Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:27 pm I can't believe how many PIs St. Louis is committing. Even though they'll likely win this game, this is something they gotta address. I think they've committed four PIs on one possession, including back to back plays.
@gopunahou: Oh, I think it's quite certain that the coaching staff will address that. Cal is the DC, but I'm assuming there's a DB coach there.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:32 am Updated Top Ten,

1.Kamehameha 2-1
2.St.Louis 2-2 Beat Punahou.
3.Kahuku 0-0
4.Mililani 0-0
5.Punahou 1-3 Lost to St.Louis.
6.Iolani 6-0
7.Campbell 0-0
8.Farrington 0-0
9.Hilo 0-0
10.Lahainaluna 0-0

A little early, but when there is only one varsity game in the entire state , there is not that much to decide.

St.Louis 2021 is not like the 2019 team.Crusaders have two losses,and when they win,it’s not a blowout.

Wonder if Iolani tries to get a game against Kamehameha,Punahou,or St.Louis before states?An OIA Open team would be a good challenge,too.

Really hope the media sent staff to cover that Kamehameha-Kahuku scrimmage.
@unpaid: I doubt that Iolani will schedule any of those three schools; their Open teams are just too physical. All three schools' Open teams have big, physical D-lines. They would wreck Iolani's undersized O-line, and possibly injure the QB as well. To schedule any of those schools would be suicidal.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:58 am
unpaid wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:32 am Updated Top Ten,

1.Kamehameha 2-1
2.St.Louis 2-2 Beat Punahou.
3.Kahuku 0-0
4.Mililani 0-0
5.Punahou 1-3 Lost to St.Louis.
6.Iolani 6-0
7.Campbell 0-0
8.Farrington 0-0
9.Hilo 0-0
10.Lahainaluna 0-0

A little early, but when there is only one varsity game in the entire state , there is not that much to decide.

St.Louis 2021 is not like the 2019 team.Crusaders have two losses,and when they win,it’s not a blowout.

Wonder if Iolani tries to get a game against Kamehameha,Punahou,or St.Louis before states?An OIA Open team would be a good challenge,too.

Really hope the media sent staff to cover that Kamehameha-Kahuku scrimmage.
I'd love to see us at least scrimmage against Iolani for old time's sake. We are their biggest rival.

Anyway, as with last week's game, there was one area that hurt St. Louis. Last week it was turnovers; tonight it was penalties. They had four PIs (could've been five had there been different refs) on one possession, including back-to-back plays.

As for us, I hope that JK didn't suffer a season-ending injury. We've already dealt with losing QB to a devastating injury two years ago. Though JK's replacement was pretty solid, though he was aided by PIs on the SLS secondary.
@gopunahou:

I'd think it's highly unlikely that Iolani will schedule Punahou, even for a controlled scrimmage. Iolani is simply too small physically to take-on Punahou; there'd be more to be lost than gained.

You know that I dislike Punahou School so I hate to say this, but: I think the reason St Louis' DBs had so many interference calls during that possession is that they knew how accurate Sagapolutele and his backup are, and how good the receivers are. The DBs apparently overcompensated, but that shows you how concerned they were about Punahou's pass game.

Even if Sagapolutele is done, I think his backup is just as good and just as accurate a passer. However, obviously he won't be able to run the ball the way Sagapolutele does.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:27 am
unpaid wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:26 am Hope Sagapolutele can play next game. He and McCutcheon have potential at the NCAA level I think.
So do I. It helps that we’ve got a bye week.

