Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by gopunahou »

Punahou ain't playing Kahuku later on.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Jacob Makaiwi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Jacob Makaiwi »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:12 pm Punahou ain't playing Kahuku later on.
Shucks, I feel for you man. I wish the ILH and OIA started at the same time so that Punahou could have play more than just 5 games and played against more than just 2 teams all season. It really sucks that the Kahuku game now has to be cancelled. Even as an exhibition game it would have been good for the Punahou players and fun for fans to watch.

I know Punahou was expecting more, especially compared to the 2019 season where they were undoubtably the #2 team in the State. But they played great this year nonetheless. Good luck to the seniors in their next stages of life. Good job to Coach Kia for his first year after having to follow the helm of the great coach Ane. And Hopefully for the Buff and Blue John Keawe stays with them his Senior year and does well! Great season Punahou 🤙🏾

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:57 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:35 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:20 pm @gopunahou:

Tafiti is #18; he's on crutches. I think you can kiss this one goodbye; it's 28-0 at the half. But, there's still that Kahuku game; this isn't Punahou's last game. Also, the girls' volleyball team is still very much in the ILH D1 hunt, despite being upset by Kamehameha on Tuesday.
Back to football, it doesn't seem likely that Punahou will beat Kahuku. You might want to shift your focus to girls' volleyball. It's nowhere as big as football, of course, but it's better than nothing.
The Kahuku Punahou game is off. The game would only occur if Punahou won the ILH and went to states. Hawaii Prep World just put out an article to that effect.
@ChadFukuoka:

Oh. Well, looks like this is Punahou's last game. But like I was telling gopunahou, he might want to just shift-over to girls' volleyball; it's better than nothing, Punahou is doing quite well, and some of the matches are on TV.
Tomorrow Mater Dei plays its biggest traditional rival, Servite. My focus is on that. I'd love it if Mater Dei wins a national championship to make Colt Brennan smile in Heaven.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:56 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:35 pm

The Kahuku Punahou game is off. The game would only occur if Punahou won the ILH and went to states. Hawaii Prep World just put out an article to that effect.
@ChadFukuoka:

Oh. Well, looks like this is Punahou's last game. But like I was telling gopunahou, he might want to just shift-over to girls' volleyball; it's better than nothing, Punahou is doing quite well, and some of the matches are on TV.
Tomorrow Mater Dei plays its biggest traditional rival, Servite. My focus is on that. I'd love it if Mater Dei wins a national championship to make Colt Brennan smile in Heaven.
What’s your connection to Mater Dei? Do you know someone who went there?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:13 pm

@ChadFukuoka:

Just love cheering for them. Not only are they the "Punahou of California", one despicable former user here hates them.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:23 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:13 pm
Just love cheering for them. Not only are they the "Punahou of California", one despicable former user here hates them.
I didn’t know that was Colt Brennan’s alma mater. I believe St Louis was trying to schedule a game with them this year, but eventually decided to play up at Bishop Gorman instead. Seeing as St Louis isn’t quite as dominant this season, I’d imagine that game would have been a blowout loss, so maybe it’s better they didn’t play at all.

Jacob Makaiwi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Jacob Makaiwi »

My Friday night predictions and the outcomes:
- Mililani over Kapolei 31-14
- Mililani over Kapolei 20-0 ✅
- St.Louis over Punahou 35-24
- St. Louis over Punahou 35-0 ✅
- St Louis II over Kamehameha II 35-27
- St Louis II over Kamehameha II 33-19 ✅
- Kailua upset win over Waipahu 17-7
- Waipahu over Kailua 24-16 ❌
- Moanalua over Aiea 28-14
- Moanalua over Aiea 28-25 ✅
- Konawaena upset win over Hilo 21-14
- Konawaena over Hilo 24-21 ✅
- Lahainalua over Maui 38-0
- Lahainaluna over Maui 24-0 ✅
- Kaimuki over Kalani 20-7
- Kalani over Kaimuki 25-3 ❌
- Hawaii Prep over Honokaa 49-14
- Hawaii Prep over Honokaa 16-6 ✅

