Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by gopunahou »

OldManJenkins wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:19 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:12 pm @gopunahou:

Well, I think Farrington qualifies as a slow but massive team. I didn't mean that Farrington would clobber Iolani scorewise; I meant they would clobber Iolani physically. Like, Iolani's D-line would be roadkill. Have you seen how massive Farrington's O-line is?

Granted, Iolani is smaller but quicker than Farrington. But, if Farrington constantly ran run-plays behind their massive O-line, could Iolani's front-seven prevent them from scoring? And, since run plays take more time, that keeps Iolani's O off the field longer.
This would be interesting, one school of thought is that even if you can keep the O off the field they don't need a lot of time to score. If you get into a TD shootout the team that eats clock to score usually loses out. I think Castle tried to do that with their 315+ O-line but the scoring was too slow, albeit the Castle coaches are not very good. With the Iolani running back able to run a sub 11 sec 100m they really can get the ball moving.
Kind of surprising that Castle is that big this year, considering they’ve traditionally been a small time. The great teams with the late Joel Botelho, as well as their 2002 OIA championship team, were small.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Well, I think Farrington qualifies as a slow but massive team. I didn't mean that Farrington would clobber Iolani scorewise; I meant they would clobber Iolani physically. Like, Iolani's D-line would be roadkill. Have you seen how massive Farrington's O-line is?

Granted, Iolani is smaller but quicker than Farrington. But, if Farrington constantly ran run-plays behind their massive O-line, could Iolani's front-seven prevent them from scoring? And, since run plays take more time, that keeps Iolani's O off the field longer.
This would be interesting, one school of thought is that even if you can keep the O off the field they don't need a lot of time to score. If you get into a TD shootout the team that eats clock to score usually loses out. I think Castle tried to do that with their 315+ O-line but the scoring was too slow, albeit the Castle coaches are not very good. With the Iolani running back able to run a sub 11 sec 100m they really can get the ball moving.
@OldManJenkins:

Wow; Castle's O-line is that thick? I didn't know.

Well, would Farrington beat Iolani? We know that Farrington, like Castle, has a super-thick O-line, so there's no question they'll post TDs. Question is: How good is their D? If they're quick, they can offset Iolani's speed. The ideal, I think, would be if Farrington's D-line were thick, while the LBs and DBs were quick.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:38 am

Kind of surprising that Castle is that big this year, considering they’ve traditionally been a small time. The great teams with the late Joel Botelho, as well as their 2002 OIA championship team, were small.
@gopunahou:

That's true. Castle is usually on the small side, but scrappy. Kind of like how St Louis was in the late-'70s. But, Castle has always had a few thick O-linemen. Most schools do, right? Iolani, on the other hand, often seems to have very few thick guys on the O-line. That's the case again this year.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

I think when the regular OIA Open season is over, the undefeated team is crown OIA champs. Then they can play the post season for placement in the States. Yes I'm a RR fan and yes the RR has been playing in everybodies house just hoping OIA playoffs are at a neutral field like Farrington. Hopefully next year when the Kahuku field is ready, all their games will be played there. And if the ILH/OIA open goes in 2022, then bring the ILH teams to the country for some old fashion Rural Friday Nights.
Also, is Coach York losing his discipline touch?

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

TheNewNORM wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:41 am I think when the regular OIA Open season is over, the undefeated team is crown OIA champs. Then they can play the post season for placement in the States. Yes I'm a RR fan and yes the RR has been playing in everybodies house just hoping OIA playoffs are at a neutral field like Farrington. Hopefully next year when the Kahuku field is ready, all their games will be played there. And if the ILH/OIA open goes in 2022, then bring the ILH teams to the country for some old fashion Rural Friday Nights.
I’ve noticed there’s been several years where the Kahuku field is under some type of repairs. Is it just an older field? Does it have something to do with the land in the Laie area? I’ve never been to the school or field, but it seems more than most other schools, this happens to Kahuku, where they end up playing the whole season on the road.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:38 am

@gopunahou:

Exactly. Castle is (was?) usually on the smaller side, but scrappy. That's exactly how St Louis was, too, back in the late-'70s.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheNewNORM wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:41 am I think when the regular OIA Open season is over, the undefeated team is crown OIA champs. Then they can play the post season for placement in the States. Yes I'm a RR fan and yes the RR has been playing in everybodies house just hoping OIA playoffs are at a neutral field like Farrington. Hopefully next year when the Kahuku field is ready, all their games will be played there. And if the ILH/OIA open goes in 2022, then bring the ILH teams to the country for some old fashion Rural Friday Nights.
@TheNewNORM:

Well, I personally think "home-field advantage" is overrated. I mean, once you step on that field--whichever school's field it is--you have to make-up your mind to zone-out and concentrate on your play. By the way, I'm now a Kahuku fan, too. I've hitched my wagon to them. I want them to beat St Louis in the worst way. Go Red Raiders.

I've always had the impression that York was kind of the "bad boy"; I've always had something of a "bad boy" image of him. I'm not saying he's a bad person; I'm saying that I think he's always had that "bad boy" persona. That might come in handy when you're a high school football coach. I mean, that persona kind of fits the game, right? It might not be the best thing if you're a golf coach, for example, but I could see how apropos a "bad boy" persona might be for a football coach. But, when the players have accumulated a doo-doo load of penalties in a game (like the one last week against Kahuku), perhaps York might do what I've heard Cal Lee used to do when he was unhappy with his players: Make them run gassers, and make them practice 'til late.

