Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by OldManJenkins »

unpaid wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:07 pm Picks,

St.Louis over Punahou
Iolani over PAC-5
Damien over St.Louis II

2-0 last week.6-0 on the year.

Just waiting on the weekly cancellations to be announced tomorrow or Thursday.
Will the pun/stl game be streaming or televised?
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

GO SAINTS! (Sorry, gopunahou. Thanks for being a good sport!)

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

OldManJenkins wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:35 am

St.Louis over Punahou
Iolani over PAC-5
Damien over St.Louis II

It might be on the radio. Gotta check the Punahou website if they are televising it.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I hope our game with St. Louis goes as well as the last time they played a varsity game on our field. We won, 21-7, in 1993. That's also the year FOUR teams tied for first in the ILH (Iolani was one of them). Although it's wishful thinking to hope that we'll win, I doubt that this game will be worse than our worst loss at our field (a 26-7 loss to Iolani the year before).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou: Well, a win is a win, and a loss is a loss. I mean, obviously, a school doesn't want to get blown-out, but blowouts eventually blow over (pardon the pun). 1993 is a long time ago; if a win occurred more than three years ago, it can't make a difference, right? That's because if it happened that long ago--even just four years ago--all the players on that team are gone. This year, St Louis' strength is O; specifically, the O-line. They're a little slow, but is Punahou's D-line quick enough to take advantage? Bishop Gorman's D-line was, but what about Punahou's D-line? Mainland schools seem to always have more team speed than Hawaii schools. To make matters worse, Punahou allowed Kamehameha to score 35 points a few weeks back. Kamehameha's O has kind of sucked for the past five years, though they might have a pretty good back/receiver this year. If Kamehameha scored 35 points, and St Louis' strength is O, Punahou's D has its work cut-out for it. Doesn't seem that Punahou's offense can match St Louis' offense TD for TD.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:36 pm
OldManJenkins wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:35 am

St.Louis over Punahou
Iolani over PAC-5
Damien over St.Louis II

It might be on the radio. Gotta check the Punahou website if they are televising it.
The OC-16 website shows Damien-St Louis 2, and Iolani-PAC-5 being televised tomorrow. Both games are at Aloha Stadium.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Iolani-PAC-5 is also on KKEA radio. As of Friday morning the Punahou site shows that the only football webcast this weekend is the Punahou-Damien intermediate game.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@unpaid: I think it's kind of crazy that there's no JV, but there's Intermediate. I'd rather see them cut Intermediate, and reinstate JV. Instead, there's this fiction of Kamehameha II and St Louis II, which in fact are JV teams. Those are two JV teams masquerading as vars teams. What happened to the days when the ILH had Intermediate, JV, and vars?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

My guess is that Punahou not fielding a team really killed off JV. What’s the use of having two schools play each other’s JV team three times and call it a season? For St.Louis and Kamehameha to continue fielding JV teams that are credible in terms of a decent schedule, the ILH is going to have to work out a schedule against OIA Open JV teams if possible. Otherwise,if you want to play football at St.Louis or Kamehameha,you should take into account that your freshman and sophomore years might be spent playing a measly five game schedule ,three of which would be against varsity teams from Iolani,Damien,and PAC-5.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:16 am @unpaid: I think it's kind of crazy that there's no JV, but there's Intermediate. I'd rather see them cut Intermediate, and reinstate JV. Instead, there's this fiction of Kamehameha II and St Louis II, which in fact are JV teams. Those are two JV teams masquerading as vars teams. What happened to the days when the ILH had Intermediate, JV, and vars?
You’d think if a school can field an intermediate team, they would also have enough players for JV. I’m guessing some of the intermediate players who were good, moved up to Varsity in their freshman or sophomore years. Leaving less than the amount of players required to field a JV team.

