Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

TheNewNORM wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:23 pm So my picks for Open weekend.

**Punahou over StL. over under 59. / UPSET SPECIAL

*Leileihua over Waianae not a upset. Waianae has a new coach, program, and multiple kids playing in the ILH and poached to other OIA teams. over under 35.

**Kapolei over Mililani. over under 45./ UPSET SPECIAL

Kahuku over Farrington. over under 42

My pick to win it all, Kahuku.
Open Championship Game....Kamehameha vs. Kahuku (2010 rematch)
@TheNewNORM: One thing that jumped out at me and bit my face was, Kapolei over Mililani. Some polls had Mililani ranked above Kahuku. And, Kahuku murdered Kapolei last week, 41-7. Also last week, Mililani murdered Waianae, 49-6. As good as Mililani is, I'm still surprised that Waianae didn't make a better showing. They have what's supposed to be a pretty good RB, Koli Quisquirin-Sabagala. And, Waianae usually has a thick O-line. Nonetheless, Quisquirin-Sabagala was held to only 50 yards. I guess that's why Waianae isn't ranked this year. Even if their D sucks for allowing 7 TDs, why was their O held to just one TD? It's pretty complicated, I guess. Things are looking kind of grim for Waianae alumni, and their alma mater used to kick butt left and right from the mid-'70s to the early-'80s. They were so dominant that by the late-'70s, guys coined the expression, "the Waianae mystique".

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:55 pm

*Leileihua over Waianae not a upset. Waianae has a new coach, program, and multiple kids playing in the ILH and poached to other OIA teams. over under 35.

@TheNewNORM: One thing that jumped out at me and bit my face was, Kapolei over Mililani. Some polls had Mililani ranked above Kahuku. And, Kahuku murdered Kapolei last week, 41-7. Also last week, Mililani murdered Waianae, 49-6. As good as Mililani is, I'm still surprised that Waianae didn't make a better showing. They have what's supposed to be a pretty good RB, Koli Quisquirin-Sabagala. And, Waianae usually has a thick O-line. Nonetheless, Quisquirin-Sabagala was held to only 50 yards. I guess that's why Waianae isn't ranked this year. Even if their D sucks for allowing 7 TDs, why was their O held to just one TD? It's pretty complicated, I guess. Things are looking kind of grim for Waianae alumni, and their alma mater used to kick butt left and right from the mid-'70s to the early-'80s. They were so dominant that by the late-'70s, guys coined the expression, "the Waianae mystique".
I wonder if the constant change in Waianae’s coaching staff has something to do with this. They have kind of had a revolving door of new coaches. I would guess all of them have a different system that they are trying to install. It must be difficult to have consistency in developing players. A lot of times, even the youth and club teams for elementary and middle school aged kids try to run the same concepts that the high school varsity team runs, to prepare them for when they do reach that level.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

TheNewNORM wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:23 pm

Well Waianae played at Mililani. Waianaes program is way behind. Several 1st stringers left for Kapolei and Campbell. Kapolei will play Mililani at Kapolei. That gives them +6 (home). Kapolei mistakes against Kahuku, 2 pick 6, kickoff coverage and a dropped end zone pass that the refs missed cost 28 red raiders points. So if Hernandez can keep those mistakes down, Kapolei has the personnel on both offense and defense to flip this. Big PLUS the Kapolei fans can attend the game.
For Punahou, Sagapolutele needs to run. I would like to see a tight end inserted as an extra blocker and short yardage catcher. Cmon Kia.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:43 pm

I wonder if the constant change in Waianae’s coaching staff has something to do with this. They have kind of had a revolving door of new coaches. I would guess all of them have a different system that they are trying to install. It must be difficult to have consistency in developing players. A lot of times, even the youth and club teams for elementary and middle school aged kids try to run the same concepts that the high school varsity team runs, to prepare them for when they do reach that level.
@ChadFukuoka: The revolving door of coaches might be partially responsible. Back in the "Waianae mystique" years, Waianae had the same coach: Larry Ginoza. I suppose that when a new coach comes aboard, there's a tension between what he wants to implement, and the kind of players the school has. Waianae is kind of like the Kailua of the West: They almost always have thick linemen. What Waianae usually also has is good RBs, and I'm convinced they have one in Quisquirin-Sabagala. So, why did he get only 50 yards against Mililani last week? I doubt that it's because Waianae's O-line is small; that almost never happens. Perhaps they're thick but slow. Or, is Mililani's defensive front-seven that dominant? Mililani is ranked in the Top 5.

