Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:28 am
Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:56 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:42 pm The only way Punahou or St. Louis can win the ILH is if they beat Kamehameha twice.
Hey gopunahou good luck to your team next week!

I just wanted to check with you, I believe St.Louis and Punahou play each other next week while Kam has a bye. And then Kam plays the winner of the St.Louis/Punahou game. And whoever wins that game against Kam is the ILH champ and lone Open ILH representative in the state championship tournament. That’s what I thought. So I believe they would have to beat Kam just once. Or do they have to play Kam another time if they beat them this time around?
Thanks Jacob. Hawaiiprepworld says the ILH championship game in two weeks will decide the winner of the league.
Oh. So the ILH isn’t doing their two round system like they did before the Alliance with the OIA was formed? In that case, I think it makes the playoffs more exciting, every game is an elimination game, and nobody needs to beat someone twice to win.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:08 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:23 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:12 pm

I believe Radford and Leilehua also had a rivalry, back when those two teams were at the top of the OIA, along with Waianae. Two legendary coaches, John Velasco and Hugh Yoshida, both with their stadiums named after them. Also, the “Army-Navy” aspect to it, as Leilehua is by Schofield Barracks, and Radford by Pearl Harbor.
@Chad Fukuoka:

Yeah, I would agree that Radford and Leilehua had a football rivalry. And indeed, both Velasco and Yoshida were legends, especially Yoshida. If I recall correctly, Velasco passed-away just before Radford played St Louis for the Prep Bowl title in '81. Radford won, and some guys thought Velasco's spirit "influenced" the game. Yoshida went on to become AD at UH. I don't know about the Army vs Navy aspect; I don't recall it looming large at all, "back in the day". After all, Radford and Leilehua are public schools, not military academies. Yes, the Pearl Harbor navy brats went to Radford High, while the Schofield army brats went to Leilehua High. But, each school had more local kids, so I don't recall any notable element of "interservice rivalry" between the two schools.
My uncle played for Leilehua, I can’t remember exactly what year. He said when he played, there were a few “Beat Radford”, “Beat Leilehua” chants, followed up by a few “Beat Navy”, “Beat Army” chants. I always assumed it was a competitive, but naturally respectful aspect to the rivalry (since all branches of military service are defending our country). My uncle told me this story when he came over to visit, and the Army-Navy football game was on.
@ChadFukuoka: Well, if he played for Leilehua High, he should know. I wasn't aware.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:17 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:32 pm @gopunahou: I'm glad it isn't. I'd prefer that Kamehameha win, but I have a bad feeling that they'll lose. Even if it were on OC16, I wouldn't be able to bring myself to watch, anyway. I have a feeling of dread about the game; don't want to see it unfold. Don't want to feel the anguish. Life is stressful enough.
Then you’ll feel better, Kam won 34-31.
@ChadFukuoka: Shocking.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:49 pm Kamehameha became the first team to beat St. Louis twice in a season since we did it seven years ago. We play SLS next. Both teams are trying to avoid ugly outcomes--we haven't had a team beat us three times in a season ever. St. Louis is trying to avoid finishing with its first losing record since 1982. St. Louis can ill afford to have its offense abandon them in the 2nd half for the 3rd consecutive game. We can ill afford to give up big plays at any time in the game.
@gopunahou: I'm thinking Punahou has an edge on the D-line, while St Louis has an edge in the run game. Will Punahou QB Sagapolutele play? If he will, I'd say the two schools' pass games are about equal.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:38 pm Man if only the Kam-St.Louis game was on tv. But I think spectrum scheduled the ILH championship game in a couple weeks and for sure Kamehameha will be waiting for whoever they play. The rest of the Open team games were very lopsided, so this game definitely was the most exciting. Hopefully Leilehua does good in its first game ever playing in the Open Division next week :)

I believed this rematch w/Kam St.Louis was going to be a close game with the winner winning by single digits. I did share that I thought St.Louis had the edge with a 55-60% chance to win this one, but I’m really happy that Kamehameha took it instead. I was rooting for them all game and they came up clutch in the end especially Scoring the winning touchdown with I believe a minute or so left.

