OIA says football cancelled

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

OIA says football cancelled

Post by gopunahou »

Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Re: OIA says football cancelled

Post by Neighbor »

The most interesting thing to come of this was learning Chad Owens has a kid named Chad Owens Jr and is a senior QB at Moanalua

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Lt Gov Green said it's possible high school sports could begin in May. Two things:
1. He seemed to imply that football is out, because football attracts "giant" crowds.
2. Why bother starting high school sports in May? The last day of school for OIA schools is May 28, and seniors get done at least a week before that.
High school sports in Hawaii simply can't happen this school year. Look to next school year.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Daily new COVID case numbers are dropping to the point where it is likely the ILH can pull off it’s football season this school year.

Kamehameha and St.Louis will benefit the most. They will likely field two teams. All of those three and four deep reserves will be getting starting minutes that they would not have seen in a normal year. That experience will build depth that should make it rough on public school teams in the fall when ,presumably,all leagues might resume sports. I left Punahou out here because I am not sure that they have enough players to split their squad in two.

Even the ILH schools that have their regular one team still benefit from having a season. Public school teams are going to be rusty in the fall after a one year layoff.

Now,I wonder when Punahou and St.Louis play this spring?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:32 am Daily new COVID case numbers are dropping to the point where it is likely the ILH can pull off it’s football season this school year.

Kamehameha and St.Louis will benefit the most. They will likely field two teams. All of those three and four deep reserves will be getting starting minutes that they would not have seen in a normal year. That experience will build depth that should make it rough on public school teams in the fall when ,presumably,all leagues might resume sports. I left Punahou out here because I am not sure that they have enough players to split their squad in two.

Even the ILH schools that have their regular one team still benefit from having a season. Public school teams are going to be rusty in the fall after a one year layoff.

Now,I wonder when Punahou and St.Louis play this spring?
Funny thing is, the ILH tried to do this in the early 2000s as a counter measure to a new rule that is only allowed 65 players to suit up for games.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou: I don't see how even ILH schools can have football this school year. ILH schools don't end their school year that much later than OIA schools, right? It's already mid-February; how can any school gear-up its football team, start conditioning, practice, etc? And, if so few ILH schools could do so that each school would have to field two teams just so that the ILH would have enough teams to have a season? It just doesn't seem to make sense. I think this school year has been done-in by COVID-19. Of course, the pros pulled-off their season, but they started much earlier. And, they've had some COVID cases. I suggest we not subject high-school students to the enhanced risk of COVID that football would create. We don't want players asymptomatically spreading COVID to other students at their schools. Too risky. Some high-school kids are contracting COVID just from attending class; let's not increase the spread. I think we have to write-off this school year as far as high-school sports are concerned, and wait for next school year.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/footbal ... ng-season/
https://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/footbal ... -opts-out/ https://twitter.com/HawaiiPrepWorld/status/1362863200421650433 https://twitter.com/HawaiiPrepWorld/status/1362568870217703426 https://twitter.com/latimessports/status/1362946328372912131 https://twitter.com/latimessports/status/1362872726445203456 https://twitter.com/latimessports/status/1362862273027584003 https://twitter.com/CIFSS/status/1362872518143434752

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

ILH still planning to play in March....

https://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/footbal ... is-mar-15/ https://twitter.com/HawaiiPrepWorld/status/1363940979233890304

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I will weep for the young men and women who could not play.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/HawaiiPrepWorld/status/1365593466936299522

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

I question whether "exhibition games" are worth it. Really, if regular league games are too dangerous during this pandemic, then perhaps we should just accept that sports are simply too dangerous right now, period? Having said that, it was announced that OIA schools are looking at beginning organized sports. Kalani High is looking at starting softball, baseball, boys' volleyball, track, tennis, and golf. I think it's crazy; third quarter ends this week for OIA schools. Also, if Kalani High is going to attempt boys' volleyball, why not attempt girls' volleyball, too? Girls' volleyball is no more dangerous pandemic-wise than boys' volleyball. And then, what about ILH schools? I think schools should simply forget about sports this school year; wait for next school year. That's coming soon enough.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Good for the OIA and ILH! You can’t keep kids and adults locked up forever. We’ve watched most of the other states open their economies and schools. COVID will be around,just like measles,typhoid. Get the shot,follow the protocols to deal with COVID and get moving.

Go Rams!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Even if the OIA gets interscholastic sports off the ground, there's so little time left in the school year. Today is already the last day of 3rd qrtr for OIA schools. Yes, I hear that some ILH schools are considering playing OIA schools. But regardless of whether OIA and ILH schools are playing within or outside their respective leagues, COVID restrictions will remain in place. For example, no fans will be allowed. I mean, that would make the games empty, in more ways than one. Another complication: Some OIA schools won't have blended learning until 4th qrtr starts, while other OIA schools have been in blended learning since November; things are uneven between schools. Also, we already have both the British and South African variants of COVID on Oahu; we don't want OIA/ILH sports creating a surge of COVID here. High school students haven't gotten their COVID shots yet, though military kids 16 and over might get their shots through the military. But again, it's uneven: Non-military students won't get their shots until summer, or even later.

Alumni want their alma maters to get going in sports; I get that. But, what's the use? Alumni can't even attend the games; no fans will be allowed. Unless the games are televised, what's the use? Also, as I mentioned in my previous post: If sports get off the ground, I don't think the girls should be penalized. For example, if there'll be boys' volleyball, there should be girls' volleyball, too. I don't think the girls should have to accept that they can't play just because girls' volleyball is a Fall sport. Volleyball is volleyball; it's not the girls' fault that COVID shut-down Fall sports.

More importantly, sports will further expose students to COVID. We're simply not ready yet; we're not there yet. If other states want to increase students' exposure to COVID, that's those states' problem; let's not have Hawaii be guilty of the same. Today is the last day of 3rd qrtr for OIA schools; the school year is almost over. Let's wait for next school year, and start clean. With all the vaccinations going on with each passing day, it should be safer then.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

The ILH is having scrimmages between the Big Three. The SA and HPW apparently couldn’t get confirmation from Damien and Iolani if they would participate,although Coach Look was hoping to play. The SA article mentioned that St.Louis was hoping to schedule a club team which presumably would be made up of OIA players. I hope they can work out an agreement with a team like Trench Dawgz or Rebel squad. The OIA is going ahead with spring sports, so if this scrimmage with a club team against the Crusaders gets finalized,at least some OIA football players can have at least one last go at it before graduation.

Since the OIA is having spring sports on a short schedule,I wonder if that means the football squads could have spring practice? Schools like Radford,Kalani,McKinley which have been in blended learning mode with some students in school are preparing for team play. So,if they are playing team sports with COVID protocols, it would seem to me that they could have a regular spring football practice using the same protocols.

Just wondering about that.