Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by unpaid »

It’s game week!

I’m picking,

Punahou over Kailua
Campbell over Waipahu. Update.Canceled due to Covid. Interleague game that won’t be rescheduled.
Kapolei over Castle
Leilehua over Aiea. Update.Canceled due to Covid. Interlegue game that won’t be rescheduled.
Mililani over Kamehameha I know the game is canceled due to Covid but this is my pick in case Kamehameha pulls a Nick Saban and gets through quarantine in record time. Not likely.Open Division game that will have to be rescheduled or forfeited.

Iolani over Kaiser
Damien over Radford
Moanalua over Pearl City

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Having checked our schedule, our floor should be 6-5 or 7-4. Which would be a great first-year record for Nate Kia.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I would doubt the ILH is going to have any thing more than glorified scrimmages this year the way things are going. Football got canceled for public schools last year and the private schools eventually did the same but did have scrimmages. So fast forward a year,2021 and the DOE has again postponed football/all other fall sports . ILH probably gonna wind up postponing their games too , but try to hold club scrimmages.Meanwhile , our best athletes are gonna go mainland. Even St.Louis is gonna suffer now. Who is gonna want to be one of 300 football student athletes who are going to have two years of no athletic competition in school?

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

unpaid wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:26 pm I would doubt the ILH is going to have any thing more than glorified scrimmages this year the way things are going. Football got canceled for public schools last year and the private schools eventually did the same but did have scrimmages. So fast forward a year,2021 and the DOE has again postponed football/all other fall sports . ILH probably gonna wind up postponing their games too , but try to hold club scrimmages.Meanwhile , our best athletes are gonna go mainland. Even St.Louis is gonna suffer now. Who is gonna want to be one of 300 football student athletes who are going to have two years of no athletic competition in school?
I don’t see how the full schedule of games can be played if the postponement is until late September. Football fields are also used for soccer, which is a winter sport. Will football be a spring sport, like how many mainland states did last season? If not, it looks like a shortened schedule with no state finals. Before the schedule came out, and before this postponement, there wasn’t even an agreed upon site to host the state championship games.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

The delta variant is kicking our butts here on Oahu. As far as high school sports are concerned, we need to bite the bullet and cancel all sports during first semester. Then, when second semester starts, run the same sports as last school year: Cheerleading, boys' and girls' volleyball, softball, baseball and track. Do the exact same thing as was done last school year. COVID cases were going down until the delta variant started screwing things up in July. Did you guys know the city of Chicago put Hawaii on its COVID travel advisory list? That means Chicago residents who visited Hawaii are being advised to quarantine when they return. As far as I know, that's the first time since the pandemic began last year that any city or state has advised its residents to quarantine after visiting Hawaii. That's what the delta variant has done to us. And we on Oahu should keep in mind that we have far more COVID cases than any of the other islands. God knows when this COVID nightmare is going to end. How bad do things have to get?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Friday scores,

DOE 1, Hawaii Public Schools 0* ffd😀

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I know they beat us in 2014 and have an Iolani graduate as HC, but man do I feel for Mililani having its Mater Dei game cancelled. Even if Mater Dei beat them 63-21, it would've been a benefit for Mililani.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:44 pm I know they beat us in 2014 and have an Iolani graduate as HC, but man do I feel for Mililani having its Mater Dei game cancelled. Even if Mater Dei beat them 63-21, it would've been a benefit for Mililani.
@gopunahou: But why would that be a benefit? That's humiliation, if the score were something like that. I mean, it's easy for Mililani High or any other school to whip-up a gung ho spirit, but when you play a school like Mater Dei High, you're going to take a smackdown. Would Mililani alumni really want to see their alma mater get smoked?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:13 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:44 pm I know they beat us in 2014 and have an Iolani graduate as HC, but man do I feel for Mililani having its Mater Dei game cancelled. Even if Mater Dei beat them 63-21, it would've been a benefit for Mililani.
@gopunahou: But why would that be a benefit? That's humiliation, if the score were something like that. I mean, it's easy for Mililani High or any other school to whip-up a gung ho spirit, but when you play a school like Mater Dei High, you're going to take a smackdown. Would Mililani alumni really want to see their alma mater get smoked?
There was one year where St. Louis played defending CIF champion St John Bosco and lost by 50. They almost beat us for the ILH championship at the end of the year.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Mililani-Mater Dei getting canceled does not surprise me. St.Louis-Bishop Gorman eventually being canceled would not surprise me either.

