school league authorize play? We're talking about absolutely crazy daily case-counts on Oahu. The OIA must be shaking its head at the ILH. Like, when you play with fire, expect to get burned.
2. Having said the above, I am absolutely impressed that St Louis School and Kamehameha Schools have second-team squads. I mean, that is amazing. It's one thing to have second-team basketball squads; many ILH schools have had them for decades. But to have a second-team football squad? I have to hand it to St Louis School and Kamehameha Schools. The alumni of those two schools should stand amazed.
3. I know Bishop Gorman High is good every year; they're kind of like the St Louis School of Nevada, right? But I for one simply don't care about out-of-state schools. I'm all caught-up in Hawaii football. That's all I need, and it's all I want.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:24 pm
gopunahou wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:57 pm
@gopunahou: Yeah; well, I was never a punk-rock fan. I am aware that some guys don't like punk rock, but I suspect that more guys don't like disco. Not just the music, but the getups. When I think of what guys wore to the disco (platform shoes, bell-bottomed high-waisted hip-hugging polyester pants, and butterfly-collar leisure suits), I almost want to hide. Not to mention the gaudy colors they wore.
Since this thread is already side-tracked, I’ll ask one more question. I like to watch shows like Magnum PI and Hawaii Five-O. Not just the remakes, but the original series as well. Those original episodes show downtown Honolulu and Chinatown completely differently. There are a lot of older clubs and music halls that are no longer around now. Did any of those feature disco? Were actual discos present in Oahu during the 70’s or at the latest early 80’s? Did you ever go to one if they existed?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka: You have no idea how much the original Five-0 series means to me. I mean, guys my age grew-up with the original series. As a guy in his 60s, I don't remember any discos in downtown Honolulu or Chinatown. I think most of the discos were in Waikiki. And, as I recall, there was the Rumours club at the Ala Moana Hotel. So yes, absolutely, there were discos on Oahu, and I think most of them were in Waikiki. I myself never went to any discos, but one of my relatives did.
As I recall, disco music ran from about 1973 to about 1982, roughly speaking. Disco, of course, was a nationwide craze. I recall some of those Waikiki discos/nightclubs continuing to operate until maybe about 1986.
But really, all those guys who went to discos during the mid- to late-'70s, I wonder how many of them are willing to admit as much today? I suspect many of them would be sheepish about it.
Speaking again about the original Five-0 series, the last year of that series was 1980. I recall watching a '78 episode featuring Yvonne Elliman, a Roosevelt High alumna, who had national disco hits of her own. "If I Can't Have You", from '76 or '77, I think, was perhaps her biggest. If I recall correctly, that was her biggest nationwide disco hit. Anyway, that '78 Five-0 episode also featured McGarrett (the Jack Lord McGarrett) at a disco, and he was bobbing his head(!) with a bunch of afro-hairdoed local extras (afro hairdos were popular in the late-'70s, even among non-Blacks) to one of the Bee Gees' biggest disco hits, "Night Fever", which was a hit in '77 or '78. I mean, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. To see Jack Lord as the original Steve McGarrett, bobbing his head with others to the beat of a disco song. I think that must have been a new low for the original Five-0 series.
Oh, I just remembered another of Yvonne Elliman's nationwide disco hits: "Love Me". It was a hit at about the same time as her, "If I Can't Have You"', about '76 or '77. She had yet another nationwide disco hit: "Hello Stranger". However, that was a cover. The original "Hello Stranger" hit was by Barbara Lewis, way back in about '63. (Now I'm really showing my age.) Disco wasn't around in '63; Elliman's version was "disco-ized." By that I mean, a disco beat was added to it.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.