Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by unpaid »

You guys understand that the HHSAA statement did not stop at 1- you have to be vaxxed,right?The other two conditions can be met by unvaxxed players,and ,truth be told,a vaxxed player can be in a position to meet condition three if he gets a breakthrough case.

I don’t think you guys understand that a player doesn’t have to meet only No1 of the three conditions to play in states.If he is vaxxed,he only has to meet No1. If he is unvaxxed ,he only has to meet No.2. If he tests positive he has to meet No.3 regardless if he is vaxxed or not vaxxed.

Anti-vaxxed players are not being summarily excluded from participating in state playoffs. What they are trying to do is keep Covid cases isolated as should be clear from the statement.

OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider

Post by OldManJenkins »

unpaid wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:37 pm You guys understand that the HHSAA statement did not stop at 1- you have to be vaxxed,right?The other two conditions can be met by unvaxxed players,and ,truth be told,a vaxxed player can be in a position to meet condition three if he gets a breakthrough case.

I don’t think you guys understand that a player doesn’t have to meet only No1 of the three conditions to play in states.If he is vaxxed,he only has to meet No1. If he is unvaxxed ,he only has to meet No.2. If he tests positive he has to meet No.3 regardless if he is vaxxed or not vaxxed.

Anti-vaxxed players are not being summarily excluded from participating in state playoffs. What they are trying to do is keep Covid cases isolated as should be clear from the statement.
You are pretty passionate about being right but I disagree, You need to meet 1&2 or 1&3
There is no "or" at the end of statement 1 the only or is between 2 and 3
I will leave it at that. I am sure there will be further clarification soon as the cross country and volleyball champs are right around the corner. Too bad they won't have a chance to get a shot if I'm right.
But what do I know I'm just a grumpy old man....
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

sorry for cluttering this. reading again I see how unpaid can be right.
Why is english so confusing!!! maybe I need to go back to eng 100. again we will know soon

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@OldManJenkins:

Well, volleyball matches have had fans in the gyms for the past three weeks or so. I don't know if there is a limit as to how many fans are allowed in a gym. As for cross-country, that's an outdoor sport that doesn't require close contact, unless the runners happen to bunch-up at points during the race. Is there one standard for participants of any and all sports? The most dangerous sport might very well be volleyball, because you're "trapped" indoors in a gym that might not have excellent ventilation. By contrast, cross-country might be the safest; you're outdoors, and there's no close-contact teamwork required. Each runner is on his/her own. Another sport that hasn't been mentioned is cheerleading. Competitive meets are occurring now, and cheerleading competitions are just as dangerous (from a COVID perspective) as volleyball, because they are also held in gyms. And of course, the girls are in close contact because they have to perform their routines as such. Unlike in volleyball, which is already dangerous enough from a COVID perspective, cheerleaders perform their routines in close proximity to each other, especially when the "bases" hold-up the "flyers". There you have contact that's not only momentary, like it might be in volleyball. I remember watching the last ILH cheerleading championships, which were held at Kamehameha's gym back in January. Only one school at a time performed its routine, and meanwhile the cheerleaders of all the other schools were sitting together in the bleachers, by school. For example, while Kamehameha's cheerleaders were performing, Punahou's cheerleaders were sitting together, right next to each other. There was no social-distancing at all. The same was true for all the other schools that weren't performing at the moment. The only "social-distancing" was that each school's team sat away from the other schools' teams. Sure, all the cheerleaders of all schools were wearing masks, but this was back in January, when the vaccine was only just getting distributed to the elderly and first-responders only, and teens couldn't get it yet at all. At the time, I thought it was very reckless, and it made me cringe. Makes you wonder if any of the girls caught the virus.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Good thing nobody here has admitted to being an anti-vaxxer. I know one former user here is.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou:

It wouldn't be so bad if anti-vaxxers affected only themselves. Instead, they cause this pandemic to drag-on, and they fill-up the ICUs. Over 1,000 people have died of COVID in Hawaii alone. And, as long as anti-vaxxers are causing this pandemic to continue and are themselves getting infected, they cause the rest of us to possibly have breakthrough cases.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Yes, looking at the 8/11/21 HIDOE news release, the protocal for Covid and athletes are the same as HHSAA State tournament requirement. So same same.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

I've heard from a quite reliable source today that Cal and Ron Lee are retiring after this football season.

gopunahou: Here's something that's guaranteed to tick you off. Today's Star-Advertiser football poll has Iolani ranked ahead of your alma mater. They have Iolani ranked #6, and Punahou ranked #7. Now, you know I do not like Punahou School, but it is absolutely ridiculous of the Star-Advertiser to say than Iolani can beat Punahou in football. No way could that happen; not this year, that's for sure. The paper says coaches and media statewide vote the poll. I honestly can't think of any coach who would say that Iolani can beat Punahou in football this year.

Here's something else that will tick you off: ILH JV girls' basketball has started, and Maryknoll's D1 beat Punahou's D1, 65-34. I don't know if you give a rip about JV, but that score shocked me.

Sorry to be the bearer of all this bad news. But, here's some good news for you: Punahou's vars girls' volleyball team is ILH D1 champs. As you know, I don't care for Punahou School, so I'm glad to say that that school didn't win the ILH D1 JV girls' volleyball title; Kamehameha did. (Again, maybe you don't give a rip about JV.)

