Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by EITSwarrior »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:30 pm @gopunahou:

How many of those turnovers were forced? I.e., how many were "punch-outs" by Kahuku defenders? And even INTs, unless Bianco threw it directly at a Kahuku DB, well, that's just good coverage by those DBs.

This may surprise you, but I'm almost feeling sorry for St Louis alumni. Not because the Saints lost, but because of the lopsided score. I mean, if they had lost, say, 49-42, I wouldn't feel too sorry for them. But at 49-14, well, that's devastating. And, don't get me started on how Lahainaluna alumni must feel.
As a St Louis alum, I'd rather lose in a blow out like we did versus losing by 1 point cause a missed field goal at the last second like we did against Kahuku in 2003. That was devastating to see from the stands.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

TheNewNORM wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:40 am
gopunahou wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:57 pm Not everyone is a Kahuku fan, but you gotta feel good for them. And if I were a Kahuku fan, I'd dedicate this championship to Kona Schwenke, Pele Leiataua, Tommy Heffernan, Sr., Waika Carvalho, and David Vimahi. All cherished late members of the Kahuku ohana.
Nicely said.
Kahuku also lost two other assistants--Matt Faga and Maui Kahalepuna. That's a lot of losses over the last five years, so gotta feel good that they won and scratched a six-year itch.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

How many of those turnovers were forced? I.e., how many were "punch-outs" by Kahuku defenders? And even INTs, unless Bianco threw it directly at a Kahuku DB, well, that's just good coverage by those DBs.

This may surprise you, but I'm almost feeling sorry for St Louis alumni. Not because the Saints lost, but because of the lopsided score. I mean, if they had lost, say, 49-42, I wouldn't feel too sorry for them. But at 49-14, well, that's devastating. And, don't get me started on how Lahainaluna alumni must feel.
I think getting lopsided is humbling. The last 2019 Open was a humbling 45-6 lost for Kahuku at the hands of a star studded St.Louis team. I saw a lot of class coming from St.Louis players as they stood at mid field applauding the Kahuku team for taking the Koa back. You can see they knew St.Louis will be back.

When Covid is managed and this get back to business as usual, hopefully everyone gets to plays in the same time period and the crossover ILH/OIA comes back. As much as I have said the OIA has enough teams to go independent, I feel for teams like Pac5 and Damien. They need to play. Even the ILH Open was crazy with StL. Kam playing 4 times. So for the benefit of all Hawaii HS football and players, the OIA and ILH needs to merge. It would probably be great if an outer island team could come over and play mid season. More looks for all levels of hs football concerning scholarships or walking opportunities. From the 375lbs. behemoths in the Open to the 120 lbs. players in the D2, all these guys strap it up daily, our sons, grandsons,nephews, neighbors. All we can do is support them and pray for their safety. It's a great start for these young men, our Sons of Hawaii.

Merry Christmas my friends.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

EITSwarrior wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:28 pm

This may surprise you, but I'm almost feeling sorry for St Louis alumni. Not because the Saints lost, but because of the lopsided score. I mean, if they had lost, say, 49-42, I wouldn't feel too sorry for them. But at 49-14, well, that's devastating. And, don't get me started on how Lahainaluna alumni must feel., a
As a St Louis alum, I'd rather lose in a blow out like we did versus losing by 1 point cause a missed field goal at the last second like we did against Kahuku in 2003. That was devastating to see from the stands.
Merry Christmas all, though Christmas is almost over.

@EITSwarrior:

I supported Kahuku High, but not due to any strong dislike of St Louis School; I mean, I resented their football dominance, but that was it.
Right now I'm not gloating over their margin of defeat or anything. Right now I have no negative feelings toward St Louis School.
The school I'm more upset with is Iolani School. I dislike that school more than St Louis School, believe me. I resent that they won, and I also resent the score.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheNewNORM wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:24 am

I think getting lopsided is humbling. The last 2019 Open was a humbling 45-6 lost for Kahuku at the hands of a star studded St.Louis team. I saw a lot of class coming from St.Louis players as they stood at mid field applauding the Kahuku team for taking the Koa back. You can see they knew St.Louis will be back.

When Covid is managed and this get back to business as usual, hopefully everyone gets to plays in the same time period and the crossover ILH/OIA comes back. As much as I have said the OIA has enough teams to go independent, I feel for teams like Pac5 and Damien. They need to play. Even the ILH Open was crazy with StL. Kam playing 4 times. So for the benefit of all Hawaii HS football and players, the OIA and ILH needs to merge. It would probably be great if an outer island team could come over and play mid season. More looks for all levels of hs football concerning scholarships or walking opportunities. From the 375lbs. behemoths in the Open to the 120 lbs. players in the D2, all these guys strap it up daily, our sons, grandsons,nephews, neighbors. All we can do is support them and pray for their safety. It's a great start for these young men, our Sons of Hawaii.

Merry Christmas my friends.
@TheNewNORM:

Just a thought: Not all D2 players are small. Look at Kamehameha - Maui and Kapaa. Those two schools have O-lines and RBs that are almost as big as those found in Open.

