Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@bandits1: That's right; I forgot that he asked that, too. I guess it would have to be Kamehameha, because I like that school. While I'm at it, I guess I should give you credit for having the guts to reveal your alma mater; I know you had done so from the start. So, people like you, Jacob, gopunahou, and Chad should be recognized for letting it all hang out, saying, "This is my alma mater". Unfortunately, there are guys like me, which, as you said some years back, are wimps and hypocrites. And, as I've said before, besides being a wimp and a hypocrite, my fear is that if I reveal my alma mater, that would hamper my objectivity and my willingness to post freely about things. I.e., I feel that I need to "go incognito" to post at my very best. Yes, that's pretty sad, but it's true in my case. It's like a psychological handicap, you could say.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

I just checked ScoringLive, and Kahuku leads Farrington 71-0 in the second quarter? Does anyone here know if that’s the right score? Is Farrington really playing that bad?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

That's the right score. Kahuku scored 29 points in the first quarter, and 42 in the second.

In a previous post, I offered a plan about an HC being free to forfeit a game after the 1st quarter if the lead was 55 points. Here is a game where that plan would have been helpful. The Farrington HC should be able to forfeit the game right now. There is no reason to submit the school, its students, and its alumni to any further embarrassment or humiliation. This kind of thing was bound to happen eventually, and it has happened before.

Meanwhile, Farrington High needs to swallow its pride and go down to D1 after this season.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Last night was a case of one team having everything go right and another having nothing go right. I don't think St. Louis will be as fortunate this coming Friday and pummel Kamehameha (as they did in the late 90s/early 2000s when the ILH title was on the line). I expect them to win, although they've got to cut down on the penalties.

I've also got to edit something I mentioned: last night was the first time we failed to score since 2011, when Campbell shut us out at home. The fact that we won the ILH and reached the state championship game that year made me forget that game.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou:

Yes, most guys know Punahou isn't as bad a team as Friday's score might suggest; it just wasn't their night. They were off on O, and nothing seemed to work. If you ask me, the real Punahou football team was the one that lost to St Louis by only 6 two weeks ago. I, too, suspect St Louis will beat Kamehameha this week. The only reason Kamehameha might not get pummeled is that they have a run game. But, a loss is still a loss.

I wouldn't dwell on the gloomy statistical aspects of Friday's game. It's water under the bridge; now Punahou alumni can move on to other sports. On Tuesday, Punahou plays Iolani in girls' volleyball, and the match will be on TV. That would be a good place to start leaving football behind. What's more, Punahou's girls have a shot at the ILH D1 title. And, boys' basketball will begin before too long; some schools are already starting tryouts. Punahou School is usually good in that sport.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:21 pm @gopunahou:

Yes, most guys know Punahou isn't as bad a team as Friday's score might suggest; it just wasn't their night. They were off on O, and nothing seemed to work. If you ask me, the real Punahou football team was the one that lost to St Louis by only 6 two weeks ago. I, too, suspect St Louis will beat Kamehameha this week. The only reason Kamehameha might not get pummeled is that they have a run game. But, a loss is still a loss.

I wouldn't dwell on the gloomy statistical aspects of Friday's game. It's water under the bridge; now Punahou alumni can move on to other sports. On Tuesday, Punahou plays Iolani in girls' volleyball, and the match will be on TV. That would be a good place to start leaving football behind. What's more, Punahou's girls have a shot at the ILH D1 title. And, boys' basketball will begin before too long; some schools are already starting tryouts. Punahou School is usually good in that sport.
One thing that benefits Kamehameha is that St. Louis will face a much more daunting task than they did in the late '90s and early 2000s, when they sometimes lost to Kamehameha but wound up winning the ILH (the Timmy Chang years). Those Kamehameha teams only beat St. Louis once, unlike this year.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:54 pm @ChadFukuoka:

That's the right score. Kahuku scored 29 points in the first quarter, and 42 in the second.

In a previous post, I offered a plan about an HC being free to forfeit a game after the 1st quarter if the lead was 55 points. Here is a game where that plan would have been helpful. The Farrington HC should be able to forfeit the game right now. There is no reason to submit the school, its students, and its alumni to any further embarrassment or humiliation. This kind of thing was bound to happen eventually, and it has happened before.

Meanwhile, Farrington High needs to swallow its pride and go down to D1 after this season.
ScoringLive shows the score as 68-0 Kahuku in the 3rd, and 62-0 at halftime. Still not that much better for Farrington.

I would imagine fans would be upset at a team moving down from the Open. It’s not as big of a deal between moving from D1 to D2, or moving up from D2 to D1, because several of those schools have smaller rosters, school enrollment, some don’t even host games at their field, etc. So the expectations from fans are to just be competitive in their division and try to eventually win a division title. But moving down from the Open might be a tough pill for fans to swallow. All of the Open schools have larger fan bases, bigger roster sizes, for OIA schools usually a full JV team, and often a history of competing for state titles either past or present. Even if Farrington wins a D1 title after hypothetically dropping down, fans will probably see it as only a consolation prize at best. They would just be waiting for when their team can move back up to Open.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:42 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:21 pm @gopunahou:

One thing that benefits Kamehameha is that St. Louis will face a much more daunting task than they did in the late '90s and early 2000s, when they sometimes lost to Kamehameha but wound up winning the ILH (the Timmy Chang years). Those Kamehameha teams only beat St. Louis once, unlike this year.
@gopunahou:

I think Kamehameha's OC will have the toughest job this whole week. He has to be concerned that St Louis' D pitched a shutout of a very strong Punahou O. How much of it was because Punahou's O was off? How much of a difference will it make that Kamehameha has a run game, while Punahou didn't? Did St Louis' DC add any new wrinkles that helped enable the D to pitch the shutout? There are so many things Kamehameha's OC has to figure-out. Good luck to him. To me, right off the bat, Kamehameha's run game needs to kick butt. The run game eats more clock, which helps keep St Louis' O off the field. If scoring points becomes a problem, try to keep the other school's O off the field to help minimize the points they can score.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:43 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:54 pm @ChadFukuoka:

ScoringLive shows the score as 68-0 Kahuku in the 3rd, and 62-0 at halftime. Still not that much better for Farrington.

