Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by TheNewNORM »

OldManJenkins wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:38 pm Apparently HHSAA just made a ruling that all State Level Tournaments (State Championships) will require all participating athletes to be vaccinated, no exceptions.
I wonder how this will affect teams like St. Louis who reportedly have many unvax'd. or OIA schools that had late starts because they were waiting for vax exemptions. Maybe KSK was a better choice for the state tourney.
Very Interesting. Just wondering if HHSAA had the vax info all season. They are a lot of key players that have religious exemptions. I'm sure there is going to be a fight. Watching OC16 and you can see "facemask" and safe distance violations. Who enforcing that? I'm vaxxed but many island families have strong religious commitments, not only for St.Louis but also Kahuku mormons. Also noted that the State venue is yo be determined. I'm sure Farrington or Roosevelt will be available. Keep the money in the local high school coffers instead of UH field.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I looked at the HHSAA website and read the statement relating to player eligibility. It’s not a case of get vaccinated or no states for you.

What the HHSAA did state is that if you have proof that you have had both of the two-shot vaccines or the one-shot J&J vaccine, you are good to go for state football championships.

People need to get to the next paragraphs to understand that you can be unvaxxed and still play under certain conditions. As I read the state rules,the HHSAA is saying that unvaxxed players are going to have to get a test from a CLA approved lab that shows you are negative for the virus within 72 hours of the game you play in. So, all three divisions are cut down to two weeks. That would seem to suggest that unvaxxed players are going to have to get tested once or twice depending on whether your team gets beyond the first round.

The last requirement is the one that might be confusing people. It’s the one that says that if you test positive for Covid,you have to stay away from the team for 10 days and then get a negative test from an approved lab. If you test positive and have to isolate for ten days plus another few days to test and get results ,you can see that that would be more than enough time to get DQ’d from being in state playoffs as there are only two rounds played within nine days of each other.

That last rule would apply to any player who tested positive, including a fully vaccinated player who developed a breakthrough case of Covid.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

TheNewNORM wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:19 am
OldManJenkins wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:38 pm Apparently HHSAA just made a ruling that all State Level Tournaments (State Championships) will require all participating athletes to be vaccinated, no exceptions.
I wonder how this will affect teams like St. Louis who reportedly have many unvax'd. or OIA schools that had late starts because they were waiting for vax exemptions. Maybe KSK was a better choice for the state tourney.
Very Interesting. Just wondering if HHSAA had the vax info all season. They are a lot of key players that have religious exemptions. I'm sure there is going to be a fight. Watching OC16 and you can see "facemask" and safe distance violations. Who enforcing that? I'm vaxxed but many island families have strong religious commitments, not only for St.Louis but also Kahuku mormons. Also noted that the State venue is yo be determined. I'm sure Farrington or Roosevelt will be available. Keep the money in the local high school coffers instead of UH field.
@TheNewNORM:

You've made great points, but:
1. Why just Farrington's and Roosevelt's stadiums? Why not any Oahu public school's stadium? If I were HHSAA, I would find-out which public high school with a stadium has the most parking available, and ask that school if it would be interested. Of course, that school would get a cut from the cashbox.
2. Suppose they used UH field. Wouldn't the proceeds go to the public high schools? After all, UH--like the public high schools--is owned by the State. Of course, give UH some of the money, to pay for whatever costs it incurs by having its facilities used (electricity, toilet paper for the restrooms, etc). But, UH would make money from the concession stand, too.
3. Though St Louis School is a Catholic school, students don't have to be Catholic to attend. Also, while Kahuku High does have a lot of Mormons due to the large Mormon temple in Laie, of course not all students at the school are Mormon. But, I'm hoping for Kahuku to beat St Louis in the Open State final. Go Red Raiders.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:52 pm I looked at the HHSAA website and read the statement relating to player eligibility. It’s not a case of get vaccinated or no states for you.

What the HHSAA did state is that if you have proof that you have had both of the two-shot vaccines or the one-shot J&J vaccine, you are good to go for state football championships.

People need to get to the next paragraphs to understand that you can be unvaxxed and still play under certain conditions. As I read the state rules,the HHSAA is saying that unvaxxed players are going to have to get a test from a CLA approved lab that shows you are negative for the virus within 72 hours of the game you play in. So, all three divisions are cut down to two weeks. That would seem to suggest that unvaxxed players are going to have to get tested once or twice depending on whether your team gets beyond the first round.

The last requirement is the one that might be confusing people. It’s the one that says that if you test positive for Covid,you have to stay away from the team for 10 days and then get a negative test from an approved lab. If you test positive and have to isolate for ten days plus another few days to test and get results ,you can see that that would be more than enough time to get DQ’d from being in state playoffs as there are only two rounds played within nine days of each other.

That last rule would apply to any player who tested positive, including a fully vaccinated player who developed a breakthrough case of Covid.
@unpaid:

Parents of football players whose schools make States need to make-up their minds. If they want to be stubbornly anti-vaxx, then they can incur all the hassles and confusion of finding-out if/how/when their sons can play. Or, they can simply have their sons vaccinated, which not only spares them all the hassles, but also protects their sons, themselves, their families, and their sons' teammates and schoolmates. And, the shot(s) is/are free. Like, let's go.

