Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:04 am gopunahou,

I corrected my oversight on picks and added Kamehameha over St.Louis to this weeks pick list. Thanks.

Kamehameha can win the ILH title and state playoff slot outright with a win against St.Louis this weekend.That’s plenty of motivation for me if I’m a Warrior.
@unpaid:

Unfortunately, if you're a Crusader, you have even more motivation: If you don't win, your season is over. I'm glad you've picked Kamehameha Schools to win, as I like that school. But, I have my doubts. Like, how did St Louis manage to rock Punahou, 35-0? Yes, Punahou LB Tafiti was out, so that probably explains the 35. But how do we explain the zero? The fact that St Louis' D pitched a shutout must be very concerning for Kamehameha's OC. When was the last time Punahou got shut-out? I have a terrible feeling Kamehameha will lose. They might not lose by 35, but a loss is still a loss; doesn't matter. The only way I see Kamehameha winning is if their entire O plays like guys possessed. Honestly. The O-line and RB Bartley have to play like wild-eyed demons. Meanwhile, their defensive front-seven have to come after St Louis QB Bianco with their ears pinned-back. They're going to have to simply unload on him, whether he throws the ball, or tucks it in and runs. Like, maximum impact. As Larry Price would say, they need to make a lot of katooshes. If they can somehow get in Bianco's head, that's more than half the battle.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Attendance????

Post by TheNewNORM »

This is soooooo confusing. So is the Aloha Stadium open for StLouis/Kamehameha fans? Why cant the same rules at UH carry over to Aloha Stadium? Also these questions should be answered before OIA finals and States. Who is in charge? And bottle water can be consume but not bottle juice? What about vaccination cards? Some high school kids opt out of that. Can a student use a covid negative test to get in?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@TheNewNORM:

I think Blangiardi's new policies don't take effect until next week Wednesday, so I'm assuming fans still won't be permitted at tomorrow night's game.

As for some students opting-out of vax cards, well, that's part of the price of opting-out.

I'm assuming everyone at high school games have to have been vaccinated. I don't think proof of a negative test will suffice.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:24 pm @TheNewNORM:

I think Blangiardi's new policies don't take effect until next week Wednesday, so I'm assuming fans still won't be permitted at tomorrow night's game. While some fans have been permitted at school-stadium games, no fans will be allowed at Aloha Stadium tomorrow night.

As for some students opting-out of vax cards, well, that's part of the price of opting-out.

I'm assuming everyone at high school games have to have been vaccinated. I don't think proof of a negative test will suffice.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:24 pm @TheNewNORM:

I think Blangiardi's new policies don't take effect until next week Wednesday, so I'm assuming fans still won't be permitted at tomorrow night's game.

As for the students opting out, it would be really unfortunate if it was the parents that didn’t allow their child to be vaccinated, and therefore missing out on this season, rather than the child voluntarily choosing not to do so. Who knows whether any of them who are not vaccinated necessarily hold the same beliefs as their parents?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

And, you figure teens who aren't vaccinated could be shedding the virus to other students, as well as teachers. After all, those unvaccinated teens could be infected, but asymptomatic for a time.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:04 pm @ChadFukuoka:

And, you figure teens who aren't vaccinated could be shedding the virus to other students, as well as teachers. After all, those unvaccinated teens could be infected, but asymptomatic for a time.
But that's even more confusing is that to attend State school, you don't need a vac card. Your confine to a close indoor room, which is more dangerous than "open space". Plus an outdoor has lots of room for safe distance. I meant your a senior you can't walk out to the field and watch a friday game? Sad. Hopefully Dec can open more.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

TheNewNORM wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:43 pm

But that's even more confusing is that to attend State school, you don't need a vac card. Your confine to a close indoor room, which is more dangerous than "open space". Plus an outdoor has lots of room for safe distance. I meant your a senior you can't walk out to the field and watch a friday game? Sad. Hopefully Dec can open more.
I’d hope once every age group (even 6 months to 2 years of age) is approved for the vaccine, we can remove all restrictions. There will always be a small minority who will never get vaxed, but if everyone has the opportunity to do so, there should be a return to normalcy. Hopefully by early next year, our daily case numbers will be lower, maybe in the low double digits daily for Oahu.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Fans remained banned from Aloha stadium because of safety concerns. The facility is condemned. Lifting Covid restrictions will not have any effect on a ban on fans in the stands there. Bad for the ILH.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:51 pm

I’d hope once every age group (even 6 months to 2 years of age) is approved for the vaccine, we can remove all restrictions. There will always be a small minority who will never get vaxed, but if everyone has the opportunity to do so, there should be a return to normalcy. Hopefully by early next year, our daily case numbers will be lower, maybe in the low double digits daily for Oahu.
@ChadFukuoka:

My understanding is there can't be "a return to normalcy" unless 80% of the population is vaccinated; that's what it will take to achieve "herd immunity". But, it's unlikely we'll reach 80%; that's just too high, unfortunately.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:16 am Fans remained banned from Aloha stadium because of safety concerns. The facility is condemned. Lifting Covid restrictions will not have any effect on a ban on fans in the stands there. Bad for the ILH.
@unpaid:

Well, the ILH season might end tonight, anyway, if Kamehameha wins. But, I'm assuming that the State semifinal and championship games will be at Aloha, right? Would it be possible to have them at UH?

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:37 am
unpaid wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:16 am Fans remained banned from Aloha stadium because of safety concerns. The facility is condemned. Lifting Covid restrictions will not have any effect on a ban on fans in the stands there. Bad for the ILH.
@unpaid:

Well, the ILH season might end tonight, anyway, if Kamehameha wins. But, I'm assuming that the State semifinal and championship games will be at Aloha, right? Would it be possible to have them at UH?
It might be possible to have them at TC Ching field, if UH’s football season and the Hawaii Bowl will be done by then.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:34 am
ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:51 pm

@ChadFukuoka:

My understanding is there can't be "a return to normalcy" unless 80% of the population is vaccinated; that's what it will take to achieve "herd immunity". But, it's unlikely we'll reach 80%; that's just too high, unfortunately.
Not necessarily. As of today, our overall fully vaccinated rate is 71.2%. When you include those who only have their first dose and will get their second, and the under 12 age groups who will be approved shortly, we probably will hit over 80% fully vaccinated. From then, it’s a matter of our case counts dropping enough that the virus is less of a threat to the general public.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, let's hope so. My understanding is that's the only way to put this pandemic behind us: 80% fully-vaccinated.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Right. The Covid situation and the Stadium remake will take years to accomplish. We know how this State operates. The ILH will need to think hard about procuring a Stadium to host their ILH games. In my opinion, a program like St.Louis should have spent money to accomplish it. Go to the Catholic schools like St.John Bosco, Servite, Mater Dei and Bishop Gorman. Parking, field, facilities are top notch. How much is the ILH paying Aloha Stadium this year? So yeah, bad for the ILH in years to come.