Is the OIA-ILH football alliance over?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Is the OIA-ILH football alliance over?

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Now that there is no more Aloha Stadium, I’m guessing teams will just play on their school fields. There would really be no major neutral site venue to host marquee games. The only way this would happen is if the ILH also rents out T.C Ching field, on dates when UH isn’t playing a home game.

Any idea on what the schedule may look like next season? I’m hoping by August, most of the Oahu population would be fully vaccinated, and kids 12 and up would have gotten the chance to receive the Pfizer vaccine. So pretty much all high school students, along with coaches, staff, and parents should be vaccinated when the next school year begins.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Is the OIA-ILH football alliance over?

Post by unpaid »

My guess is the Alliance is not over.It was going to continue into 2020 before the football season was pushed back twice and then canceled this spring. If there is football this fall, most likely there will be Open,D-I,and D-II divisions. The Open division is only possible with the Alliance between the ILH and OIA. I think it continues.

Kamehameha has a stadium with lights. They are good to go.Punahou and Iolani don’t have lights,so home games will be on scorching hot Friday afternoons. St.Louis, no stadium,no lights.

The solution here is what the OIA does.schools without on campus fields play home games at other high schools who have a campus stadium. Damien plays games at Farringtons facility. Roosevelt allows Kalani and Kaimuki to play at Vasconcellos.

Might be a return to interstate contests. Cal Lee is trying to schedule a couple of high profile mainland schools who will probably be in MaxPreps 2021 preseason top 50 this summer.

The question I have is whether the Hawaii DOE and the lLH,OIA,BIIF,MIL,and KIF are going to state that they have a plan to resume sports or not before more of our best decide to go to the mainland to any state they know will play football this fall.

Update: per www.highschoolfootballamerica.com, Lone Peak HS,UT travels to Hawaii for a game with St.Louis on Friday,September 10. I read an article on www.247sports.com that makes me think some players are already in the process of getting enrolled at mainland high schools. The article was about a combine held recently in Tennessee. One of the top performers is a local kid. The part that jumped out to me was that his listed high school team was not the local school he played for,it was Liberty HS in Henderson,NV.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

unpaid wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:17 am My guess is the Alliance is not over.It was going to continue into 2020 before the football season was pushed back twice and then canceled this spring. If there is football this fall, most likely there will be Open,D-I,and D-II divisions. The Open division is only possible with the Alliance between the ILH and OIA. I think it continues.

Kamehameha has a stadium with lights. They are good to go.Punahou and Iolani don’t have lights,so home games will be on scorching hot Friday afternoons. St.Louis, no stadium,no lights.

The solution here is what the OIA does.schools without on campus fields play home games at other high schools who have a campus stadium. Damien plays games at Farringtons facility. Roosevelt allows Kalani and Kaimuki to play at Vasconcellos.

Might be a return to interstate contests. Cal Lee is trying to schedule a couple of high profile mainland schools who will probably be in MaxPreps 2021 preseason top 50 this summer.

The question I have is whether the Hawaii DOE and the lLH,OIA,BIIF,MIL,and KIF are going to state that they have a plan to resume sports or not before more of our best decide to go to the mainland to any state they know will play football this fall.

Update: per www.highschoolfootballamerica.com, Lone Peak HS,UT travels to Hawaii for a game with St.Louis on Friday,September 10. I read an article on www.247sports.com that makes me think some players are already in the process of getting enrolled at mainland high schools. The article was about a combine held recently in Tennessee. One of the top performers is a local kid. The part that jumped out to me was that his listed high school team was not the local school he played for,it was Liberty HS in Henderson,NV.
What’s strange is that both the OIA and ILH were able to hold a limited spring season for baseball, softball, and volleyball. With football being the most popular and well attended sport, you would think there could have been plans made during these months in the offseason. Even something like a conference/division only schedule, if state tournaments are too difficult to hold with inter island travel, etc.

