Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@TheNewNORM:

Oh, OK. I get the impression that many guys lump Palama in with Kalihi. I remember, too, the old Kenny's radio ads, when it was located in Kam Shopping Center. Is that shopping center in Kapalama, for example? The ad went, "Treat your friends at Kenny's, in the Kam Shopping Center in Kalihi" (italics mine). I'm assuming the shopping center is named after Kamehameha Schools, which is located in Kapalama Heights, and overlooks the shopping center. Did the ad lump Kapalama in with Kalihi? Apparently, TV sportscasters are lumping Kapalama in with Kalihi, too. Assuming that Kapalama Heights is located in Kapalama, regardless: When Kamehameha played Farrington in interleague Open play prior to the pandemic, TV sportscasters said the game was also for Kalihi bragging rights.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Iolani-Radford game canceled according to Scoring Live. I wonder what the reason was. Radford was already on their bye week from OIA D2 play.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

My immediate hunch is that one or both of the teams had players with COVID.

OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by OldManJenkins »

Radford canceled game because they didn't want to risk injury since they are in the hunt for div champs and Kaiser game coming up. Iolani is nuts for scheduling so many games, I wonder what Look is thinking? The ILH has been going non-stop since Summer ball, wouldn't he want to let his team rest and recover like Saint Louis.

Isn't Kam shopping center basically on Kalihi St??? There is a little reprieve where it meets up with Likelike

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

If injury risk is indeed Radford's reason for cancelling against Iolani, the huge Iolani backers must find that insulting. They always claim that they are the ones at injury risk when facing top-tier OIA D1 teams. That's the reason they won't play us, even though they ought to for rivalry's sake.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

OldManJenkins wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:43 pm
Isn't Kam shopping center basically on Kalihi St??? There is a little reprieve where it meets up with Likelike
Okay, so Kamehameha School is actually Alewa heights. So Kenny's, "In the Kam Shopping Center, in Kalihi" jingle is part of Kalihi. Ka as in Kalihi and Palama is combine as Kapalama. Kapalama canal all the way up Alewa height separate the school district of Farrington and McKinley. With 8 public housing, 6 in Kalihi and 2 in Palama, boundries are set early in life. Crossing over are not allowed. KPT was my stomping ground in 1964.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Picks this week,

Mililani over Campbell
Konawaena over Hilo
Kamehameha-Maui over Kekaulike
Aiea over Kailua
Nanakuli over Waialua
Pearl city over McKinley
Kaiser over Kaimuki
Lahainaluna over Baldwin
Kahuku over Waianae
Kamehameha-Hawaii over Honokaa
Hawaii Prep over Kau
Waimea over Kauai
Roosevelt over Waipahu
Kalani over Kalaheo

11-4 on picks last week. 102-21 season to date.

I would not criticize a coach for trying to schedule a ten game regular season for his players. The fact is that Hawaii players are falling behind their mainland counterparts in terms of player development. The same could be said for California and Nevada players as well. Hawaii players did not have any games in 2020. In 2021 most teams played from 5-6 games. While most players on the mainland continued with full schedules last year and this year , our kids have lost around fifteen weeks of games and practices over the last two years, probably more.

I follow recruiting,and what I’ve seen happen this year makes me worry about Hawaii getting looked over in terms of college opportunities. Before the pandemic, 247sports by December would be up to over 3,000 players evaluated.I was updating Hawaii kids who were added to their recruit rankings until late in the season.

This year, December 3,247 has only evaluated 1,878 players.Unlike previous years,No Hawaii players have been added to the rankings since the 7on7,camps,and combines season ended in late summer just before school started. They had no chance to put together a highlight reel last year,and this year,unless your on a playoff team, you only had five or six games to build a tape to send out to colleges.

My guess is that Covid could have the DOE doing league only games next year too until states.We’ve seen that means fewer games and practices for player development. I think better players will continue to go to the mainland because they will be able to play a ten game season plus playoff games. That compares better to staying in Hawaii and playing six games a year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

OldManJenkins wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:43 pm Radford canceled game because they didn't want to risk injury since they are in the hunt for div champs and Kaiser game coming up. Iolani is nuts for scheduling so many games, I wonder what Look is thinking? The ILH has been going non-stop since Summer ball, wouldn't he want to let his team rest and recover like Saint Louis.

