Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, Kailua beating Castle was certainly an upset, especially by that 17-point margin. Castle alumni must be especially pissed because, 1.) Again, it was an upset. 2.) It was Castle's homecoming, which of course is for the alumni. 3.) Kailua High is Castle High's biggest rival, and has been for at least 40 years.

I think Roosevelt alumni must be pissed. Roosevelt goes up 21-0, but ends-up losing 27-21? I mean, that sucks. That's unbelievably bad; there's just no other way to describe it. Roosevelt alumni must be mad at the world.

Your alma mater, Aiea High, is totally kicking Waipahu's butts, 38-7. That's wild. Waipahu alumni must be almost as pissed and almost as shocked as Roosevelt alumni. I mean, Waipahu began the season with so much promise, and they were ranked for a time. But the way this game is going, they are circling the toilet bowl. I certainly wasn't expecting this outcome.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:58 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Well, Kailua beating Castle was certainly an upset, especially by that 17-point margin.

I think Roosevelt alumni must be pissed. Roosevelt goes up 21-0, but ends-up losing 27-21? I mean, that sucks. That's unbelievably bad; there's just no other way to describe it. Roosevelt alumni must be mad at the world.

Your alma mater, Aiea, is totally kicking Waipahu's butts, 38-7. That's wild. Waipahu alumni must be almost as pissed and almost as shocked as Roosevelt alumni. I mean, Waipahu began the season with so much promise, and they were ranked for a time. But the way this game is going, they are circling the toilet bowl. I certainly wasn't expecting this outcome.
I just checked on ScoringLive. The score is definitely a pleasant surprise. Can Aiea win the rematch in the D1 title game? That’s what it all comes down to. The season has been great for Aiea fans regardless. It’s too bad for the seniors, they are playing all of their games on the road, as their field/track is under renovation.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, I really don't think Aiea's seniors care about the home field; surely, all they care about is that they're kicking the butts of what was supposed to be a strong school in their division. Besides, let's not forget that some schools don't even have a stadium. Take Kalaheo High, for example. But, I'd bet the seniors on their team are amped that they kicked McKinley High's butts last week. And, McKinley High doesn't have a stadium, either. A stadium is really an unnecessary luxury; winning is what counts. Winning is the great leveler; it has a way of righting all wrongs.

By the way, that 38-7 score is now a final score. Aiea kicked Waipahu's butts by a shocking margin. I'd bet Na Alii feel that they're ready to take-on the world.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:58 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Well, Kailua beating Castle was certainly an upset, especially by that 17-point margin. Castle alumni must be especially pissed because, 1.) Again, it was an upset. 2.) It was Castle's homecoming, which of course is for the alumni. 3.) Kailua High is Castle High's biggest rival, and has been for at least 40 years.

Your alma mater, Aiea High, is totally kicking Waipahu's butts, 38-7. That's wild. Waipahu alumni must be almost as pissed and almost as shocked as Roosevelt alumni. I mean, Waipahu began the season with so much promise, and they were ranked for a time. But the way this game is going, they are circling the toilet bowl. I certainly wasn't expecting this outcome.
According to the game recap on Hawaii Prep World, Moanalua faced a 4th and 22 on their own 8, then completed a 36 yard pass to extend the drive. The next play was the game winning 56 yard pass to win 27-21. So Roosevelt had the game all but sealed, before a couple of miraculous completions by Moanalua.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, that makes it all the more sucky for Roosevelt alumni. I mean, the team had a total collapse, a massive meltdown. How do you go from up 21-0, to losing, 27-21? I mean, that tells the story right there. Obviously, Roosevelt's pass defense sucked massively, surrendering a 36-yd play, then a 56-yd play. Sounds like a living nightmare for the Rough Riders. It's like a horror story, really. Simply a massively sucky night for Roosevelt High. There are some schools I would love to see that happen to, but not Roosevelt High; I'm very OK with them. I feel sorry for them. What a gut-punch. I think that's worse than how Punahou fans must have felt when St Louis beat Punahou 35-0 to end their season. I mean, you have to believe that when Roosevelt went up 21-0, their fans must have thought, "OK, we've got this one; it's going to be a good night."
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Man, Kahuku is kicking Campbell's butts, 42-0, and it's still the first half. I can't wait for Kahuku to play St Louis. I mean, I don't have anything against Campbell High, so I'm not really getting any enjoyment out of how they're getting their butts kicked. But, man, when Kahuku plays St Louis...

Go Red Raiders. Beat the Saints. Please. What goes around, comes around.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Updated Top Ten,

1.St.Louis 5-3 DNP
2.Kahuku 6-0 Beat Campbell 49-23.
3.Mililani 4-1 Game with Farrington canceled.Lights.
4.Kamehameha 3-3 SO
5.Iolani 9-0 DNP Move up one spot.
6.Campbell 4-2 Drop one spot with loss to Kahuku.
7.Lahainaluna 5-0 Beat Maui 26-9.
8.Konawaena 5-0 Beat Keaau 55-19.
9.Waianae 3-3 DNP
10.Moanalua 5-1 Last minute win over Roosevelt.

Aiea is next in if they beat Moanalua in the OIA D-I championship game.