If there is football and with no limitations on fan attendance, I wonder if home field advantage will play more of a role in the Open or D1 games. No more neutral site games, so ILH teams would have to travel to OIA fields for road games, and vice versa.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

St.Louis players had been working out since October through the the recently completed ILH scrimmage football contests,or eight months.Punahou had been working out since February I think,or four months. Kamehameha got about two or three months in as a team. The ILH big three at least have been working as teams this year. The cancellation of 2020-2021 football has been a total wipeout for OIA schools. I can’t think of any OIA schools who have had organized practices as a team like the ILH has done. Huge advantage to the ILH in the fall over OIA schools who have players who haven’t practiced or played together as a unit for around 18 months now.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:17 am My guess is the Alliance is not over.It was going to continue into 2020 before the football season was pushed back twice and then canceled this spring. If there is football this fall, most likely there will be Open,D-I,and D-II divisions. The Open division is only possible with the Alliance between the ILH and OIA. I think it continues.

St. Louis was slated to play Mater Dei this past season.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Finally! DOE says public schools to reopen fully on August 3 for the 2021-2022 school year. Fully as in in-class learning,clubs,athletics.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

Nothing 'OFFICIAL" yet, but it looks like HS football will be played this fall. The question is whether the OIA and ILH will crossover like in recent years? Anyone have info or hear "RUMORS" of transfers?
La'akea Louis LB from STL going to Bishop Gorman
Bronze Moore DB from STL going to Bishop Gorman
Zion To'oto'o DL Waianae going to Kapolei
Jaedon Vallesteros-Garcia OL Waianae going to Kapolei
Tavo Mutuapuaka OL Radford going to Mililani
AJ Fuimaono DL Waipahu going to Kapolei

Also, St. Louis is scheduled to play Mater Dei on Sept. 11 in California.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Based on what I’ve read on recruiting sites like 247sports,Rivals,etc.,and social media pages from players themselves,the high school transfer portal is already in business.

Tavo Motupuaka is at Mililani this fall. Laakea Louis is going to Bishop Gorman this fall. Blaine Hipa is also not taking any chances and will remain at Chandler,AZ for his senior season.

Read between the lines. That Staradvertiser article said summer camp practices starting in July was tentative. Add together the comments from coaches that they haven’t been told anything yet in concrete.....well you get the idea that there are more players who are going to leave for the mainland rather than take a chance that the DOE won’t cancel football a second consecutive year.

That St.Louis-MaterDei game must have been from last year’s canceled season.The Crusaders are hosting Lone Peak,UT on Friday September 10 this fall.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Dog 96707 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:53 pm Nothing 'OFFICIAL" yet, but it looks like HS football will be played this fall. The question is whether the OIA and ILH will crossover like in recent years? Anyone have info or hear "RUMORS" of transfers?
La'akea Louis LB from STL going to Bishop Gorman
Bronze Moore DB from STL going to Bishop Gorman
Zion To'oto'o DL Waianae going to Kapolei
Jaedon Vallesteros-Garcia OL Waianae going to Kapolei
Tavo Mutuapuaka OL Radford going to Mililani
AJ Fuimaono DL Waipahu going to Kapolei

Also, St. Louis is scheduled to play Mater Dei on Sept. 11 in California.
I might be a fan of Bishop Gorman if they continue to take kids out of St. Louis and Iolani, although they've taken one of our star players.

I also can't wait to watch the Crusaders take on Mater Dei. Hope it's on TV.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

How would state tournaments be held? Higher seed hosts the game at their home field?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Early round games might take place at the higher seed school's field. I think the HHSAA will still try to preserve the championship finals being played at the same venue to maximize revenue. I could see the state trying to work out a yearly rotation of sites like TC Ching,War Memorial etc. to hold division championship games. If/when a new stadium for UH is built,the state might try to move the finals to that facility.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Per MaxPreps,Kamehameha Warriors take on the Orem Tigers in Utah on Friday,September 10.