I can only base things off scoringlive stats and the live updates of it I was observing, but Kam really did well on their passing game which was almost nonexistent the first game against the Crusaders. QB 14/21 w/160passing yards 3 passing touchdowns and 1 interception. He’s no fluke. And then it looks like they did what they do in the run game with Bartley scoring 2 rushing tds, having 203 rushing yards with an amazing average of 7 yards per carry!!!

This wasn’t just a game where St.Louis O had waaaaaay more yards than Kam, but kept turning the ball over. In fact they forced more turnovers against Kamehameha and actually scored on an interception. But the total yards favored Kamehameha this time around 404 to 393. I’m really proud of Kamehameha’s offensive improvement! Their defense has been amazing all season and looks like they did awesome tonight. Bianco did really good on his feet and I’m not sure if they were designed runs or not, but he ran a whole lot and scored 2 rushing TD’s, but only threw 1 TD, so Kam D took away as best as they could the potential the strength and identity of the St.Louis O which is good. They were especially great in the second half because the Crusaders scored 0 points that half and the Warriors went clutch with 14 unanswered points in the 4th quarter. I believe they out coached St.Louis, and that second half probably proves it with the adjustments they made. Excited for the ILH championship game. I just wish they would have shown this game on tv tonight! Shucks!!!!!
@Jacob Makaiwi:

I'd imagine Spectrum regrets not showing it, too. After all, Spectrum is a business, and it's all about the money. The more viewership, the better the money (ratings). I suspect Spectrum is a little pissed at Kapolei for not making it a closer game; that would have increased viewership.

I did say in one of my earlier posts on this thread that Kamehameha's pass game would have to improve for the Warriors to have a chance, and that's exactly what happened. I give credit to QB Ah Yat and Kamehameha's QB coach (I'm assuming they have one).

Kudos to Kamehameha's entire O for outgaining St Louis in yardage; hats off to the OC. But, cut down on the turnovers; the game wouldn't have been that agonizingly close without them.

As for Kamehameha out-coaching St Louis, well, that's something of a miracle. Not that Kamehameha's coaching sucks, but because St Louis' coaching is so good. I mean, they've got the Lee brothers, and is Passas still the QB coach? It's miraculous that any school would out-coach the Saints.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:42 pm The only way Punahou or St. Louis can win the ILH is if they beat Kamehameha twice.
@gopunahou: Well, that's not entirely out of the question. Both Punahou and St Louis are capable of it. Both schools have the size and the talent.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

I just wanted to check with you, I believe St.Louis and Punahou play each other next week while Kam has a bye. And then Kam plays the winner of the St.Louis/Punahou game. And whoever wins that game against Kam is the ILH champ and lone Open ILH representative in the state championship tournament. That’s what I thought. So I believe they would have to beat Kam just once. Or do they have to play Kam another time if they beat them this time around?
@Jacob Makaiwi: Well, since Kamehameha finished with the best record in regular-season play, doesn't that count for something? Aren't they regular-season champs? Well, I would think they deserve a shot against the tourney champ, if it isn't them.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:12 am
ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:01 am

I think the ILH season is divided into 2 rounds. The regular season and the league tournament. If the same team wins both the regular season (best record), and the league tournament, then they get the state berth. If the league tournament winner is different from the regular season winner, then the two teams play a final playoff game to decide the state berth.
Oh I see, Thanks Chad! I see now what you meant gopunahou :) That is really interesting! Correct me if I’m wrong, but this still means that Pun and StLouis are playing in that first round of the tournament to face Kamehameha right? And that means that tonight’s win gave Kam a whole lot of leverage because even if they lose their upcoming game they still can play another one and win it to be the ILH representative. While either Pun or St.Louis can’t lose another game and must win 3 games straight (one against each other and 2 against Kam) to be the ILH representative yeah?
@Jacob Makaiwi: I would think so. So, I would think Kamehameha would have to lose their next two games to not be the ILH champ / Open rep.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:37 am Yeah they’re definitely in the driver’s seat. Thanks again man! And you’re right about Kamehameha being a pleasant surprise and winning more. I wonder if they’ll be able to keep it up and take it all this year. Even if they win the ILH the OIA teams are still kind of a mystery since they just started week 1. We pretty much know all 3 Open ILH teams by this point.