Gridiron88
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Gridiron88 »

Kahuku’s win proves that you don’t have to go to St. Louis to get recognized or to play for a championship team! Let December 23, 2021 be a lesson parents and kids!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@Gridiron88:

Oh, absolutely. They can attend not only Kahuku High, but Mililani High or Kamehameha Schools (if they have Hawaiian blood). Mililani lost to St Louis by only 2 points, and Mililani is also JV champs, so they're looking like they'll be decent next season. Kamehameha beat St Louis twice.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:27 pm @Gridiron88:

Oh, absolutely. They can attend not only Kahuku High, but Mililani High or Kamehameha Schools (if they have Hawaiian blood). Mililani lost to St Louis by only 2 points, and Mililani is also JV champs, so they're looking like they'll be decent next season. Kamehameha beat St Louis twice.
You can get recruited at any high school, whether the team is good or not. You definitely need to play for an elite team to win a championship though.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, by "elite team", I take it that you're referring to Kahuku, Mililani, Kamehameha, and Punahou (in addition to St Louis). However, I don't think you can count-out schools like Campbell, Waianae, and Kapolei. Those three schools seem to be on the cusp of "eliteness". Ironically, Waianae was an elite team back in the mid-'70s to mid-'80s, no doubt. But, it lost that status by the time the early-'90s rolled around. We should note, however, that they did make it all the way to the D1 State title game back in 2013. Apparently that was a flash in the pan.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:45 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Well, by "elite team", I take it that you're referring to Kahuku, Mililani, Kamehameha, and Punahou (in addition to St Louis). However, I don't think you can count-out schools like Campbell, Waianae, and Kapolei. Those three schools seem to be on the cusp of "eliteness". Ironically, Waianae was an elite team back in the mid-'70s to mid-'80s, no doubt. But, it lost that status by the time the early-'90s rolled around. We should note, however, that they did make it all the way to the D1 State title game back in 2013. Apparently that was a flash in the pan.
Waianae improved a lot this year. Campbell has been the third best OIA team for the last few years. They just can’t beat Kahuku or Mililani, but beat the teams they should.

I’ve wondered why Kapolei hasn’t really risen to the top of the OIA. They have a decent coach in Darren Hernandez, who seems to have a ton of college connections. I say that because it seems like a ton of Kapolei players get mainland scholarships, despite the team usually finishing only middle of the pack. It seems like a lot of homegrown Kapolei kids want to play for Hernandez. They aren’t, or it doesn’t seems like they are being recruited by the ILH schools. So I wonder why they haven’t really had a OIA title run. Is it because of Kahuku’s size and usually strong rushing attack, Mililani’s recruiting? Is a program like Mililani, or Waianae, poaching kids away from Kapolei?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, Waianae, Campbell, and Kapolei were decent in Open. Regarding Kapolei, some guys on this message-board blame HC Hernandez, but I'm not sure he's totally responsible. I think he's a decent coach; I don't think he sucks as a coach. The thing about Kapolei High is that they're almost always good enough that players in its geographic area usually aren't in a hurry to transfer to other schools. So, why haven't they beaten Kahuku? Well, I don't think it's lack of size; Kapolei usually has a thick O-line. I haven't heard of other schools recruiting Kapolei players. What I have noticed is that kids at that school tend to lack player discipline. Sometimes their football players don't always keep themselves under control, and look how out-of-hand some of the players on the boys' soccer team were a couple of years ago; the game was on TV. That, and sometimes the football players, give the impression that Kapolei High kids have attitude.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:32 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:45 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Waianae improved a lot this year. Campbell has been the third best OIA team for the last few years. They just can’t beat Kahuku or Mililani, but beat the teams they should.

I’ve wondered why Kapolei hasn’t really risen to the top of the OIA. They have a decent coach in Darren Hernandez, who seems to have a ton of college connections. I say that because it seems like a ton of Kapolei players get mainland scholarships, despite the team usually finishing only middle of the pack. It seems like a lot of homegrown Kapolei kids want to play for Hernandez. They aren’t, or it doesn’t seems like they are being recruited by the ILH schools. So I wonder why they haven’t really had a OIA title run. Is it because of Kahuku’s size and usually strong rushing attack, Mililani’s recruiting? Is a program like Mililani, or Waianae, poaching kids away from Kapolei?
I guess the OIA has a "transfer portal" that is very lenient. I remember a good DT Faumui that started a Radford, played at Kapolei then at Mililani. Plus they are a lot of inter transfers between Mililani Campbell and Kapolei. Coach Hernandez just seem to not get over the hump. Of course hes best team was when Taulia Tagovailoa played.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@TheNewNORM:

Yeah; some guys on this thread think Hernandez isn't a good coach because he hasn't gotten a title yet despite all the talent and size his teams seem to have every year. But, that doesn't mean he sucks. Actually, I think Kapolei has more size than talent, and there's only so much a coach can do with that. I think his day will come; I think one of these years things will break the Hurricanes' way.

OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by OldManJenkins »

I feel so sorry for this KS Maui team...
i think this Kapaa team would blow up Iolani, but check their birth certificates first! These guys look like college guys.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Kapaa 38-0 halftime. This will be the first state championship for the island of Kauai. Kapaa with 5 touchdowns, 4 two point conversions. I’m assuming they don’t have a reliable place kicker, and just go for two every time.