2021 HS Football Discussion

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

2021 HS Football Discussion

Post by gopunahou »

Nate Kia is the new head man at Punahou. He's a Punahou and University of Utah graduate. I'm pretty confident that his tenure won't start out like and resemble the late 1990s for us. I'm also pretty confident that it'll go much better than UH's experience of hiring a Punahou and University of Utah graduate (Norm Chow).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Re: 2021 HS Football Discussion

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:00 pm Nate Kia is the new head man at Punahou. He's a Punahou and University of Utah graduate. I'm pretty confident that his tenure won't start out like and resemble the late 1990s for us. I'm also pretty confident that it'll go much better than UH's experience of hiring a Punahou and University of Utah graduate (Norm Chow).
I just hope this season starts on time. And we get a full schedule of games, regular season and state tournaments. I know the first week of August was supposed to be the start date, but teams need to know for sure, to do their normal offseason conditioning, organizing pass leagues, 7 on 7 type scrimmages, etc. along with scheduling any preseason scrimmages or exhibitions.

I hope the alliance continues as well. I’m assuming it does, but I don’t think it’s been confirmed either.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

State government has already said current restrictions could remain in place until October if vaccination rates don’t start improving. One local blue-chip recruits father has already been quoted as saying his son is already enrolled in a mainland high school as a precaution against another canceled Hawaii prep sports slate.

State start dates for summer camps are tentative. Here’s the familiar part. They could start at times a month apart. You could glean from that ,if there is already a plan for postponing practice dates,there is the possibility that the regular season could be pushed back. You know what happened last year when the season got pushed back to spring.No football,apart from those ILH/club scrimmages.

Get the shot people.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

The Maui News had an interesting article on what the MIL football season would look like. The MIL president said that the regular season would be MIL only.No games would be played against mainland and schools from other islands although scrimmages against teams from other islands could happen during camp. During state playoffs MIL schools would play opponents from other leagues.

The source indicated that the MIL was hammering out a schedule that they will backdate from state tournament dates which have not been released by the HHSAA yet,although the president said he was expecting them to make that announcement today or Monday. He thought the HHSAA was holding off on announcing plans until the BOE gave further guidance on restrictions.

I wonder if the indication that the MIL season will be league only until states gives a clue as to why St.Louis seems to be trying to load up on mainland schools for the Crusader schedule. If it is possible that the ILH and OIA follow suit and are league only until states, then St.Louis,Kamehameha,and Punahou have a lot of open dates to fill.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

unpaid wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:04 am The Maui News had an interesting article on what the MIL football season would look like. The MIL president said that the regular season would be MIL only.No games would be played against mainland and schools from other islands although scrimmages against teams from other islands could happen during camp. During state playoffs MIL schools would play opponents from other leagues.

The source indicated that the MIL was hammering out a schedule that they will backdate from state tournament dates which have not been released by the HHSAA yet,although the president said he was expecting them to make that announcement today or Monday. He thought the HHSAA was holding off on announcing plans until the BOE gave further guidance on restrictions.

I wonder if the indication that the MIL season will be league only until states gives a clue as to why St.Louis seems to be trying to load up on mainland schools for the Crusader schedule. If it is possible that the ILH and OIA follow suit and are league only until states, then St.Louis,Kamehameha,and Punahou have a lot of open dates to fill.
If this 2021 season is league only, do you see the Alliance and a full regular season for all leagues returning in 2022 and onwards?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I think the Alliance will return once pandemic restrictions are lifted. It seems inevitable that there will be restrictions from the BOE that will affect all public school academics and Athletics for the 2021-2022 year.

There is reason to believe the ILH-OIA alliance will resume post pandemic. One of the fundamental reasons the Open division was created was to try to avoid these mercy rule beatings that the best public and private school teams were capable of dealing out. The best were playing the best. The rest were playing the rest.Teams across Oahu were facing competition more on their level.

I wonder what the restrictions from the BOE will be. No fan capacity? 20 percent fan capacity? Only league opponents?
We will see.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

unpaid wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:14 am I think the Alliance will return once pandemic restrictions are lifted. It seems inevitable that there will be restrictions from the BOE that will affect all public school academics and Athletics for the 2021-2022 year.

There is reason to believe the ILH-OIA alliance will resume post pandemic. One of the fundamental reasons the Open division was created was to try to avoid these mercy rule beatings that the best public and private school teams were capable of dealing out. The best were playing the best. The rest were playing the rest.Teams across Oahu were facing competition more on their level.

I wonder what the restrictions from the BOE will be. No fan capacity? 20 percent fan capacity? Only league opponents?
We will see.
I really hope if the Open Division returns, then they just take the top 4 teams for States based on overall record. That and have all games count equally in the standings. I believe the OIA was only counting games played amongst themselves, and not counting the ILH crossover games in choosing their teams that qualified for States.