Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by OldManJenkins »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:02 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:48 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Might very well be. Notice that Moanalua High and Damien School are in different leagues. If it was a "controlled scrimmage" like the Kamehameha v Kahuku game, it probably wasn't publicized because neither Moanalua nor Damien are ranked.
The timing works well for both teams anyway. Moanalua starts their season in the OIA D1 this weekend, and would want a warm up before that, and Damien had a gap in between their last ILH game and this week’s D1 championship game against Iolani.
Pretty sure there was an article that said Iolani was the D1 champ and no championship game this week.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@OldManJenkins:

I think you're right, now that you mentioned it. Now I, too, recall reading in the paper some time ago that Iolani had already wrapped-up the ILH D1 title. Well, that sucks even more for Damien alumni, but they still have a potent girls' volleyball team, ranked #5 in the state despite being only in D2. It seems likely that Damien will go to states, but they can't afford to get complacent. As it is, they were upset by Maryknoll late last month. And, Le Jardin is also pretty strong. Damien did beat them last week, but needed five sets to do it. Assuming only two ILH D2 schools go to States, Damien has to watch-out for Le Jardin and Maryknoll.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

OldManJenkins wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:04 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:48 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Might very well be. Notice that Moanalua High and Damien School are in different leagues. If it was a "controlled scrimmage" like the Kamehameha v Kahuku game, it probably wasn't publicized because neither Moanalua nor Damien are ranked.
The timing works well for both teams anyway. Moanalua starts their season in the OIA D1 this weekend, and would want a warm up before that, and Damien had a gap in between their last ILH game and this week’s D1 championship game against Iolani.
Pretty sure there was an article that said Iolani was the D1 champ and no championship game this week.
I wasn’t aware of that. Iolani deserves to be champions, they went undefeated in league play.

Jacob Makaiwi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Jacob Makaiwi »

Just a fun pattern I noticed. Hawaii Top Division State Championship games:

1999- St Louis & Kahuku
2000- St Louis & Kahuku
2001- St Louis & Kahuku
2002- St Louis & Castle (other OIA team)
2003- St.Louis & Kahuku
2004- Kamehameha & Leilehua

Here’s the current situation:

2015- St Louis & Kahuku
2016- St Louis & Kahuku
2017- St Louis & Kahuku
2018- St Louis & Mililani (other OIA team)
2019- St Louis & Kahuku
2021- ????????????

Of course patterns is not how this works and I’m no conspiracy theorist. I just thought it was a funny coincidence we’re in! Plus Leilehua is my hometown team/favorite team and Kamehameha is my alma mater so I’m rooting for them both. Repeat history this year Kamehameha and Leilehua 😂🤙🏾

Jacob Makaiwi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Jacob Makaiwi »

And I know it’s way too early in the OIA season, but from what I see I think Kahuku has the best chance to win it all. As of today, I think it’s going to be Kahuku vs. Kamehameha in the State championship game with Kahuku crowned at the end. But I really hope it will be Leilehua vs. Kamehameha with Leilehua winning another state championship! Thinking vs.Hopes.

So here’s some questions 😁
As of this moment in the season:
1. Who do you think will win it all in the Open Division this year?
2. Which 2 teams do you think will play in the Open Championship game?
3. Which 2 Open teams do you hope will play in the championship?
4. And which Open team do you hope will win it all?

I think I know what @gopunahou will say for question 4 😂

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:37 am And I know it’s way too early in the OIA season, but from what I see I think Kahuku has the best chance to win it all. As of today, I think it’s going to be Kahuku vs. Kamehameha in the State championship game with Kahuku crowned at the end. But I really hope it will be Leilehua vs. Kamehameha with Leilehua winning another state championship! Thinking vs.Hopes.
P
So here’s some questions

1. St Louis

2. St Louis and Kahuku

3. Kamehameha and Mililani

4. Kamehemeha

Since the ILH championship game is winner take all, and there is no second chance for Kamehameha, despite having the top seed, I can see St Louis breaking through in the end.

