Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:47 pm @unpaid:

Well, the mystery of why Kalaheo High was established, deepens. Be that as it may, that school has had its glory days in various sports, especially boys' basketball, of course. I mean, they kicked butt in the mid-'90s, playing basketball with the best of them, including schools that are D1 in basketball today. Even now, Kalaheo High is still fielding respectable boys' basketball teams. But, here's a request to anyone else "out there" cruising this thread: Can you tell us why Kalaheo High was established? Wasn't there a study done that found the school necessary in terms of population?' As far as I know, that's the only reason the state will build a new high school.

I recall that you once posted that you graduated from Radford High in the late-'60s? Man, that was a long time ago; I'm glad you're here, because there are times when I feel ridiculous about posting on a site that's about high school sports, and I graduated in the mid-'70s. I mean, if you're here, I'm OK to be here too, right? Thanks.

Anyway, I didn't know that there was a football rivalry between Radford High and Waianae High in the late-'60s; thanks for sharing that with us. Yeah, Moanalua High was established in '72. Heck, you were already out of Radford High for three years. But again, it's my understanding that Moanalua High is now Radford High's most "bitter" rival overall, not just in football. And you're right, the three-tier system of high school football in Hawaii complicates matters. After all, while Radford High is in D2, Moanalua High is in D1. So, the two "rival" schools don't even meet in what is the biggest high school sport. But, the two schools can voluntarily agree to play each other, right? Doesn't the OIA allow that, or not?
I believe Radford and Leilehua also had a rivalry, back when those two teams were at the top of the OIA, along with Waianae. Two legendary coaches, John Velasco and Hugh Yoshida, both with their stadiums named after them. Also, the “Army-Navy” aspect to it, as Leilehua is by Schofield Barracks, and Radford by Pearl Harbor.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:31 pm @gopunahou:

I have this bad feeling that St Louis will win. (I like Kamehameha Schools). I'm still convinced that St Louis' pass game is simply too strong. unpaid made some reassuring comments that St Louis' O-line is slow, and Kamehameha's D-line is quick. But, I still have a bad feeling. I'd feel better if Kamehameha's pass game were a little better. I mean, their pass game is OK, I guess, but it's not good enough to make me feel confident. As good as Kamehameha's run game is, I just don't think it's enough to beat St Louis again. The key, I think, is that Kamehameha's pass game HAS to get better.
I don’t think St. Louis will be as unlucky as they were to fail to convert as many 4th downs as they did in the 1st matchup.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:42 pmWhen I attended, Aiea’s two rivals were Pearl City and Radford. Radford’s rivals were Aiea and Moanalua. Pearl City’s rivals were Waipahu and Aiea. I believe Radford considered Moanalua to be their bigger rival than Aiea. I also felt, as least based on the athletes that were there when I attended, that Pearl City was the bigger rival than Radford. I can’t speak for Pearl City, whether they considered Aiea or Waipahu to be the bigger of their rivals.
As far as Pearl City goes, this is about right, at least in the mid-to-late 80s and early 90s. Who was the bigger rival between Aiea and Waipahu depended on which sport was being played. Track & field was my primary sport and Waipahu was always the bigger rival simply because they were better at it than Aiea was during that time. Generally, I'd say from my experiences and observations, the rivalry with Waipahu was more of a straight-up competitive one, whereas the rivalry with Aiea was more of a bad-blood, fight-in-the-parking lot-afterwards type, especially between the baseball teams.

I'd also throw in Mililani as being somewhat of a Pearl City rival back then. They were good in many of the same sports we were good at.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

bandits1 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:20 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:42 pmWhen I attended, Aiea’s two rivals were Pearl City and Radford. Radford’s rivals were Aiea and Moanalua. Pearl City’s rivals were Waipahu and Aiea. I believe Radford considered Moanalua to be their bigger rival than Aiea. I also felt, as least based on the athletes that were there when I attended, that Pearl City was the bigger rival than Radford. I can’t speak for Pearl City, whether they considered Aiea or Waipahu to be the bigger of their rivals.
As far as Pearl City goes, this is about right, at least in the mid-to-late 80s and early 90s. Who was the bigger rival between Aiea and Waipahu depended on which sport was being played. Track & field was my primary sport and Waipahu was always the bigger rival simply because they were better at it than Aiea was during that time. Generally, I'd say from my experiences and observations, the rivalry with Waipahu was more of a straight-up competitive one, whereas the rivalry with Aiea was more of a bad-blood, fight-in-the-parking lot-afterwards type, especially between the baseball teams.

