Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:52 pm @gopunahou: What upsets me is that the Star-Advertiser has Iolani School ranked at #7. #7! Isn't that kind of high? I think so. I mean, I could see perhaps #10, but not #7. Especially with their smallish O-line. By the way, gopunahou, sorry about how I was venting about your alma mater winning that volleyball game. You know, of course, that it's not about you; it's about your alma mater. The thing is that Punahou School wins so often in so many sports, so naturally guys (well, guys who aren't Punahou alumni) resent it. But, at the same time, I must admit that you and your alma mater take it well and in-stride. I have to give you and your alma mater credit for that.
If you question their rankings, talk to them or ignore them. Some people hold some idiotic opinions about rankings. There was one person who claimed that OIA teams eligible for the state tournament should be ranked higher than ILH teams with better records than those ILH teams (for example, in 2015, he felt that Waianae should have been ranked higher than Punahou, even though we likely would've beaten them).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:22 pm
OldManJenkins wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:52 pm Wow I would hate to be an Iolani lover on this forum hahaha Disclaimer: my nephews play for Iolani and some other schools. Somewhat new to the football forums and the passion you guys have is great!
If there wasn't any divisions in Football would schools like Iolani, Kalani, Damien drop their programs entirely? A lot of these lower division schools seem like FB is dying as noted from their roster numbers (not just covid but even before) From an admin point they would be protecting the health and well being of their kids, especially a school like Iolani where the tuition is outrageous!!! I'm sure most private school parents are paying to invest in their kids brains rather than careers except of course Saint Louis, you pay to play football!
At Iolani,I am assuming the kids are not pursuing a career in FB these days having their sights on higher academic achievements as @chadFukuoka mentioned and play for fun (albeit Look sure doesn't act like it, is that guy ever happy on camera??? wtf).
So did some digging and noticed with Iolani it seems a lot of their FB stars started in 7th grade or earlier and I don't think they were being recruited then. Opposed to Punahou where a lot of standouts seem to start in the 9th grade. St Louis, well every football player seems to want to go there from every grade.
@OldManJenkins: Well, to tell you the truth, I suspect there are more guys on this high school forum who dislike Punahou School than there are those who dislike Iolani School. Speaking for myself, I dislike both schools, but especially Punahou School. I hate when that school wins in anything. Yesterday the ILH girls' volleyball season began, and the Kamehameha vs Punahou match was on OC16. Punahou School won, and I really resented it. Thing is, Kamehameha Schools' best player, Devin Kahahawai, is on a recruiting trip on the mainland, so she wasn't here for the match. I think that if she were here, Kamehameha might have beaten Punahou. I mean, when a school's best player isn't playing, it's going to have an effect. What killed me is that I heard Kahahawai committed to the University of Texas, and I do not like that college; it really broke my heart. I was hoping that she might commit to UH, my alma mater. I heard UH did make her an offer, but she obviously turned it down. I think that absolutely, totally sucks, big-time. Absolutely heartbreaking: Local girl snubs the home team. Worse, she might be the best female high school volleyball player in the state, and the home team won't get her. I don't know, I'm kind of distressed about it, honestly. I mean, I'm not mad at the girl, as she has the right to play for whichever college she wants. But, I'm heartbroken. I hope she gets homesick after one year and transfers to UH! After all, it's not like UH sucks in women's volleyball; UH is definitely a respectable college for women's volleyball. Get homesick, Devin! Come home!
If there weren't different divisions in football, I don't think weak football schools would drop football entirely; I think they'd just forfeit games against schools that are too big and physical for them. If they dropped football entirely, I think their respective alumni would raise a big stink, especially the guys who played football while they were at those schools. As for St Louis School, yes: I think it's all about football, as far as the parents of the football players are concerned. Besides, St Louis School's academics aren't as strong as Iolani School's or Punahou School's, anyway. As for Iolani School, yes, I doubt that any of their players have the NFL in their sights; there's such a strong emphasis on academics at that school. It's, get a good high school education, and play high school football as something "extra." Regarding Look, yeah, the guy sure seems dour on camera. I think that's his genuine persona, kind of like the "Cal Muramaru of football." I mean, have you watched Mid-Pac Institute's baseball coach Muramaru on camera? And, the funny thing is that both coaches have been quite successful in their respective sports, haven't they? Finally, your last paragraph seems to suggest that Iolani School doesn't recruit in football, but gopunahou is adamant that they do.
I think UH Women’s Volleyball is in an interesting place. It’s difficult to replace a legend like Dave Shoji, who basically built an empire from scratch. A lot of times, teams in any sport struggle once their legendary coach retires. Look at Nebraska football after Tom Osborne, UCLA basketball after John Wooden, even Hawaii football after June Jones. Sometimes, a team never reaches their past glory. I’m not a big volleyball fan, but I do wonder and hope for the loyal fans here in Hawaii, that Robyn Ah Mow can recruit and develop her players as well as Shoji did.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:18 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:52 pm @gopunahou: What upsets me is that the Star-Advertiser has Iolani School ranked at #7. #7! Isn't that kind of high? I think so. I mean, I could see perhaps #10, but not #7. Especially with their smallish O-line. By the way, gopunahou, sorry about how I was venting about your alma mater winning that volleyball game. You know, of course, that it's not about you; it's about your alma mater. The thing is that Punahou School wins so often in so many sports, so naturally guys (well, guys who aren't Punahou alumni) resent it. But, at the same time, I must admit that you and your alma mater take it well and in-stride. I have to give you and your alma mater credit for that.
If you question their rankings, talk to them or ignore them. Some people hold some idiotic opinions about rankings. There was one person who claimed that OIA teams eligible for the state tournament should be ranked higher than ILH teams with better records than those ILH teams (for example, in 2015, he felt that Waianae should have been ranked higher than Punahou, even though we likely would've beaten them).