Some of my predicted scores were way off and some were kind of close, but either way 7 out of 9 games predicted right so far this weekend with the Kailua upset and the Kaimuki win predicted wrong. Congratulations to Konawaena for pulling off the upset against Hilo in overtime! Idk if the Hilo players had to drive all the way back to Hilo from Kona tonight, but that loss will make their trip back home feel even longer. Looking forward to tomorrow’s games. Such a blessing that the teams get to play this year!!!! 😁

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:28 am My Friday night predictions and the outcomes:
- Mililani over Kapolei 31-14
- Mililani over Kapolei 20-0 ✅
- St.Louis over Punahou 35-24
- St. Louis over Punahou 35-0 ✅
- St Louis II over Kamehameha II 35-27
- St Louis II over Kamehameha II 33-19 ✅
- Kailua upset win over Waipahu 17-7
- Waipahu over Kailua 24-16 ❌
- Moanalua over Aiea 28-14
- Moanalua over Aiea 28-25 ✅
- Konawaena upset win over Hilo 21-14
- Konawaena over Hilo 24-21 ✅
- Lahainalua over Maui 38-0
- Lahainaluna over Maui 24-0 ✅
- Hawaii Prep over Honokaa 49-14
- Hawaii Prep over Honokaa 16-6 ✅

Some of my predicted scores were way off and some were kind of close, but either way 7 out of 8 games predicted right so far this weekend with only the Kailua upset predicted wrong. Congratulations to Konawaena for pulling off the upset against Hilo in overtime! Idk if the Hilo players had to drive all the way back to Hilo from Kona tonight, but that loss will make their trip back home feel even longer. Looking forward to tomorrow’s games. Such a blessing that the teams get to play this year!!!! 😁
I don’t know a lot about the neighbor island teams, but isn’t Hilo in D1, and Konawaena in D2 for Big Island football? So that would be an upset, even if both teams usually make states in their respective divisions. I also think your Leilehua Mules can beat Waianae tomorrow night, even if it is their debut in the Open. I’m not sure if Leilehua is smaller than Waianae, but they seem to have the speed and talent at the receiver position to score on offense. Waianae, from what some people told me, are losing a lot of players to schools like Campbell and Kapolei, so maybe the talent pipeline isn’t as strong as it used to be. Them, along with Farrington, are two teams that used to be fairly decent for a long time, and in Waianae’s case, sometimes OIA champions, but have struggled since the Open division was created.

Jacob Makaiwi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Jacob Makaiwi »

@chad fukuoka
Good question man! Konawaena and Hilo are both in Divison 1. And two years can make a big difference, but I picked Konawaena to upset Hilo because in 2019 Konawaena pretty much smashed every team they played in Hawaii and only lost to Hilo. Mind you they did get smashed by Hilo all 3 games in 2019, but that Hilo team was amazing going 14-0 with average points of 50.3 per game and average points of 6.3 allowed per game that season while also beating Leilehua and Iolani to win it all in the end.

So I was thinking Konawaena would be extra hungry to beat Hilo this time around. Plus they were playing at home. So great upset win for them! That must have been a fun game for Konawaena players, especially winning in overtime against the reigning D1 State and Big Island champion at home. Idk if there’s a rivalry because it’s the 2 main cities playing against each other, but if they weren’t a rival before, Hilo definitely sees them as a rival now!
Last edited by Jacob Makaiwi on Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jacob Makaiwi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Jacob Makaiwi »

@ChadFukuoka
As for Leilehua and Waianae we’ll see. I don’t know about Waianae other than the box score and stats against Mililani. But I think Leilehua should have a close win against them. I would be absolutely ecstatic if they won decisively by at least 20 points. That would raise people’s eyebrows including mine pertaining to the Mules. Unfortunately Leilehua doesn’t look too good to me at the QB position. Like you said, they have good speedy receivers and almost always do, but that’s useless without a good QB. The Mighty Mules have been fortunate since the 2000’s at the QB position with studs like Moniz, Manley, Sadenaga, and Jenks. But Leilehua has not had a QB of that caliber in many years. And as of the highlights I’ve studied and the Kailua scrimmage last weekend, it don’t look too strong at the QB spot.