The only thing with Kam recently is that they have these years where they have amazing teams and talent and win the ILH and States or are the clear 2nd best team in the ILH, but then there’s many years where they are the clear 3rd place, and even were clearly below some OIA teams. I’m just stating a reason for why this is probably the case. This is not an excuse for them. But they are the only team from the big 3 of the ILH who can’t recruit players to come to their school to play football. Even Public schools have started to get that luxury of “recruiting.” Kam gets whoever got accepted into Kamehameha through the academic tests and interviews. That’s why every x amount of years they so happen to have great talent that can match or surpass the other 2 teams. This isn’t a consistent thing that teams with the luxury of recruiting players has. But like any other team, if Kam has a streak of winning more, then more great football athletes might want to try to get into their school and play Football for them. They just have to pass the test and interview, which has a very low acceptance rate. But you never know. Can Kamehameha ever have a consistent streak again of being on the very top like they were in the 70’s?
@Jacob Makaiwi: It's not because of the academic tests/interviews. Don't all private schools have those? Yet, St Louis and Punahou are recruiting left and right, especially St Louis. What's hampering Kamehameha is that they can accept only students with Hawaiian blood. That's a huge obstacle. I mean, like, not all great football players have Hawaiian blood. Kamehameha is the only school on the island that has to deal with that.

And yes, I remember Kamehameha's '70s streak; I was in high school back then. They were ILH and Prep Bowl champs--the Prep Bowl was the equivalent of the State Open title game--in '74, '75, and '76. In '74, they edged Leilehua by one or two points, something like 17-16, I think. In '75, they beat Waianae, 14-6. I remember that score exactly. In '76, they blew-out Radford by some crazy score, something like 44-9, I think. They won the ILH again in '78 and '79. In '78, they lost to Waianae in the Prep Bowl. Can't recall the exact score, but it was close, I thInk: Seven point spread or less. In '79, they got blown-out by Kaiser in the Prep Bowl, 27-7. Ironically, Kaiser's top RB was senior Boyd Yap, who transferred from Kamehameha after his junior year, then returned to Kamehameha after the Prep Bowl! Like, what the hell?!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:52 am
Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:37 am Yeah they’re definitely in the driver’s seat. Thanks again man! And you’re right about Kamehameha being a pleasant surprise and winning more. I wonder if they’ll be able to keep it up and take it all this year. Even if they win the ILH the OIA teams are still kind of a mystery since they just started week 1. We pretty much know all 3 Open ILH teams by this point.

The only thing with Kam recently is that they have these years where they have amazing teams and talent and win the ILH and States or are the clear 2nd best team in the ILH, but then there’s many years where they are the clear 3rd place, and even were clearly below some OIA teams. I’m just stating a reason for why this is probably the case. This is not an excuse for them. But they are the only team from the big 3 of the ILH who can’t recruit players to come to their school to play football. Even Public schools have started to get that luxury of “recruiting.” Kam gets whoever got accepted into Kamehameha through the academic tests and interviews. That’s why every x amount of years they so happen to have great talent that can match or surpass the other 2 teams. This isn’t a consistent thing that teams with the luxury of recruiting players has. But like any other team, if Kam has a streak of winning more, then more great football athletes might want to try to get into their school and play Football for them. They just have to pass the test and interview, which has a very low acceptance rate. But you never know. Can Kamehameha ever have a consistent streak again of being on the very top like they were in the 70’s?
Also, with Kam, you need to be part Hawaiian or full Hawaiian to attend. So players with no Hawaiian blood are not going to school and playing football there. Great QB’s like Marcus Mariota and Tua would not have been able to play for the Warriors. So that limits the available talent pool, especially when your two main competitors both recruit across the whole island. I’m not sure how familiar you are with Kam football during their dominance in the 70’s, but I guess recruiting wasn’t an issue back then, or maybe the other ILH teams didn’t recruit as much as they do now?
@ChadFukuoka: I was in high school in the mid-'70s. Back then, as far as I knew, schools didn't recruit anywhere near as heavily as they do today. And besides, as you mentioned (and as I mentioned in the previous post), Kamehameha Schools wasn't able to recruit anyone who didn't have Hawaiian blood. I think Kamehameha Schools simply had a good mix of talent and size back in the '70s; I don't think there was a whole lot of active recruiting, especially in Kamehameha Schools' case, where students had to have Hawaiian.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:06 am
ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:52 am