I would imagine fans would be upset at a team moving down from the Open. It’s not as big of a deal between moving from D1 to D2, or moving up from D2 to D1, because several of those schools have smaller rosters, school enrollment, some don’t even host games at their field, etc. So the expectations from fans are to just be competitive in their division and try to eventually win a division title. But moving down from the Open might be a tough pill for fans to swallow. All of the Open schools have larger fan bases, bigger roster sizes, for OIA schools usually a full JV team, and often a history of competing for state titles either past or present. Even if Farrington wins a D1 title after hypothetically dropping down, fans will probably see it as only a consolation prize at best. They would just be waiting for when their team can move back up to Open.
@ChadFukuoka:

First off, I don't think it matters if a school doesn't have its own stadium; if a school has the quality players and thick linemen, the school's facilities don't matter. It's the team, not the field.

If we're talking about tough pills to swallow, losing 68-0 or more, has to be the toughest of all. A school, and its alumni, need to read the writing on the wall. When a school gets its butt whipped like that, that's a very loud alarm going off that the school isn't where it belongs. A school needs to tell its alumni, "Look, you saw what happened. We need to face facts here. We're not going to allow these other Open schools to keep kicking us in the teeth and dragging our school through the mud. We're not going to keep losing by this kind of score. We are going down to D1 after this season. That's it."

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Scoringlive says Kahuku beat Farrington, 75-6. If it makes Farrington fans feel better, the Govs lost 72-6 to St. Louis three years ago but reached the OIA playoffs.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

TheNewNORM wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:15 am go Punahou is right. For the sake of the ILH, StL. monopoly is not healthy for other programs.
Believe it or not, I think some Iolani fans might disagree with you. 10 years ago, there was a thread that bashed people that criticized Iolani's presence in D2:
https://www.sportshawaii.com/sh/viewtop ... ilit=alone

One of the posters said that dominance from one team was good. Can you believe that? Believe it! Keep in mind that the people bashing Iolani's presence in D2 at the time were those who remembered how competitive Iolani was in the '90s (1995 was the only year they didn't beat at least one of the Big Three) and the fact they beat at least one of the Big Three between 2008 and 2010.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Updated Top Ten,

1.Kamehameha 3-1 Did not play. St.Louis next.
2.Kahuku 2-0 Beat Farrington 75-6.
3.St.Louis 3-3 Shutout Punahou 35-0. Kamehameha next.Move up two spots.
4.Mililani 2-0 Blanked Kapolei 20-0.Bumped down one spot.
5.Campbell 1-0 DNP Move up two.
6.Punahou 1-4 Drop one spot with loss to St.Louis.
7.Iolani 6-0 DNP. Bumped down one place.
8.Waianae 1-1 Beat Leilehua 47-6. First time in 2021 top ten.
9.Lahainaluna 1-0 Shutout Maui 24-0.
10.Moanalua 2-0 Beat Aiea 28-25.

0-2 Farrington and 0-1 Hilo drop out with losses.Keep an eye on Castle and Waipahu to move in if a team in 7-10 stumbles next week. If Konawaena and Kealakehe pile on some more wins on the Big Island,I’d have to consider them too at some point.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:12 am
TheNewNORM wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:15 am go Punahou is right. For the sake of the ILH, StL. monopoly is not healthy for other programs.
Believe it or not, I think some Iolani fans might disagree with you. 10 years ago, there was a thread that bashed people that criticized Iolani's presence in D2:
https://www.sportshawaii.com/sh/viewtop ... ilit=alone

One of the posters said that dominance from one team was good. Can you believe that? Believe it! Keep in mind that the people bashing Iolani's presence in D2 at the time were those who remembered how competitive Iolani was in the '90s (1995 was the only year they didn't beat at least one of the Big Three) and the fact they beat at least one of the Big Three between 2008 and 2010.
The OC completely neutered the pun offense that was very confusing to watch. They made it easy for the Crusader defense to keep everything in front and break on those screens and short passes. Screen, screen, deep shot. They also chose to test the wrong corner over and over. Not sure if it’s a new OC or the new HC’s offense. Didn’t look like they trusted the qb, while the commentators talked about how good he is. Odd. Not gonna complain about the outcome, but Sagapolutele has show he’s capable in the past why handcuff him now.

What is with this monopoly and dominance stuff? It’s only bad when it’s not your team doing the winning?

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Hard to fill the gap when Tafiti is out. No QB pressure all night. I like the fact Brian Ah Yat is at Kam. He understands how to break down any passing offense.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Kale ANE should have waited for the Farrington coaching job. Nobody cares about the poor districts like Kalihi and Waianae. ILH poaches those district dry then the Mililani crew gets the rest.