I would prefer Kamehemeha since they have played so well during the season, and in my mind, deserve to go to states. But it’s difficult to beat a team 3 teams, especially when the team you’re trying to beat was the favorite to win the league at the beginning of the season.

I picked Mililani out of the OIA, because I live there, and have friends who are passionate fans and attend all the home games. I wouldn’t mind seeing my alma mater Aiea win the OIA D1, but they are struggling, and have been for a while. I’d say either Kailua or Moanalua wins that division. Maybe Waipahu as well. Can’t see Aiea, Castle, or Roosevelt winning.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Found this article: https://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/footbal ... t-win-ilh/

Not only does it say that we can only play Kahuku if we win the ILH, it also says the winner of the this Friday’s game has gotta beat Kamehameha twice to win the ILH.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

So my picks for Open weekend.

**Punahou over StL. over under 59. / UPSET SPECIAL

*Leileihua over Waianae not a upset. Waianae has a new coach, program, and multiple kids playing in the ILH and poached to other OIA teams. over under 35.

**Kapolei over Mililani. over under 45./ UPSET SPECIAL

Kahuku over Farrington. over under 42

My pick to win it all, Kahuku.
Open Championship Game....Kamehameha vs. Kahuku (2010 rematch)

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:02 pm
OldManJenkins wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:04 pm

I wasn’t aware of that. Iolani deserves to be champions, they went undefeated in league play.
@ChadFukuoka: Well, that's true, but at the same time, lets keep in mind that Kamehameha II and St Louis II were JV teams. St Louis II had a chance to beat Iolani, but they screwed-up in the 2nd half.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:57 pm Found this article: https://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/footbal ... t-win-ilh/

Not only does it say that we can only play Kahuku if we win the ILH, it also says the winner of the this Friday’s game has gotta beat Kamehameha twice to win the ILH.
Make sense for Kahuku. That "game" was scheduled in between Mililani and Campbell weekend, probably the other top tier OIA teams. So yes , you need to mend. And it would be a disadvantage if Punahou plays a physical Kahuku after winning 3 straight to win the ILH.
Other scenario is if Kahuku beats Punahou, and Kahuku loses the OIA, then Punahou plays Mililani or Campbell.
At this point, Kahuku plays ALL games away, so all bye weeks are welcome. Just hope if Kahuku makes it to the single OIA championship then that game be played at a neutral field like Farrington or Leileihua.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:37 am Just a fun pattern I noticed. Hawaii Top Division State Championship games:

1999- St Louis & Kahuku
2000- St Louis & Kahuku
2001- St Louis & Kahuku
2002- St Louis & Castle (other OIA team)
2003- St.Louis & Kahuku
2004- Kamehameha & Leilehua

Here’s the current situation:

2015- St Louis & Kahuku
2016- St Louis & Kahuku
2017- St Louis & Kahuku
2018- St Louis & Mililani (other OIA team)
2019- St Louis & Kahuku
2021- ????????????

Of course patterns is not how this works and I’m no conspiracy theorist. I just thought it was a funny coincidence we’re in! Plus Leilehua is my hometown team/favorite team and Kamehameha is my alma mater so I’m rooting for them both. Repeat history this year Kamehameha and Leilehua 😂🤙🏾
@Jacob Makaiwi: The pattern at the top is no surprise; it simply reflects the fact that St Louis and Kahuku have dominated their respective leagues for most of the past quarter-century. That may breed resentment in some guys, but I could think of a few schools that I would have hated to see take St Louis' and Kahuku's places.