Also, with Kam, you need to be part Hawaiian or full Hawaiian to attend. So players with no Hawaiian blood are not going to school and playing football there. Great QB’s like Marcus Mariota and Tua would not have been able to play for the Warriors. So that limits the available talent pool, especially when your two main competitors both recruit across the whole island. I’m not sure how familiar you are with Kam football during their dominance in the 70’s, but I guess recruiting wasn’t an issue back then, or maybe the other ILH teams didn’t recruit as much as they do now?
Great comment on that too! You’re very right, some of the greats of Hawaii football talent don’t have a lick of Hawaiian blood so they wouldn’t even have a chance for Kam schools. So that’s definitely another way where Kam football talent can possibly be affected. I was born in 93 😂 so yeah I mostly know Kam’s 70’s dominance through word and research. I also attended Kamehameha from 7th grade until I graduated with them and I played on their JV and Vars teams so I know a little bit about those “glory days” through being on campus. I also was fortunate enough to play on their team in ‘09 when we took everything.

But back to Kam’s dominance in the 70’s. I know they won 3 straight prep bowls and went to 5 in total during the 70’s. And the prep bowls didn’t start until ‘73, so in all 7 seasons in the 70s Kam won the ILH 5 out of 7 years to be in those prepbowl games.

But then the Lee brothers came to St.Louis and dominated the 80’s and 90’s. So yeah recruiting football players for Saint Louis and Punahou in the 70s might have happened, but like you said it definitely was a factor afterward and was very obvious and on steroids especially for St.Louis after the 70’s. And then Punahou caught up with their own recruiting battles and eventually started winning that recruiting battle against Saint Louis especially after the Lee brothers left for a bit. But Kam just can’t do it with that recruiting so in a way they’re like some OIA schools where they do happen to have great talent for one or two years and then they just have to wait until the next batch of great talent comes.
@Jacob Makaiwi:

Even OIA schools have a recruiting advantage over Kamehameha, as they can recruit anyone; don't need Hawaiian blood. Look at Mililani High; HC York is having a field day recruiting. Don't have Hawaiian blood? That's OK; no problem! We're not Kamehameha Schools.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Football

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:18 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:43 pm
TheNewNORM wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:32 pm I'm really interested in McKinley's program. Can Coach Ane revive a once proud Town team.
@TheNewNORM:

Well, McKinley High hasn't had a strong team since '04; that was the last year they made the OIA playoffs. They had a fairly decent team in '13. But, it's been pretty disastrous for them since then. They had a horrible season in '15; that year they lost to Kahuku High, 70-something to 0, and they lost to Waianae like 90 to 0 (yes, ninety to 0). I mean, McKinley alumni have seen their alma mater get kicked-around for the most part, for the past forty years. That's a long time. I don't think Kale can do a whole lot about it. I mean, he's not God. For one thing, McKinley High is in D2. Kale left an Open school, Punahou, and is taking the reins of a D2 school. I don't think he can recruit his way out of this predicament; how do you recruit players to a D2 school? Talk about Mission Impossible. I've heard McKinley High has some big kids, O-lineman types. However, not all of them are even going out for the team, I've heard. And, it's not because of Kale. I've heard they had the same problem before he got there. I mean, you never know, but I'm sorry to say that you'll probably be disappointed by McKinley High's football program. It's just one of those things. I don't think there's a whole lot that Kale can do. He recruited his way to prominence at Punahou School, but I simply don't see it happening at McKinley High.
While McKinley hit rock bottom in that 2015 season, they probably weren’t the worst Hawaii football team ever. I know on the Big Island, Kau was absolutely dreadful in their 2012 season. They lost to Konawaena 86-0, and 91-8. They also got blown out and mercy ruled by some other Big Island teams that year. And who could forget Hilo’s 104-0 victory over Waiakea. I never thought it would be possible to score in the triple digits, especially with a running clock in the second half. I actually thought the score was a typo, and it was supposed to be 14-0.
@ChadFukuoka: Well, you're talking statewide. But, for Oahu, that's the worst licking in high school football in modern times. (By "modern", I mean over the past 70 years.)