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:06 pm I've heard from a quite reliable source today that Cal and Ron Lee are retiring after this football season.

gopunahou: Here's something that's guaranteed to tick you off. Today's Star-Advertiser football poll has Iolani ranked ahead of your alma mater. They have Iolani ranked #6, and Punahou ranked #7. Now, you know I do not like Punahou School, but it is absolutely ridiculous of the Star-Advertiser to say than Iolani can beat Punahou in football. No way could that happen; not this year, that's for sure. The paper says coaches and media statewide vote the poll. I honestly can't think of any coach who would say that Iolani can beat Punahou in football this year.

Here's something else that will tick you off: ILH JV girls' basketball has started, and Maryknoll's D1 beat Punahou's D1, 65-34. I don't know if you give a rip about JV, but that score shocked me.

Sorry to be the bearer of all this bad news. But, here's some good news for you: Punahou's vars girls' volleyball team is ILH D1 champs. As you know, I don't care for Punahou School, so I'm glad to say that that school didn't win the ILH D1 JV girls' volleyball title; Kamehameha did. (Again, maybe you don't give a rip about JV.)
It will be interesting to see how well St Louis does after this year. It seems like the ILH Open may become more wide open than in previous years. Kam finally had some success this year, and Punahou isn’t a pushover either.

I think with the polls, voters don’t rank teams based on whether one team can beat another. It’s based on winning. Since the poll includes teams from all divisions, a winning team in the middle division (Iolani), is ranked over a losing team in the top division (Punahou). College football and basketball polls operate the same way. Could UTSA, San Diego St, Louisiana, and Fresno St beat a lot of Power 5 teams? Maybe not as much as a ranked team should, but they are winning, so they get the votes. There also aren’t enough teams in each division for high school football here to do a top 10 for each, so it’s just one mixed poll.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

To me, a poll has to reflect which school can beat another, not W-L records. After all, the poll is a ranking. It's ridiculous that a school that's at the top of D2, for example, should be ranked above a school that's even at the bottom of Open. OK, so Punahou is at the bottom of ILH Open. Does that mean it should be ranked behind Kaiser, which is at the top of OIA D2? That's ridiculous. A true poll can't be based on W-L records when that poll includes all leagues AND all three divisions, because then you're comparing apples to oranges. That should be painfully obvious; it isn't rocket science. A school in the toughest division (say, ILH Open) of course might have a worse W-L record than a school that's at or near the top in the weakest division (say, OIA D2). Doesn't mean that that OIA D2 school can beat that ILH Open school. I don't like Punahou School, but there is no way they would lose to Iolani School in football. That being the case, Iolani really shouldn't be ranked above Punahou. Again, I don't like Punahou School, please believe me when I say that. But, I'm assuming we should be fair to them.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Picks this week,

Kapolei over Leilehua
Hilo over Kealakehe
Konawaena over Keaau
Moanalua over Roosevelt
Castle over Kailua
Pearl City over Waialua
Nanakuli over Kalani
Lahainaluna over Maui
Mililani over Farrington
Kahuku over Campbell
Kamehameha-Hawaii over Hawaii Prep
Pahoa over Kau
Kapaa over Waimea
Aiea over Waipahu
Radford over Kalaheo
Kaimuki over McKinley

11-3 last week. 91-17 season to date.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@unpaid:

Good stuff. The only pick that might be wrong is Aiea winning. Something tells me Waipahu is pissed about losing to Castle, and will take it out on Aiea. Plus, Waipahu was ranked.

Also, Kalani might give Nanakuli a good rub with their pass game.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:24 pm @unpaid:

Good stuff. The only pick that might be wrong is Aiea winning. Something tells me Waipahu is pissed about losing to Castle, and will take it out on Aiea. Plus, Waipahu was ranked.

Also, Kalani might give Nanakuli a good rub with their pass game.
The winner of the Aiea-Waipahu game plays Moanalua for the OIA D1 championship. So that game has everything on the line for both teams.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Your alma mater, Aiea, is something of a "ninja" dark horse; they kind of sneak-up on other schools. Yes, I think they could beat Waipahu; it's not too great a stretch. But, I would consider it an upset.

Speaking of upsets: At the moment, Roosevelt is kicking Moanalua's butts, 21-0. If Roosevelt wins, that would probably be the biggest upset of the night. Moanalua alumni must be defecating bricks right now.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:34 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Your alma mater, Aiea, is something of a "ninja" dark horse; they kind of sneak-up on other schools. Yes, I think they could beat Waipahu; it's not too great a stretch. But, I would consider it an upset.

Speaking of upsets: At the moment, Roosevelt is kicking Moanalua's butts, 21-0. If Roosevelt wins, that would probably be the biggest upset of the night. Moanalua alumni must be defecating bricks right now.
While not as big of an upset, and it is a rivalry game, Kailua (currently winless on the year) leads Castle 16-13 in the third. I think Castle comes back to win the game, but hopefully this means Aiea has a chance tomorrow night. I’m not really superstitious, but maybe this is upset week in the OIA D1.