I'd also throw in Mililani as being somewhat of a Pearl City rival back then. They were good in many of the same sports we were good at.
I’d say baseball was the biggest rivalry between Pearl City and Aiea, since both teams were among the best in the OIA. I know Pearl City has been good in girls soccer for a while, and I believe they have also had success in judo, bowling, swimming, and maybe wrestling? I’m not sure what other sports they excelled at while you attended?

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:39 pm I’d say baseball was the biggest rivalry between Pearl City and Aiea, since both teams were among the best in the OIA. I know Pearl City has been good in girls soccer for a while, and I believe they have also had success in judo, bowling, swimming, and maybe wrestling? I’m not sure what other sports they excelled at while you attended?
Yup, baseball was pretty heated. Soccer, yeah Aiea I guess, but more Mililani I think, especially girls soccer(to this day). And yeah, Pearl City was good in all those sports, and to a greater or lesser extent still are. And in the 80s and I think most of the 90s, we were very good at volleyball and competitive in basketball. I think we've always been just alright in football, at least while we were still in the top division.

Too bad there wasn't a state tournament for judo in the 80s, I think we could've won some state titles.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:12 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:47 pm @unpaid:

Well, the mystery of why Kalaheo High was established, deepens. Be that as it may, that school has had its glory days in various sports, especially boys' basketball, of course. I mean, they kicked butt in the mid-'90s, playing basketball with the best of them, including schools that are D1 in basketball today. Even now, Kalaheo High is still fielding respectable boys' basketball teams. But, here's a request to anyone else "out there" cruising this thread: Can you tell us why Kalaheo High was established? Wasn't there a study done that found the school necessary in terms of population?' As far as I know, that's the only reason the state will build a new high school.

I recall that you once posted that you graduated from Radford High in the late-'60s? Man, that was a long time ago; I'm glad you're here, because there are times when I feel ridiculous about posting on a site that's about high school sports, and I graduated in the mid-'70s. I mean, if you're here, I'm OK to be here too, right? Thanks.

Anyway, I didn't know that there was a football rivalry between Radford High and Waianae High in the late-'60s; thanks for sharing that with us. Yeah, Moanalua High was established in '72. Heck, you were already out of Radford High for three years. But again, it's my understanding that Moanalua High is now Radford High's most "bitter" rival overall, not just in football. And you're right, the three-tier system of high school football in Hawaii complicates matters. After all, while Radford High is in D2, Moanalua High is in D1. So, the two "rival" schools don't even meet in what is the biggest high school sport. But, the two schools can voluntarily agree to play each other, right? Doesn't the OIA allow that, or not?
I believe Radford and Leilehua also had a rivalry, back when those two teams were at the top of the OIA, along with Waianae. Two legendary coaches, John Velasco and Hugh Yoshida, both with their stadiums named after them. Also, the “Army-Navy” aspect to it, as Leilehua is by Schofield Barracks, and Radford by Pearl Harbor.
@Chad Fukuoka:

Yeah, I would agree that Radford and Leilehua had a football rivalry. And indeed, both Velasco and Yoshida were legends, especially Yoshida. If I recall correctly, Velasco passed-away just before Radford played St Louis for the Prep Bowl title in '81. Radford won, and some guys thought Velasco's spirit "influenced" the game. Yoshida went on to become AD at UH. I don't know about the Army vs Navy aspect; I don't recall it looming large at all, "back in the day". After all, Radford and Leilehua are public schools, not military academies. Yes, the Pearl Harbor navy brats went to Radford High, while the Schofield army brats went to Leilehua High. But, each school had more local kids, so I don't recall any notable element of "interservice rivalry" between the two schools.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:53 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:31 pm @gopunahou:

