Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:23 pm @gopunahou:

I suspect St Louis School started its ascent in football under Cal Lee. I think Cal's first year as HC at the school was '82. It was disastrous; I think they may have finished last in the ILH. (Yes, even behind Damien School, which had been the weakest school in the ILH for years.) I suspect that Cal engineered a turnaround in St Louis School's fortunes by recruiting heavily from MWH. I'm not so sure that he was trying to lure players from Pac-5, although some probably did start enrolling at St Louis as St Louis started becoming dominant in the ILH.

Regarding basketball, yeah, University High was really tough in the late-'70s and early-'80s. I had mentioned Leroy Lutu being one of the best players in the state his senior year (Class of '81). Of course, University High (now University Lab) is still playing basketball in the ILH, in D2. As for Maryknoll School, they were a basketball powerhouse before the '80s; they were tough in the mid-'70s. They played in the '76 state title game against Kamehameha Schools, with Kamehameha winning. Interestingly, those same two schools played for the D1 state title just two years ago, with Maryknoll winning. Quite frankly, I think the only reason Maryknoll won was that Kamehameha's Christmas Togiai suffered an injury in the semifinal win against Kahuku High late in the game, which had been played the night before. The injury prevented him from playing in the title game. During the regular season, with Togiai healthy, Kamehameha defeated Maryknoll by a comfortable margin, about 9 points. That, despite that Tolentino kid playing for Maryknoll, who stood at 7'. Some guys thought he was good enough to play pro someday, and he was only an underclassman. Unfortunately for Maryknoll School, I think he transferred to a mainland school, so he won't be playing for Maryknoll during the upcoming season. If there's an upcoming season.
I don't think SLS was that big of a team until the mid-80s. They were also ahead of the curve with their run-and-shoot offense. Other teams were pretty much running the ball.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@gopunahou: Well, they were ILH champs in '81. Then the very next year, they fell to last in the ILH. As for the run-and-shoot, Ron Lee brought it over to St Louis School from Kaiser High after stepping-down as Kaiser HC.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:26 pm @gopunahou: Well, they were ILH champs in '81. Then the very next year, they fell to last in the ILH. As for the run-and-shoot, Ron Lee brought it over to St Louis School from Kaiser High after stepping-down as Kaiser HC.
That’s something you rarely see in sports, at the high school level. A team going from first to worst in the following season.

It might happen in professional sports leagues, where a team has a “fire sale” of players, especially in a sport like baseball.

I’m guessing after PAC-5 won their prep bowls, they had a similar decline?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka: No, Pac-5's declines weren't that bad. The years following their '80s ILH championships were '83 and '86. I don't think they were last either year; I think Damien School was last both years; not sure. In the case of St Louis School going from best to worst in a year, it may have been that most/all of their starters from the '81 championship team were seniors. Or, it could have been the coaching, though we know Cal Lee doesn't suck as a coach. I think the '81 St Louis HC was Ron Marciel. By the way, St Louis School lost the '81 Prep Bowl, to Radford High.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:54 pm @ChadFukuoka: No, Pac-5's declines weren't that bad. The years following their '80s ILH championships were '83 and '86. I don't think they were last either year; I think Damien School was last both years; not sure. In the case of St Louis School going from best to worst in a year, it may have been that most/all of their starters from the '81 championship team were seniors. Or, it could have been the coaching, though we know Cal Lee doesn't suck as a coach. I think the '81 St Louis HC was Ron Marciel. By the way, St Louis School lost the '81 Prep Bowl, to Radford High.
I’m assuming in that 81’ season, St Louis also lost to Damien? If so, that’s almost unimaginable, considering how dominant St Louis became since then.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:08 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:54 pm @ChadFukuoka: No, Pac-5's declines weren't that bad. The years following their '80s ILH championships were '83 and '86. I don't think they were last either year; I think Damien School was last both years; not sure. In the case of St Louis School going from best to worst in a year, it may have been that most/all of their starters from the '81 championship team were seniors. Or, it could have been the coaching, though we know Cal Lee doesn't suck as a coach. I think the '81 St Louis HC was Ron Marciel. By the way, St Louis School lost the '81 Prep Bowl, to Radford High.
I’m assuming in that 81’ season, St Louis also lost to Damien? If so, that’s almost unimaginable, considering how dominant St Louis became since then.
In 1982, they lost to Damien TWICE. Damien also swept us one year we finished second in 1990.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka: No, I'm pretty sure they didn't lose to Damien that year; that's the year they (St Louis) was ILH champs. It was the following year, the '82 season, that they lost to Damien. In fact, if I recall correctly, I was at that game. The game was played at Kaiser High stadium, of all places.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:23 am
In 1982, they lost to Damien TWICE. Damien also swept us one year we finished second in 1990.
@gopunahou: Yes, I'm pretty sure you're right; each ILH school played the other schools twice. I was at one of those two games that St Louis lost to Damien; can't remember which one. It was played at Kaiser High stadium.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Seeing that Friday’s St Louis-Kamehameha game has been postponed, this will be the second week in a row that St Louis has had a game postponed. Last week it was Punahou.

I wonder if this has to do with their trip to Vegas to play Bishop Gorman. Could some of the Saints players or coaching staff have contracted covid there and created an outbreak within the team?

It seems Punahou and Kamehameha are fine, if they played their season opener a little over a week ago. Damien, Iolani, PAC-5, and Kamehameha 2 have all played as well.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:54 pm Seeing that Friday’s St Louis-Kamehameha game has been postponed, this will be the second week in a row that St Louis has had a game postponed. Last week it was Punahou.

I wonder if this has to do with their trip to Vegas to play Bishop Gorman. Could some of the Saints players or coaching staff have contracted covid there and created an outbreak within the team?

It seems Punahou and Kamehameha are fine, if they played their season opener a little over a week ago. Damien, Iolani, PAC-5, and Kamehameha 2 have all played as well.
I don't completely trust the newspaper, but commenters there said that it was Punahou that had players who contracted COVID-19.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:15 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:54 pm Seeing that Friday’s St Louis-Kamehameha game has been postponed, this will be the second week in a row that St Louis has had a game postponed. Last week it was Punahou.

I don't completely trust the newspaper, but commenters there said that it was Punahou that had players who contracted COVID-19.

If that’s the case, then it means that both Punahou and either St Louis or Kamehameha (or both), have had players with covid. It shows how fast and how transmissible the virus is spreading.

Since the OIA is planning to start football in October, and finish in early December if things go according to plan, I wonder if the ILH will just reschedule these postponed games during that time frame. It would just mean having the ILH playoffs a little later, and having less of a break between the end of that and any potential state tournament.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Huh? Which news outlet?

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Huh? Which news outlet?

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

TheNewNORM wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:08 pm

Huh? Which news outlet?
The thread in this forum right below this one has a column on it by Nick Abramo. It says the St Louis-Kamehameha game has been postponed. Glancing through the article, it mentions officials from both schools confirming the postponement. I assume a player or coaching staff member on one of those teams (or possibly both) has contracted covid.

Here’s the article.

https://www.bedrocksportshawaii.com/ano ... amehameha/

OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by OldManJenkins »

It's amazing that bedrock is the only news outlet with the story.
The common element in all three cancelations- STL weather open or d1ii. LOL
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older