Jacob Makaiwi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Jacob Makaiwi »

@HS Football Fanatic. Howzit my friend!! 🤙🏾
Just wanted to explain small kine. You don’t have to agree, but I’m just throwing my pitch out there. In no way am I disregarding St.Louis. I know they have all the pieces to win it all in the end. But at the moment I am giving the edge to Kamehameha over St.Louis for the ILH crown, so with that I also expect Kam to make it the Open Championship game. And if they make it, you and I are both going to cheer for Kam 🤙🏾 (unless it’s Leilehua they’re playing against, then you know who I’m rooting for LOL)
- On a side note: it would be crazy if the eventual ILH champ (Punahou, Kam, or St.Louis) does not make it all the way to the Open Championship game, and two OIA teams battle it out instead. That would be the first time in Hawaii’s Football State Championship history and would be pretty cool!

So I originally gave St.Louis a slight edge to beat Kamehameha the second time around, but they lost. And Kam won the way I predicted Kam could possibly win; with their newfound offensive balance, their almost impossible to contain RB and running game, them pressuring & hitting the QB while playing well in the secondary, and their second half adjustments (coaching). St.Louis had a lead, but Kam won when the clock struck zero.

Between the two teams I think Kamehameha is the better team when it comes to execution. And since their loss to Punahou they’ve executed their game plans and second half adjustments better than the other two teams. I do expect St.Louis to beat Punahou and make it to the ILH championship game, but tonight could prove me wrong.

But another reason why I give Kam the edge over St.Louis and even Punahou if Punahou beats St.Louis tonight, is that Kam put themselves in the very best position at the moment. They have a bye week while St.Louis and Punahou are unfortunately in a win or go home situation tonight. Those games are intense, emotionally and mentally draining, and unfortunately can cause injury because of the importance of it. If it’s a close game (which I assume it will be) the starters have to stay in the whole time and are more prone to injury or just getting small kine buss up before the next game. All while Kam gets two full weeks of recovery and preparation.

And I’m still not certain on this because there’s back and forth talk on this forum about how the ILH champ is determined in the end, but in one scenario either St.Louis or Punahou have to win 3 games straight with no losses, while Kam just has to win 1 out of 2 possible games. And I believe in the other scenario Kam has to win the next game, while the other teams have to first beat each other and then beat Kam. Either way, Kam is in the best position. If St.Louis won the regular season title I think they would make it out because of that same situation Kam is in now. But Kam has earned it and I think they’re going to take full advantage of their current situation. This has been a great Open ILH season with all 3 teams evenly matched in talent! I have my prediction, but only time will tell who the Open ILH representative will be! 😁

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheNewNORM wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:51 pm
TheNewNORM wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:23 pm

Well Waianae played at Mililani. Waianaes program is way behind. Several 1st stringers left for Kapolei and Campbell. Kapolei will play Mililani at Kapolei. That gives them +6 (home). Kapolei mistakes against Kahuku, 2 pick 6, kickoff coverage and a dropped end zone pass that the refs missed cost 28 red raiders points. So if Hernandez can keep those mistakes down, Kapolei has the personnel on both offense and defense to flip this. Big PLUS the Kapolei fans can attend the game.
For Punahou, Sagapolutele needs to run. I would like to see a tight end inserted as an extra blocker and short yardage catcher. Cmon Kia.
@TheNewNORM:

Wow, that sucks. I didn't know Waianae was in such bad shape, to the point where you have starters bailing to other schools. Usually, the only school that can push Waianae around is St Louis.

Well, I guess I underestimated Kapolei. But, I still think them beating Mililani is a reach. Some polls had Mililani ranked as high as #3, ahead of Kahuku.