@gopunahou: Well, I wouldn't go to the trouble of contacting them, but, how does Iolani get ranked as high as #7? OK, they have a good RB in Bantolino. But, he needs blocking from his O-line, and the O-line is smallish: Only one player 200' or more. They've been doing OK, but what happens when they play a school that has a big, powerful, kick-butt D-line? Again, I wish I knew more about St Louis II's D-line. I hope they're at least big; big enough to kick some Iolani O-line butt.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:23 pm
OldManJenkins wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:52 pm Wow I would hate to be an Iolani lover on this forum hahaha Disclaimer: my nephews play for Iolani and some other schools. Somewhat new to the football forums and the passion you guys have is great!
If there wasn't any divisions in Football would schools like Iolani, Kalani, Damien drop their programs entirely? A lot of these lower division schools seem like FB is dying as noted from their roster numbers (not just covid but even before) From an admin point they would be protecting the health and well being of their kids, especially a school like Iolani where the tuition is outrageous!!! I'm sure most private school parents are paying to invest in their kids brains rather than careers except of course Saint Louis, you pay to play football!
At Iolani,I am assuming the kids are not pursuing a career in FB these days having their sights on higher academic achievements as @chadFukuoka mentioned and play for fun (albeit Look sure doesn't act like it, is that guy ever happy on camera??? wtf).
So did some digging and noticed with Iolani it seems a lot of their FB stars started in 7th grade or earlier and I don't think they were being recruited then. Opposed to Punahou where a lot of standouts seem to start in the 9th grade. St Louis, well every football player seems to want to go there from every grade.
@OldManJenkins: Well, to tell you the truth, I suspect there are more guys on this high school forum who dislike Punahou School than there are those who dislike Iolani School. Speaking for myself, I dislike both schools, but especially Punahou School. I hate when that school wins in anything. Yesterday the ILH girls' volleyball season began, and the Kamehameha vs Punahou match was on OC16. Punahou School won, and I really resented it. Thing is, Kamehameha Schools' best player, Devin Kahahawai, is on a recruiting trip on the mainland, so she wasn't here for the match. I think that if she were here, Kamehameha might have beaten Punahou. I mean, when a school's best player isn't playing, it's going to have an effect. What killed me is that I heard Kahahawai committed to the University of Texas, and I do not like that college; it really broke my heart. I was hoping that she might commit to UH, my alma mater. I heard UH did make her an offer, but she obviously turned it down. I think that absolutely, totally sucks, big-time. Absolutely heartbreaking: Local girl snubs the home team. Worse, she might be the best female high school volleyball player in the state, and the home team won't get her. I don't know, I'm kind of distressed about it, honestly. I mean, I'm not mad at the girl, as she has the right to play for whichever college she wants. But, I'm heartbroken. I hope she gets homesick after one year and transfers to UH! After all, it's not like UH sucks in women's volleyball; UH is definitely a respectable college for women's volleyball. Get homesick, Devin! Come home!
If there weren't different divisions in football, I don't think weak football schools would drop football entirely; I think they'd just forfeit games against schools that are too big and physical for them. If they dropped football entirely, I think their respective alumni would raise a big stink, especially the guys who played football while they were at those schools. As for St Louis School, yes: I think it's all about football, as far as the parents of the football players are concerned. Besides, St Louis School's academics aren't as strong as Iolani School's or Punahou School's, anyway. As for Iolani School, yes, I doubt that any of their players have the NFL in their sights; there's such a strong emphasis on academics at that school. It's, get a good high school education, and play high school football as something "extra." Regarding Look, yeah, the guy sure seems dour on camera. I think that's his genuine persona, kind of like the "Cal Muramaru of football." I mean, have you watched Mid-Pac Institute's baseball coach Muramaru on camera? And, the funny thing is that both coaches have been quite successful in their respective sports, haven't they? Finally, your last paragraph seems to suggest that Iolani School doesn't recruit in football, but gopunahou is adamant that they do.
I think UH Women’s Volleyball is in an interesting place. It’s difficult to replace a legend like Dave Shoji, who basically built an empire from scratch. A lot of times, teams in any sport struggle once their legendary coach retires. Look at Nebraska football after Tom Osborne, UCLA basketball after John Wooden, even Hawaii football after June Jones. Sometimes, a team never reaches their past glory. I’m not a big volleyball fan, but I do wonder and hope for the loyal fans here in Hawaii, that Robyn Ah Mow can recruit and develop her players as well as Shoji did.
@gopunahou:
Well, you wonder: What makes a good volleyball coach? I don't know a whole lot about volleyball; basically, all I know is what the commentators say on the OC16-broadcast high school games. I don't think Ah Mow sucks as a coach; I think the problem is that she doesn't have the players this year that Shoji had most years. I would have loved to see Kahahawai put-on Hawaii green next year; she's probably the best female high school player in the state this year. But instead, she's going to wear Texas burnt-orange next year. As a UH alumnus, to me that sucks. I hope she gets homesick and transfers to UH. That girl has the height and talent to take UH far.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Interesting that people mention Dave Shoji. Guess which schools his sons are graduates of.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou: Sorry; I meant to address the volleyball comment to ChadFukuoka. I thought you had created that volleyball post, so I addressed it to you instead. Anyway, I know one of his boys went to Iolani School, and the other went to your alma mater.
By the way, speaking of women's volleyball: Punahou alumna Jackie Matias is now on the women's volleyball team at UH. She graduated from Punahou School just this past school year. She's not as good as Kahahawai, but still quite good. I think she played libero for the Puns, and she was a starter; she wasn't a bench-warmer. Why couldn't Kahahawai have committed to UH, too? Matias had committed to UH while she was a senior at Punahou School. Why couldn't what was good enough for Matias, be good enough for Kahahawai? I keep thinking of Kahahawai as, "the one that got away".

OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by OldManJenkins »

speaking v-ball gopun must not be too happy. Pun got swept by the most hated... Sorry dude couldn't resist. It's still early in season, they just got to put it together
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:33 pm

@gopunahou:
Well, you wonder: What makes a good volleyball coach? I don't know a whole lot about volleyball; basically, all I know is what the commentators say on the OC16-broadcast high school games. I don't think Ah Mow sucks as a coach; I think the problem is that she doesn't have the players this year that Shoji had most years. I would have loved to see Kahahawai put-on Hawaii green next year; she's probably the best female high school player in the state this year. But instead, she's going to wear Texas burnt-orange next year. As a UH alumnus, to me that sucks. I hope she gets homesick and transfers to UH. That girl has the height and talent to take UH far.
Hawaii has historically had a great women’s volleyball team under Dave Shoji. Now that he is gone, there may be uncertainty among potential recruits about the program.

Even though women’s volleyball isn’t as big of a sport as football or men’s basketball, for some people, playing in a major conference for a name brand school makes a difference. Texas is in the Big 12, soon to transfer with Oklahoma to the SEC. Both are “power” conferences, their teams play a ton of major conference opponents, and non conference opponents. For some recruits, that matters. More in football and basketball, but even in volleyball, maybe this girl wants to experience living somewhere else, playing for a national contender (Texas is ranked #1 as of now), and trying to be a face of a program.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

