Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
ChadFukuoka
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:15 pm

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by ChadFukuoka »

TheNewNORM wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:47 pm Why? Because the first meeting was at Punahou, 90 degree, hot afternoon, blinding sun. Plus Pun is behind the 8 ball.
What’s weird is that Punahou wanted the game at that time, on their home field. If it was a strategic decision, it didn’t seem to give them an advantage.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3763
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

TheNewNORM wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:47 pm Why? Because the first meeting was at Punahou, 90 degree, hot afternoon, blinding sun. Plus Pun is behind the 8 ball.
@TheNewNORM: But didn't the 90-degree heat and blinding sun affect the Saints equally? And, shouldn't the Puns have had a home-field advantage?
Also, the Puns might not be as much behind the 8-ball as we might think; after all, there's the ILH tourney coming up. It's not just this second round and that's it.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3763
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:40 pm
TheNewNORM wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:47 pm Why? Because the first meeting was at Punahou, 90 degree, hot afternoon, blinding sun. Plus Pun is behind the 8 ball.
What’s weird is that Punahou wanted the game at that time, on their home field. If it was a strategic decision, it didn’t seem to give them an advantage.


@ChadFukuoka: Apparently the Puns were thinking home-field advantage. Plus, their cheerleaders and band were there. Frankly, I don't think the Saints gave a hoot. They probably said to themselves: We don't care what field it is, and we're going to block-out their cheerleaders and band from our minds. We refuse to by psyched-out by such distractions; we're going to focus on what's happening on the field, we're going to execute our game plan, and we're determined to win. And, win they did.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3405
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by gopunahou »

Believe it or not, day is the only time that games can take place on our field.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3763
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@gopunahou: Well, that's true. That's because Punahou School's stadium doesn't have lights. Same for Iolani School's stadium.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3405
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:31 pm @gopunahou: Well, that's true. That's because Punahou School's stadium doesn't have lights. Same for Iolani School's stadium.
Iolani wrote an article explaining why they don't install lights. The article made the mistake of thinking we are like Kamehameha and play games at night. Fact is, we never have and don't install lights for the same reason Iolani refuses.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

TheNewNORM
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:39 am

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by TheNewNORM »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:51 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:31 pm @gopunahou: Well, that's true. That's because Punahou School's stadium doesn't have lights. Same for Iolani School's stadium.
Iolani wrote an article explaining why they don't install lights. The article made the mistake of thinking we are like Kamehameha and play games at night. Fact is, we never have and don't install lights for the same reason Iolani refuses.
I dont think any area of Honolulu can support a night venue without some NB drama.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3763
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@gopunahou: Apparently Kamehameha Schools didn't get the memo. Actually, that school has had a stadium, with lights, since at least the mid-'70s. But, they never had night games there. It wasn't until they totally renovated the stadium in 2012 or so, that they started having night games there.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3763
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

TheNewNORM wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:09 am
gopunahou wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:51 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:31 pm @gopunahou: Well, that's true. That's because Punahou School's stadium doesn't have lights. Same for Iolani School's stadium.
Iolani wrote an article explaining why they don't install lights. The article made the mistake of thinking we are like Kamehameha and play games at night. Fact is, we never have and don't install lights for the same reason Iolani refuses.
I dont think any area of Honolulu can support a night venue without some NB drama.
@TheNewNORM: What's "NB"?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3405
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:52 pm @gopunahou: Apparently Kamehameha Schools didn't get the memo. Actually, that school has had a stadium, with lights, since at least the mid-'70s. But, they never had night games there. It wasn't until they totally renovated the stadium in 2012 or so, that they started having night games there.
They did have night games when the stadium opened in 2002.

I think KSK can play night games because the stadium is in an isolated area of Kalihi. We've got people living across the street or near our campus.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:15 pm

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:53 pm
TheNewNORM wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:09 am
gopunahou wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:51 pm
Iolani wrote an article explaining why they don't install lights. The article made the mistake of thinking we are like Kamehameha and play games at night. Fact is, we never have and don't install lights for the same reason Iolani refuses.
I dont think any area of Honolulu can support a night venue without some NB drama.
@TheNewNORM: What's "NB"?
I think it’s neighborhood board.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3763
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:35 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:52 pm @gopunahou: Apparently Kamehameha Schools didn't get the memo. Actually, that school has had a stadium, with lights, since at least the mid-'70s. But, they never had night games there. It wasn't until they totally renovated the stadium in 2012 or so, that they started having night games there.
They did have night games when the stadium opened in 2002.

I think KSK can play night games because the stadium is in an isolated area of Kalihi. We've got people living across the street or near our campus.
@gopunahou: Oh, it opened that long ago? Crap, I was like ten years off.
Well, you can't get more isolated than Kamehameha Schools. They're on the top of Kapalama Heights, with no one (except the school's boarders) living anywhere near their stadium.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3763
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:42 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:53 pm
TheNewNORM wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:09 am
I dont think any area of Honolulu can support a night venue without some NB drama.
@TheNewNORM: What's "NB"?
I think it’s neighborhood board.
@ChadFukuoka: Oh, yeah, you're probably right. Iolani School is right next to the Royal Iolani twin condo towers, and the residents of those towers raised a big stink back in the '80s about noise coming from the school. They even complained about the band practicing for football halftime performances. McKinley High more recently ran into conflict with the Moana Pacific twin condo towers, which are right across the street from the school's new football field, which was completed only about three or four years ago. McKinley High wanted to have a lit stadium and night games at the field, but Moana Pacific residents complained that there'd be on-street parking issues. To this day, McKinley High doesn't have a lit stadium, and has no night games.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3405
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:08 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:42 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:53 pm

@TheNewNORM: What's "NB"?
I think it’s neighborhood board.
@ChadFukuoka: Oh, yeah, you're probably right. Iolani School is right next to the Royal Iolani twin condo towers, and the residents of those towers raised a big stink back in the '80s about noise coming from the school. They even complained about the band practicing for football halftime performances. McKinley High more recently ran into conflict with the Moana Pacific twin condo towers, which are right across the street from the school's new football field, which was completed only about three or four years ago. McKinley High wanted to have a lit stadium and night games at the field, but Moana Pacific residents complained that there'd be on-street parking issues. To this day, McKinley High doesn't have a lit stadium, and has no night games.
Believe me, for many reasons, I'd love to see Punahou play night games. I also know the reasons behind it not happening. However, I don't understand how Castle and Mililani can play night games while we can't.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:15 pm

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:57 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:08 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:42 pm

I think it’s neighborhood board.
@ChadFukuoka: Oh, yeah, you're probably right. Iolani School is right next to the Royal Iolani twin condo towers, and the residents of those towers raised a big stink back in the '80s about noise coming from the school. They even complained about the band practicing for football halftime performances. McKinley High more recently ran into conflict with the Moana Pacific twin condo towers, which are right across the street from the school's new football field, which was completed only about three or four years ago. McKinley High wanted to have a lit stadium and night games at the field, but Moana Pacific residents complained that there'd be on-street parking issues. To this day, McKinley High doesn't have a lit stadium, and has no night games.
Believe me, for many reasons, I'd love to see Punahou play night games. I also know the reasons behind it not happening. However, I don't understand how Castle and Mililani can play night games while we can't.
Most of the OIA schools have lights. Aiea, Leilehua, Campbell, Pearl City, Waipahu, Kapolei, Kaiser, Roosevelt, Kailua, Kahuku, Farrington all have lights. I think McKinley might be the only OIA school with their own field that doesn’t have lights. I can’t think of any others.

Post Reply