Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by gopunahou »

The Kahuku-Mililani game is making me appreciate that that subhuman Infidel is no longer posting. I miss his hypocrisy as much as I miss Punahou FB between 1983 and 1987.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

How does Kapolei rate 4 OC16 prime gametimes? Oh yeah, Coach H.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

"Undisciplined players reflects Undisciplined coaching " written in Dave Aranda's playbook.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

TheNewNORM wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:55 pm "Undisciplined players reflects Undisciplined coaching " written in Dave Aranda's playbook.
Speaking of Dave Aranda, Baylor had a nice win at home over Oklahoma today.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:23 pm
TheNewNORM wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:55 pm "Undisciplined players reflects Undisciplined coaching " written in Dave Aranda's playbook.
I can guarantee that Florida, Washington, and USC are going after Aranda. Florida and Washington fanbases both think that coaching changes are inevitable for their FB programs.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Updated Top Ten,

1.St.Louis 5-3 DNP
2.Kahuku 5-0 Beat Mililani 55-20.
3.Campbell 4-0 Beat Leilehua 41-7
4.Kamehameha 3-3 Season over. Two quality wins over STL,one when Crusaders were No.1.
5.Mililani 3-1 Lost to Kahuku. Drop two spots.
6.Iolani 8-0 DNP
7.Lahainaluna 4-0 Beat Kamehameha-Maui 31-7.
8.Konawaena 3-0 Beat Waiakea 54-0.
9.Waipahu 2-0 DNP.
10. Moanalua 4-1 Beat Kailua.

Waianae,Hilo, Kealakehe looking to move in when somebody stumbles.

Kahuku seems to be the strongest opponent still playing that could be capable of beating St.Louis.

Kamehameha-Hawaii,Kamehameha-Maui,Kapaa,Waimea,Kaiser,Radford,Nanakuli,and Kalani look like the best of D-II to me so far.If I had to pick a top seed today,I would pick Kaiser with Kamehameha-Hawaii a close second.

In D-1, I think Iolani would would get the No.1 seed,but an argument could be made for Lahainaluna too.I think Moanalua and Waipahu will duke it out for the OIA D-I title. I’m guessing Konawaena wins the BIIF, but Kealakehe and Hilo will make it interesting.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:15 pm
I can guarantee that Florida, Washington, and USC are going after Aranda. Florida and Washington fanbases both think that coaching changes are inevitable for their FB programs.
It would be interesting to see how much he could improve Florida’s defense. He was the defensive coordinator at LSU, so he would be able to recruit the SEC footprint. Florida is still a well known program, despite their current struggles at the moment.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:15 pm
I think USC has the most $$$ to make it happen. Plus Dave is LA native of Mexican heritage.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:13 pm The Kahuku-Mililani game is making me appreciate that that subhuman Infidel is no longer posting. I miss his hypocrisy as much as I miss Punahou FB between 1983 and 1987.
@gopunahou:

It's funny, but I've been following high school football since the mid-'70s, and the only year I remember Punahou sucking was '76; that year they finished last in the ILH. I don't remember Punahou sucking from '83-'87.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheNewNORM wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:54 pm How does Kapolei rate 4 OC16 prime gametimes? Oh yeah, Coach H.
@TheNewNORM:

You think it's because he's a sportscaster there? Wow, that sucks. That's unfair. Well, I don't think Kapolei is going to Open States. Only three OIA schools go, right?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:19 am Updated Top Ten,

1.St.Louis 5-3 DNP
4.Kamehameha 3-3 Season over. Two quality wins over STL,one when Crusaders were No.1.
6.Iolani 8-0 DNP
9.Waipahu 2-0 DNP.

Kahuku seems to be the strongest opponent still playing that could be capable of beating St.Louis.

Kamehameha-Hawaii,Kamehameha-Maui,Kapaa,Waimea,Kaiser,Radford,Nanakuli,and Kalani look like the best of D-II to me so far.If I had to pick a top seed today,I would pick Kaiser with Kamehameha-Hawaii a close second.

In D-1, I think Iolani would would get the No.1 seed,but an argument could be made for Lahainaluna too.I think Moanalua and Waipahu will duke it out for the OIA D-I title. I’m guessing Konawaena wins the BIIF, but Kealakehe and Hilo will make it interesting.
@unpaid:

Regarding D2, I think Kaiser will win States. I don't exactly like that school, but unfortunately, I don't see any D2 school in the state beating them.

Regarding D1, yeah, I think the State title game will be Iolani vs Lahainaluna. I don't care for Iolani School, so I'm hoping Lahainaluna can beat them. I'd like to see Lahainaluna's D-line annihilate Iolani's smallish O-line.