Hopefully that will change. I think the Mules D will have to carry them until the O can catch up. I believe all the right pieces are there to make a good splash this year. I think they may be able to run the ball more often since their starting linemen are giant this year. And the defense looks decent as always and has a great Defensive mind in Head Coach Kurisu. Just the QB (pretty much a passing team’s most important player unfortunately) is where I’m not sure. If we had an RB like Sio Bartley that would help a ton, but idk about that either. I’m excited and nervous to see how their offense does and what their offense does this year. Go Mules!

Btw your alma mater had a really close game against Moanalua! That must really boost Aiea’s confidence. Good luck to Nā Alii this year my friend 🤙🏾

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:27 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:12 pm Punahou ain't playing Kahuku later on.
Shucks, I feel for you man. I wish the ILH and OIA started at the same time so that Punahou could have play more than just 5 games and played against more than just 2 teams all season. It really sucks that the Kahuku game now has to be cancelled. Even as an exhibition game it would have been good for the Punahou players and fun for fans to watch.

I know Punahou was expecting more, especially compared to the 2019 season where they were undoubtably the #2 team in the State. But they played great this year nonetheless. Good luck to the seniors in their next stages of life. Good job to Coach Kia for his first year after having to follow the helm of the great coach Ane. And Hopefully for the Buff and Blue John Keawe stays with them his Senior year and does well! Great season Punahou 🤙🏾
Thanks. It's disappointing that a lot of proud streaks of ours ended this year. Beaten three times by one team for the first time ever, shut out for the first time since 2007, losing four straight games for the first time since 1992, and finishing below 3rd place in the ILH since 2004. Streaks don't last forever--just ask St. Louis about that. We were relying on a ton of underclassmen last night, so I hope this isn't a sign of things to come (even though we bring back a talented group of kids next year and should be contenders next year and 2023). I'm glad that Coach Nate notched a victory over a legitimate Open team, something Coach Ane couldn't do his first four years (he even had a losing record against Iolani his first three years). This year was much better than our ugly stretches from 1983-87 and 1997-2004. There is one despicable, former user here that wishes to see us revert those ugly stretches again. That's also the last thing Punahou alumnni wish to see. But to improve, we'll need more consistency on offense and less big plays against our defense.

I hope Kamehameha takes the ILH, though I honestly hope an OIA team takes states. Beating St. Louis three times in a season is nearly impossible--it's only happened once. I also wonder if Kamehameha's third bye before their matchup with St. Louis will hurt them. Sure didn't help us last night. KSK's current coach played on teams that always gave St. Louis their greatest challenge in the ILH. Their 1999 team might one of the greatest ever to never win the state championship (just like our 2019 team).

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Dam 0-3 on the big picks. I'm done

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

go Punahou is right. For the sake of the ILH, StL. monopoly is not healthy for other programs.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

TheNewNORM wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:15 am go Punahou is right. For the sake of the ILH, StL. monopoly is not healthy for other programs.
I am interested to see how St Louis does after the Lee brothers retire. Will the Saints continue their dominance, or will the ILH be wide open every year?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@gopunahou: Yes, ChadFukuoka explained. That might be better. This is an opportunity for Punahou alumni to cut clean from football, put it behind them, and look to other sports like girls' volleyball. Again, Punahou's girls are doing quite well, and they'll probably play on TV at least once more down the line. If fact, I think they'll be on TV Tuesday, when they play Iolani. And then, a really big sport is waiting in the wings: Boys' basketball. I've heard some schools are already starting tryouts. And, Punahou is usually good in boys' basketball. Of course, that sport is still some ways down the line, but it's coming. Again, some schools are already starting tryouts.