I like Kamehameha, but I just don't see them taking ILH Open. Yes, they're on top now, but that's only now. St Louis plays Punahou this weekend, and I expect St Louis to win. Then St Louis plays Kamehameha, and that's where I have a bad feeling that Kamehameha will lose. They were lucky to beat them the past two times, and I think they'll need just as much luck to beat them a third time. Unfortunately, there's no reason to believe they'll get it. St Louis is just a little too much, especially their pass game. The only way Kamehameha can pull if off, I think, is if their defensive front-seven have the game of their lives. They're going to have to get after St Louis QB Bianco like they never have before; they're going to have to rock him, get in his face, get in his head.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:37 am And I know it’s way too early in the OIA season, but from what I see I think Kahuku has the best chance to win it all. As of today, I think it’s going to be Kahuku vs. Kamehameha in the State championship game with Kahuku crowned at the end. But I really hope it will be Leilehua vs. Kamehameha with Leilehua winning another state championship! Thinking vs.Hopes.

So here’s some questions 😁

@Jacob Makaiwi:

I think you're making the mistake of leaving St Louis behind. They're not done yet; they play Punahou this weekend, and then they'll play Kamehameha. Unfortunately, I see them beating Kamehameha. If St Louis takes ILH Open, I see them winning States Open. As for Leilehua, I don't see them going anywhere this year. To answer your four questions:

1. St Louis
2. St Louis and Kahuku
3. Kamehameha and Kahuku (I have a soft spot for Kamehameha Schools)
4. Kamehameha

Even if Punahou were to take ILH Open, which I think is unlikely but still a possibility, I don't see them getting past Kahuku in States.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:42 pm
P
So here’s some questions

1. St Louis

2. St Louis and Kahuku

4. Kamehemeha

Since the ILH championship game is winner take all, and there is no second chance for Kamehameha, despite having the top seed, I can see St Louis breaking through in the end.

I would prefer Kamehemeha since they have played so well during the season, and in my mind, deserve to go to states. But it’s difficult to beat a team 3 teams, especially when the team you’re trying to beat was the favorite to win the league at the beginning of the season.

I picked Mililani out of the OIA, because I live there, and have friends who are passionate fans and attend all the home games. I wouldn’t mind seeing my alma mater Aiea win the OIA D1, but they are struggling, and have been for a while. I’d say either Kailua or Moanalua wins that division. Maybe Waipahu as well. Can’t see Aiea, Castle, or Roosevelt winning.
@Chad Fukuoka:

I, too, think St Louis will "break through" in the end. True, if life were fair, Kamehameha should win ILH Open. Even if St Louis beats them two weeks from now, Kamehameha would still have won the series, 2-1. But, no one said life is fair.

Mililani is not out of the question. In fact, some polls had them ranked above Kahuku. And yes, unfortunately, Aiea probably won't be going anywhere. They just don't have the kind of players they need to make a run at the OIA D1 title. Moanalua smashed Damien, but a number of OIA D1 schools would have done the same. And I agree, Kailua will probably be the biggest threat to Moanalua. For one thing, I think it's very likely that Kailua will have a size advantage in the trenches. I don't see Waipahu as a threat this year.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:39 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:42 pm
P
So here’s some questions

1. St Louis

2. St Louis and Kahuku

4. Kamehemeha

@Chad Fukuoka:

I, too, think St Louis will "break through" in the end. True, if life were fair, Kamehameha should win ILH Open. Even if St Louis beats them two weeks from now, Kamehameha would still have won the series, 2-1. But, no one said life is fair.

Mililani is not out of the question. In fact, some polls had them ranked above Kahuku. And yes, unfortunately, Aiea probably won't be going anywhere. They just don't have the kind of players they need to make a run at the OIA D1 title. Moanalua smashed Damien, but a number of OIA D1 schools would have done the same. And I agree, Kailua will probably be the biggest threat to Moanalua. For one thing, I think it's very likely that Kailua will have a size advantage in the trenches. I don't see Waipahu as a threat this year.
The article I posted said that St. Louis or Punahou can only win the ILH if they beat Kamehameha twice.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:57 pm Found this article: https://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/footbal ... t-win-ilh/

@gopunahou: I hope that that article is right. Kamehameha was the winner of the ILH regular season, so they should have the opportunity to play the winner of the ILH tourney. Otherwise, being the regular-season winner means nothing.