Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by ChadFukuoka »

OldManJenkins wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:07 pm It's amazing that bedrock is the only news outlet with the story.
The common element in all three cancelations- STL weather open or d1ii. LOL
If the common element is St Louis, then it would make sense if both their varsity team and 2nd team both had players with covid. The younger players on the second team still go to the same school, walk around the same school grounds, and probably share the same football field for practice. It’s definitely possible that a player on the second team got a player on the varsity team infected, or vice versa.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Picks this week,

Damien over PAC-5
Iolani over Kamehameha II

St.Louis-Kamehameha canceled. Is St.Louis going to play any games the rest of the football season?

2-0 on picks last week. 4-0 on the year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:54 pm Seeing that Friday’s St Louis-Kamehameha game has been postponed, this will be the second week in a row that St Louis has had a game postponed. Last week it was Punahou.

I wonder if this has to do with their trip to Vegas to play Bishop Gorman. Could some of the Saints players or coaching staff have contracted covid there and created an outbreak within the team?

It seems Punahou and Kamehameha are fine, if they played their season opener a little over a week ago. Damien, Iolani, PAC-5, and Kamehameha 2 have all played as well.
@ChadFukuoka: Well, you never know. Delta may be more rampant in Vegas than on Oahu, but it's pretty bad here, too. So, it might be one of Kamehameha's players. Also, there's a two-week incubation period. And, perhaps a player on the Kamehameha Open team got the virus, while no one on the Kamehameha II team had it. I mean, who knows?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:15 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:54 pm Seeing that Friday’s St Louis-Kamehameha game has been postponed, this will be the second week in a row that St Louis has had a game postponed. Last week it was Punahou.

I wonder if this has to do with their trip to Vegas to play Bishop Gorman. Could some of the Saints players or coaching staff have contracted covid there and created an outbreak within the team?

It seems Punahou and Kamehameha are fine, if they played their season opener a little over a week ago. Damien, Iolani, PAC-5, and Kamehameha 2 have all played as well.
I don't completely trust the newspaper, but commenters there said that it was Punahou that had players who contracted COVID-19.
@gopunahou: Delta is rampant enough on Oahu that any player(s) from any ILH school could have contracted it.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:51 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:15 pm

I don't completely trust the newspaper, but commenters there said that it was Punahou that had players who contracted COVID-19.

If that’s the case, then it means that both Punahou and either St Louis or Kamehameha (or both), have had players with covid. It shows how fast and how transmissible the virus is spreading.

Since the OIA is planning to start football in October, and finish in early December if things go according to plan, I wonder if the ILH will just reschedule these postponed games during that time frame. It would just mean having the ILH playoffs a little later, and having less of a break between the end of that and any potential state tournament.
@ChadFukuoka: The OIA has wisely been standing on the sidelines (pardon the pun) while watching the ILH schools get hit by Delta. If I were the OIA, I would postpone the season past October, or--better yet--cancel the season altogether. Personally, I don't think it's worth the risk. As you said, Delta is extremely transmissible: At least twice as transmissible as the original COVID virus. Delta is serious stuff; high schools can't be messing-around with it. Play with fire, and you get burned.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

OldManJenkins wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:07 pm It's amazing that bedrock is the only news outlet with the story.
@OldManJenkins: You begin to wonder whether the St Louis Open team caught it in Vegas. Unfortunately, what happens in Vegas doesn't always stay in Vegas. I'm pretty sure Delta is more rampant there than it is here.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:21 pm
If the common element is St Louis, then it would make sense if both their varsity team and 2nd team both had players with covid. The younger players on the second team still go to the same school, walk around the same school grounds, and probably share the same football field for practice. It’s definitely possible that a player on the second team got a player on the varsity team infected, or vice versa.
@ChadFukuoka:
And that's the danger of the ILH schools trying to play football when Oahu is on fire with Delta: At each school, the players walk around the campus, sharing classrooms with all the other students. Now we're talking about spreading Delta to everyone in the school. It's even more pernicious with Pac-5: You've got players from a whole bunch of schools--all except Mid-Pac Institute--possibly spreading Delta to students at all of those schools.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:51 am Picks this week,

Damien over PAC-5
Iolani over Kamehameha II

St.Louis-Kamehameha canceled. Is St.Louis going to play any games the rest of the football season?

2-0 on picks last week. 4-0 on the year.
@unpaid: Good question about St Louis School; they must be futless about the situation.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

So probably the biggest football program in the State is having problems controlling the virus. I get it. St.Louis has over a hundred players on campus. Pray alone will not help. Logistically for them with limited on campus space, is a nightmare. Field, locker room,class, cafe, auditoriums etc. Proffesional help team needed. Now throw in the geographical area these boys are from. Waianae, Nanakuli, Kalihi, Hawaii Kai, Kahuku, Kaneohe,Maui, Kauai, etc. Then throw the different races, culture, religion, income bracket....wow. Now send them home for the weekend? All team members could be vac, but we see what happens with crossovers. My biggest fears are the coaches like the Lee's are over 70 and in a very high risk category. Please be safe.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