OK, so I guess Punahou QB Sagapolutele will play? Well, that's a big boost for Punahou. Do you think Punahou HC Kia will heed your advice and use a tight end? Does Punahou have a tight end? Seems to me that schools stopped using tight ends for the most part, starting about eight years ago or so. Have you noticed that?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:57 am @HS Football Fanatic. Howzit my friend!! 🤙🏾
Just wanted to explain small kine. You don’t have to agree, but I’m just throwing my pitch out there. In no way am I disregarding St.Louis. I know they have all the pieces to win it all in the end. But at the moment I am giving the edge to Kamehameha over St.Louis for the ILH crown, so with that I also expect Kam to make it the Open Championship game. And if they make it, you and I are both going to cheer for Kam 🤙🏾 (unless it’s Leilehua they’re playing against, then you know who I’m rooting for LOL)
- On a side note: it would be crazy if the eventual ILH champ (Punahou, Kam, or St.Louis) does not make it all the way to the Open Championship game, and two OIA teams battle it out instead. That would be the first time in Hawaii’s Football State Championship history and would be pretty cool!

So I originally gave St.Louis a slight edge to beat Kamehameha the second time around, but they lost. And Kam won the way I predicted Kam could possibly win; with their newfound offensive balance, their almost impossible to contain RB and running game, them pressuring & hitting the QB while playing well in the secondary, and their second half adjustments (coaching). St.Louis had a lead, but Kam won when the clock struck zero.

Between the two teams I think Kamehameha is the better team when it comes to execution. And since their loss to Punahou they’ve executed their game plans and second half adjustments better than the other two teams. I do expect St.Louis to beat Punahou and make it to the ILH championship game, but tonight could prove me wrong.

But another reason why I give Kam the edge over St.Louis and even Punahou if Punahou beats St.Louis tonight, is that Kam put themselves in the very best position at the moment. They have a bye week while St.Louis and Punahou are unfortunately in a win or go home situation tonight. Those games are intense, emotionally and mentally draining, and unfortunately can cause injury because of the importance of it. If it’s a close game (which I assume it will be) the starters have to stay in the whole time and are more prone to injury or just getting small kine buss up before the next game. All while Kam gets two full weeks of recovery and preparation.

And I’m still not certain on this because there’s back and forth talk on this forum about how the ILH champ is determined in the end, but in one scenario either St.Louis or Punahou have to win 3 games straight with no losses, while Kam just has to win 1 out of 2 possible games. And I believe in the other scenario Kam has to win the next game, while the other teams have to first beat each other and then beat Kam. Either way, Kam is in the best position. If St.Louis won the regular season title I think they would make it out because of that same situation Kam is in now. But Kam has earned it and I think they’re going to take full advantage of their current situation. This has been a great Open ILH season with all 3 teams evenly matched in talent! I have my prediction, but only time will tell who the Open ILH representative will be! 😁
@Jacob Makaiwi:

You would cheer for Leilehua against Kamehameha, when you graduated from Kamehameha? Well, OK.
Leilehua is ranked #8; I don't think they'll get past Kahuku or Mililani. And, according to TheNewNORM, Kapolei is capable of beating Mililani.

I think there is a possibility that the ILH champ won't make it to the State title game. Some guys are saying that Kahuku is the best team in the state, even though Kamehameha is ranked #1 for now. Meanwhile, some polls had Mililani ranked above Kahuku. And again, TheNewNORM thinks Kapolei is capable of beating Mililani. So, I think it's very possible that two of those three schools might play for the state title. If Kamehameha wins the ILH, I hope they take states. But, if St Louis or Punahou wins the ILH, I want their OIA opponent (whichever school it is) to take states.