@OldManJenkins:

Yeah, I guess Look wants that D1 State title bad. My hunch is that he's still pissed about the way Iolani lost to Hilo in the last D1 State title game. Plus, he's an alumnus of Iolani School, so I guess that loss affected him even more. And, now he intends to wrest that title back. I think Aiea and Lahainaluna are going to give him trouble; those are the two schools most likely to beat Iolani. Trouble is, the more games Look schedules, the more chances of injury. I suspect the players might be pissed about all the extra games having to be played.

There are obviously different ideas as to what's "Kalihi" and what's not.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:57 am If injury risk is indeed Radford's reason for cancelling against Iolani, the huge Iolani backers must find that insulting. They always claim that they are the ones at injury risk when facing top-tier OIA D1 teams. That's the reason they won't play us, even though they ought to for rivalry's sake.
@gopunahou:

Well, Look is scheduling D1 schools, not Open schools. We really can't expect Iolani to play Punahou; it's too much of a physical mismatch. We can't expect Look to schedule Punahou for rivalry's sake, and he's an Iolani alumnus, too. We can't expect him to risk half his starters getting injured for rivalry's sake.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheNewNORM wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:26 am
OldManJenkins wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:43 pm
Okay, so Kamehameha School is actually Alewa heights. So Kenny's, "In the Kam Shopping Center, in Kalihi" jingle is part of Kalihi. Ka as in Kalihi and Palama is combine as Kapalama. Kapalama canal all the way up Alewa height separate the school district of Farrington and McKinley. With 8 public housing, 6 in Kalihi and 2 in Palama, boundries are set early in life. Crossing over are not allowed. KPT was my stomping ground in 1964.
@TheNewNORM:

Kamehameha Schools is actually Kapalama Heights, but so what. We don't want to split hairs here. Kalihi, Palama, Kapalama. Whatever.

So, KPT was your stamping ground in '64? Then, can we expect that you're in your 70s? Good. It's nice to have older guys like me on these high school sports threads. I'm in my 60s, and from time to time I ask myself what I'm doing on high school sports threads. It's nice to have other "senior" guys as company here.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Updated Top Ten,

1.St.Louis 5-3 DNP
2.Kahuku 7-0 Beat Waianae 33-7.
3.Mililani 5-1 Beat Campbell 42-7
4.Kamehameha 3-3 SO.
5.Iolani 9-0 DNP.
6.Lahainaluna 6-0 Beat Baldwin.Move up one place.
7.Konawaena 6-0 Beat Hilo 13-12.Move up one spot.
8.Campbell 4-3 Lost to Kahuku. Drop down two spots.
9.Moanalua 5-1 DNP.
10.Waianae 3-4 Lost to Kahuku.Drop down one place.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

unpaid wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:45 am Updated Top Ten,

1.St.Louis 5-3 DNP
2.Kahuku 7-0 Beat Waianae 33-7.
3.Mililani 5-1 Beat Campbell 42-7
4.Kamehameha 3-3 SO.
5.Iolani 9-0 DNP.
6.Lahainaluna 6-0 Beat Baldwin.Move up one place.
7.Konawaena 6-0 Beat Hilo 13-12.Move up one spot.
8.Campbell 4-3 Lost to Kahuku. Drop down two spots.
9.Moanalua 5-1 DNP.
10.Waianae 3-4 Lost to Kahuku.Drop down one place.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

I can name 6 teams that Punahou can beat in your top ten.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

TheNewNORM wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:42 am I can name 6 teams that Punahou can beat in your top ten.
Amazing that Kamehameha hasn’t dropped down despite their record. Must be those two wins against SLS.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Punahou stopped playing football around two months ago. I doubt they could beat Any of those six teams if theytried to come back together and play any of them this week after that long of a layoff.Of course, those teams you think they could beat are still playing. Punahou could have scheduled OIA opponents like Iolani,Pac5,and Damien did.....but they canceled the only game they did schedule against Kahuku. They quit after their season was over. Their players are on to their next sport.

St.Louis beat Punahou and Kamehameha twice. The difference is Kamehameha beat St,Louis twice and Punahou didnt even beat the Crusaders once.