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:28 am

Thanks Jacob. Hawaiiprepworld says the ILH championship game in two weeks will decide the winner of the league.
@gopunahou: So it didn't matter that Kamehameha won the ILH regular season? Isn't that a ripoff?

Jacob Makaiwi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Jacob Makaiwi »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:58 pm

@Jacob Makaiwi: It's not because of the academic tests/interviews. Don't all private schools have those? Yet, St Louis and Punahou are recruiting left and right, especially St Louis. What's hampering Kamehameha is that they can accept only students with Hawaiian blood. That's a huge obstacle. I mean, like, not all great football players have Hawaiian blood. Kamehameha is the only school on the island that has to deal with that.

And yes, I remember Kamehameha's '70s streak; I was in high school back then. They were ILH and Prep Bowl champs--the Prep Bowl was the equivalent of the State Open title game--in '74, '75, and '76. In '74, they edged Leilehua by one or two points, something like 17-16, I think. In '75, they beat Waianae, 14-6. I remember that score exactly. In '76, they blew-out Radford by some crazy score, something like 44-9, I think. They won the ILH again in '78 and '79. In '78, they lost to Waianae in the Prep Bowl. Can't recall the exact score, but it was close, I thInk: Seven point spread or less. In '79, they got blown-out by Kaiser in the Prep Bowl, 27-7. Ironically, Kaiser's top RB was senior Boyd Yap, who transferred from Kamehameha after his junior year, then returned to Kamehameha after the Prep Bowl! Like, what the hell?!
Yeah man Boyd Yap was my running back coach when I played for Kamehameha. He’s a stud! And it’s crazy how he did that in high school 😂 but I looked this up too and Kaiser’s Head Coach when they won that prep bowl with Boyd Yap at RB was non other than Ron Lee! Man that Lee coaching was good enough to even help a team like Kaiser win it all! And according to that score they not only won, but they demolished the giant at that time which was 70’s Kamehameha. Crazy! Those Lee’s must have some of the highest football IQ’s ever

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@Jacob Makaiwi: Well, I like Kamehameha Schools, so I'm kind of frustrated that Yap helped Kaiser High beat them his senior year, only to return and graduate with them. He did graduate from Kamehameha Schools that school year, Class of '80. I was at the Kamehameha v Kaiser Prep Bowl game; this is how Kaiser blew-out Kamehameha: Kaiser had a good QB and tall receivers. Then as now, Kamehameha's DBs were short. (Some things never change, I guess.) So, what the Kaiser QB did was throw tall to his receivers. Since the receivers were tall, they usually had to reach-up to catch the ball, but the ball would be way over the heads of the shorter Kamehameha DBs. It sucked to watch Kamehameha's DBs cover Kaiser's receivers, with their hands way up when the ball arrived. But, their hands couldn't reach the ball. And, of course, Yap's running yardage also helped Kaiser.

Yes, the Lees did a good job at Kaiser High, but don't forget all they've accomplished at St Louis School. What they've done at St Louis School far overshadows what they did at Kaiser High. As we know, Cal was an AC at Kalani High for a few years, back in the mid- or late-2000s, I think. Sometimes I wish he had stayed there, and even become HC. After all, Cal is a Kalani alumnus. (Ron is a St Louis alumnus.) Cal was an all-star LB for Kalani High in '63 or '64, can't remember which.