Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by gopunahou »

I hope the OIA ain't as weak as it was in 2019.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@gopunahou:

Well, it sounds like you're on the "Beat the Saints" bandwagon. Welcome aboard. Let me guess: As a Punahou alumnus, you're mad at St Louis for eliminating your alma mater. Well, I'm mad at them, too, for eliminating a school I like: Kamehameha.

When you say you hope the OIA isn't weak, well: It takes only one strong OIA school to beat St Louis. I'm hoping Kahuku is that school. And, while Scoring Live has them at #3, the Star-Advertiser has them at #1. I mean, I can handle it if St Louis makes it all the way to the State Open title game, as long as they don't win that game. I think Kahuku has been going with its pass game so far. But, they can run, too. They have a run game. I hope Kahuku's pass and run are a one-two punch that can beat St Louis. I'm not asking that Kahuku kick St Louis' butt. Besides, that would be asking too much of any school in the state. If they could even edge St Louis by two points, as Kamehameha did the first time they beat them. The mission is to keep St Louis away from the State title. Two points work just as well as twenty. I don't know how big and tough Kahuku's O-line is. I know Kamehameha's O line was both. I'd like to see Kahuku's O-line pound St Louis' D-line into submission, wear 'em out, wear them to a frazzle. I'd like St Louis' D-line to have a physical consequence. I'd like to see them wilt as the 4th quarter begins. As the 4th quarter begins, I'd like to see St Louis' D-line standing-around between plays with their hands on their hips. But, if the Kahuku HC and/or OC would rather throw the ball against St Louis, that's fine, too. Against St Louis, Kahuku might have to do both, to keep St Louis' D honest. Whatever works. Thank goodness they have a balanced attack this year. When the clock winds-down to zero, I want Kahuku High to have made St Louis School and its supporters feel the way you felt when they eliminated Punahou, and the way I felt when they eliminated Kamehameha. It will be payback time, and payback is a b*t*h. We've got a long wait, you and I. But, patience is a virtue.

To St Louis School: What goes around, comes around.
To Kahuku High: Go Red Raiders!

PS: Anyone out there have any scoops about Kahuku's O-line? Kahuku has the QB, the receivers, and the RBs. But, how's that O-line? I mean, we know they don't suck, given the points the O has been scoring. But, how would they fare against St Louis? How does Kahuku's O-line stack-up against St Louis' D-line? Could Kahuku prevail in an offensive shoot-out? Can Kahuku match St Louis TD-for-TD? Or, would the game more likely be a defensive struggle? If that were so, how quick is Kahuku's D-line? St Louis' O-line is massive, but slow. I'm assuming Kahuku's D-line isn't small; might it possibly be big but quick?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Just wanted to provide a news flash about girls' volleyball: Tonight in ILH D2 play, University Lab not only beat Damien School, but swept them in straight sets. This is a pretty massive upset. Damien was ranked #6 in the state, despite being only in D2. I would assume, therefore, that they were ranked ahead of some D1 schools. University wasn't even ranked. Something tells me Damien alumni are pissed. I don't know if this was an elimination match, or what.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:33 pm Just wanted to provide a news flash about girls' volleyball: Tonight in ILH D2 play, University Lab not only beat Damien School, but swept them in straight sets. This is a pretty massive upset. Damien was ranked #6 in the state, despite being only in D2. I would assume, therefore, that they were ranked ahead of some D1 schools. University wasn't even ranked. Something tells me Damien alumni are pissed. I don't know if this was an elimination match, or what.
Don’t think that’s enough to make Frank DeLima cry. Hell, DeLima has never cried about Iolani being in the same football division as Damien, even though victories over Iolani have been few and far between.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:26 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:33 pm Just wanted to provide a news flash about girls' volleyball: Tonight in ILH D2 play, University Lab not only beat Damien School, but swept them in straight sets. This is a pretty massive upset. Damien was ranked #6 in the state, despite being only in D2. I would assume, therefore, that they were ranked ahead of some D1 schools. University wasn't even ranked. Something tells me Damien alumni are pissed. I don't know if this was an elimination match, or what.
Don’t think that’s enough to make Frank DeLima cry. Hell, DeLima has never cried about Iolani being in the same football division as Damien, even though victories over Iolani have been few and far between.
Is Frank DeLima a Damien alumnus?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:57 pm
Is Frank DeLima a Damien alumnus?
Yes.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou:

Indeed, DeLima is a Damien alumnus, Class of '67. But, does he follow high school sports? We have no way of knowing. Plus, he's a high-profile entertainer, and he's often on those TheCab TV commercials. I don't know; something tells me he's not following high school sports. Like, he's 72 already, on top of that.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:49 pm
@gopunahou:

Indeed, DeLima is a Damien alumnus, Class of '67. But, does he follow high school sports? We have no way of knowing. Plus, he's a high-profile entertainer, and he's often on those TheCab TV commercials. I don't know; something tells me he's not following high school sports. Like, he's 72 already, on top of that.
I didn’t realize he was 72. I would have guessed mid to late 50’s, just from looking at him on those commercials you mentioned.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, he probably looks younger in the TV ads due to some makeup crew associated with the filming. Plus, who knows how recently those ads were made? They've been on TV for several years, right? He may have been two or three years younger, though some of the ads may have been filmed more recently; I don't know.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Picks this week,

Kamehameha-Hawaii over Kau
Lahainaluna over Kamehameha-Maui
Waianae over Farrington
Moanalua over Kailua
Aiea over Castle
Kaiser over Pearl City
Kealakehe over Hilo
Kohala over Pahoa
Kahuku over Mililani
Campbell over Leilehua
Waimea over Kauai
Maui over Baldwin
Radford over Kalani
Nanakuli over McKinley
Waialua over Kalaheo
Konawaena over Waiakea
Hawaii Prep over Kohala? Doubt Kohala plays on Fri and Sat need to check and see who Kohala really plays.Hawaii Prep over Kohala.

16-3 on picks last week. 66-13 season to date.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:02 pm I hope the OIA ain't as weak as it was in 2019.
I think Kahuku or Mililani could give St Louis a real challenge. I also wonder if St Louis will be rusty in their first semifinal game, if they haven’t played for something around 6 weeks.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

I don't think Mililani is that much of a threat to St Louis; I think Kahuku can knock St Louis off. Kahuku has everything Kamehameha has: Size, strong run game, decent pass game, good D. I think Kahuku goes more with the pass than Kamehameha did. Anyway, Kamehameha beat St Louis twice; Kahuku has to beat them only once.

If St Louis is super-rusty, Mililani might have a chance against them. If they meet in a game early in the tournament, and Mililani edges them, so much the better. Basically, I prefer Mililani High and Kahuku High to St Louis School. And, I prefer Kahuku High to Mililani High.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:06 pm @ChadFukuoka:

I don't think Mililani is that much of a threat to St Louis; I think Kahuku can knock St Louis off. Kahuku has everything Kamehameha has: Size, strong run game, decent pass game, good D. I think Kahuku goes more with the pass than Kamehameha did. Anyway, Kamehameha beat St Louis twice; Kahuku has to beat them only once.

If St Louis is super-rusty, Mililani might have a chance against them. If they meet in a game early in the tournament, and Mililani edges them, so much the better. Basically, I prefer Mililani High and Kahuku High to St Louis School. And, I prefer Kahuku High to Mililani High.
Tomorrow’s Kahuku-Mililani game will determine who is the best in the OIA. Assuming the state playoffs for Open is St Louis (ILH champ), and the top 3 OIA teams, I’d guess the OIA ranking of teams would be Kahuku, Mililani, and Campbell. If Campbell finishes third, they would play the top seed, I wonder if that will be the undefeated OIA champ or St Louis. It could go either way. Since St Louis has been so dominant in past years, I wonder if they get the top seed over the OIA champ, deposits having the worse regular season record.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:39 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:06 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Tomorrow’s Kahuku-Mililani game will determine who is the best in the OIA. Assuming the state playoffs for Open is St Louis (ILH champ), and the top 3 OIA teams, I’d guess the OIA ranking of teams would be Kahuku, Mililani, and Campbell. If Campbell finishes third, they would play the top seed, I wonder if that will be the undefeated OIA champ or St Louis. It could go either way. Since St Louis has been so dominant in past years, I wonder if they get the top seed over the OIA champ, deposits having the worse regular season record.
I think the HHSAA will make St. Louis play the OIA runner-up, regardless of how well the OIA champion performs or if they think St. Louis is better than the OIA champ. The HHSAA will try to avoid having the two best OIA teams face each other consecutive times. I think that's been the case since 2017, since Mililani and Kahuku have been the OIA finalists since then but never faced each other in the state tournament.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou:

I'm hoping that St Louis will be so rusty that Campbell or Mililani upsets them, even by as little as 1 or 2 points. A win is a win.

PS: I've noticed that you still keep your Punahou football byline at the bottom of your posts. I give you credit for keeping it there, despite their being blown-out by St Louis, 35-0. If it makes you feel better about your alma mater, Punahou beat Kamehameha in girls' volleyball last night. Kamehameha, despite having their top two players (Kahahawai and Robins) healthy, found a way to lose, 3-1. You know that I dislike Punahou School, but the way things look now, their girls' volleyball team will win D1 States. Though, Iolani School poses a threat. If Kamehameha loses to them this coming week, they (Iolani) will join Punahou in D1 States. None of the non-ILH schools statewide (not even in the OIA) can beat Punahou; only Iolani can. Of course, that's the last school that Punahou School wants to lose to, in any sport. Yet, if Iolani beats Kamehameha this coming week, I'm predicting a Punahou vs Iolani final in D1 States.