I mean, I respect the parents' right to not have their sons vaccinated, but then they can't complain about the hassles of figuring-out when/if their sons can play, how/when/how often to get them tested, etc. Right? It's very simple: Choices have consequences.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Man Campbells field is bust.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@TheNewNORM:

Oh, really? What happened? And of course, Kahuku High's field is out of commission, too. But, there are tons of other public high schools on Oahu that have a stadium. Again, HHSAA should pick the one with the most parking.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:47 pm @TheNewNORM:

Oh, really? What happened? And of course, Kahuku High's field is out of commission, too. But, there are tons of other public high schools on Oahu that have a stadium. Again, HHSAA should pick the one with the most parking.
If that’s the case, then Mililani would be a good choice. Not because of their parking lot, but because the school is right across the street from Mililani Town Center. There’s a ton of parking in the parking lot that’s next to Walmart. A lot of people just park there and walk over to the field. Most public or even private high schools are just in residential areas, and there’s no larger commercial parking lot next to it, that doesn’t really check for where people go.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:07 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:47 pm @TheNewNORM:

If that’s the case, then Mililani would be a good choice. Not because of their parking lot, but because the school is right across the street from Mililani Town Center. There’s a ton of parking in the parking lot that’s next to Walmart. A lot of people just park there and walk over to the field. Most public or even private high schools are just in residential areas, and there’s no larger commercial parking lot next to it, that doesn’t really check for where people go.
I think OC16 will prefer Mililani hosting.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider

Post by OldManJenkins »

Catholics and Mormons no excuse for vax.
The pope encourages the vax
LDS says they won't be used as a exemption

i do agree with freedom of choice, but sometimes stupidity breeds stupid laws/rules

HHSAA may be like DOE and slow play the exemptions also...

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Updated Top Ten,

1.St.Louis 5-3 DNP
2.Kahuku 5-0 DNP
3.Mililani 4-1 Beat Campbell.Move up two spots.
4.Kamehameha 3-3 SO.
5.Campbell 4-1 Lost to Mililani.Down two places.
6.Iolani 9-0 Beat Roosevelt.
7.Lahainaluna 4-0 DNP.
8.Konawaena 4-0 Beat Kealakehe.
9.Waianae 3-3 Beat Kapolei.
10.Moanalua 4-1 DNP.

Waipahu drops out with the loss to Castle.

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

unpaid wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:52 pm I looked at the HHSAA website and read the statement relating to player eligibility. It’s not a case of get vaccinated or no states for you.

I re-read the statement and it looks like there are no exemptions. It says 1.) student-athletes and coaches must be vaccinated; 2) test negative within 72 hours... it does not OR. I take it to mean that the negative test or statement of 10days rest after infection is not a substitute for vax. The semicolon after 1 is important. The last statement is there because you may still test positive after being infected and isolated for 10 days. I believe they are taking the stance of the DOE saying that sports are a privilege not a requirement therefore they can set policy and if can't abide tough doodoo for you.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I think the HHSAA statement is clear.There are three ways for a player to be eligible for states. I-you can show proof of being fully Vaxxed.2-if you are not vaxxed, you need to get a test for Covid that is negative within 72 hours of each playoff game you are in.3-if you test positive,you have to isolate 10 days and then test negative before playing.

You have to get beyond the 1st requirement and understand there are three ways to qualify vaxxers can meet No1and antivaxxers can meet 2and 3.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

OldManJenkins wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:25 am Catholics and Mormons no excuse for vax.
The pope encourages the vax
LDS says they won't be used as a exemption

i do agree with freedom of choice, but sometimes stupidity breeds stupid laws/rules

HHSAA may be like DOE and slow play the exemptions also...
@OldManJenkins:

I agree, but didn't have the guts to come right out and post it.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

OldManJenkins wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:56 pm

I re-read the statement and it looks like there are no exemptions. It says 1.) student-athletes and coaches must be vaccinated; 2) test negative within 72 hours... it does not OR. I take it to mean that the negative test or statement of 10days rest after infection is not a substitute for vax. The semicolon after 1 is important. The last statement is there because you may still test positive after being infected and isolated for 10 days. I believe they are taking the stance of the DOE saying that sports are a privilege not a requirement therefore they can set policy and if can't abide tough doodoo for you.
@OldManJenkins:

I like that: "...if (you) can't abide tough doodoo for you." If you ask me, this isn't a case of can't abide; it's a case of won't abide. No one can force anyone to not get the shot(s).

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:52 pm
OldManJenkins wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:56 pm

@OldManJenkins:

I like that: "...if (you) can't abide tough doodoo for you." If you ask me, this isn't a case of can't abide; it's a case of won't abide. No one can force anyone to not get the shot(s).
agreed.
I for one think that our freedom to choose shouldn't be compromised. Also. with student-athletes being vaccinated in the 90percentile its a world where there should be herd immunity. Taking away the right to play sports is not the way to go, especially for those that are trying to use it to better themselves in terms of trying to get into college or better yet with a scholarship. Some kids won't have the opportunity otherwise, more so with the parents permission needed to take the vax. As small as that could be, to some it could be life changing for an entire family.