Finally, in Open, I see St Louis and Kahuku going at it in the title game. St Louis may have the thickest O-line in the ILH, but I think Kahuku's O-line is even thicker. St Louis has #79 Laakea Kapoi at 310#, Alexsander Litaea-Sniffen (don't know his jersey #) at 320#, and #66 Jaydee Kahawai at 330#. Kahuku has #51 Ajae Tofa at 300#, #75 Brayden Mailo at 330#, #77 Roebuck Rupp at 350#, and #70 Sione Heimuli at 370#. Mailo is a C. If St Louis uses an NG, I'd like to see Mailo destroy 'em on run plays. Thick O-linemen can do a lot more damage on run plays, because they're firing-out aggressively to clean-out D-linemen. While St Louis has a run game, I think Kahuku's run game is better. St Louis has smaller, quicker RBs, but Kahuku has bigger, more power-oriented RBs. While Kahuku also has a decent pass game, I think Kahuku should call run plays about 70% of the time. That way their elephant O-linemen can be firing-out and destroying St Louis D-linemen at least 70% of the time, wearing them down. Run plays also eat more clock, which keeps St Louis' high-powered pass O off the field longer.

Go Red Raiders.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I think this is Kahuku's best passing team since 2010, when they couldn't participate in the state tournament but would have won it all. What might hurt Kahuku is that its passing game won't catch anybody by surprise as it did in 2011 and 2012, when they unleashed it in the state championship game against us and made us pay for stacking the box with 8 dudes.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou:

Well, St Louis certainly knows about Kahuku's pass game this year, but knowing about it and stopping it are two different things, right? I still think Kahuku should run the ball more against St Louis, as opposed to throwing it more. I mean, Kahuku can't throw the way St Louis can. But, that's OK, because Kahuku's run game compensates for that. And, when St Louis stacks the box, Kahuku can throw the ball. Basically, I think Kahuku is the Kamehameha of the OIA, and I mention Kamehameha because they beat St Louis twice. Kamehameha and Kahuku are so similar. The only edge Kamehameha had over Kahuku is that Kahuku doesn't have an RB like Bartley. But, Taulapapa comes close enough. He's a big power-runner like Bartley. Kahuku has an edge over Kamehameha in that they have a better pass game, and a thicker O-line. If Kahuku puts it all together, I think they can and will beat St Louis. Then St Louis supporters will feel how you felt when St Louis ended Punahou's (your alma mater) season, and how I felt when they ended Kamehameha's (a school I like) season. The Saints need to pay for all that.

Go Red Raiders.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:21 pm
unpaid wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:19 am Updated Top Ten,

1.St.Louis 5-3 DNP
6.Iolani 8-0 DNP
9.Waipahu 2-0 DNP.

@unpaid:

Regarding D2, I think Kaiser will win States. I don't exactly like that school, but unfortunately, I don't see any D2 school in the state beating them.

Regarding D1, yeah, I think the State title game will be Iolani vs Lahainaluna. I don't care for Iolani School, so I'm hoping Lahainaluna can beat them. I'd like to see Lahainaluna's D-line annihilate Iolani's smallish O-line.

Finally, in Open, I see St Louis and Kahuku going at it in the title game. St Louis may have the thickest O-line in the ILH, but I think Kahuku's O-line is even thicker. St Louis has #79 Laakea Kapoi at 310#, Alexsander Litaea-Sniffen (don't know his jersey #) at 320#, and #66 Jaydee Kahawai at 330#. Kahuku has #51 Ajae Tofa at 300#, #75 Brayden Mailo at 330#, #77 Roebuck Rupp at 350#, and #70 Sione Heimuli at 370#. Mailo is a C. If St Louis uses an NG, I'd like to see Mailo destroy 'em on run plays. Thick O-linemen can do a lot more damage on run plays, because they're firing-out aggressively to clean-out D-linemen. While St Louis has a run game, I think Kahuku's run game is better. St Louis has smaller, quicker RBs, but Kahuku has bigger, more power-oriented RBs. While Kahuku also has a decent pass game, I think Kahuku should call run plays about 70% of the time. That way their elephant O-linemen can be firing-out and destroying St Louis D-linemen at least 70% of the time, wearing them down. Run plays also eat more clock, which keeps St Louis' high-powered pass O off the field longer.

Go Red Raiders.
D2 doesn’t get a ton of attention, but I think we might see the OIA dominate the state playoffs for the coming years. Lahainaluna and Konawaena both moved up to D1 recently. They would have dominated in D2. Most of the remaining D2 neighbor island teams are smaller schools that haven’t had a ton of recent success. There probably won’t be any neighbor island powerhouses like Lahainaluna anymore. The OIA champ should likely be the top seed in most years. I also wonder if PAC-5 will join Iolani and Damien in D1, since they are by themselves in D2, it leaves them ineligible for the state playoffs.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, yes, as I mentioned in my post, I don't think anyone will touch Kaiser in D2 States. I don't know about the coming years, though.

Really, I think Damien belongs in D2, as does Pac-Five. But then, who would Iolani play in ILH D1? There'd be no other school but them. None of the ILH Open schools can drop to D1; they're all too strong. It's a messed-up situation in the ILH. Not enough D1-caliber teams.