I have this bad feeling that St Louis will win. (I like Kamehameha Schools). I'm still convinced that St Louis' pass game is simply too strong. unpaid made some reassuring comments that St Louis' O-line is slow, and Kamehameha's D-line is quick. But, I still have a bad feeling. I'd feel better if Kamehameha's pass game were a little better. I mean, their pass game is OK, I guess, but it's not good enough to make me feel confident. As good as Kamehameha's run game is, I just don't think it's enough to beat St Louis again. The key, I think, is that Kamehameha's pass game HAS to get better.
I don’t think St. Louis will be as unlucky as they were to fail to convert as many 4th downs as they did in the 1st matchup.
@gopunahou: Yes; that's another thing. They might not even get into as many "have-to-go-for-it" 4th-down situations as they did the last time. What bothers me is that St Louis QB Bianco has been getting better and better each game, and that that's going to cost Kamehameha. I think the only thing Kamehameha can do about that is for their defensive front-seven do an even better job against him than they did the last time. Will an improved Bianco be counterbalanced by an improved Kamehameha front-seven? That front-seven will have to find a way to get into Bianco's head.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@bandits1:

Yes, I remember that both Pearl City High and Aiea High seemed to have good baseball teams almost every year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:23 am
ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:39 pm I’d say baseball was the biggest rivalry between Pearl City and Aiea, since both teams were among the best in the OIA. I know Pearl City has been good in girls soccer for a while, and I believe they have also had success in judo, bowling, swimming, and maybe wrestling? I’m not sure what other sports they excelled at while you attended?
Yup, baseball was pretty heated. Soccer, yeah Aiea I guess, but more Mililani I think, especially girls soccer(to this day). And yeah, Pearl City was good in all those sports, and to a greater or lesser extent still are. And in the 80s and I think most of the 90s, we were very good at volleyball and competitive in basketball. I think we've always been just alright in football, at least while we were still in the top division.

Too bad there wasn't a state tournament for judo in the 80s, I think we could've won some state titles.
@bandits1: Pearl City High was already kicking butt in judo in the mid-'70s.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:39 pm

I’d say baseball was the biggest rivalry between Pearl City and Aiea, since both teams were among the best in the OIA. I know Pearl City has been good in girls soccer for a while, and I believe they have also had success in judo, bowling, swimming, and maybe wrestling? I’m not sure what other sports they excelled at while you attended?
@ChadFukuoka:

When I think about Aiea High and baseball, right away I think of Derek Tatsuno, Aiea '76. Like me, he graduated from high school in the mid-'70s and then attended UH. He became one of the greatest pitchers in UH history. In '80, he helped take UH to the College World Series, and they made it all the way to the title game, but fell to Arizona. He would have kicked butt in MLB, but he elected to play pro in Japan. Unfortunately, his pitching coach there made him throw sidearm, which permanently screwed-up his arm. What a waste. If Aiea High creates a sports hall of fame, there should be a huge photo of Tatsuno hanging there. It was amazing to watch him pitch when he was at UH; he was almost untouchable.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

If you were hoping to watch the SLS-KSK game tonight, I've got some bad news: it ain't on OC16. OC16 is showing OIA games.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou: I'm glad it isn't. I'd prefer that Kamehameha win, but I have a bad feeling that they'll lose. Even if it were on OC16, I wouldn't be able to bring myself to watch, anyway. I have a feeling of dread about the game; don't want to see it unfold. Don't want to feel the anguish. Life is stressful enough.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

St. Louis 31, Kamehameha 20 halftime

Kamehameha is playing neck and neck with St. Louis, with Bartley looking like Saquon Barkley. He's got 113 yards already. But St. Louis's offense came to play. Can Kamehameha's offense keep up? And can Bartley keep looking like Saquon?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Kamehameha is slowing St. Louis's offense in the 3rd quarter. Just one problem: they haven't scored, either.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:37 pm Kamehameha is slowing St. Louis's offense in the 3rd quarter. Just one problem: they haven't scored, either.
It’s 31-28, Kam just scored and made the two point conversion.