If McCutcheon is the starter after JK graduates, he’ll enter a more than favorable situation, as many of our best skill players are sophomores.
@gopunahou
@unpaid

I think McCutcheon is too small. I mean, he has a good arm, and he's accurate. Isn't he only a soph? Well, he's going to have to put on some bulk by his senior year, I think, before a whole lot of colleges take a serious look at him. If he's not much bigger his senior year, perhaps an Alabama wouldn't look at him. But, I think UH would, simply because of his decent arm and his accuracy. Though I dislike Punahou School, once he joins UH's team, I'll support him 100%. As a UH alumnus, I'm going to support UH teams; I don't care which high school the players graduated from. It's like that volleyball player, Jackie Matias. Once she took-off Punahou Blue and put-on Hawaii green, she joined the UH "family" of students and alumni. I saw her in a different light.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheNewNORM wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:58 am The number 1 team scrimmaging Kahuku in mid season is NotNorm. Hope Maafala hold back his key players. Would be good to see Kaluna/Kanoa-Tangaro tandem in the Kahuku backfield. Dont expect any special fireworks, just a lot of pent up hitting.
@TheNewNORM: My thoughts exactly. Maafala can't be foolish enough, I hope, to throw his skill starters into the Kahuku fire; he's got St Louis next week. I think it's safe to assume that Kahuku is big and physical, as usual. If I were Maafala, I wouldn't even play Bartley and Ah Yat. Start Apao and Mahiai, but pull them after the first half. I think Kamehameha needs all four (Bartley, Mahiai, Ah Yat, and Apao) against St Louis. Can't risk exposing them to injury. I suspect Kahuku will be the ones doing all the pent-up hitting: 1.) This is the first "game" of any kind they've played, and they must be itching to hit guys from a different school, for a change. 2.) Since Kamehameha is ranked #1, they have a big bull's-eye on their backs, and Kahuku is surely determined to hit the target, literally.
Kahuku is in the Top 5, so they must feel that being #1 is within their range, especially now that St Louis has been beaten by another Hawaii school. Surely, Kahuku would like to say, "We beat #1 Kamehameha, even if it was only a controlled scrimmage". Kamehameha needs to flip Kahuku off, in that regard. Kamehameha can't be determined to win the scrimmage at all costs. If Kahuku wins it, so what? It's only a controlled scrimmage. Kahuku might try to play this thing up, hype it. Kamehameha needs to shrug its shoulders and say, "Whatever". The time to get all-out physical with Kahuku--and Kamehameha has the size to do it--is in States. Kahuku is virtually a lock to get to States; Kamehameha isn't. For Kamehameha, it's put one foot ahead of the other, take one ILH game at a time; don't look past the next ILH school. I don't think pollsters will demote Kamehameha just because they lose to Kahuku in a controlled scrimmage.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:34 pm
unpaid wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:26 am Hope Sagapolutele can play next game. He and McCutcheon have potential at the NCAA level I think.

If McCutcheon is the starter after JK graduates, he’ll enter a more than favorable situation, as many of our best skill players are sophomores.
@gopunahou
@unpaid

I think McCutcheon is too small. I mean, he has a good arm, and he's accurate. Isn't he only a soph? Well, he's going to have to put on some bulk by his senior year, I think, before a whole lot of colleges take a serious look at him. If he's not much bigger his senior year, perhaps an Alabama wouldn't look at him. But, I think UH would, simply because of his decent arm and his accuracy. Though I dislike Punahou School, once he joins UH's team, I'll support him 100%. As a UH alumnus, I'm going to support UH teams; I don't care which high school the players graduated from. It's like that volleyball player, Jackie Matias. Once she took-off Punahou Blue and put-on Hawaii green, she joined the UH "family" of students and alumni. I saw her in a different light.
Same thing was said about McKenzie Milton before he went to UCF and turned that program around, winning an Orange Bowl and a claimed national championship, during their undefeated season. Sometimes, players develop in their junior and senior years. Pure size isn’t completely necessary to be successful at QB, although if you’re smaller, it probably helps to be a running or mobile QB as well.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:07 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:34 pm

@gopunahou
@unpaid

Same thing was said about McKenzie Milton before he went to UCF and turned that program around, winning an Orange Bowl and a claimed national championship, during their undefeated season. Sometimes, players develop in their junior and senior years. Pure size isn’t completely necessary to be successful at QB, although if you’re smaller, it probably helps to be a running or mobile QB as well.
@ChadFukuoka:

Well, it's true that Milton was kind of scrawny when he was at Mililani High. I mean, I'm not saying that you have to as big as St Louis QB Bianco or Punahou QB Sagapolutele to make it big in college. But, you'd rather not be scrawny either, if you can help it. We'll see what happens with McCutcheon once he graduates high school. Based on what we see right now--his decent arm, his accuracy--I think UH should already be thinking about making him an offer when he becomes a senior. He might even put on more bulk by then, too, who knows?