Mililani was told they could not hold practices a little over a month before the Mater Dei game.So,they did not have a full summer camp and all of the games they were going to play into early October have been postponed. There was no way Mililani was going to go into a game with a fully prepared, high profile opponent when the Trojans got suspended from organized full team practices and sanctioned games almost five weeks before said game was going to happen.

As for BG vs STL, That one Is probably toast too. I know Coach Look is saying that the ILH is looking at a league only schedule but, that is what he said last year. After making that pronouncement, the ILH league admins canceled their season but did hold scrimmages in spring. You could figure that the ILH is going to postpone their season until the public schools get the go ahead from the DOE to resume football/all other fall sports in late September.

We will see.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

At this point, senior players should be at least putting out feelers this weekend for potential transfer out of state. Utah, Nevada, Washington, Arizona and California. Start making contacts and calling relatives. After the "school" numbers come in for covid, and if it stays high, HS principals and leaders will crumble.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:20 pm
There was one year where St. Louis played defending CIF champion St John Bosco and lost by 50. They almost beat us for the ILH championship at the end of the year.
@gopunahou: OK, but they still lost the title. How much better did St Louis become as a result of the St John Bosco game? They still lost to Punahou. And guys could now say, "Not only did they lose to Punahou; they also were blown-out by St John Bosco." Seems to me that as far as St Louis is concerned, the benefits of the St John Bosco game were exceeded by the costs.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:12 am Just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Mililani-Mater Dei getting canceled does not surprise me. St.Louis-Bishop Gorman eventually being canceled would not surprise me either.

Mililani was told they could not hold practices a little over a month before the Mater Dei game.So,they did not have a full summer camp and all of the games they were going to play into early October have been postponed. There was no way Mililani was going to go into a game with a fully prepared, high profile opponent when the Trojans got suspended from organized full team practices and sanctioned games almost five weeks before said game was going to happen.

As for BG vs STL, That one Is probably toast too. I know Coach Look is saying that the ILH is looking at a league only schedule but, that is what he said last year. After making that pronouncement, the ILH league admins canceled their season but did hold scrimmages in spring. You could figure that the ILH is going to postpone their season until the public schools get the go ahead from the DOE to resume football/all other fall sports in late September.

We will see.
@unpaid: Agree. I think the ILH would be foolish to stick its neck out when the OIA is playing it safe. But then again, the ILH did stick its neck out this past school year: Only the ILH had a cheerleading championship and girls' volleyball. The OIA had neither.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:29 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:20 pm

@gopunahou: OK, but they still lost the title. How much better did St Louis become as a result of the St John Bosco game? They still lost to Punahou. And guys could now say, "Not only did they lose to Punahou; they also were blown-out by St John Bosco." Seems to me that as far as St Louis is concerned, the benefits of the St John Bosco game were exceeded by the costs.
By the time the season ended, that St. Louis team improved by leaps and bounds.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

To beat the best,you have to play the best.Take your lumps early ,but keep adjusting and studying the opponent until you break through and win. Liberty spent ten years losing to Bishop Gorman when the Gaels won two mythical national titles and ten Nevada state titles. In 2019,Liberty finally beat BG in a state semifinal game before going on to win a state crown the next week. That never happens if Liberty gave up and said we can’t beat Bishop Gorman, they’re just too good.