Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:59 pm I wouldn't mind watching us play Iolani. It is a classic rivalry, even though we've gone 27-7 against them. Yet, we never complained about playing them between 1980 and 1993, despite posting a 9-18-2 record against them.
@gopunahou:

It's not going to happen. There's a reason that Iolani is in D1, while Punahou is in Open. Punahou is simply too big and too strong for Iolani, and its been that way for the last ten years.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:04 pm This game must be making people ask "how did Kamehameha beat St. Louis twice this season?"
@gopunahou:

Simple: Luck. Sheer luck. I've been saying that for weeks now. Now Kamehameha's golden Cinderella carriage has turned into a big, ugly pumpkin. And, just in time for Halloween.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:19 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:04 pm This game must be making people ask "how did Kamehameha beat St. Louis twice this season?"
@gopunahou:

Simple: Luck. Sheer luck. I've been saying that for weeks now. Now Kamehameha's golden Cinderella carriage has turned into a big, ugly pumpkin. And, just in time for Halloween.
One thing nobody can deny is that the pressure is now on Kamehameha next week (unlike tonight). This also proves how hard it is to beat St. Louis three times in a season. It's only happened once.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

@gopunahou:

I don’t think it was luck. The Kam DC seemed like he figured out the Crusader offense. One of tye biggest differences, is AJ. The light bulb came on for him last week. Zero incompletions. He carried it into this week. O Line playing better is allowing deep shots. They couldn’t block to save their lives in the 1st game against Kam.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:49 pm
@gopunahou:

I don’t think it was luck. The Kam DC seemed like he figured out the Crusader offense. One of tye biggest differences, is AJ. The light bulb came on for him last week. Zero incompletions. He carried it into this week. O Line playing better is allowing deep shots. They couldn’t block to save their lives in the 1st game against Kam.
It didn’t help KSK that their offense couldn’t get anything going. In the 2nd game, Bartley looked like Barkley (Saquon). Even when he was playing, the offense was struggling.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider

Post by OldManJenkins »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:43 pm
Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:04 pm Having a Mule as your mascot is kind of lame anyways so I guess adding Mighty to it can’t possibly make it sound worse 😂

Speaking of Mascots, does Punahou have one? I know that they’re the Punahou Buff n Blue. But is that it? Is their mascot just a name like the Alabama Crimson Tide? Or do they actually have some kind of physical Mascot? Like how Alabama also has an Elephant. Sorry, random question.
Our mascot is just a name, although students of ours dress in all blue for Homecoming games (or big ones).
@gopunahou. what happened to that buffalo mascot from the 80's? Wasn't the buffalo on the PE uniforms as well?
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

Sorry but couldn't keep watching such a pathetic game, so lopsided. From what I saw those KSK DB's were getting burnt albeit give your QB time and things start to open up more

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

The ILH league admins apparently are not sanctioning games any of their member schools schedule against OIA teams this year before states.If they did,they would have to pay for insurance coverage on their own. I don’t know what that would cost,but I’m guessing the sum was large enough for Punahou to say no. Damien-Moanalua was downgraded to a scrimmage .
Insurance might be the reason that happened .Ditto for the Kamehameha-Kahuku game that also got reduced to a scrimmage format. Probably don’t need expensive insurance for a scrimmage.

Iolani has gone ahead and scheduled three OIA games before states. If they don’t reduce those to scrimmages, then I guess Iolani is willing to foot the insurance costs on their own to get some extra games.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:28 pm
@gopunahou:

One thing nobody can deny is that the pressure is now on Kamehameha next week (unlike tonight). This also proves how hard it is to beat St. Louis three times in a season. It's only happened once.
@gopunahou:

OK, let's not kid ourselves. If Bartley is out, Kamehameha isn't going to win. Period. If he plays, but isn't 100%, it's still almost certain they won't win.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:49 pm
@gopunahou:

@genks:

Well, look at the margins of victory: 2 points in the first game, 3 in the second. That's one thing. If you win by that little, already you consider yourself lucky. Then look at how things went down in both games. In the first game, it took a big sack by DE Palama to really put the game away. St Louis was just a few yards from FG range; they could have even tried one from where they were. They convert the FG at that very late stage of the game, they win by 1. Then, the second game: Kamehameha was down by 11 at the half, and it took a big fumble by St Louis late in the game to seal it for Kamehameha.

Kamehameha's D-line was a disappointment last night. St Louis' O-line is thick, but slow. Kamehameha's D-line is quick. So, what happened?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

OldManJenkins wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:33 am
Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:04 pm Having a Mule as your mascot is kind of lame anyways so I guess adding Mighty to it can’t possibly make it sound worse 😂

Speaking of Mascots, does Punahou have one? I know that they’re the Punahou Buff n Blue. But is that it? Is their mascot just a name like the Alabama Crimson Tide? Or do they actually have some kind of physical Mascot? Like how Alabama also has an Elephant. Sorry, random question.
Our mascot is just a name, although students of ours dress in all blue for Homecoming games (or big ones).
@gopunahou. what happened to that buffalo mascot from the 80's? Wasn't the buffalo on the PE uniforms as well?
@OldManJenkins:

But even a buffalo as a mascot would be lame, right? I mean, I get that the "Buff" part of "Buffanblu" might be a thing, but, their official nickname still isn't, "Buffaloes". That's the official nickname of the University of Colorado, so we could see them using a buffalo.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

OldManJenkins wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:36 am Sorry but couldn't keep watching such a pathetic game, so lopsided. From what I saw those KSK DB's were getting burnt albeit give your QB time and things start to open up more
@OldManJenkins:

The only people who should be apologizing is the Kamehameha football team. Guys say, "Sorry" to apologize, but the Warriors' performance was all about sorry.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:42 am The ILH league admins apparently are not sanctioning games any of their member schools schedule against OIA teams this year before states.If they did,they would have to pay for insurance coverage on their own. I don’t know what that would cost,but I’m guessing the sum was large enough for Punahou to say no. Damien-Moanalua was downgraded to a scrimmage .
Insurance might be the reason that happened .Ditto for the Kamehameha-Kahuku game that also got reduced to a scrimmage format. Probably don’t need expensive insurance for a scrimmage.

Iolani has gone ahead and scheduled three OIA games before states. If they don’t reduce those to scrimmages, then I guess Iolani is willing to foot the insurance costs on their own to get some extra games.
@unpaid:

I'm guessing it might be something else besides insurance? There's no way any school would schedule even one game, let alone three, if they had to cover the insurance. If it were about insurance, even Kamehameha opted for a scrimmage. And, Kamehameha is one of the richest high schools in the nation. There's no way Iolani would cover the insurance for three games. Perhaps there's something else involved.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:47 pm
OldManJenkins wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:33 am
@OldManJenkins:

But even a buffalo as a mascot would be lame, right? I mean, I get that the "Buff" part of "Buffanblu" might be a thing, but, their official nickname still isn't, "Buffaloes". That's the official nickname of the University of Colorado, so we could see them using a buffalo.
Colorado does have a live buffalo as a mascot, I think his or her name is usually Ralphie. This current edition of Ralphie is actually a female buffalo.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Yes, I know; I've seen that buffalo on TV during some of their games. But, for Punahou School to have one on t-shirts, presumably just because of the first three letters of their nickname (Buff)?

Anyway, mascots aren't really necessary; mascots don't suit-up and play. Therefore, a school doesn't really need a mascot, right? It's the kind of thing that guys would say, "Whatever".