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:52 pm
TheNewNORM wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:58 am The number 1 team scrimmaging Kahuku in mid season is NotNorm. Hope Maafala hold back his key players. Would be good to see Kaluna/Kanoa-Tangaro tandem in the Kahuku backfield. Dont expect any special fireworks, just a lot of pent up hitting.
@TheNewNORM: My thoughts exactly. Maafala can't be foolish enough, I hope, to throw his skill starters into the Kahuku fire; he's got St Louis next week. I think it's safe to assume that Kahuku is big and physical, as usual. If I were Maafala, I wouldn't even play Bartley and Ah Yat. Start Apao and Mahiai, but pull them after the first half. I think Kamehameha needs all four (Bartley, Mahiai, Ah Yat, and Apao) against St Louis. Can't risk exposing them to injury. I suspect Kahuku will be the ones doing all the pent-up hitting: 1.) This is the first "game" of any kind they've played, and they must be itching to hit guys from a different school, for a change. 2.) Since Kamehameha is ranked #1, they have a big bull's-eye on their backs, and Kahuku is surely determined to hit the target, literally.
Kahuku is in the Top 5, so they must feel that being #1 is within their range, especially now that St Louis has been beaten by another Hawaii school. Surely, Kahuku would like to say, "We beat #1 Kamehameha, even it was only a controlled scrimmage". Kamehameha needs to flip Kahuku off, in that regard. Kamehameha can't be determined to win the scrimmage at all costs. If Kahuku wins it, so what? It's only a controlled scrimmage. Kahuku might try to play this thing up, hype it. Kamehameha needs to shrug its shoulders and say, "Whatever". The time to get all-out physical with Kahuku--and Kamehameha has the size to do it--is in States. Kahuku is virtually a lock to get to States; Kamehameha isn't. For Kamehameha, it's put one foot ahead of the other, take one ILH game at a time; don't look past the next ILH school. I don't think pollsters will demote Kamehameha just because they lose to Kahuku in a controlled scrimmage.
The scrimmage was held yesterday, I think. It probably didn’t receive any media coverage because it was only a scrimmage with no meaningful results. The format was supposed to be starters play the first half, backups play the second half.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka: I thought the scrimmage was today?

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:35 pm @ChadFukuoka: I thought the scrimmage was today?
Was it? I thought the date was supposed to be October 8, which was yesterday. Either way, I don’t think there will be any significant reporting of it. The only thing that might be reported is if unfortunately someone does get injured.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka: Well, after all, it's only a scrimmage. Yes, it involves two schools in the Top 5, but it's still a scrimmage.

NorthEast
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by NorthEast »

@ChadFukuoka @HS Football Fanatic the scrimmage was earlier tonight. Kahuku won the scrimmage 33-0. It was on livestream.com

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@NorthEast: Well, that's bad news for Kamehameha. I mean, it's OK to lose a scrimmage, but by that much? I hope Kamehameha didn't suffer any injuries to starters, in addition. That would be doubly sucky. And, now the question arises: How does the #1-ranked school in the state, lose 33-0 to another Hawaii school? Kamehameha HC Maafala might have some 'splaining to do.

NorthEast
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by NorthEast »

@HS Football Fanatic there wasn’t any significant injuries. I’m not familiar with whose the starters for kamehameha are, but they didn’t look like a #1 ranked team on either side of the ball. Kahuku moved the ball at will on offense. Looks like kahuku has a well balanced team this year on offense! Defense looks solid as always they picked Kam off a few times. Can’t wait to see a full on game they look like they’re ready and hungry!

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Right, it's just a scrimmage. Beneficial to both teams. Forgot that Coach Reggie Torres was asst.AD at Kamehameha. That guy is pure success when it comes to football. Too bad for DOE.
Anyway, great work for Kamehameha back ups. This would be needed for the future.