OldManJenkins wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:03 pm speaking v-ball gopun must not be too happy. Pun got swept by the most hated... Sorry dude couldn't resist. It's still early in season, they just got to put it together
@OldManJenkins: Yes; that was a major upset, especially to get swept. Even if Iolani had won, say, 3-2, it would have been an upset. I had Punahou finishing 2nd in ILH D1 this year, and Iolani finishing 3rd. And when you say, "by the most hated", that's not necessarily an exaggeration. I think the rivalry between Iolani School and Punahou School is the most bitter rivalry on Oahu. It goes back some 40 years. I know an '80 Iolani alumnus, and he told me some years back that there was a feeling of hatred towards Punahou School when he was a student at Iolani School; not just by him, but by the student body as a whole. I mean, he should know; he went there. I have to assume that the feeling is mutual, and that Punahou School hates Iolani School, too. Punahou alumni must be especially pissed; I mean, Punahou had swept Kamehameha just three days ago, and I have Kamehameha winning ILH D1 this year. (However, Kamehameha was missing its best player, Devin Kahahawai, who's on a recruiting trip to the mainland.) So, they must have been on cloud nine, and for Iolani to shoot Punahou down in straight sets, well, that must have been devastating for Punahou alumni. They must have come crashing-down in flames. I can't begin to imagine how the Punahou players feel; they must be shell-shocked. Next week Tuesday, the Iolani team goes to Kamehameha's gym to play the Warriors. If Kahahawai isn't back from her recruiting trip, the Warriors will almost certainly get their butts kicked, and in their own house.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:27 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:33 pm

@gopunahou:
Hawaii has historically had a great women’s volleyball team under Dave Shoji. Now that he is gone, there may be uncertainty among potential recruits about the program.

Even though women’s volleyball isn’t as big of a sport as football or men’s basketball, for some people, playing in a major conference for a name brand school makes a difference. Texas is in the Big 12, soon to transfer with Oklahoma to the SEC. Both are “power” conferences, their teams play a ton of major conference opponents, and non conference opponents. For some recruits, that matters. More in football and basketball, but even in volleyball, maybe this girl wants to experience living somewhere else, playing for a national contender (Texas is ranked #1 as of now), and trying to be a face of a program.
@ChadFukuoka: I think current UH coach Ah Mow is a very decent coach. But, she can't get UH soaring unless quality players (like Kamehameha Schools' Devin Kahahawai) join the team.

Brand name? I think UH is a brand name; they won the NCAA women's title back in the mid- or late-'80s. I don't think they were in a "power" conference back then. Yes, some students want to "get away" after graduating from high school, and play for a kick-butt college. But, I'm hoping that Kahahawai gets homesick, and transfers to UH. OK, UH isn't as strong as Texas, but they're very respectable; it's not like they suck. I would much rather see Kahahawai wear Hawaii green than Texas burnt-orange. As it is, the thought of her taking-off Kamehameha blue and putting-on Texas burnt-orange makes me cringe. I guess it's because I like Kamehameha Schools, but I don't care for the University of Texas. I'm asking the volleyball gods to arrange for her to have a change of heart. At some point--and the sooner, the better--I'd love to hear her say, "I miss Hawaii; it's not the same here in Texas. Leaving UT is a big decision, and I've had to really search my heart, you know? But, I've made-up my mind: I'm coming home. I'm coming home, and I'm going to play for UH. I just think that's where I belong. I didn't realize it before, but now I do. It was good to have the experience of living in another state for a while, and seeing how they do things. But, now it's time to move-on." I would jump for joy. That would take a miracle, and it may take a while. But, aren't miracles what gods are for?

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

It’s raining heavily all over the island from what people are saying. I don’t think this will slow down the St Louis passing attack. If Kamehameha does have a decent running game, like they showed in a close loss against Punahou, maybe they can slow down the pace of the game and keep the Crusaders off the field. That would probably be their only chance to win, a tight low scoring game in poor weather conditions.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka: I don't give Kamehameha much of a chance. I mean, yes, they barely lost to Punahou, but St Louis blew-away Punahou. As good as Kamehameha's run game may be, St Louis has a better pass game, and they have a decent run game. St Louis usually doesn't have a run game, but this year they do. Not only do they have decent RBs; they have a thick O-line. In fact, the O-line is their strength this year.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Kamehameha 10, St. Louis 0

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:08 pm @ChadFukuoka: I don't give Kamehameha much of a chance. I mean, yes, they barely lost to Punahou, but St Louis blew-away Punahou. As good as Kamehameha's run game may be, St Louis has a better pass game, and they have a decent run game. St Louis usually doesn't have a run game, but this year they do. Not only do they have decent RBs; they have a thick O-line. In fact, the O-line is their strength this year.
It’s 10-0 Kamehameha, midway through the second quarter. The Warriors pass rush and secondary coverage is smothering the Crusaders.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

23-14 Kamehameha

If I were a Kamehameha fan, I'm thinking "it ain't over till it's over." I've seen St. Louis pull out of worse.