Here's what a very reliable source told me. STL div2 had a player and coach positive with covid, because of the schools protocols, multiple kids couldn't practice (contact tracing) so they forfeit their game against pac 5. Then Punahou had a few players with covid, they couldn't practice because of schools protocols so they cancelled against STL. Kam had a few OL test positive with covid, they're not practicing because of schools protocols so kam cancelled their game with STL this week. My source works for the ILH and said they will reschedule the cancelled games on a later date.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheNewNORM wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:50 am So probably the biggest football program in the State is having problems controlling the virus. I get it. St.Louis has over a hundred players on campus. Pray alone will not help. Logistically for them with limited on campus space, is a nightmare. Field, locker room,class, cafe, auditoriums etc. Proffesional help team needed. Now throw in the geographical area these boys are from. Waianae, Nanakuli, Kalihi, Hawaii Kai, Kahuku, Kaneohe,Maui, Kauai, etc. Then throw the different races, culture, religion, income bracket....wow. Now send them home for the weekend? All team members could be vac, but we see what happens with crossovers. My biggest fears are the coaches like the Lee's are over 70 and in a very high risk category. Please be safe.
@TheNewNORM: Frankly, I think Delta is screwing all the high schools, private and public. Even without football, Delta is kicking more butts in the public schools by the week. I heard Campbell High has the most infections; I heard they've had over 50 cases and counting, since school began. We're talking about students and staff combined. Delta is stalking every high school on Oahu, looking for butts to kick. Yes, the largest concentrations of Delta are found in west Oahu, but it's also everywhere else on the island. No high school is safe; no town or community is safe. Yes, the Lee brothers at St Louis School are in their 70s; I think Cal turns 75 this year, and Ron is older. Really, the Lees should think about retiring. I mean, there are very few teachers their age at most high schools. Like, how many current high school teachers graduated from high school in '64 or earlier? Very few. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a friend who teaches high school. He said that at his school, there's one teacher who's 72 years old; no other teacher at his school is anywhere near that age. I know the Lees love football, and love coaching the sport. Trouble is, Delta couldn't care less. It's waiting for the opportunity to kick their butts, too.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:26 am Here's what a very reliable source told me. STL div2 had a player and coach positive with covid, because of the schools protocols, multiple kids couldn't practice (contact tracing) so they forfeit their game against pac 5. Then Punahou had a few players with covid, they couldn't practice because of schools protocols so they cancelled against STL. Kam had a few OL test positive with covid, they're not practicing because of schools protocols so kam cancelled their game with STL this week. My source works for the ILH and said they will reschedule the cancelled games on a later date.
@Dog 96707: When will ILH schools see the light? They can't keep playing Whac-A-Mole with Delta; that's one game they can't win. It's time for the ILH to follow the OIA's lead and suspend play. Better--and safer--yet, cancel the season. Yes, that sucks, of course. But, that's the new normal that this friggin' Delta has imposed on us.

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:43 am
Dog 96707 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:26 am Here's what a very reliable source told me. STL div2 had a player and coach positive with covid, because of the schools protocols, multiple kids couldn't practice (contact tracing) so they forfeit their game against pac 5. Then Punahou had a few players with covid, they couldn't practice because of schools protocols so they cancelled against STL. Kam had a few OL test positive with covid, they're not practicing because of schools protocols so kam cancelled their game with STL this week. My source works for the ILH and said they will reschedule the cancelled games on a later date.
@Dog 96707: When will ILH schools see the light? They can't keep playing Whac-A-Mole with Delta; that's one game they can't win. It's time for the ILH to follow the OIA's lead and suspend play. Better--and safer--yet, cancel the season. Yes, that sucks, of course. But, that's the new normal that this friggin' Delta has imposed on us.
Someone (the schools) has got to figure it out. There will be 2 other games happening on friday. In fact kam div 2 is one of the teams playing, so covid hasn't hit that team...maybe only their varsity?? HS football is being played across the country. has the delta hit hawaii harder than the rest of the nation?? Are the other states testing their kids?? It's been almost 2 years and still hawaii can't figure it out. This will drive kids/families to leave for sure...SAD

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

Well teams do their pre-game testing today and tomorrow. We'll see if they are all good to play.

Personally i think it is a good thing that the ILH is trying to give their student athletes an attempt to go back to a new normal. Covid is here to stay , it is not like it is going to disappear and the only way it will get under control is through immunity whether it is through vax or natural. One of the safest places is actually on these fields. Where else can you go that has a 90+% vax rate, has everyone who isn't vax'd tested 2x a week and has testing prior to playing a inter-school game. If that's not enough then where do you feel safe? People who go out and work and come home think they are safer but do the get tested every week, regardless of immunization they maybe carriers and would only get tested if they think they have symptoms. So what are you going to wait for? How much safer can it get? The DOE sucks because they have the means to do the same but they don't have the manpower to perform which is basically saying that they are too lazy to get something done oj ust keep passing the buck around. The various staff (or their unions)say thats not their job and around and around we go.
BTW the world is flat
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:42 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:43 am
Someone (the schools) has got to figure it out. There will be 2 other games happening on friday. In fact kam div 2 is one of the teams playing, so covid hasn't hit that team...maybe only their varsity?? HS football is being played across the country. has the delta hit hawaii harder than the rest of the nation?? Are the other states testing their kids?? It's been almost 2 years and still hawaii can't figure it out. This will drive kids/families to leave for sure...SAD
@Dog 96707: If you ask me, there's really nothing to figure-out. The ILH simply has to shut football down. It's painful, it sucks, but it's the right thing to do, I think. I mean, why can't the ILH take its cue from the OIA? Yes, high school football is being played around the country. But to me, if the other 49 states want to have the temerity to tell Delta to kiss their butts, well, that's their choice, and their problem. No, I don't think Delta has hit Hawaii more than it has the other states, but, how hard does it have to hit us? And, if players want to move to other states, well, happy trails to them. If and when this darned pandemic lifts, Hawaii will still have high school football; Hawaii will still have players. No one is irreplaceable.