Anyway, if you've read the article in today's paper about Mililani's team, York displayed humility. He's willing to own it when he thinks he made mistakes. In regard to all the penalties Mililani had against Kahuku, York said, "I've got to do a better job of coaching." So, this tells me he's not arrogant; he's willing to own things.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:52 pm
@TheNewNORM:

Well, I personally think "home-field advantage" is overrated. I mean, once you step on that field--whichever school's field it is--you have to make-up your mind to zone-out and concentrate on your play. By the way, I'm now a Kahuku fan, too. I've hitched my wagon to them. I want them to beat St Louis in the worst way. Go Red Raiders.

I've always had the impression that York was kind of the "bad boy"; I've always had something of a "bad boy" image of him. I'm not saying he's a bad person; I'm saying that I think he's always had that "bad boy" persona. That might come in handy when you're a high school football coach. I mean, that persona kind of fits the game, right? It might not be the best thing if you're a golf coach, for example, but I could see how apropos a "bad boy" persona might be for a football coach. But, when the players have accumulated a doo-doo load of penalties in a game (like the one last week against Kahuku), perhaps York might do what I've heard Cal Lee used to do when he was unhappy with his players: Make them run gassers, and make them practice 'til late.

Anyway, if you've read the article in today's paper about Mililani's team, York displayed humility. He's willing to own it when he thinks he made mistakes. In regard to all the penalties Mililani had against Kahuku, York said, "I've got to do a better job of coaching." So, this tells me he's not arrogant; he's willing to own things.
Home field advantage makes it easier for fans of the home team to attend games. Every team has to travel for road games, no matter what league they play in. Every road team’s fans has to drive or bus to the opposing team’s field (or neutral venue). Why not try to give every team a chance to host half of their games if possible? I know for ILH teams, it’s been different, always playing at Aloha Stadium before it was condemned, but for public schools, there is that hometown experience of hosting games at your school’s field.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, it's always nice to have that "twelfth man", but if I were a coach, I would try to tell my team that we have to be mentally prepared for each game to such an extent that if doesn't matter which school's field is being used. I don't want that twelfth man to become a crutch. My mantra would be: Try to psych yourself up to such an extent that you're going to play well at any field.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:07 pm
I’ve noticed there’s been several years where the Kahuku field is under some type of repairs. Is it just an older field? Does it have something to do with the land in the Laie area? I’ve never been to the school or field, but it seems more than most other schools, this happens to Kahuku, where they end up playing the whole season on the road.
@ChadFukuoka:

Well, what sucks about Kahuku High is that it experiences severe flooding. That beats-up not only the football field, but the gym. The flooding at the school can get so bad that the hardwood floor of the gym actually warps, and then the floor has to be re-done. One thing about that school.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:21 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:07 pm
@ChadFukuoka:

Well, what sucks about Kahuku High is that it experiences severe flooding. That beats-up not only the football field, but the gym. The flooding at the school can get so bad that the hardwood floor of the gym actually warps, and then the floor has to be re-done. One thing about that school.
I didn’t realize there was constant flooding. I guess that explains the need for constant repairs as well.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, I don't think the flooding is constant, but when it does rain hard, the school sometimes experiences flooding. Parts of the campus (like the football field and gym), may be flooded. Regarding the gym, I don't know if the condition of the roof has had anything to do with the flooding. I would doubt it, though. Water probably just rose to a level where it seeped into the gym. That's pretty sucky, when you think about it. I've never heard of any other high school's gym floor being damaged due to flooding (and not a leaking roof).

OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by OldManJenkins »

Apparently HHSAA just made a ruling that all State Level Tournaments (State Championships) will require all participating athletes to be vaccinated, no exceptions.
I wonder how this will affect teams like St. Louis who reportedly have many unvax'd. or OIA schools that had late starts because they were waiting for vax exemptions. Maybe KSK was a better choice for the state tourney.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Picks this week

Iolani over Roosevelt
Waianae over Kapolei
Kaiser over Nanakuli
Pearl City over Kaimuki
Farrington over Leilehua
Hilo over Keaau
Konawaena over Kealakehe
Campbell over Mililani
Kapaa over Kauai
Waipahu over Castle
Radford over Waialua
McKinley over Kalaheo
Honokaa over Kau
Kamehameha-Hawaii over Kohala

14-1 on picks last week. 80-14 season to date.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

OldManJenkins wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:38 pm Apparently HHSAA just made a ruling that all State Level Tournaments (State Championships) will require all participating athletes to be vaccinated, no exceptions.
I wonder how this will affect teams like St. Louis who reportedly have many unvax'd. or OIA schools that had late starts because they were waiting for vax exemptions. Maybe KSK was a better choice for the state tourney.
@OldManJenkins:

You know, if Bartley were 100%, I think Kamehameha would have beaten St Louis in the last game. That last game, all the pieces were there for Kamehameha, except Bartley. I like Kamehameha Schools, so I wanted them to get to States. I'm going to blame the football gods for allowing Bartley to injure his ankle in the previous game against St Louis. Football gods, you suck. If the football gods "had" to let Bartley get injured, why couldn't it have happened, say, with 5 minutes left in the last game? I think Kamehameha would have won that game, and would go to States. And then Bartley would have had 6 weeks for his ankle to heal; more than enough time for him to be ready for States. Is there any way to fire the football gods? Is there any way to sue the football gods for malicious, anti - Kamehameha Schools conduct?

Go Red Raiders. Beat the Saints.