Kamehameha did play very well against St Louis both times, but they still needed luck to win both games. And yes, I think St Louis will beat Punahou tonight. But, unless St Louis QB Bianco goes down to injury, I have a bad feeling that Kamehameha will lose. It's my understanding that St Louis would have to beat Kamehameha twice to win the ILH, but I don't want to look past the first game the two schools will have to play. I do hope Kamehameha beats them again, as I like that school. Assuming that Bianco is still healthy after tonight's game, then I think the only way Kamehameha can beat St Louis again is for their defensive front-seven to play like they never have before. I mean, they played well enough to beat St Louis twice, but both wins were by such close margins (2 points, then 3 points). Though St Louis can also run the ball this year, they're still primarily pass-oriented. So, the key to beating them is to neutralize Bianco as much as possible. Kamehameha's D-line is quick, and they need to exploit that speed to get the better of the slower hogs on St Louis' O-line.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Damn, Tafiti out of the game? Man, my numbers are screwed.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@TheNewNORM:

Well, that's only one player on the D-line. Could have been worse; what if QB Sagapolutele were out.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

TheNewNORM wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:08 pm Damn, Tafiti out of the game? Man, my numbers are screwed.
I've seen a #10 for Punahou and don't think he's out. Regardless, the problem is our offense can't do anything right. Our defense's inability to stop big plays has reared its ugly head, again.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou:

Tafiti is #18; he's on crutches. I think you can kiss this one goodbye; it's 28-0 at the half. But, there's still that Kahuku game; this isn't Punahou's last game. Also, the girls' volleyball team is still very much in the ILH D1 hunt, despite being upset by Kamehameha on Tuesday.
Back to football, it doesn't seem likely that Punahou will beat Kahuku. You might want to shift your focus to girls' volleyball. It's nowhere as big as football, of course, but it's better than nothing. What also helps is that, like football, some of the girls' volleyball matches are on TV, so you can watch at home. What would suck is following a sport like, say, bowling; that's never on TV.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:20 pm @gopunahou:

Tafiti is #18; he's on crutches. I think you can kiss this one goodbye; it's 28-0 at the half. But, there's still that Kahuku game; this isn't Punahou's last game. Also, the girls' volleyball team is still very much in the ILH D1 hunt, despite being upset by Kamehameha on Tuesday.
Back to football, it doesn't seem likely that Punahou will beat Kahuku. You might want to shift your focus to girls' volleyball. It's nowhere as big as football, of course, but it's better than nothing.
The Kahuku Punahou game is off. The game would only occur if Punahou won the ILH and went to states. Hawaii Prep World just put out an article to that effect.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Just scanning ScoringLive, Waipahu is up on Kailua 18-2 at halftime. Bit of a surprise. Aiea is giving Moanalua a tougher game than expected, Moanalua leads 22-14 at halftime. If St Louis scores to make it 35-0, will the next rule be in effect, since this is a playoff game? I know the mercy rule is in effect during the regular season, does it apply to league playoff games, or state playoff games (if a blowout occurs then)?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:35 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:20 pm @gopunahou:

Back to football, it doesn't seem likely that Punahou will beat Kahuku. You might want to shift your focus to girls' volleyball. It's nowhere as big as football, of course, but it's better than nothing.
The Kahuku Punahou game is off. The game would only occur if Punahou won the ILH and went to states. Hawaii Prep World just put out an article to that effect.
@ChadFukuoka:

Oh. Well, looks like this is Punahou's last game. But like I was telling gopunahou, he might want to just shift-over to girls' volleyball; it's better than nothing, Punahou is doing quite well, and some of the matches are on TV.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:41 pm Just scanning ScoringLive, Waipahu is up on Kailua 18-2 at halftime. Bit of a surprise. Aiea is giving Moanalua a tougher game than expected, Moanalua leads 22-14 at halftime. If St Louis scores to make it 35-0, will the next rule be in effect, since this is a playoff game? I know the mercy rule is in effect during the regular season, does it apply to league playoff games, or state playoff games (if a blowout occurs then)?
@ChadFukuoka:

Yeah, I'm surprised that Waipahu is beating Kailua. Waipahu RB Failauga graduated already, right? Guess Waipahu's D-line is handling what I'm assuming is a thick Kailua O-line.

Also, yes, your alma mater is doing better than I expected against Moanalua, especially after Moanalua blew-out Damien last week.