I’m not completely sure, but I believe St Louis’ JV team wasn’t very good in the past few years, despite their varsity team dominating, because a lot of the intermediate players went straight to varsity. So maybe there’s more of a pipeline from intermediate to varsity if you’re talented.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:40 am My guess is that Punahou not fielding a team really killed off JV. What’s the use of having two schools play each other’s JV team three times and call it a season? For St.Louis and Kamehameha to continue fielding JV teams that are credible in terms of a decent schedule, the ILH is going to have to work out a schedule against OIA Open JV teams if possible. Otherwise,if you want to play football at St.Louis or Kamehameha,you should take into account that your freshman and sophomore years might be spent playing a measly five game schedule ,three of which would be against varsity teams from Iolani,Damien,and PAC-5.
@unpaid: Yes; I recall Punahou School not having a JV for the first time, several years ago. I was shocked. I mean, Punahou School is Open; it's a football powerhouse. How can a football powerhouse not have a JV? There are weaker OIA schools that have a JV. We can say that Punahou School is one of the "Big Three" in the ILH, the other two being St Louis School and Kamehameha Schools. I could imagine those latter two schools wagging their fingers at Punahou School and saying, "Tsk, tsk. No JV?! Shame on you! What's up with that? We have JV!" Of course, those JV teams are now St Louis II and Kamehameha II, masquerading as vars.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:08 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:16 am @unpaid: I think it's kind of crazy that there's no JV, but there's Intermediate. I'd rather see them cut Intermediate, and reinstate JV. Instead, there's this fiction of Kamehameha II and St Louis II, which in fact are JV teams. Those are two JV teams masquerading as vars teams. What happened to the days when the ILH had Intermediate, JV, and vars?
You’d think if a school can field an intermediate team, they would also have enough players for JV. I’m guessing some of the intermediate players who were good, moved up to Varsity in their freshman or sophomore years. Leaving less than the amount of players required to field a JV team.

I’m not completely sure, but I believe St Louis’ JV team wasn’t very good in the past few years, despite their varsity team dominating, because a lot of the intermediate players went straight to varsity. So maybe there’s more of a pipeline from intermediate to varsity if you’re talented.
@ChadFukuoka:

I think Punahou School was the first major ILH football power to not field a JV. Yet, they had Intermediate. Perhaps they didn't have many Sophs, but enough Frosh and 8th-graders? I don't know.

I doubt that St Louis School's JV sucked. I can't remember the last time their JV sucked.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:24 am
ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:08 am

@ChadFukuoka:

I think Punahou School was the first major ILH football power to not field a JV. Yet, they had Intermediate. Perhaps they didn't have many Sophs, but enough Frosh and 8th-graders? I don't know.

I doubt that St Louis School's JV sucked. I can't remember the last time their JV sucked.
I just checked St Louis’ JV records. You’re right, I must have confused them for someone else. I believe the St Louis 2 QB is the brother of the Punahou starting QB? Same last name, so I’d assume they’re related? I wonder what caused them to end up at different, rival schools.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka: Well, it's happened several times before, particularly between St Louis School and Kamehameha Schools. Those two schools are rivals, too.
But, I'd have to imagine that Punahou School might be embarrassed about not being able to field a JV team, not only several years ago, but this year as well. If they did have a JV team, it would have been called Punahou II, just as St Louis' and Kamehameha's JV teams are called St Louis II and Kamehameha II, respectively. For the past ten years, Punahou School has been second to St Louis School in vars football. In the same way, in the OIA, I think we could agree that Mililani High has been second to Kahuku High, perhaps not for ten years, but certainly for the past several years. Well, imagine Mililani High not fielding a JV team; preposterous, right? Well, when you think about it, it's just as preposterous that Punahou School isn't fielding a JV (or, Punahou II) team. How does a major, Open school, not have a JV team? I don't know why Punahou School has no JV, but I'd sure like to know. I mean, even weaker D1 OIA schools have JV teams, right?

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

According to the OC 16 sports website, the St Louis-Punahou game will be televised on OC16 at 3 pm tomorrow. I hope the listing is correct.