Does the Mililani-Farrington game get played on Monday? I doubt it.The four teams in the OIA Open playoffs have been decided already.Even if Mililani lost,unlikely,the Trojans would still have a top four standing in their division.I don’t think they will want to play Farrington on Monday,then turn around and have a playoff game on Friday or Saturday.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:53 am Updated Top Ten,

1.St.Louis 5-3 DNP
4.Kamehameha 3-3 SO
9.Waianae 3-3 DNP

Does the Mililani-Farrington game get played on Monday? I doubt it.The four teams in the OIA Open playoffs have been decided already.Even if Mililani lost,unlikely,the Trojans would still have a top four standing in their division.I don’t think they will want to play Farrington on Monday,then turn around and have a playoff game on Friday or Saturday.
A bigger question is where will Kahuku play its playoff games? I’m thinking a neutral sight.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

gopunahou,

Per the Star-Advertiser, Kahuku 1seed OIA vs.Waianae 4seed OIA is going to be played at Farrington’s Skippa Diaz facility.That’s neutral. I’m waiting to see what happens with the Mililani-Campbell game. If playoffs are neutral sites then, you would think that the game would not be played at Mililani or Campbell. I’m waiting to see where that Mililani-Campbell game gets played because Mililani has electrical issues , and ,based on what happened with Kahuku-Waianae,you would think that Campbell would not get the game because Mililani has light issues and Campbell did not. Unless ,of course ,teams are going to be treated differently. Let us see.

On the big picture
,state championships are still TBA. Just guessing that T.C. Ching is not going to be an option ,barring any last minute deals. Both UH and prep leagues have known before the beginning of football season that Aloha was condemned and there would be no fans allowed. Several months and no reports of any negotiations, much less an agreement,so I am interested to see what happens where state finals get played. There is no way the HHSAA is going to have them at Aloha when the ticket revenue and concessions will be nil/zero for a second year in a row..

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

If Kahuku plays Waianae at Farrington, then I believe the OIA Championship will be played there. After all why should the second place Mililani get Home advantage. Plus their light situation is very sketchy. The cancelled FARRINGTON /Mililani wouldn't affect the placement, but I bet Farrington felt they got short 1 game.
Heres a suggestion , Farrington / Mililani at Skippa Diaz Field. MNF.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@TheNewNORM:

Yeah, they might as well play at Farrington's stadium. Mililani will whip them no matter where they play. No amount of home-field advantage will help Farrington enough. I say that reluctantly, as I like Farrington High, while I don't particularly like Mililani High. But, things are what they are.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:53 am Updated Top Ten,

1.St.Louis 5-3 DNP
4.Kamehameha 3-3 SO
9.Waianae 3-3 DNP

@unpaid:

I think Aiea stands a very good chance of beating Moanalua. They (Aiea) laid a licking on Waipahu, like they haven't been licked all season. I mean, they dominated on both sides of the ball. I hope they do beat Moanalua, as I kind of like Aiea High, while I'm not particularly fond of Moanalua High. I mean, I don't dislike them, but I would rather have Aiea High.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:29 pm @TheNewNORM:

Yeah, they might as well play at Farrington's stadium. Mililani will whip them no matter where they play. No amount of home-field advantage will help Farrington enough. I say that reluctantly, as I like Farrington High, while I don't particularly like Mililani High. But, things are what they are.
You’ve mentioned that you don’t like teams who win a lot. That explains your dislike for Punahou, St Louis, and Mililani. But why are you fond of Kahuku? They’ve won just as much as the other teams you don’t like.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, it's more complicated than that. First of all, I draw a distinction between a team and a school. I don't dislike teams; I dislike schools. And, I dislike schools that win a lot in many sports. Kahuku High wins a lot, but usually only in football. Yes, their girls' volleyball teams and boys' basketball teams are usually pretty good, too, but they usually aren't good enough to win many championships. So, it's not just whether a school wins a lot of games/matches; it's, how many championships do they win? Aside from football, the fact is that Kahuku High doesn't win a lot of championships. So, I don't resent or dislike that school overall, see?

On this football thread, I often post, "Go Red Raiders." That refers specifically to the football team, but I'm cheering-on the football team as that team represents the school. I.e., I could just as well post, "Go Kahuku High."
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:42 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Well, it's more complicated than that. First of all, I draw a distinction between a team and a school. I don't dislike teams; I dislike schools. And, I dislike schools that win a lot in many sports. Kahuku High wins a lot, but usually only in football. Yes, their girls' volleyball teams and boys' basketball teams are usually pretty good, too, but they usually aren't good enough to win many championships. So, it's not just whether a school wins a lot of games/matches; it's, how many championships do they win? Aside from football, the fact is that Kahuku High doesn't win a lot of championships. So, I don't resent or dislike that school overall, see?
I see. Then you should cheer mostly for public schools or D2 private schools. Punahou, Iolani, and Kam win most of the state titles in a majority of sports. There aren’t a ton of sports where the OIA has a distinct advantage, the only ones I can think of at the moment are softball, bowling, and girls soccer. Of course OIA schools can be competitive in any sport, but usually the majority of top teams/the eventual champion comes from the ILH.